User Reviews (267)

• AhmedD-828 January 2018
    For me this Billy is Perfection
    I will not talk about the acting and the other things that every film stand on but i will talk "screen writing". For me the most beautiful thing on Billy's movies is the story.It was easy to understand. the dialogues were too beautiful and well written. The sequence of events was more than good so there was no boredom during the movie. At the end i would like to say that Billy all his movies are well written and too joyful.
  • grantss17 January 2018
    A masterpiece from master-director Billy Wilder
    Brilliant comedy-drama. Starts off as a comedy with a decent plot then develops into something so much more. Soon takes on darker tones and themes such as greed, ambition, depression, suicide, infidelity, misogyny, sexual harassment and the monotony of modern jobs plus issues such as the media, advertising and consumerism.

Some of the themes are so confronting and controversial for a 1959-60 movie you're surprised they're in there.

Yet, in among all the negative themes are many positives: compassion, caring, gentlemanliness, neighbourliness.

Great performances by Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine in the lead roles. Both of them received Oscar nominations. Good support from Jack Kruschen (who received a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination) and Fred MacMurray.

Throw these all together and you have a wonderful, thought-provoking, emotional, realistic, funny movie. A true, timeless classic of the highest order.
  • Mark Turner4 January 2018
    Classic Film Re-released At The Right Time
    Director Billy Wilder and screenwriter I.A.L. Diamond were known to write witty dialogue and pertinent films that took a look at what was going on around them. Who could have foreseen that one of their movies would be as timely in today's world as it was when it was released over 50 years ago?

THE APARTMENT stars Jack Lemmon as C.C. Baxter, an insurance office worker who's making his way to the top. While he definitely qualifies for his position it's not his abilities that are helping him step up. Instead it's the use of his apartment by various heads above him for their non-marital trysts. They take advantage of using the apartment with promises of moving him up in the insurance world.

While this may involve giving up sleep when a sudden need arises Baxter has his eyes set on a top spot. He gets that opportunity when the head of human resources Mr. Sheldrake (Fred MacMurray) calls him into his office. At first fearful that Sheldrake is going to reprimand him for allowing his apartment to be used, he discovers that Sheldrake has a need to use it himself. He gives him a key and Baxter is suddenly in the office next door.

Baxter has another item he's interested in as well. An elevator operator by the name of Fran Kubelik (Shirley MacLaine) has caught his eye and he wants to take her out on a date. They make plans when Sheldrake gives him 2 tickets to a hit play. Unfortunately Fran can't make it. Unbeknownst to Baxter she is the woman Sheldrake has been seeing and is planning on taking to his apartment that night.

With promises of leaving his wife Sheldrake keeps Fran on the hook until at the office Christmas party she learns that this is the norm for Sheldrake, leading a woman he's having an affair with on until he moves on to someone new. That night at Baxter's apartment he adds insult to injury giving Fran a $100 bill rather than a gift for Christmas and leaving her there.

She takes the rebuff poorly and attempts suicide only to be found by Baxter and saved with the help of the doctor next door. Over the next few days Baxter and Fran talk things out and become close. But what will this mean for him? Is he willing to ignore the actions of Sheldrake in return for office success? Will he toss those dreams aside for a potential romance with Fran? And what about Fran, is she still holding out hope that things will change with Sheldrake?

The movie combines melodrama, office politics, romance and humor in just the right dosages to make it an entertainment where one wouldn't expect to find it. There are no clear cut heroes or villains in the movie. Nearly everyone involved has some sort of self-interest involved in their motivations. The higher ups at the office appear to be sex starved louts who think nothing of their families and only about their libidos. Of the characters here only Baxter comes across as a decent guy who allows himself to be caught up in something he isn't fond of.

The movie is a look back at the times, how things were going in the high level offices of the time. AMC's MAD MEN took a look at the same sort of behavior. What makes it interesting to view now is the social climate we're in with men like Harvey Weinstein being accused of sexual harassment. The actions of the characters involved in this film would have resulted in major upheavals at the insurance company had they taken place in today's world. That's what makes this movie even more interesting to view when put in perspective.

