• kmeanyonelmst7 April 2004
    I Always Wanted to be a Brady
    I am proud to be a Brady Bunch Junkie. I can quote practically every episode verbadum. I can identify each episode within the first 5 seconds (which I love to do to impress my friends). I bet I know each episode better than the cast does! When I was growing up, my sisters and I would try to cover each others mouths so that we could sing the opening song solo and a cappella. I,too, am a "middle child". The middle of three girls. I would have given anything to have three brothers to offset the middle child syndrome. Even if it meant not having a toilet (which was never shown). Jan was someone I could relate to and I thought my sisters could relate to me better through her. Whenever she was a focal point in an episode, I'd be all "see what I mean" and "that's how I feel" about being in the middle. To this day I still refer to myself as the "Jan" in my family. And if I meet a guy who happens to be a middle brother, I say " oh, you're like Peter". If he doesn't get it, than he's out. Anyway, regardless if I'm the middle or not, I always wanted to be a Brady. Where else could you find a family that let you decide your own punishments, live by exact words, help you contact Davy Jones, give up their den so that you could have your own "funky" room, let you have a slumber party (after you were in trouble with the school principal) put on a play of Snow White and the Seven Drawfs in your backyard, believe you when you say the cigarettes they found in your jacket were not yours AND had a live in maid! The only thing they asked of you was "don't play ball in the house". And, morals of the story were taught in Latin so you didn't understand them anyway (coviat emptor); "let the buyer beware." However, Mike & Carol did try to realte with their kids by using such phrases as "right on", "groovy", "far out" and my personal favorite "wrapping". Hopefully Carol realizes by now that it is not against the law. Overall, they were a well-rounded and well-balanced family who believed in each other and stuck by one another. As corny as the show was, for those thirty minutes, I secretly wished that I was a Brady.
  • roghache9 June 2006
    Light hearted misadventures of an idealized Big Happy Family
    This is a sitcom from the 1970's that is based on an unlikely premise but nevertheless makes good family viewing...fun, heartwarming, and entertaining escapist drivel. The story revolves around a blended family originating when the widowed California architect, Mike Brady, marries a lovely lady, Carol, who is herself a single mom raising three daughters. Mike's three boys, Greg, Peter, & Bobby, originally range in age from 7 to 13. Carol's girls, Marcia, Jan, & Cindy, vary from age 6 to 12. By the series' end all the kids are basically teenagers. Meanwhile, the six offspring in this new combined family together experience assorted growing up trials, sibling rivalry, school issues, dating woes, and family vacations. Also included in the Brady family is their comical live-in housekeeper named Alice.

Of course it isn't exactly a likely scenario, the blending of so many children (including teenagers) more probably fraught with major serious challenges. Here the family is both relatively affluent and very functional, with any difficulties quite trivial and always amusingly solved within the half hour. Not only do these six kids have a stay at home mom but also the benefit of the affable & amusing Alice to help sort things out for them. Furthermore, the former spouses prove to be no problem. The boys experience no prolonged grief for their birth mother, Mike's first wife. It isn't clear whether Carol is divorced but in any case, her first husband seems conveniently out of the picture. The kids immediately assume all appropriate parental and fraternal bonds with their step people.

However, the show's essential positive values more than compensate for all these inadequacies, with sitcoms generally not intended to be unduly realistic anyway. True, the Bradys live a prosperous California lifestyle in a Los Angeles suburb, the parents are invariably patient and caring, and the kids sometimes even get to choose their own punishments. Nevertheless, these Brady kids are respectful of their parents, who are assumed to know more than their children (not the reverse). They are disciplined when they go astray, taught concepts of right and wrong, and generally expected to live up to them. All in sharp contrast to prevailing modern TV standards.

