User Reviews (280)

• Antonius Block13 February 2018
    Great portrait of New York in the 70's, and Pacino is captivating
    I love the wonderful sense of New York in the 1970's that this film gives us. The characters, dialog, and shots on location in Brooklyn are all highly authentic. It's Al Pacino who really makes the film though, with a performance that is captivating and endearing. He's bumbling and ill-prepared as the leader of this bank heist, yet he's cagey and street-wise as a New York rat.

We first get a glimpse of how amateurish these criminals are when one of the three bails early on in the robbery, which is a comical moment. We also smile at Pacino's handling of the situation. He realizes the importance of the hostages he suddenly finds himself holding, but far from being heavy-handed, he tries to be decent with them. He whips the crowd up into an anti-establishment frenzy by shouting "Attica!", throwing wads of money into the air, and paying for pizza delivery. He gets into a shouting match with a police sergeant (Charles Durning). He talks to his wife, mother, and transgender lover (Chris Sarandon), and each conversation is touched with pathos, and fantastic. To his mother he says "I'm a fuck-up and I'm an outcast. If you get near me you're gonna get it. You're gonna get fucked over and fucked out." It's the outcast underdog that we find ourselves rooting for.

I love the simple acceptance of his sexuality, which is incidental and doesn't devolve into some type of stereotype - well ahead of its time. Director Sidney Lumet shows the seamy side of New York, but at the same time, its humanity. The characters are blunt, but understanding of one another when they simply say what they want. The relationships in this tense stand-off are fascinating.

I also liked how Lumet gets us into the story immediately. We learn the backstories and characters of the criminals, including Pacino's henchman (John Cazale) gradually, and in little moments, such as finding out he fears their escape plan because he's never been on an airplane before. The film works as both a hostage drama and as a character study. It may be a teeny bit too long at 125 minutes, but has held up well over the years, and is definitely worth watching.
  • grantss12 February 2018
    Superb
    Easy to dismiss initially as just another bank heist caper, it gets better and better the more it goes on. Lumet feeds the viewer details and subtle twists, revealing more of the characters and their stories over time. By the end it is as much a theme- and character-driven movie as a plot-driven movie. The social commentary is brave and innovative, especially for a movie from 1975.

The other change is in the seriousness of the subject. Initially the movie is quite funny. Sonny (Al Pacino) and Sal (John Cazale)'s attempt to rob the bank is so bad it is hilarious. However, their is always the thought that tragedy is not far away, and Lumet keeps this idea ticking throughout the movie.

Great acting by Al Pacino. Great direction by Sidney Lumet.
  • jgt-128309 February 2018
    Less that 10
    How can anybody give this movie less than a 10? It's a perfect movie in every way. The acting alone is legendary, the performance by Pacino probably the greatest single job of acting ever done.
  • JLRVancouver15 January 2018
    Top-notch drama
    Al Pacino delivers an outstanding performance as somewhat incompetent bank robber Sonny Wortzik, who, along with his partner Sal (played with understated melancholia by John Cazale), decides to knock over the First Brooklyn Savings Bank to pay for his 'wife's' (Chris Sarandon) gender-reassignment surgery. The heist quickly goes wrong, leaving the bemused and unprepared criminals and their hostages stuck in a stinking-hot bank, surrounded by cops, the media, and crowds of on-lookers. Based on a true story and once again affirming the adage that 'truth is stranger than fiction', "Dog Day Afternoon" is one of the best films to come out of the early 70's, with fantastic acting, tight direction and an excellent script (although much of the dialogue was improvised). Notable for being one of the five full length films Cazale starred in before dying of lung cancer, all of which were nominated for a Best Picture Oscar (three of which won the award).
  • dvdbvvmn11 January 2018
    Funny in a tragic kind of way
    I watched this for the first time recently and I was astonished that it actually happened.