The performances of all involved are near perfect. Lemmon was always the average ordinary guy, an actor that was skilled at playing roles like this. He was the guy that knew the good jokes in the neighborhood, who was friendly with all and well liked. MacLaine comes off as an innocent waif caught up in the idea of romance and love but who fails to consider who she's offered those emotions to. And MacMurray offers a completely different character to those who grew up with him as the father on MY THREE SONS or the nutty professor in THE ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR. His slimy side shows here and little sympathy can be felt for his character.

Wilder and Diamond made many films together and this was one that won them the Oscar for best picture. It stands the test of time even though the New York depicted isn't quite what we think of now. But the story remains solid and that makes it a film worth watching.

Arrow Video is releasing this as part of their Arrow Academy collection. The quality of the picture is amazing to see. Many think that black and white movies aren't a) worthy of noting and b) can't tell that a restoration of a b&w film would make a difference. They are and it does. One of the nice extras included here shows the restoration process comparing images of before and after restoration. It makes a nice item to have on hand to explain it to those who don't understand the process.

But there are more extras as well. Included are a commentary track by film historian Bruce Block, a short entitled "The Key to The Apartment" and a select scene commentary by writer/critic Philip Kemp, a video essay by David Cairns called "The Flawed Couple", "A Letter to Castro" is an interview with actress Hope Holiday who is in the film, a 23 minute conversation with Wilder done for the Writers Guild Foundation, the 2 minute long presentation on the restoration of the film mentioned earlier, a short entitled "Magic Time: The Art of Jack Lemmon", a documentary called "Inside The Apartment" and a booklet on the film.

Readers may tire of me saying this but Arrow Video is proving to be a company to be trusted when it comes to the way they handle their releases. One can only hope they are allowed access to more great films like this one.
  • herzigmary24 December 2017
    The Apartment - A charming classic film.
    C.C Baxter, called "Buddy Boy" by his terrible mangers, is a lonely office worker who in order to climb up the corporate ladder allows said managers to take turns borrowing his apartment for their various adulterous liaisons. He eventually meets Fran, and through a series of comedic misunderstandings and events, they start a blooming romance. This film a funny treat that I would recommend to anyone. The writing is well done and tightly paced with some interesting twists and turns.
  • audrablum22 December 2017
    It's aight
    This week I watched The Apartment (1960). This is a dramedy romance flick. A corporate employee lends his apartment to his employers for their private endeavors until romance complicates things. C.C. Baxter tries to catch the attention of an elevator girl named Fran. Unbeknownst to Mr. Baxter, Fran is seeing his boss. Baxter finds himself in the middle of a broken love triangle and does his best to be a human to Fran despite the fact that she won't look his way. I found this film to be irritating more than anything mostly because I can't stand the acting conventions in the 60s where the actresses were in their mid-twenties and the actors were in their 40s. Come on... I think this film fits into its genre just fine. I find it less comedic and more of a romance driven drama, but it works that way. I think the filmmakers did great and I can't think of much that could be improved aside from casting actors/actresses that might be age appropriate for one another, but that was the trend at the time. *massive eye roll* This was a professional piece as their weren't as many options for amateur films at that time.
  • shadow_blade-8945921 December 2017
    Heart Warming
    "The Apartment" (1960) is a professionally produced romantic drama with comedic undertone about making sacrifices for love and betterment of life. The story is about a C.C. Baxter, played by Jack Lemmon, who wants nothing more than to climb the corporate ladder. He allows some less than admirable executive men to use his apartment to cheat on their wives so that he can get promotion recommendations. He becomes interested in an elevator attendant named Fran Kubelik, when everything begins to take an unexpected turn.

This movie intertwines two stories soon after the introduction of Fran. The main story is about Baxter and his climb up the corporate ladder while trying to conceal the misdeeds of five executives and falling in love. While the second story is about Fran and the gut wrenching love decision she has made in her life. Though a little skewed, man falls for woman in love with someone else is a story many of us can relate to. It is that connection that pulls you into Baxter's world causing the viewer to root for him. Overall this was a very heart warming film that kept me on edge with the twist and turns.
  • m_mehdi_m6224 November 2017
    Wonderful story
    The way that movie started one could never guess how exiting and romantic it will get down the road. The story drag the audience along and engage them pretty deeply. This movie is full of romance, surprises as well as great actors and actress. On color, no especial effect, no action and yet you enjoy them movie, that's all what good movie is about.
  • Smoreni Zmaj17 November 2017
    Evergreen Classic
    Many consider this movie to be one of the best of all times. I wouldn't go that far, but it certainly is evergreen classic. Billy Wilder well deserved all three Oscars he won, for best movie, best screenplay and best directing. Movie won five Oscars out of ten nominations. Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine will mesmerize you with combination of drama, comedy and romance. This is one beautiful movie that everyone should see.