I haven't really watched the show in re runs though would still tune in now and then, if given the opportunity. Therefore it's been awhile, so I don't recall many specific episodes. The Bradys are definitely an idealized average American middle class family. However, it's a carefree, innocent, and light hearted program, improbable but with good values.
  • Doc_Who9 October 1999
    One of my favorite sitcoms in the 1970's!!!a cult classic!!
    This is one of my favorite shows from the 1970's.You know the words, the people , the outragous situations! I love the Brady Bunch because I could often relate to the problems the brady bunch faced!I am the 8 of 11 children. So I could easliy relate to them . Of course the show was not without controveries. Most of the brady bunch actors have gone to other things!my favorite brady are florence hendersen (mom brady ) and barry williams. Of course I love all the brady bunch actors!!If you can relate to this show , you will love the videos and reruns!!BTW, this show is now reaching cult status!!Pretty cool for a OK family show from the 1970's!!It also was made into two big screen movies in the 1990's!!
  • Jordan_Haelend1 June 2004
    I'm in love with it!
    I love this series! I don't really care that it's hopelessly unrealistic, at least the whole family can watch it and you don't have to be concerned that something's going to crop-up on it that's unfit for your kids to see. Not one swear word, nothing! This was a family that was perfect, where no one ever stayed angry with one another, the parents loved each other and the kids and the kids loved and respected the parents! And of course there was the perfect Maid!

I laugh when people put this down for being "unrealistic." What about ever-popular shows like "The Andy Griffith Show"? Was THAT realistic?!

I love everything about the glory that was the Brady Bunch: the silly situations, the colorful clothes, everything! I wish they made stuff like this now! I watch the reruns whenever I can, and I've bought two of the books about it, too!

I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN A BRADY BOY!!!
  • Monika-520 December 2000
    Love it
    Yes, the Bradys are corny, cheesy, tacky, etc. I LOVE them! I always liked Cindy the most out of all of them for some reason. The first few seasons were the best, but the show took a huge dive once Cousin Oliver showed up (he looked exactly like a pint-sized clone of John Denver). My favourite episodes are the Pilgrim episode, the one where Marcia gets hit in the nose with the football ("something suddenly came up"), and where Greg gets a used car. Where would pop culture be without the Bradys?
  • 4-Kane14 February 2001
    Corny but fun
    My first exposure to The Brady Bunch was at age 7, when I started watching the daily reruns. I don't know why I began to watch it, but what I can tell you is that it was (and still is) an entertaining situation comedy. It's no secret that critics were tough on the show. Sure it's corny, but it's fun to watch, and it has many great moments.

One of the favorite episodes is "Bobby's Hero," in which Bobby idolizes the notorious outlaw Jesse James. It has an interesting theme: you should always be careful who you pick for a hero.

Another favorite of mine is "Fright Night." That's the one where the kids' attempt to scare Alice backfires. In the dark, she smashes Carol's sculpture of Mike, thinking it was an intruder. Carol's important message in this episode: "If you carry a joke too far, someone might get hurt."

I have always associated myself with Peter Brady, because, like him, I'm a middle boy. To me, I'm very much the Peter Brady of my family.
  • ruinously12 March 2005
    Brady is an emotion. Good or bad is up to you.
    I was born four years after "The Brady Bunch" went off the air, so I have no clue how people felt about it when it was actually on prime time television. But as a child growing up in the 1980s, watching "The Brady Bunch" in the afternoon was always fun. I think this is one of the most feel-good shows of all time.

It is obvious "The Brady Bunch" is not based on reality. If a false view of the world turns you off, this show will not entertain you. No family is this perfect, and the problems that came up were usually very trivial 90 percent of the time. Yet any show that portrays family life as this great should be thanked in some way.

The characters and the actors that play them are all great. How can you not like the young Brady brood? How can you not see the greatest aspects of your own parents in Carol and Mike? It just can not be done. The greatest roles for me personally were Bobby, Greg, Alice, Mike, Carol and Marcia.

My personally favorite episode is the one where the family goes to King Cove amusement park in Ohio and Jan loses Mike's plans. I just find the aspect of a California family going to Ohio for a vacation as delicious.

I have been watching reruns of "The Brady Bunch" for almost twenty years. This is in my top ten television shows of all time. Only a few episodes turn me off (less then 5 percent) and most of them actually make me feel very good. I will continue to watch "The Brady Bunch" and consider it one of the greatest products of television, America and Earth.
  • bkoganbing8 April 2009
    This Group Would Somehow Form A Family
    I think it's ironic as all get out that just when the anti-war movement was at its height and kids all over the nation were doing all kinds of experimentation with drugs that on television we managed to find solace in the gentle G-rated adventures of a blended family that was called The Brady Bunch.