It reminds me of "Falling Down" in a way as it is about a caring and loving person who breaks the law in an act of desperation to salvage a relationship.
  • George Wright6 January 2018
    Pacino and the1970's setting stand out in this movie classic
    I was delighted to get Dog Day Afternoon as a Christmas gift. I still watch DVDs and thank goodness for them. Other than TCM, there is only a slim chance of viewing this movie on television. Finally getting to see the movie and its star Al Pacino was a bigger treat than I expected. Watching this robbery/hostage drama made me feel like I was right there minute by minute as the story unfolded. Sidney Lumet, a director of so many great movies set in New York, knew the territory. The movie is set in Brooklyn in 1972 and it captures the squalor and the mood of the working class neighbourhood. At the time, New York was dealing with crime, bankruptcy, racial strife and the loss of faith in government. Pacino, playing Sonny, is an unemployed Italian-American in a failing marriage. Part of the story is an alliance he builds with neighbours who cheer for him as he is surrounded by police, FBI, and media reporters. John Cazale plays the buddy Sal and Charles Durning is the seasoned police chief caught in a highly charged environment between the police and a crowd of rabble rousers cheering on the hostage takers. The full cast is great. Glad I finally saw this movie, which I can now add to the many other great movies I've seen from the 1970's. Highly recommend.
  • bowmanblue14 December 2017
    Certainly not a 'dog's dinner'
    Perhaps if you sat down to watch 'Dog Day Afternoon' you may come away claiming that it's totally unbelievable to be a good film. I might have done if it weren't for the fact that I was alerted to it being based on a true story by someone else. It's about a bank robbery in the seventies that was carried out in broad daylight. It's safe to say that it would be a pretty bland film if everything went according to plan. However, in this case, nothing went according to plan and it was a total mess from beginning to end. That's what makes it such a damn good film (well, that and Al Pacino). Pacino plays the lead robber (well, out of the two of them) who managed to bungle his way through raiding a bank and taking hostages at the same time. Of course his ineptitude means that the police have plenty of time to show up and Pacino is forced to hold out in the bank with little idea of how to escape a secure building surrounded by marksmen. The film clearly rests on his shoulders and, as the majority of his performances show, he can more than handle the responsibility (which is probably more than can be said for his character!). He clearly enjoyed himself on set and much of the dialogue ended up being improvised as he almost becomes institutionalised over the period of a matter of hours, before almost succumbing to the brief stint as 'minor celebrity' that his dodgy deed affords him. There are a few twists and turns which I won't go into for fear of giving plot points away, although I will say that it's an interesting commentary on the issues of the time and would be equally interesting if something like this happened today - I'm guessing plenty of #bankheists would be posted from bemused onlookers. If you're in any way a fan of bank robbery/heist movies, or just a fan of Al Pacino then you really have to watch this. It is a little long and may have benefitted from a harsher editor here and there, but apart from that, it stands the test of time.
  • rdoyle298 November 2017
    Such a great film
    Sidney Lumet had an extraordinary talent for making movies that kind of sneak up on you with their greatness. I have seen this film at least a dozen times, and I know I love it, but I'm consistently surprised by just how great it really is and how many different things this film tackles and how well it accomplishes everything. It's a character study and it contains what is easily one of Pacino's greatest performances. (I was struck by how much you can just enjoy staring at Pacino's face on film.) It's about the relatively new phenomena of a media circus surrounding an event, and it's probably never been dealt with in a better way on film. It's pretty much a perfect film.
  • gab-1471218 October 2017
    Another Committed Performance By Al Pacino!
    I have a confession to make. As I was watching Dog Day Afternoon for this review, I realized my DVD copy was scratched and it would not play the last half of the movie. But luckily, I have seen this movie before and I am fortunate enough to remember how the movie ended. Both times I watched the film, I enjoyed it very much. Given the talent behind and in front of the camera, that comes to me as no surprise. Sidney Lumet is a very talented director who directed incredible films such as 12 Angry Men and Serpico. Lumet reunites with his Serpico star Al Pacino to create a very fine portrayal of a real-life story about a Brooklyn bank robbery. The film is more subtle and quiet when compared to other Lumet films, but the film has an unexpected lighter tone. The film has some funny lines and I was surprised how much I laughed given the subject matter, but then I realized Lumet was not trying to make a serious film. The thematic issue of gay marriage gave the movie a political edge which also surprised me. I was expecting a straightforward movie about a bank robbery, but I got something more in-depth. There is motivation behind what the characters do and that caused me to sympathize with them, despite robbing a bank and holding people hostage. You may have figured by now, but I really enjoyed this film very much.