• JohnHowardReid27 July 2017
    Deserved all its awards!
    In many ways, the best of Wilder's comedies and of Lemmon's performances, and by any standards one of the best films of its period. Scene after scene is worked out in terms that are both moving and funny, as when Lemmon tries to cheer MacLaine with such housekeeping tricks as straining the spaghetti with a tennis racket ("You should see me serve the meat balls!") or the ending with the build-up of the run along the street turned into a laugh by the shot of Lemmon standing with the champagne pouring over his hand.

The film has a remarkably bitter strain even for Wilder, with lift- girl MacLaine saying, "Just 'cos I wear a uniform doesn't mean I'm a girl scout!" and the office heads selling out the hero only to be outclassed by four-star swine MacMurray as the boss who is prepared to use his power as dispenser of keys to the executive washroom to reward the underling. Each of the characters is beautifully caught by an excellent cast.

"The Apartment" relates to Wilder's other movies in its realistic settings (Double Indemnity, Lost Weekend, Kiss Me Stupid) and in such marvelous gags like the Santa Claus who rushes into the bar explaining that his sled is double-parked, or the landlady who accuses Lemmon of being a beatnik because he uses paper towels.

The portraits Wilder has drawn from his players are among the best of their careers. As the heavy, MacMurray is an absolute stand- out.

AVAILABLE on an excellent M-G-M DVD.
  • Knox Morris23 July 2017
    Touching and Hilarious
    What a wonderful, touching film this is, a movie that deserves the roaring laughs and glassy eyes that it inspires. It's amazing that after 57 years "The Apartment" still holds up as one of the most authentic depictions of the every-man. Our lead character, portrayed excellently by Jack Lemmon, is one of the most likable protagonists ever conceived. Created by Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond, he truly relates to the audience on a purely human level, allowing us to reflect on our personal psychology and memories. MacLaine's character is like a periscope into the complexity of our homosapian counterparts. She works off Lemmon beautifully, but on her own she's a tragic character, occupying a world which doesn't give back to her. And then there's MacMurray, the most distant character of the film. He tries to make things right, but ultimately fails due to his social inadequacy and marital insecurity. I strongly believe that these three characters occupy all of us, even in scattered proportions. They all represent our dark sides, kindness, and constant anxieties. Having been put in this high esteem I wouldn't find it strange to declare this an ultimate character study. It has one of the best screenplays of all time, and is quite possibly the best dramady ever made. No one ever said life was all sweet.
  • JasonIK7530 June 2017
    Mr. Wilder, Your Movie Sucks
    Maybe because I was born in 1975, but, I couldn't find what the appeal of this movie was supposed to be. The bosses are manipulative lowlifes, the alleged "hero" is a spineless coward, the women are treated like garbage...and this won FIVE Oscars, when it didn't even deserve to be nominated for even ONE? There is a serious case of Values Dissonance going on, since I can't imagine anything like what happened being allowed today, as lawsuits would be flying left and right. Avoid this overrated mess.
  • HotToastyRag26 June 2017
    A classic romance
    A man low on the corporate totem pole has an apartment. Men higher up on the ladder make an arrangement with him: they'll "borrow" his apartment for their extra-marital affairs, and he'll get in good with the big boys. Yes, the premise is enormously dated. Feminists today will not like this movie.

The man with The Apartment has a crush, albeit an awkward, un-suave crush, on the girl who runs the elevator in the company building. Unfortunately for him, the cute elevator girl is involved with one of the "renters" of his apartment. The plot sounds pretty dramatic, and it actually is. This classic romance has gained a reputation over the decades to be a charming romantic comedy, but even though it's a Billy Wilder movie with Jack Lemmon as the star, it's not really a laugh-out-loud comedy. That being said, my favorite part of the movie is when Jack Lemmon strains his pasta through a tennis racket and sings the meatball song. It's not a scene to guffaw over, but it's charming and heartwarming, just like the rest of the film.