In true paternal style the man with the three boys named Brady wed the woman whose name I can't recall, but Florence Henderson and her girls became Bradys just like Robert Reed's boys. In fact it was hard to remember that they weren't biological Bradys.

The anti-war movement, Civil Rights, gay rights (Stonewall happened the year of The Brady Bunch Debut) was something that was never mentioned on the show. Sports got into things occasionally, Joe Namath from football and Don Drysdale from baseball got some guest starring roles as themselves.

The Bradys did dress in the latest fashion though. I do remember those bell bottoms that I wish I could get into now. Barry Williams as Greg Brady wore them with style. He was quite the teen heartthrob during the run of the show.

The shows hearkened back to Leave It To Beaver with Robert Reed as the all knowing dad. You did get the feeling unlike Hugh Beaumont and Barbara Billingsley, Reed and Henderson did have a sex life. Some concession to the times.

The shows were positively antiseptic. Barry Williams chasing after this that or the other girl, Cindy not being a tattle tale, Peter's voice changing, and the tag line that the show got known for, middle girl Jan's jealousy of older sister Marcia, with that cry of 'Marcia Marcia Marcia'.

Later on it came out that all American dad Robert Reed was gay after of course he died of AIDS. In the community that was pretty well known, a friend of mine recalls meeting Reed at a gay bar in New York City during the Seventies. The cast and crew of The Brady Bunch knew it too, but as Barry Williams points out in his memoirs, they didn't care, he was accepted as an artist and a human being. That was a concession to Stonewall that we didn't know about until later.

Blended families are still fodder for situation comedies like Step By Step and Life With Derek. Those have a bit more bite to them than the ever loving Bradys. Still those kids still looked real good and I did so like Barry Williams back in the day.
  • nycritic24 April 2005
    The Stepford Family.
    The Brady's were the reason many kids, including me, resented not having that absolute sense of perfection within the household, where father would nicely preach warm wisdom (instead of administering the better known way of punishment using devices like a belt or a hard whack to the face,), mother was always prim, coiffed, and wore minis and trendy outfits while her hair got lighter with each episode, or whose maid was as efficient as Alice. Actually, I don't think I knew anyone who even remotely had a maid who wore a light blue uniform and had a knack for wisecracking jokes. The dysfunctions here were near invisible, and the show rarely if ever tackled deep issues, but over the years this, THE BRADY BUNCH, which spawned two hit movies and several retro specials on cable television, has grown to become part of America's staple of pop culture while being a study in 70s complacency where everything was resolved in a swift 30 minutes.
  • w_brianna24 June 2000
    Moronic, yet brilliant
    I looooooolve The Brady Bunch! Say what you will about them, they still rule! On a personal note, I'm in love with Mike Brady. I want to be miraculously transported into one of the earlier episodes (when Mike's hair is still straight) and steal him away from Carol. Not only are they THE most perfect family, but Mr. Brady is the perfect father, husband, man. He's charming and can solve a difficult and complicated problem by saying a just a few words to the kids. He never gets mad, and even though they live in the seventies, he doesn't have one sexist bone is his body. He's simply wonderful. Even though Greg is closest to my age, I want to marry his father. The Brady Bunch rules, and Mike Brady is da man!
  • 152311 January 2009
    Who Wouldn't Have Wanted To Be a Brady?
    Who wouldn't have wanted to have lived in that Groovy, three story house (counting an attic that expanded to a full-size room) somehow tucked into a split-level exterior?

Who wouldn't have wanted to have owned all those Groovy clothes that somehow always were up to date and never got handed down from one kid to the younger sibling?

Who wouldn't have wanted to have had no problem that could not be resolved completely within a week AND that never seemed to be worse than something as trivial as whether a boy would like a girl who wears braces?

Who wouldn't have wanted to have had all those Groovy celebrities just drop in anytime you became president of their local fan club or foolishly swore you could get them to perform for your school dance?