Believe it or not, but this story is based off real events which occurred at the Chase Manhattan Bank in Brooklyn, New York in 1972. The bank was held up by this gay man named Sonny (Al Pacino) and his dim-witted crime partner Sal (John Cazale) in order to get money to pay for Sonny's partner sex change operation. The manager and tellers agree to cooperate with Sonny, but things go south when Sonny realizes there is not anything to steal because the money has been packed up for the day. When Sonny gets in contact with Police Captain Moretti (Charles Durning), he gets nervous when he realizes the entire bank is surrounded by cops. Now he must negotiate a way to get what he wants without compromising the safety of everyone in the bank.

Al Pacino is one of my favorite actors of all-time. He commits to every single role of his, even if the movie stinks. Obviously, this is not a stinker but it is impressive to see Pacino so committed to this role. I loved his performances in the two Godfather movies and Serpico. So it comes to no surprise I am impressed with this performance. This time around he brings an edge of comedy to his performance and it works spectacularly. The scene where he is being live broadcasted and he skips around in happiness telling people he's a star, that was a wonderful but funny scene. John Cazale does a fine job as Sal. I felt Sal's character goes hand-in-hand with John's character in The Godfather, but regardless it was still a fine performance. Charles Durning plays it tough as the NYPD captain as he should because it easily fits his persona. Finally, Chris Sarandon as Sonny's lover Leon does a fine job in his small role-a role that got him nominated for an Oscar.

I thought it was interesting about the political angle given to this movie. Gay marriage would not be a major political issues until many years after the release of this film, but it was interesting to see the viewpoint of the movie given how gay marriage was frowned upon during this era. The movie played the sympathy cards for Sonny and Leon and it gave a motivation for Sonny's actions. The movie does not revile Sonny, but instead it makes him a deeply-flawed character.

Overall, Dog Day Afternoon is a excellent movie. It has committed performances by everyone, especially by Pacino. Sadly, Pacino still did not receive an Oscar up to this point despite being nominated for every movie he was in until 1975 including this one. Sidney Lumet continues to bring his style into all of his films. I love Lumet because like auteurs like Scorsese and Allen, many of his films are about New York. Each individual brings something to their films about the great city of New York and they make these films even more interesting to watch. I like the way Lumet turned the film from just an ordinary crime film to a film that is intelligent, creative, and still fun to watch. This is another impressive film on the resume for Sidney Lumet and Al Pacino.

My Grade: A
  • Coventry3 October 2017
    It's OK to be Gay! It's not OK to rob banks, though…
    "Dog Day Afternoon" definitely belongs in the category of: "this must be based on a true story, otherwise it's completely implausible". The idea of a failed and amateurishly executed bank heist turning into an absurd media-circus and a giant metaphor for overkill situations in recent American history, I can still believe. But the crazy revelation that the whole scheme was thought up because money was needed for the sex-change operation of the homosexual robber's lover, well… that is so surreal and far-fetched that it simply has to be true! If any aspiring scriptwriter would present this type of idea to a random producer, he/she wouldn't receive a single penny for it. But you know what? The biggest accomplishment of writer Frank Pierson, director Sidney Lumet and – of course – the phenomenal actor Al Pacino – is that they managed to keep the essence of the story rather small and personal. All the socially relevant themes are downgraded to mere sub plots while the private story of Sonny is gradually put forward. He's intelligent but insecure, anxiety-ridden and utterly self-destructive. The way Al Pacino depicts him is righteously referred to as one of the most powerful and persuasive performances in the history of cinema. John Cazale gives away a nearly as impressive performance as Sal, the somewhat simple but loyal partner-in-crime, although obviously less expressive and energetic than Pacino.
  • donaldricco25 August 2017
    Wyoming is still not a country....
    Great film! Pacino is superb! I loved the crazy, intense arguing between Pacino and Durning! It felt so real, even adlibbed! The feel of the movie is incredibly real too - sweat robbers and hostages, dirty door window of the bank, almost everyone looking worn out and exhausted. I love when filmmakers realize that makeup and hair aren't perfect in real life! This film also touches on social issues, like gay marriage, sex change operations, working man poverty, etc. Pretty progressive! I'd definitely watch this again! " ATTICA! ATTICA! ATTICA!"