This is a classic romance with an iconic ending, so if you're not a feminist, you'll definitely want to see this one. And if you're looking for a modern reboot, be sure to watch Loser with Mena Suvari and Greg Kinnear!
  • gianlucero12 June 2017
    A sweet romantic comedy masterpiece from Billy Wilder
    I watched it with my grandmother and my film fiend friend recommended me to watch this. And I did. This is a film about love. Oscar winner Jack Lemmon plays C.C. Baxter, the kind protagonist. This film is one of my favorites in the 1960s. Shirley Maclaine as Fran Kubelik gave a wonderful performance. There is a fellow Academy Award winning actress who paid tribute to Shirley Maclaine, and that is Charlize Theron. Her character is undergoing through a crisis with her relationship. I really related to Fran Kubelik. But then, C.C. Baxter showed how he truly loves her and he cares for her. My grandmother once said "If your relationship with someone doesn't work, well, it's time to say farewell." Baxter helped the heartbroken Kubelik from moving on in her love life. Love can hurt, but you just have to wait for the right person at a right time. This is one of the films that is the greatest to win Best Picture. Shirley Maclaine should have won her Oscar for this film made her famous. So don't be a womanizer and never break someone's heart. My verdict: 10/10
  • Sean Lamberger30 May 2017
    Prodding the Plight of the Pushovers
    Jack Lemmon plays C.C. Baxter, an over-accommodating insurance grunt, trying his best to climb the corporate ladder by offering favors to his superiors. In this case, those favors include the use of his bachelor pad for extramarital affairs, and Baxter often finds himself literally shut out in the cold while the bigwigs have their fun. At heart, it's a tale of the meek taking orders from the boastful, allowing themselves to be taken advantage of for fear of a distant, looming consequence. Baxter soaks up this treatment, of course, but so does his longtime crush, the lovely elevator girl Fran (Shirley MacLaine), who's found herself tangled in the complicated web of an office manager. Both reach personal lows, defeated by the world and pestered by constant external irritations, but see something familiar in each other that gradually nurtures a renewed sense of self-assurance. Hopeful without feeling unrealistic, melancholy but not menacing, draining and also uplifting, it smoothly harvests a large crop of emotions before producing a set of forever-altered characters in the closing shot. Very well-made, affecting cinema that still feels relevant fifty-plus years later, my only nitpick is that it drags just a bit in getting to the point of the third act.
  • elvircorhodzic9 March 2017
    "I said I had no family; I didn't say I had an empty apartment."
    THE APARTMENT is a romantic comedy which, at an explicit and fun way, shows two frustrated and lonely souls in a capitalist madness. Loneliness and love have resisted to a business greed and a loose moral. Mr. Wilder has filled delicious humor with a sentimental and melancholic tone.

The main protagonist is a lonely office drudge at a national insurance corporation in a high-rise building in New York City. He allows four company managers, in order to climb the corporate ladder, to lend his apartment for their extramarital affairs. His neighbors assume that he is a playboy, who's bringing home different women every night. Soon, his personnel director becomes the fifth „occupant" of the apartment. However, the director's mistress might be a problem...

Some very sensitive topics, such as the exploitation of women as sexual objects or corporate power of men, have been masterfully handled through comical situations. Mr. Wilder had a clear goal. He has managed to make the audience laugh and at the same time he showed some of diseases of a capitalist society.

A crazy sexy comedy on the border of good taste, through a festive mood, goes into a serious romantic drama. The protagonists become dark and dramatic in the second half of the film. A very good characterization comes to the fore. Romance is lost in satirical reviews on human ambition, viciousness and infidelity.

Jack Lemmon as Calvin Clifford (C. C.) "Bud" Baxter is a proved comedian and dominant character. A character, who will discover, in the hard way, that love and advancement in a company are not closely related. His acting virtuosity is evident in almost every scene. Shirley MacLaine as Fran Kubelik is a big trouble. A woman who suffers from the syndrome of "a powerful man". They are like two sparks of flame which cannot light a candle. I think she does not love him, but, unlike the others, she understands him.

Their support are Fred MacMurray (Jeff D. Sheldrake) as an evil boss and inconclusive lover, Jack Kruschen (Dr. Dreyfuss) as the voice of reason and Ray Walston, Willard Waterman, David Lewis and David White as horny wolves.

These films are like a good wine, which has accidentally spilled from a barrel.
  • framptonhollis5 March 2017
    too lovely for words...
    ..or should I say "too lovely words-wise".