Who wouldn't have wanted to have been part of a Mod, Groovy singing group made of your siblings while somehow having time for all the other extracurricular activities of your school?

Who wouldn't have wanted to be a Brady? What a great, Groovy time this show was!
  • reevesem21 September 2001
    Hey, it may be corny, but at least your kids can watch it!
    Ok, so it may be predictable and corny. However it is one of the few things that come into our home via that cable in the wall that my wife and I can let our young son watch without worry. He thinks the Bradys are "new" and laughs at every episode. By the way, if you don't like it, don't watch it. That's what remote controls are for.
  • jaybabb19 June 2006
    The best family sitcom
    The Brady Bunch is a blended family. A lady with 3 girls meets a Man who has 3 boys. They fall in love, get married. This is how they became the Brady Bunch.

Mike Brady(Robert Reed)is an Architect and Carol(Florence Henderson) is a homemaker, and Ann B. Davis plays Alice-the Bradys housekeeper. These are the 3 adults who are in charge of brining up the 6 kids listed below: The boys- Greg(Barry Williams) Peter(Christopher Knight) Bobby(Mike Lookinland) The girls- Marcia(Maureen McCormick) Jan(Eve Plumb) Cindy(Susan Olsen)

Each one of the kids in this show takes turns as lead in an episode. I will be writing reviews for several individual episodes within the coming weeks-but for now I have General thoughts on the whole series.

1. I gave this show a 10 rating because of it's positive outlook on life. The values that this show puts forth is a wonderful thing because they are lacking in todays shows. Some of these include: -Discipline-when one of the kids do something wrong-they are taught that it's wrong. -Work-the kids are taught that "Your allowance is only earned-not a hand out. -Respect-the kids are taught to respect their parents and each other. This is one of the few shows that has parents knowing more than the kids-not the other way around. These are a few of the things that I like about this show.

2. This is not a perfect show. It is not 100% realistic. Here are some things about the Brady bunch that is not Realistic: A. The rosy view it paints of a blended family. The reality is that Blending a family is often fraught with challenges. B. In a blended family, The kids of the mother Do not call the father Daddy and the kids of the father do not call the mother Mom. They usually refer to them by their first names. C. No family who has a stay at home Mother has a live in maid. If Carol was a working mom, then that would be different.

Conclusion: This is TV. And no TV show is ever going to be 100% realistic. This is something that always needs to be remembered. I also feel that some of the user comments are unfair to the Brady Bunch. I think That they criticize this show because they don't like the family values that are well represented in the Brady Bunch. They hate to be told the difference between right and wrong. They don't want to be told the truth such as "There's such a thing called the power of the press-and with the use of that power comes responsibility" (this is only 1 example)

This show went on for 5 seasons-and I AM SO GLAD that they are all on DVD for years of enjoyment. While it is still on TV, On DVD-you get the whole uncut episodes.

God Bless,

Jay

PS: You can access my reviews on individual episodes by clicking on the season links on the main page of the Brady Bunch at IMDb.
  • rossif30 October 1998
    I want to be adopted by the Brady's.
    I always wanted to be a Brady. I could see myself flying down

that staircase in the morning to be handed my school lunch in a

brown paper bag by Florence Henderson. I thought the house

could manage 7 kids as easily as 6. That was my dream and my

aspiration. The thing was, I identified very strongly with

that show. I knew it was lame brained, even when I was the

same age as the youngest of the Brady kids. I also knew that

its heart was in the right place and it represented to me,

everything that I did not have. Of course, I was living in the

REAL world, and that is not always easy to take. Nearly 30

years later, I have fond feelings towards this series and

occasionally can be seen watching the inevitable reruns. Many

people feel the same as I do, I'm sure, so they must have done

something right.
  • fantasyislander653 January 2009
    Great innocent fun
    I'm gonna say this straight out: "The Brady Bunch" is one of my three all-time favorite TV shows. Don't like it? Go somewhere else.