p.s. - love that 3 "Godfather" actors are in this!
  • quinimdb1 August 2017
    Dog Day Afternoon
    After text assuring you that this is in fact "based on a true story", the opening montage of "Dog Day Afternoon", comprised of footage of real Brooklyn inhabitants and locations, displays exactly what the title describes: a regular, hot summer day as everyone goes about their daily routine. Elton John's "Amoreena" is the only song that plays during the entire film, and it is played over this montage of Brooklyn to set a casual tone that is upset by the sudden enacting of a bank robbery. At first it is startling as Sal pulls his gun out on the manager of the bank and Sonny frantically lines everyone up on the wall, threatening them with his rifle, but soon enough it isn't hard to tell he didn't plan much out, as one of the members of his gang of three quickly runs off afraid, leaving just Sonny and Sal. Then, mostly through his own ineptitude, Sonny accidentally attracts the attention of a man across the street and soon enough the police are surrounding the bank, along with a crowd of bored bystanders that watch the event as if it were entertainment meant for them.

Soon the media gets a hold of this story and people begin treating Sonny like a celebrity and everything he says is given more importance, with people either viewing him as a people's champion or an evil villain, shifting their perception of him to fit their view of the world, idolizing him even when he doesn't want it. But by bringing us inside the bank, this film allows us to see Sonny and Sal as the scared, desperate, genuine human beings they were. We learn that despite the extreme measures these people are ultimately trying to help who they think needs it, even insinuating both Sal and Sonny may be suffering from their experience in the war. That doesn't make them good people, but the fact that their robbing a bank also doesn't make them bad people, and it is so much easier to sympathize with Sonny due to Al Pacino's fantastic performance, showcasing all of Sonny's fear, doubt, anxiety, and hope during this ordeal. John Cazale brings a surprising amount of deadpan humor to Sal while never feeling like it is betraying the realism of the film. For that matter, all of the performances in this film pull you deeper into it, to the point where you can almost forget your watching a movie and not the real people involved in this event.

Despite taking place almost entirely in one location, the film is far more visually interesting than many films that I have seen that take place in a plethora of places. Lumet rarely resorts to the standard and boring shot/reverse shot when shooting conversations, often keeping the camera mobile (even if its subtle movement), blocking the scenes to show the relationship between characters at that moment, and occasionally having multiple stories being told on screen at once.

Yet, although the film never feels overtly cinematic, in the end I began to root for Sonny and Sal, and began to build expectations based on my sympathy for this character, but, just like those who saw him on their television at home, we forgot that this was a true story and not happening as a fantasy, and once he leaves the cameras, the reality of the situation hits him and us rather suddenly.
  • Ian5 July 2017
    Pacino's Early Intensity
    (Flash Review)