Billy Wilder's Oscar winning dramedy classic tugged on my heart strings like a strongman pulling down a curtain. Its a sweet and, at times, melodramatic ride through the pains of romance and loneliness. Its also hilarious, witty, dark, and edgy-an iconic film that kickstarted the revolutionary cinema of the 1960's.

The performances of Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacClaine, and Fred MacMurray are all splendidly done. Lemmon and MacClaine play two of the most likable, charismatic, and funny characters in cinema history, and MacMurray is brilliant in his dark, villainous role. Wilder's direction is at times simple and at others complexly beautiful. The imagery of the somewhat futuristic working place landscape will always hold a permanent and special spot in my cinematic memory.
  • sir-mauri10 February 2017
    I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.
    I'm a person who normally doesn't enjoy romantic movies.But this is different.It focuses more on likable characters and humour than cheesy and annoying romance. The greatest part about this film is the character study throughout,it constantly changes and evolves which keeps it entertaining and new all the way through.Billy Wilder is really good at making characters interesting,especially in this,they capture peoples' emotions exceptionally well and visually show how characters are feeling or going through-which ties in to the constant character change in this one. The writing is really well done as well, especially in the dialogue and story-telling.The dialogue is really humorous and slick,while the story-telling has a flowing narrative all the way through. In my opinion,this is Billy Wilder's greatest directing achievement ever.Even though it's a comedy,there are a lot of interesting and dramatic moment that push the charm and characters forward and it's quite impressive.
  • estherand3 January 2017
    My Personal Favorite
    ((In preface, my review is largely subjective.))

This is my personal favorite film and one of the main catalysts in my own love of film. I first watched The Apartment my junior year of high school. The loneliness and isolation at the time heightened my sentiment toward the protagonist, a well-meaning schmuck who does ill for the perceived pleasure of others. I was continually taken aback by the twists in the plot ("This was from 1960?!"): surely a "classic" could have themes of adultery, depression, a modern bite and wit as well as immersive black and white cinematography.

That is not to say it has aged perfectly, or sits comfortably alongside modern dark comedies. And that, in itself, does not say it is "bad." But Wilder's rapid, biting dialogue is more stylistic (at times bordering on catch-phrasey) than realistic to modern audiences. To me, it's charming, but I can see its flaws.

The film's strongest aspect is certainly the relationships between the characters. Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine had such an authentic chemistry (that I feel was later wasted on a mediocre Irma la Douce). I continued to root for them the whole film through. The personalities Wilder and Diamond brought to the screen were a bit unconventional to the time: a vulnerable male lead paired with an equally vulnerable female lead. And their vulnerability serves them well: they are sympathetic despite their shortcomings. I /want/ a cowardly enabler and an adulteress to find happiness, to find love. I remember reading somewhere that Wilder had wished he had given Baxter a limp so audiences would empathize with him more, but I disagree. Lemmon's charm and slight-goofiness make him a perfect, watchable lead. And MacLaine's emotional performance never fully treads into melodrama.

A shamelessly romantic soundtrack is the cherry on top of this film. If you're anything like me, the theme will haunt you far after you've finished watching.

I highly recommend this film to any willing viewer. You may find a bit more within these 2 hours than you bargained for.
  • quinimdb1 January 2017
    The Apartment
    "The Apartment" is the perfect New Year's Eve movie. The film is about the optimistic and kind C.C. Baxter, played by Jack Lemmon in a great performance, being taken advantage of by his co-workers, who pressure him into lending them his apartment for certain nights. Eventually, he gets caught between his boss' affair with Fran Kubelik, an elevator operator working in their building.

C.C. Baxter is being taken advantage of by his co-workers. Apparently he lent the apartment to one guy as favor so that one guy could change into a suit before a banquet, but now the apartment cycles through 4 people in his office, forcing him to work later than everyone else simply to kill time while he waits for them to finish. Baxter lives alone, and now he barely even has a home, since everyone else constantly uses it and by the time he gets back to it, he has to clean up after everyone else. It is nearing the holidays in this film, and as Shane Black once said, "lonely people are lonelier around the holidays". Not only are people stealing this lonely man's home specifically for the purpose of being with someone else, but this time of the year is the time of togetherness, and he has no one. The juxtaposition a lively office to only him at his small, lone desk shows his loneliness. Despite him being lonely, he isn't a bore. He is a lively, optimistic, caring man. He clearly likes the elevator operator who he sees everyday and she seems to like him.

