• Mike Sh.2 April 1999
    Huh????????
    If "Manos, Hands of Fate" is the worst movie of all time, "The Wild, Wild World of Batwoman" is easily the most confusing. Let's see if I understand: there's this fortyish woman in a leotard that doesn't quite fit with a strange mask over her face, and she seems to be a receptionist or something for some R&D company who holds seances on company time while government auditors watch; and she has these nubile sorority babes as disciples who wear radio watches and dance and wiggle a lot; and there's this Dr. Claytin Forrester-lookalike mad scientist and his lackey who acts like a monkey and a couple of goofy guys who drool over the sorority babes and bump into each other while wearing stupid phoney beards; and somewhere in there there's a nuclear-powered hearing aid, and a guy who dresses like Zorro, or the Masked Marvel, and some mole people and a beach party and a dumpy looking scientist, ...

Nope! I still don't get it!
  • Goggler11 January 1999
    Inexplicable. That's the only word.
    Nothing in this movie makes any sense at all. And I don't just mean that in the "Hey, it didn't explain how she came to that conclusion" sense; I mean, the events in this movie are just randomly strung together, as if the editor had just taken the snippets of footage, tossed them in the air, and pieced them together in the order they fell. It's fun! Kids, try it yourself! You can't do a worse job than these guys!

There's a drug that makes scantily-clad women dance all the time. Everyone breaks for milk and cookies in the middle. In the climax, the villain "Rat Fink" spontaneously creates copies of himself, and the clones, Batwoman, and her henchmen chase each other around a round, 5'-diameter table for about five minutes. If you want your head to explode, brother is this the movie for you!
  • erwan_ticheler31 March 2008
    I was drunk and I still didn't get it
    What the...? This is one dreadful film. I watched it but there absolutely nothing that made any sense. I saw the MST3K version after watching "Manos" the Hands of Fate a night earlier. That movie is obviously worse than Batwoman but has a fairly straight forward narrative. Batwoman has none. What is the deal with this bunch of garbage? There is this old gal that wears a mask for no good reason and leads a bunch of dancing broads.

After this all is up for grabs. The film goes every direction while making no sense at all, if it was to confuse it's audience at all times. Although the handling isn't as bad as Manos there is no redeeming quality to this picture. The comments on the MST3K version are priceless though, from quoting Doors and Who songs to rants on dreadful scenes, this version is amusing although the movie is a disaster.

And what is the story about vampires that starts the picture? There is reference on vampires what so ever in the continuum of the film. A true travesty, this excuse for a film. I thought it might be a wise decision to see this film being not that sober, but it didn't help that much. It is really beyond help!
  • mst3k2 April 1999
    END!!!!!
    Tom Servo's final comment on this movie. This movie bad. This movie VERY bad! There isn't one shred of plot to be found. There's dancing, some good guys, some bad guys, and something very bad that can't really be called acting. This movie hurt me and I think it hurt others as well.
  • lemon_magic22 May 2005
    If I didn't know better, I'd swear this was a K Gordon Murray/Mexican Wrestler film
    Watching this film is like drinking an entire bottle of cough syrup and then listening to a Ventures album while paging through an old copy of 'Argosy' men's adventure magazine. It'll make you vaguely queasy, vaguely horny, and somewhat ashamed of yourself.

But I have to admit, there is so much disconnected lunacy in this film that it tends to put your critical abilities into a confused slumber. After a while, you just sit there, taking it all in, and drooling slightly every few minutes. Depending on how bemused you are, you may or may not remember to wipe the drool from your chin.

Somewhere in this mess is a 7th grade boy's fantasy about a super secret society of hot teenage chicks who fight crime but aren't very good at it, and so they get kidnapped a lot and spent their 'not-kidnapped' time dancing, wrestling each other, pouting, or acting brain-dead. So that's fine.

There is also a weird plot thread about an Atomic Hearing Aid and the villain Ratfink who want to get it so he can listen in on other peoples' private conversations. I think. This is obviously meant to be "FUNNEEEE" (while failing on every level to be so).

There are also some of the worst attempts at broad physical humor, mugging and slapstick ever put on film. I think they were trying for the Marx brothers, but wound up doing the Smith brothers (the cough drop guys). The guy who plays Heathcliff, in particular, should have been dropped into the ocean at birth rather than be allowed to mug on film like this. And to make it even worse, the director tossed Steve Brodie into the mix. Brodie, whose anti-talent is legendary to bad film buffs, is by no means the worst thing in the film, but his phlegmy, whiny, nasal voice just adds another top note of hamminess to the mix.

There are blatant ripoffs (which I am sure the director rationalized as 'tributes' or 'inside jokes') such as the 'Bat-Tusi' dance which Bat-Woman steals directly from the premiere episode of the original 'Batman' TV show, and swiped stock footage from 'The Mole People'. There is an opening sequence which appears to be from another film entirely, juxtaposed with reaction shots from the Bat-girls, who therefore seem to watch a mugging and murder without lifting a finger to prevent it.

There is the character of the Bat-Woman herself, who looks as if she was caught in the middle when a Cabaret nightclub act collided with a Max Factor truck. Her costume makes no sense at all, and she displays all the physical presence, charisma, and regal bearing of your 48 year old matron aunt. You know, the one who teaches third grade and obsesses about Elvis.