This film captures Pacino in his fiery youth and range as an actor. He portrays a kind-hearted bank robber needing money to give to his male partner for an operation. This film is a comedy of errors and poor decisions. Nothing goes right even though Pacino has put some planning into this. Awash in the middle of the grimy and drab 1970's styles as well as the hot day in the city, this adds to the awkwardness of the robbery plan. Pacino's acting is emotional and rich and the story unfolds with some solid surprises. A must for Pacino fans.
  • alexanderdavies-9938224 June 2017
    Over-rated and overblown.
    Perhaps I'm missing something here but I grew rather bored with "Dog Day Afternoon." I found the film to be overblown nonsense and irritating. Al Pacino made far better films during this decade, like the first two "Godfather" instalments, "Scarecrow" and "Serpico." His character here comes across as being buffoonish and totally ineffectual. I found the setting to be wrong as well. The only redeeming quality about "Dog Day Afternoon," is the cast. The fine character actor Charles Durning is very good as the police officer. There are plenty of 1970s American films that overshadow this one.
  • Esteban Zuluaga8 June 2017
    So powerful!
    Loved the movie, Al Pacino was on fire after The Godfather 2 and what he did with John Cazale in that bank is memorial. Without a doubt, this is now part of the Top List of great performances. The film captures in very sober but realistic way what it really means firing a gun-shot and all the tension that derives from threatening people with a gun.

Fantastic movie, can't wait to watch it again.
  • mydecipheredcode7 May 2017
    You would want to be a filmmaker
    Even before the midpoint I was heading to IMDb for a 10 on 10 rating. Tons of bank robbery movies out there and this is just mind-blowing. Unique, funny, natural (thanks to the casting and performance) and awesome till the end. I could not get over Cazale's dialogue of not wanting to have a smoke. He may have had cancer during that time. He died three years later of lung cancer. Great performance by him too.

I can't thank Sidney Lumet and the writer enough for the experience I had gone through while watching this masterpiece. Fact indeed is incredibly stranger than fiction. I am watching for the first time and could not seriously believe the movie was made in 70s. I will watch again to enjoy, and learn. In our language, we call it "Otha, maasu!"
  • Kingslaay7 May 2017
    Simply Brilliant
    Great directing, exceptional acting, the right dose of humor and a great story make a winning combination. This is unlike a bank robbery you have ever seen and years before numerous directors made films about bank robberies. Pacino and John Cazale hit this film out of the park. Their stellar performances make this film iconic, I am not sure if any other actors could have had the same impact.

Essentially we see a bank robbery that is badly planned turn into a media circus. After seeing the unstable and excited personalities of Pacino we understand why. For a film that escalates and a situation that increasingly grows out of control it flows perfectly. You are carefully taken through a chain of events. The humor is also brilliantly done and also flows effortlessly as to not take away the drama and intensity of the robbery. The unplanned robbery, virtually no money being robbed and the unlikely bonding with their captors endears the bank robbers to the audience. You want them to succeed and possibly root for their escape.

Despite the circus and things going out of control it appears the duo will succeed as the film nears its end. The film also delivered some shocking moments. I had the same expression as Al Pacino's character at the end of the film. Al Pacino steals the show with his fits of rage, expressions and always being on the edge.

This film is highly recommended, 8.5/10
  • TonyMontana964 May 2017
    A good bank robbery film, but certainly no classic.
    (Originally reviewed: 19/01/2017) Bank robbery films usually don't get a single nomination at the academy awards, so I was intrigued to why this received a best picture nomination; the answer is simple, it has a baited plot device where one of the robbers just so happens to have a boyfriend who needs a sex change. Al Pacino (Sonny) gives a brilliant performance as the brains behind the robbery, whereas John Cazale (Sal) is simply the grunt in the situation and has barely anything to say except when he's conferring with Sunny. There are a lot of unmemorable performances from the smaller character's in the picture as well (it jumps from one cop to another in charge), and of course a cringeworthily one by the tranny or whatever you want to call it. I'll even go so far to say the dialogue isn't that impressive either, I don't care how original it is, only a few jokes work and most of the dialogue is fairly forgettable.