As a favor for lending his apartment to them, the four men give high recommendations to their boss, Sheldrake, to get him a raise. The boss, however, knows what is going on, and he wants in. As a result of lending the apartment to the boss as well, Baxter gets two tickets to a new play. He plans to show up with the elevator operator, Fran, but it turns out Sheldrake is having the affair with her. In a revealing and sad monologue while speaking to Sheldrake, she speaks about her previous affair with him. She talks about the guilt she felt being with a married man and how she wasn't really needed for him, since he was just going to go back to his family, and she would be left alone. The worst part is that she still can't help loving him. She obviously ends up ditching Baxter and he is left bitter and alone. Once again, Baxter is left with the short end of the stick. Yet he still forgives her.

During a Christmas Eve party, Fran finds out that Sheldrake's plans to divorce his wife are just to lead her on and continue having an affair, and he's done it with many women before. She of course confronts him about this while in Baxter's apartment later, but at this point it is apparent that he wants her to be what he wants her to be. He wants her to be "fun", and clearly doesn't really care much about what she wants and thinks. She is so torn up about being unneeded and unloved by him, yet she still loves him, and to her the only way out is suicide. She takes a whole bottle of sleeping pills.

The rest of the film is Baxter caring for this woman and nursing her to health, and essentially falling in love with her. He is once again left to clean up someone else's mess. After Fran leaves, he has the plan of coming to Sheldrake and pronouncing his love for Fran, but this is turned around on him and becomes Sheldrake describing that he is gonna marry Fran. Of course, this is out of necessity, since his wife divorced him, not because he actively chose to do it. He even says he is going to enjoy "being a bachelor for a while". Then, he requests the apartment for that night. Finally, Baxter has had enough. He decides that he deserves better, and Fran deserves better, and although this costs him his job, he realizes that it is not important anyway. He goes home alone on New Year's Eve, packing his stuff and leaving to find a new place where he isn't doomed to be lonely. When Fran hears what Baxter said and done, she sprints over to his house, and this is the only time that cliché romantic comedy ending hasn't felt clichéd.

Their romance is left ambiguous, and for good reason. At one point Fran even says "I wish I could fall in love with a nice guy like you", but the point of that line is that she simply can't fall in love with him. She wishes she had control over who she loved and she thinks she doesn't. What is important about this ending is that both Fran and Baxter realize they aren't doomed to be lonely. Fran actively decides she is no longer going to put up with Sheldrake anymore, and Baxter begins to take into account his own feelings rather than being a slave to his job. If New Year's is a time about togetherness and changing ourselves for the better, no film captures the spirit of New Year's better than "The Apartment".

The film is incredibly bittersweet, managing to pull lighthearted comedy out of damaged but incredibly likable characters in very bad situations. Ironically, love isn't romanticized in this film, and it shows how love can tear a person apart or pull them together. The writing is fantastic, the cinematography is surprisingly great for a romantic comedy set mostly in an apartment, and the casting and performances of the main cast are perfect, with only one or two minor character performances being bothersome. Funny, sad, and genuinely heartwarming. There isn't much else to say. An absolute classic.
  • Sameir Ali31 December 2016
    Billy Wilder! Man with Different Movies.
    Billy Wilder is the director who comes up with different and entertaining movies.

Due to the situations, a man let his apartment for his colleagues for some funny business. He was left with no other choice. The neighbors think that he is a playboy and brings different girls every night, and drinks a lot. It was gone to an extend that he had to sleep on the park bench, on a very cold rainy night. This apartment leads to some very interesting coincidences and stories.

A very funny romantic movie. This is a must watch. Highly recommended.

#KiduMovie
  • jimbo-53-18651121 December 2016
    The Apartment is a film that's filled with good intentions, but there is so much here that never really rang true with me
    For some strange reason The Apartment seems to be billed as a comedy and although it does have some 'comedic' elements it is not a film that I would categorise as a comedy. Anyone expecting a silly bit of fun (along the lines of Some Like It Hot) is going to be in for a bit of a shock. The misleading way that this film is marketed isn't really the problem with this film though and for me the main problems run much deeper....