My father was actually quite a bit like Mike Brady, in mannerisms and in his (usual) patience dealing with me and my brother growing up. Robert Reed may have hated the role with every fiber of his being, but he played Mike with total professionalism while the cameras were running. The problems he had with the show were many, but he kept them all behind the scenes. Why else would America have been so shocked around 1991 when he admitted he couldn't stand the show or his part in it? I wanted Cindy for a sister and I wanted my hair to look like Marcia's. Maureen McCormick and Susan Olsen are my two favorite players in the series. And there were plenty of occasions when I'd have gladly traded my brother for any one of the three Brady boys, especially either Greg or Peter. I myself was probably most like Jan, feeling invisible and confused about her place within the family and, maybe, in life.

For every fan of the Bunch, there are 20 people who like to sneer and make fun of them. That merely goes to prove they just don't get it. These are probably the same people who hang breathlessly on every second of "Fear Factor" and anything Ashton Kutcher was in. (The only thing truly 70s about "That 70s Show" was the set decor -- take it from someone who grew up in the 70s.) Contrary to one comment, there are indeed laughs to be had in this series. In "A Clubhouse is Not a Home", the six kids act exactly the way real-life siblings would act, and that very realism is the source of those laughs -- "Hey, we acted like that too!" And there are hilarious moments in "Peter and the Wolf", where Peter tries to act older than he is and is trying out a fake mustache in the bathroom. He finally lets Jan and Cindy in, informing them he was shaving. Jan's response: "What, your legs??" A great line.

This show is classic Americana. I refuse to watch any of the annoying junk on today's prime-time schedule. The shows I grew up with are much more appealing to me.
  • classicalsteve30 November 2009
    Banal Show That Has Nothing To Do With a Real Family in America During the 1970's--Eve Plumb as Jan Only StandOut
    The idea that "The Brady Bunch" portrayed a "realistic" suburban family has its roots in TV fantasy-land, similar to the silliness of "Happy Days" and "Leave It to Beaver". Most of the situations in this show were ridiculous contrivances that had little basis in reality whatsoever. The seed of the show was conceived from a newspaper article stating that something like 40% of families had children from other marriages. I guess if you can take a statistic and make it into a TV show, you can do anything. You can also throw spaghetti against the wall and hope it sticks.

The shortcoming of the entire show was that the writer-producers did not seem to base any of the episodes upon real-life incidences, which is where the real human drama resides, and where some of the funniest material comes from. I have always believed the best story material can't be made up; it comes from seeing real people doing ridiculous things you could never imagine. That's why shows like the Dick Van Dyke Show are so well-written and ultimately hilarious because it was based on the writers' experiences. Even the Partridge Family was based on a real-life singing family. Not the Brady Bunch whose scripts were strictly drummed out of thin air, which is always the least effective way to write if the intention is to be "realistic".

The contrived situations seemed at odds with the issues with which young people were facing in the late 1960's and early 1970's. For a time resplendent with social issues and social change, the Brady Bunch relied on the banal. (In fact, the father of the show played by Robert Reed was an in-closet gay man. Wouldn't that have made the show interesting?) But no, the Brady's situations were mainly trivial. Playing ball in the house. Bobby is falsely accused of doll-napping. Cindy makes it a habit to tattle-tale. Rather silly stuff. They never dealt with death, prejudice, love, hate, race relations, or politics.

I was slightly younger than the Brady Bunch kids (I grew up in the SF Bay Area suburbs in the 1970's and 1980's), and yet I never knew anyone who had the kinds of "situations" that the Brady's did. I'll confess that I did watch the show in reruns, but there were a lot of episodes that, even as a kid, I thought were rather stupid. One of the kids having an "identity crisis" was a recurring theme throughout the show. I never knew anyone, among my family or my friends, who engaged in this kind of behavior. In one episode, Peter Brady adopts the personality of Humphrey Bogart. In another Jan Brady wears a wig. In yet another, Bobby tries to make himself tall by hanging from a swing set. Or when Marcia becomes stuck on herself as a "star".

Maybe one of the few episodes that had a spark of realism was when Jan was jealous over Marcia's success at school. Of course, Marcia wins every award you could imagine. And when Marcia enters an essay contest in which she describes her relationship with her father, of course she wins first prize. It would have been far more interesting and real if she hadn't won but still felt the same way about her father. The fact that she wins somehow loses any modicum of interest the episode might of had. But of course, this is American television, 1970's style. She HAS to win.