Though so far I seem negative, I actually liked Dog Day Afternoon in a sense, and think its good entertainment, even if it never becomes anything else. Sidney Lumet's direction is effective and I like how he uses tension rather than countless shootouts, I also admired some truly impressive scenes such as when Pacino yells "ATTICA" several times to get the crowd to applause. On the other hand the pace feels sluggish in the second half and the ending is far from satisfying, as it's predictable, simple and disappointing. In my opinion it's simple Oscar bait that only works as a one-time viewing, take out the Homosexuality and Sex change nonsense and all you have is two men in a bank robbery gone wrong; All in all its competently made in the entertainment aspect, but it's certainly no classic.
  • Riley Porter25 April 2017
    Was Dunkaccino Sidney Lumet's idea?
    I've seen it said frequently about this film that it is a commentary on the nature of media and sensationalism, and how those things can warp the perception of certain events and people. This is a fair analysis, but what I think is perhaps more significant to me, though perhaps not as clever, is that this film is a careful study of how different people react to a crisis. Of course, these things are not mutually exclusive. The media certainly acts as a major force of change both in the nature of the story and in the characters.

I think though, that the idea that this film is just about how the media affects people is insufficient. How then is the viewer meant to understand the scenes which altogether lack any media presence? In the quieter moments of this film, when the cameras have gone away and the crowd is silent, the heart of this film reveals itself. It is about people reacting to crisis. Not just the crisis of a robbery gone wrong, but personal crisis. What drives characters in the film is not how they think the cameras will perceive them (not saying that part is not also essential in appreciating this film). The protagonist, masterfully performed by Al Pacino, is not motivated by it. He's motivated by the tumultuous nature of his life which has led him to this point, and the desperation it has instilled in him. The police too, are not driven by cameras and crowds, they simply measure their actions differently. Media changes the dynamics, but it doesn't change reality. The reality is that people are brought together by a tense situation and are defined by how they compose themselves when the pressure's on.

The best example of this theme in action within the characters is in the transition of police leadership of the stand-off from Moretti to Sheldon. I found watching this film that when Sheldon confronts Sonny for the first time, I could tell it was the beginning of the end. It isn't just that Sheldon represents a more formidable branch of law enforcement, but that he conducts himself in a more powerful way. He's cool and collected. Up to this point in the film you sort of get the sense that Sonny and Morreti are approaching the situation with pretty similar attitudes. They're both struggling to maintain their composure and they're seemingly blindsided by the fiasco that is the hostage situation. Sheldon is not blindsided. They're isn't a trace of doubt or fear in him. He has it all under control, which means that Sonny has lost all power. Watching his interactions with Sheldon I just knew that it was already over. How could a mere victim of circumstance best what is obviously a master of fate and will?

The direction of this film is also demonstrative of this theme. You might notice, especially if you've seen a Lumet film before, that the use of music in this film is very limited. This strikes me as being very deliberate both stylistically and dramatically. After all, wouldn't it make more sense to play up the sensational nature of the story by adding a melodramatic score to punctuate every little interaction? That would be very meta. What this selective choice of music suggests, to me at least, is that reality is distinct from the media circus. It surrounds the characters, it influences their behavior to a certain extent, but ultimately it isn't the reality they occupy. They are still trapped in their circumstances, and no amount of cheering, jeering, or filming can change that. All that's left for them is to decide how to handle their crises. That also explains the nature of the cinematography, which also seems a bit restrictive at times. There's little movement and the often the camera is sort of just set at eye level. Nothing too crazy. The effect of this is that you find yourself, as the viewer, just as trapped as the characters you're observing. You don't get to have a dozen montages and swoop over the roof as the police plot their infiltration because that isn't something any of the characters can do.

This film respects the barrier between crisis and coverage. It endeavors to thrust its characters into a disaster and ask you to consider how they're reacting. The commentary it makes on the media is valid, and should be considered carefully, but in doing so don't forget what's happening when the cameras are away.
  • Dave20 April 2017
    Very good film with unexpected developments
    Al Pacino is at his best as a bank robber in this film. It's based on a real-life crime that happened in Brooklyn on a very hot day, 22 August 1972.

This has drama and black humour. There's a big, unexpected twist during the robbery, after Pacino's character asks for his wife. This explains his unusual motive for his actions.
  • Sameir Ali25 March 2017
    Another great movie from Sidney Lumet
    Sidney Lumet is one of my favorite directors after watching his debut movie 12 Angry Men.

Within a limited period, limited budget, limited locations, a great movie is made. This movie is still among the top list.