For a start there are so many things in this film that seem a bit ridiculous and far-fetched that it's almost hard to know where to begin; I did find it difficult to believe that Baxter would go to such extreme lengths in order to try to advance his career (particularly at the beginning of the film where a promotion is based upon supposition rather than any firm guarantees). His passive nature is also hard to swallow and this passiveness does seem to get more and more ridiculous and hard to swallow as the film progresses. In fact much of it becomes so absurd that as a character I started to find his passiveness more infuriating than endearing. Another issue I had with Baxter's character, and to a certain extent, Wilder's script is that it felt as though we were meant to feel sorry for Baxter. In fairness this may have worked if Baxter would have just been some drip who everyone took advantage of and had nothing to gain from the situation, but Baxter does gain his promotion by letting his colleagues use his apartment for their lewd encounters meaning that Baxter is hardly a saint himself. The problem is that the script never highlights the fact that Baxter is guilty of 'wrongdoing' as much as his colleagues and this results in the audience being unable to judge him in the same way. If we stick with characters then it's also hard to get involved with a film where the characters can't be easily related to nor are they particularly sympathetic and sadly that's how I felt about virtually every character in this film.

Going back to unrealistic scenarios and situations then you only need to look at the love triangle between Sheldrake, Fran and Baxter. We learn that Fran is in love with Sheldrake, but I couldn't really see any reason why she was in love with him? What did she like about? It could be his money or she could have found his power an aphrodisiac, but Fran didn't strike me as that sort of girl so her feelings for him genuinely left me puzzled. I also struggled understanding why both Baxter and Sheldrake were besotted with Fran? I mean there are 32,000 employees at their company, of which roughly half will be women and you're trying to tell me that she is the most attractive woman out of around 16,000 women???? Come on.... Even the attraction between Baxter and Fran (which admittedly is the most believable romance here) still seemed a bit unlikely; Baxter knowing intimate personal information about Fran made him look a bit creepy and a bit of a stalker and I'm sure that if a real life Fran encountered a real life Baxter in a similar situation that poor Baxter wouldn't have got that date. Likewise, Fran never really seemed that interested in Baxter and I could never really get to grips with why he was so obsessed with her? The trouble is that when I watch a film I believe in the characters and their romances and/or situations because I WANT to believe in them not because I'm TOLD to believe in them. The problem here is that I'm given no real reason to believe in anything here and I just found a lot of it to be too ridiculous to be taken seriously. The worst part about this film was Sheldrake's decision to actually leave his wife as this was the only strain of credibility left in his character!!!!

Some of the performances in this film are good; Jack Lemmon's infectious energy is wonderful here and he really does get as much out of the role as he possibly could have done. MacMurray plays the slime-ball boss to perfection and MacLaine is OK, but does quite bring as much passion to the table as Lemmon or MacMurray. There are also some classic Wilder lines such as one of the girls (after spending the evening in Baxter's apartment) saying to one of Baxter's colleagues "Do you mean you bring other girls up here?" and Baxter's colleague replying "Certainly not I'm a happily married man".

All told, The Apartment was a bit of a disappointment and considering the hype that surrounds it I honestly expected a better film than what I saw. Whilst it clearly means well I just found that it had too much working against it for me to be able to enjoy it as much as many others do. To end on a positive note, I did like the fact that both Baxter and Fran were able to see the 'bigger picture' by the end of the film.
  • Mr-Fusion14 December 2016
    A welcome adult story and engaging characters
    There's a local movie theater which is currently showing "The Apartment" as part of a Christmas movie series. Weird thing of it is, this doesn't strike me very much as such a movie. Sure, Christmas is going on during the film's darker segment, it just doesn't have much bearing on the rest of the movie. That's nothing to get caught up in, just an observation, I guess.

What I did find was a well constructed script with great characters and a sharp comment on life in the big city; it's not enough to keep up the rat race, but the cost of actually getting ahead is steep and unseemly. And it's a good cast, but Fred MacMurray stood out. His character is a woefully clueless jerk, but the man brings a kindly element to him.

In the end, this is a romantic comedy (or at least partially), and you just know Jack Lemmon's going to get the girl eventually (and I had to find out how). I don't have a favorable outlook on the genre, so that's saying something. And for all of the serious subject matter, this left me with a smile, which speaks volumes.