There are numerous dancing scenes, complete with wild 'swinging guitar' music. Actually, these are enjoyable, in a throwaway 'Beach Party' way. But they go on forever, and bring the plot to a complete halt. Given the nature of this particular plot, though, that may be a good thing.

Watch with or without Mike and The Bots. Their riffs on the proceedings take some of the pain away, but you can watch this one on your own and emerge a sadder, but wiser person.
  • kerriganm4 August 2004
    Never have scantily-clad gyrating bimbos been so boring!
    Good lord a'mighty! Is this thing dull! The director made a slapstick film that takes itself deadly seriously. Huh?

And the Batwoman is more of a what-is-it. What's that on her head? And what's with the very large and strategically placed pin on her- um- bosom? Isn't that painful? Does her mother know she goes out like that in public? Is this where Janet Jackson got the idea?

One wonders with what inducement she collected about her her teenage minions. I gather the recruitment speech went something like this:

"As part of my entourage, you will be working to save the world from the criminal element. But I'm not going to give you any training, so you're not going to be very good at it. And I don't accept any girls that are any too bright. Furthermore, no fun will be allowed. You will be forced to recite ridiculous, meaningless formulae and must do so without cracking a smile. By way of relaxation, you will be forced to sit around the living room listening to me playing funeral dirges on the organ. Well? Who's with me?"

Come to think of it, no wonder they're such pushovers for the happy pills! I'd sure be popping happy pills if I was stuck in that organization!

Oh, extra bonus: totally random footage from The Mole People stuck in for no conceivable purpose.
  • Michael_Elliott21 July 2010
    For Warren It's a (Bad) Masterpiece
    Wild World of Batwoman, The (1966)

* 1/2 (out of 4)

Infamous film from director Warren had the man sued by Marvel and this film, at one time, re-released as SHE WAS A HIPPIE VAMPIRE but it's the title here and the clear rip-off of Batman that has made this thing live for so long. The story is all over the place but we've basically got Batwoman (Katherine Victor) going after the evil Rat Fink (Richard Banks) who also had a nutty scientist (George Mitchell) working for him. I was somewhat shocked to see that this movie was ranked in the Bottom 100 at IMDb for several reasons. One is that this is the only Warren movie there. The second reason is that there are so many more movies out there worse than this one. I'm really not sure why this film has gotten so much special attention but I'm going to guess it's because Batman fans are checking this thing out and seeing a pure "Z" grade picture. I can understand someone familiar with "A" pictures to hate this. It does contain horrible acting, horrible direction, horrible outfits, a horrible plot and any other job title could have horrible before it. However, as someone who has seen many Warren film, this one contains something the others don't and that's an attempt at telling a story. Yes, the story is all over the place, makes no sense and at times will have you lost but at least it tries, which is a lot more than you can say for the director's other films. This one here also has more than just one long dialogue sequence after another. We've actually got quite a bit of action ranging from fights to some silly guns being waived around. Again, this isn't too common for a Warren picture. One of the silliest things here is the scientist who has created a "happy" pill that his girls to girls so that they will dance and do a few other things. These dances are so crazy that you can't help but laugh and the music they're dancing to certainly wasn't rock 'n roll from 1966 but seems to be about fifteen years late from its target audience. What's even sillier is the scientist who has an assistant who is mildly retarded due to an experiment that went wrong. The politically incorrect role was silly but at the same time it had me laughing. Again, all of these things make for an awful movie but at the same time they keep the film moving and make it rather fun to watch. If you're a fan of bad cinema then this here is certainly one of the all-time great bad movies. Warren would take a fourteen year break from filmmaking before jumping back onto the scene with the downright horrid FRANKENSTEIN ISLAND. It's really too bad he didn't go out with this sucker as it pretty much contains everything bad you'd expect from a movie like this. Just don't take it too serious, sit back and laugh.
  • f-zuch29 November 2005
    The best B-Movie to see
    This is without a doubt one of the best "Worst" movie I have seen. It is sooo funny that I laughed so hard I cried!! I was embarrassed for the entire cast who must have at some point thought they were making a legit flick...now they are cast in history as one of the wackiest casts to hit the screen...EVER! Watch the scientists helper making goofy faces....watch the batgirls fight over what appears to be a horseshoe at a party....poolside go-go dancing...and mole people just on the other side of the beach....!! Its got to be seen to be believed! If you don't see this flick you will really be missing one of the all time "Best" of the worst! I have put this movie on at parties and it is always a crowd pleaser....! My only hope is that this movie would be colorized for future audiences...I would really love to see Batwomans garb in color!
  • Widget-51 February 1999
    Hoo-boy...
    Actually, I've seen this...this *thing* (I just can't use the word "movie"!) in its MiSTified version AND its pristine original version. Either way, whenever you watch it, you have to gawk at the screen in disbelief, your jaw hanging open in shock, and throw your hands up in the air and scream "Why? WHY did Jerry Warren make this thing?" The depressingly lame attempts at comedy...the too-obvious sexploitation...the haphazard integration of stock footage from "The Mole People" and Mexican horror movies...all of these elements mingle into a sheer cinematic mess...

If you are brave enough to endure "The Wild World of Batwoman", check out the MST3K edition--Mike, Servo and Crow's banter almost make this film entertaining. Almost.