Based on the real story of an 18 years old, this is about a bank robbery. On a hot summer day, 3 people walk into a bank with gun. One of them is scared and runs away. The remaining 2 takes hold of the situation, The bank manager and clerks are kept hostages. The robbers get disappointed to know that the bank was almost empty. To add to the situation, the cops are surrounded.

The movie is a very thrilling crime drama. But, there are a lot of situations that make you laugh out loud. Brilliant direction and acting makes this film unique.

If you have not seen the movie, you need to watch and enjoy it as soon as possible.

#KiduMovie
  • liambl19 February 2017
    The best '70s heist movie I've ever seen
    Directed by Sidney Lumet and written by Frank Pierson, this film tells the apparent true story of a bank robbery that would turn into a media sensation. The movie stars Al Pacino from, of course, the Godfather trilogy, as the antihero, Sonny (who, as it turns out, is based off of the real-life bank robber, John Wojtowicz) as well as John Cazale, who was also in the Godfather films, as his partner, Sal, based off of Salvatore Naturale.

Now let me start out by saying that I DID watch the trailer for this film, like two or three weeks ago (yeah, it showed many important scenes of the movie, which is why I immediately stopped watching it). But after actually viewing it, I will say that this film had me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end.

This film has the best cinematography I have ever seen since 2001: A Space Odyssey. Not only that, this has the most stable audio out of any 1970s film I've ever heard. I'd also like to add this film is loaded with f-bombs; I have not heard this many uses of them in a film from the '70s since Punishment Park.

Last, but definitely not least, Pacino is, of course, the one who steals this movie. This guy gives the greatest performance I have ever seen from him, more so than, there I say it, in pretty much all of the Godfather films combined. Every single moment he was on screen, I sympathized with him to no end. To those who have not seen this film, do yourselves a favor and do just that.
  • Takethispunch15 January 2017
    Good movie.
    First-time crook Sonny Wortzik (Al Pacino), his friend Salvatore "Sal" Naturale (John Cazale), and Stevie (Gary Springer) attempt to rob the First Brooklyn Savings Bank. The plan immediately goes awry when Stevie loses his nerve shortly after Sal pulls out his gun, and Sonny is forced to let him flee the scene. In the vault, Sonny discovers that he and Sal have arrived after the daily cash pickup, and only $1,100 in cash remains in the bank.

To compensate, Sonny takes a number of traveler's cheques, but his attempt to prevent the cheques from being traced by burning the bank's register in a trash can causes smoke to billow out the side of the building, alerting the business across the street to suspicious activities. Within minutes, the building is surrounded by the police. Unsure of what to do, the two robbers camp out in the bank, holding all the workers hostage.
  • Hitchcoc21 December 2016
    A Look at the Soul
    One must look beyond the natural inclination to judge these guys as serious criminals and wash our hands of them. Yes, it's a bank robbery. Yes, these guys are small timers and deserve to be punished. But what we have here is an actual look into the souls of the men. They reach a point of no return. We get to look at them as a study in the psychology of a couple of lost souls. Acting is about capturing a character. We can hate Hannibal Lecter and still admire the performance of the actor. That's what we have here. We have one of our most successful and talented actors, Al Pacino, playing the role of a lifetime. As if that were not enough, he is engaged with a partner whose mind is a scattered mess. Watch this and see what true characterization is. In some ways, it is a heartbreaking film.
  • adonis98-743-18650318 November 2016
    Kinda overrated but still a good film..
    A man robs a bank to pay for his lover's operation; it turns into a hostage situation and a media circus. Although Al Pacino's performance is golden as always Dog Day Afternoon is kinda overrated and once it gets revealed why he is doing it and for who the film kinda lost me there, it's not boring or stupid i just hoped for something more instead of a film that is only made for a one time watch it's nowhere near as good as Godfather or Scarface but it's still a really good film and Pacino did gave a really great performance and i respect that but i wanted more tension and better drama for example Heat where Pacino went against De Niro that is how you make a great Heist film.