Probably the stand-out of the show was Eve Aline Plumb as Jan. Despite a lot of the mediocre writing, Plumb brought a sensibility to her character that was lacking in a lot of the rest of the cast, including the parents, who were probably the least-interesting of the whole family. The parents, Mike and Carol seemed like know-it-all busy bodies who were near-perfect but lacked any real emotions, not to mention any shortcomings. I would have like to have seen a little more blood-feuding between them. That's what happens in real families. But again, not the Brady Bunch. Even the cook-housekeeper Alice was a bit more interesting than the parents.

Overall, a mediocre show at best and a contrived somewhat intelligence-insulting program at worst. I think the Brady Bunch tells us more about perceived sensibilities and prescriptive norms of Americans in the 1970's than being a realistic portrayal of the 1970's, much the same as "Leave It to Beaver" in the late 1950's to early 1960's. And maybe that's the problem. The Brady Bunch never showed what it was really like but instead tried to show us what we were supposed to be like.
  • Dan Hiland6 February 2007
    With Apologies to Alice
    The Brady Bunch is one of the best examples of "visual clutter" on the air that I have ever seen. I was in high school when this show came out. I couldn't stand it then, and I can't stand it now. Everything about it is phony, pat and artificial- the acting, dialogue, situations, premise, etc. If the producers had spent most of the time focusing on Alice, then I would have watched it- especially if she could have found a way to have the family committed to the local laughing academy, so she could have the house and the show all to herself.... Oh well, at least I can dream.....

I would watch Little House on the Prairie any day of the week over this dreck.

Alice, you were the best part of the show.
  • yasmine_ib6 May 2007
    If only all TV programming was like this
    The Brady bunch is one of those shows that make you wanna live those times in the 60's and 70's.This was the best family show.Unfortanatley,viewers don't like family shows but more of action packed shows.Today, you don't really have shows that you can sit and watch with your family.The only shows like that are on PBS!The Brady bunch series consists of problems that most families experience and the solutions are very reasonable. In my opinion,The Brady Bunch should air on stations like back in the day . Today,you can find the Brady bunch every once in a while on T.V land in the mornings. This is the ultimate family show. If parents sat down with their children and actually watched these videos,they would see how things have changed and how things should be.
  • deconstructionist29 December 2005
    Marcia, Marcia, Marcia
    If you were born between, say, 1958 and 1962, and did not have impure thoughts about Marcia you must be either Amish or gay. She was a few years older than me (I'm more Jan's age) and have to say she was every boy's ideal of the girl next door. Sure, the show was totally uncool and square, but Marcia was IT. Nowadays I notice that mom was quite a dish herself but at the time she was, well, old enough to be my mother.

Criticizing the Brady Bunch for being unrealistic makes no more sense than criticizing candy for being sweet. It was a show for kids and why on Earth would anyone think children need to be exposed to the harsher realities of life in a freaking sitcom. I think that criticism is motivated by envy and being envious of make-believe characters is not healthy. Relax.
  • cvermontman7 December 2003
    Great cult classic!
    A show that is already cult classic. One of things I love about the Brady Bunch is you can watch it and it doesn't have all sorts of the very negative problems that you see today on tv. Sure they have problems, but they always get them solved in a half hour! Plus, all those groovy classic phrases they gave us today!!
  • mum-615 August 2001
    This show rocks!
    This is the best classic tv show of all! I like it alot. The plots are good, the characters are good, and so are all the actors. I like Cindy and Bobby the best because they are sooooo cuuuuute! I don't get why some of you hate this show so much. This show is a very good show. There is no need to criticize the show if you hate it. Anyway, This show is the best! It Rocks!
  • WakenPayne6 July 2011
    After This Review I Am Deleting The Fact That I Have Seen This From My History
    Architect Mike Brady marries beautiful young Carol, who has three girls to care for. Likewise, Mike's previous wife's death has left him to raise his three boys all alone. In no time this amalgam becomes the ideal average American middle class family. Of course, raising such a large family isn't easy, so live-in housekeeper Alice Nelson is always there to lend a hand.