• nab-shr10 November 2016
    A true Classic
    What a Movie. A true classic. I've never so felt happy after a movie. It was a heartbroken moment when in the end she hear's a bang and goes screaming to the apartment door. It was a shock. A very good shock and a jolly good way for a happy ending. will never forget a movie. Of course you get this kind of life only in movies. can't get this simple life even in 21 century. wish I could live that life. It truly is a movie to watch and re-watch and a very good one if you are alone. A true classic in a true movie sense. No nonsense in any of a single scene. Every scene is so lively to watch. I've watched hundreds of remake in Hollywood, Bollywood and Even in our country. Hats off to the team.
  • Tweekums19 October 2016
    What a romantic comedy should be
    Calvin Clifford (C. C.) "Bud" Baxter is a drone working at a massive New York insurance company; he has a plan to ingratiate himself with his seniors though; he lets four of them use his apartment for their illicit meetings with their mistresses. This is rather exhausting for Baxter as he is stuck waiting in the cold for them to leave… it also leads his neighbours to believe that he is a womaniser. The scheme seems to work though as he is promoted… unfortunately the main reason seems to be that his new boss, Jeff Sheldrake, also wants to use the apartment. Feeling buoyed up by his promotion he plucks up courage to invite attractive elevator girl Fran Kubelik out on a date; she says she has a prior commitment early on but agrees to see a show with him… it turns out her prior commitment was an assignation with Mr Sheldrake. Sheldrake convinces her that he is starting divorce proceedings against his wife so she agrees to stand up her date and goes to 'the apartment' with Sheldrake. Sometime later she learns that Sheldrake has a history of such behaviour but always returns to his with and family. She confronts him in Baxter's apartment and realises that he has no intention of leaving his wife. Meanwhile Baxter, having learnt that Fran is seeing Sheldrake gets drunk and picks up another woman. The evening doesn't end as expected though; when he gets home he discovers Fran lying in his bed having taken an overdose of sleeping pills. He quickly gets rid of his date and seeks help from the doctor who lives next door. They save Fran but Baxter's attempts to protect his boss's reputation make him seem a real cad to his neighbours.

This film, from writer/director Billy Wilder, is a delightful mix of comedy and drama. His script is sharp and knows just when to switch from comedy to potential tragedy. Jack Lemmon is great as Baxter; making us believe that his character would allow others to use his apartment and would even allow his own reputation to be damaged to protect others… of course it helps that he is gaining from the exchange. He is ably supported by Shirley MacLaine who is an utter delight as Fran; the scenes between these two are charming; especially after he is looking after her after her suicide attempt. Fred MacMurray who plays the cad Sheldrake. The story unfolds at a good rate so I never felt bored and really cared about the two central characters. The story does of course say a lot about the sexual politics of the time; the way the bosses carry on is played as caddish but not unexceptional. Overall I'd certainly recommend this; it may be 'of its time' but it still feels fresh.
  • LenaAndBarry7 October 2016
    A Classic For a Reason
    Every which way - but most notably: Lemmon, MacLaine, and, the integral Billy Wilder - The Apartment is tops!

Lemmon could put anyone at ease with his friendliness, was convincingly frantic/nervous, and had charisma to spare (which is perhaps his finest quality); for Christ's sake, the man makes cooking a dinner for one not only watchable, but entertaining. MacLaine was, inadvertently alluring, with one of the best smiles I've seen to date. More importantly, she earned my respect by way of her ability to overcome such a gargantuan obstacle, with ease, I might add. That obstacle being, having to garner my pity after I'd been made aware of an immoral deed in which she partook, which she was able to do oh so swiftly; her monologues on the situation she was in were nothing short of heartbreaking. And the crème de la crème of the picture is, of course, Billy Wilder. The man behind the words that took me aback and moved me; that had me grinning ear-to-ear (Mildred!); and that will forever stay with me (I will, without a doubt, never hear "-wise" the same way ever again). If that wasn't enough, what really got me to love the man, was him introducing, to me and to the world, the two wonderful schnooks who've been took; both equally lovable and easy to root for. I can't say for sure, but this is definitely a contender for the most I've ever wanted two characters to get together. This is what warrants a standing ovation level of praise from me.

I can't think of much else to add, but if I am missing something, whatever it is would just serve to further state the obvious: I love this film; I absolutely ADORE it!