I Cannnot Think Of A Show Worse. This Is Me Being As Honest As I Can Be (Because I Can't Swear) For This Review. My Mother Loves This Show And I Was Subjected To It Then. Say What Anyone Else Can Say But This Show Is Cheezy & Pointless As It Is Famous. Some Jokes Can Go Like This: One Of The Girls Is Juliet In The School Play & The Role Has Gone To Her Head & After The Parents Find Out & She Leaves The Mother Says "If An Actress Can Be Judged By Her Temper Then She's Ready For An Oscar". *I Split My Sides Guys In The Writing Chair, No Keep Making These Scripts As Long As You Want, No Seriously You Are The Greatest Comedy Writers Ever*.

If you thought I was being sarcastic then you are absolutely right and I think that those laughs you hear would be the studio showing them something that is worthwhile and recording the laugh there while The Brady Bunch was playing (I think the same thing about the show Full Frontal). The rating 6.9 overrates it by far, it should be in the 4 point something section (I am so generous).

Overall I Think I've Said It: Weak Jokes, Terrible Acting & At The End Of Every Episode Everything Is Back To Normal, I Don't Mind Shows Like That But It Gives The Audience No Character Development For Anyone.
  • Kristin-James Dean1 March 2003
    This is a great show
    I love this show. These days its so hard to see a show that is clean and funny. I love seeing the outfits of the sixties and hearing them say 'groovy' and 'far out'. I guess the people that were alive back then wouldnt find it entertaining, but I was born nineteen years after the show first aired, and I love the Brady Bunch. I want Alice to come and be my housekeeper!
  • dtucker861 October 2001
    Why do so many make fun of this wonderful show?
    I have very strong feelings about this show and have always wanted to put them into words, so here goes. I dearly love the Brady Bunch and have watched it all my life, I have seen every episode several times and still enjoy it as much as ever. WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE MAKE FUN OF THIS SHOW WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? What do people have against a simple, innocent show thats corny but makes you laugh and feel good? Look at the trash they have on tv today! You hear language on TV that you used to just hear in R rated movies, you see characters that are as likeable as poisonous snakes! The Brady Bunch was good clean fun for the whole family to enjoy. When the Brady Bunch first came on the air in 1969, our country was torn apart as in no other time since the Cival War. The Vietnam War was going on, Nixon was in the White House, you had the Manson Murders and Kent State and later Watergate. You had people burning the flag and draft cards and spitting on soldiers. Then along came this simple wonderful show that showed a good loving family who were happy and solved their problems through the power of love and togetherness. What a wonderful message! Is it any wonder so many loved this show! People criticized the Bradys for not tackling realistic social issues, but I think they missed the point. Its true this show didn't portray life as it was, but it did show it the way we would like it to be. For one half hour a week people could forget the horror they saw in life and on the news and just imagine that there was a better world beyond this one where the biggest problems were Marcia hogging the bathroom and Jan worrying that her glasses made her look silly. I say thank God for the Bradys and I would say that considering the shape our world is in today we need them now more then ever.
  • famelovingboy6829 January 2009
    I like it, it's nostalgic and even funny, but...
    It says pretty gender stereotyping things quite often, eg. Greg seemed unfair to girls, like when he tells Marcia men are superior drivers and the die she's be as good a driver as him would be a laugh. Maybe the scripts had the most gender stereotyping comments behind Home Improvement. It doesn't go that far, even Greg was in tears if he was upset. It also doesn't seem to make it seem like girls mentally mature faster, Greg was only a year older than Marcia and they always corresponded with what the boys and girls were doing as if they were the exact same age, plus Bobby's long hair in the later episodes. Mike Brady was no Tim Taylor and it wasn't downright insulting to men, women, boys and girls, but had pretty gender stereotyping comments. It's one of those shows where I say how could I not like it. The nostalgia, Southern California setting and I don't laugh a whole lot from watching TV or movies, but I may've gotten more laughs out of this than most shows.