User Reviews (505)

• dylanholden199524 November 2017
    Pretentious movie making fun of pretentious people.
    This movie and all the characters in it are Art and Humanities mayors idea of smart. The movie for a while seems to be a type "Catcher in the Rye" type of story in which the protagonist labels everyone as either pretentious or a hypocrite, but that in the end realizes that maybe he is the one who is pretentious and a hypocrite so he needs to change or he will drive himself mad. The protagonist was perfect for that. He thinks of literature as science and adores Freud and thinks he understands all of humanity for reading him, because apparently he did not get the memo that psychology has move on from Freud. He treats everyone as stupid, like he is the only interesting person in the world, and makes himself miserable.

You would have thing that the movie would end up with him learning a lesson about acknowledging how his narcissism is making him and everyone around him miserable, but no. Despite all the meta joke about himself, his conclusion is that he is just too smart and that he thinks too much to be happy.

So that's that, he is just to high of a being to be happy and there's nothing he can do about it. Everyone really is as shallow, pretentious, and hypocritical like he said they are. All of his disgusting conduct is justified because he is a genius and he gets life, unlike the happy people that are just too dumb to realize that they are suppose to be miserable.

The entirety of this movie is nothing but mental masturbation, trying to disguise it self with a few self deprecating jokes.

That being said there are undeniable funny moments, and when you're not rolling your eyes you will be laughing.
  • gab-1471218 October 2017
    Funny....At Times
    Annie Hall was 1977's Best Picture winner at the Oscars. I don't think it should have been. It was a solid movie for sure, but I couldn't buy the movie as the best film of 1977. While Woody Allen's Bananas was a screwball comedy, this film does mark Allen's most mature film up to this point. The comedy is still there, but the movie is deeper than in Allen's previous efforts. Allen cited advancing age for his more philosophical views (as he turned forty in 1975 which gave him strong opinions about death.) These philosophical views involves what it means to be romantic, Jewish heritage, the ideas of getting older, the banality of life, and of course as in most Allen's film, a love story to the great city of New York. It also has been told that the movie resembles the personal life of Woody Allen. I wouldn't find that surprising because he did date the star of the film, Diane Keaton at one point. I thoroughly enjoyed the philosophical views that Allen had in the film.

That also comes to the crux of my problems I had with the film. All the philosophy is fine and dandy, but people don't realize how much this film is talking. People call this film a masterpiece, but they fail to see that this film is 121 minutes of talking and walking. I was mesmerized by Allen's incredible dialogue, but eventually the talk wore me out (which is hard to do). This is a major issue, but luckily for the film it was the only issue I had. Too much talk, but the words were incredibly fluid thanks to the thoughtful script by Allen. There are some memorable monologues, and I liked how Allen spoke to the camera. It is rare for a movie to have an actor speak to the camera in a successful way, but Allen made it work here. He created a romantic comedy that made people laugh, and also made people cry. It represented more of a mature side to him that people seldom saw before this. Sure his screwball antics are still here, but his maturity level was elevated by several notches.

Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) is a neurotic stand-up comedian who reflects on the demise of his last relationship. He dated a woman named Annie Hall (Diane Keaton) who was an aspiring nightclub singer. Alvy reflects over the good times and bad times over the course of their relationship and also on factors that caused this relation to happen. He talks about growing up near C0ney Island, how he had sexual desires from a very young age, and how he always felt guilty about his Jewish heritage growing up.

I've seen this movie twice. The first time, it took awhile for me to appreciate Woody Allen's acting in this film. This time, I was instantly brought in to the story by his inner monologue. Allen is essentially playing himself with lots of rapid intellectual dialogue. But I enjoyed watching him piece out the information on why his relationship failed. I really did like how be added depth to his character. He may be funny, but it's not all about the comedy this time around. Diane Keaton, whom we know from The Godfather, does very well in her role. Her character is somewhat based off herself she admitted. Her character is shy, insecure at times, but she's sweet and honest. There are some good supporting roles here too. We get to see a young Christopher Walken as Annie's brother Duane. We see two other women that Alvy got into relationships with and they were performed decently from Carol Kane and Shelley Duvall. Also, there are two blink-or-you-miss cameos in the film. Keep any eye out for Jeff Goldblum and Signourey Weaver! Overall, I enjoyed watching what is probably Woody Allen's most personal movie. He later admitted he was not happy with the film because it was not the film he intended to make. But that didn't stop critics and audiences alike all around the world from calling Annie Hall the best movie of 1977. Unfortunately, I do not share that sentiment. I do, however, think this film is a good watch. It's funny at times, but it is also a thoughtful film. I would even call it a semi-experimental film. It's a film that you need to pay utmost attention to or you'll be lost. The story is not linear because there are mnay flashbacks spread throughout. Only Woody Allen could create enough witty and strong dialogue where you wouldn't need action to complement those words. For that reason alone, this film is deserving of its Best Screenplay Oscar win. This movie is a solid watch thanks to a strong, intelligent screenplay and very strong performances from Woody Allen and Diane Keaton. However, it falls short from the masterpiece everyone claims it to be.

My Grade: B
  • mike481289 September 2017
    Woody Allen is Right!
    Nothing has changed in the 40 years since this film was made. Everyone is still against Jewish people who basically just want to be left alone, judging by the recent idiotic "rant" by the White Supremacists. Woody Allen's very autobiographical and neurotic self-portrait with his lifetime love Diane Keaton. Her character wants to be a White "Billie Holiday". Her Hollywood friends are into lines of cocaine and constant parties. The best "gag" of all is when Woody sneezes and spoils about $2000 of cocaine. Alvy Singer (Woody) makes love to several neurotic "skinny" women. He is a stand-up comedian and writer. He has appeared on TV and with Johnny Carson. It features a ton of "stars" like Paul Simon. Also future stars like Christopher Walken, Shelly Duvall, Carol Kane, and many more, all so very young. Allen carries tons of "Jewish Guilt" around with him. He eats an Easter ham dinner with Annie Hall's family and imagines himself a Rabbi. A doctor suggests that pork and shellfish might have made him sick (non-Kosher "forbidden" foods). Annie Hall (Diane Keaton) is kind of a ditzy character and can't get aroused by Woody's character unless she is high. What women find attractive about him remains a great mystery to me! It starts out slowly and builds into a comedic classic. Of course it will not appeal at all to Millennials and Blue-Eyed "Wasps". It's a acquired taste, just like The Marx Bros. and W.C. Fields comedies. Either you find it hilarious or ya' just don't "get" it at all!
  • Con-Deuce30 July 2017
    It Works Despite Itself
    Woody Allen's "Annie Hall" works despite some flaws mostly in Allen's direction. This is likely due to the fact that Allen wasn't entirely sure what the film was going to be about but the film editor Ralph Rosenblum was instrumental in putting all the pieces together. It doesn't matter how it was put together: the final product is terrific. I wish I could watch it fresh all over again. It's comedic scenes are unpredictable, Allen's one liners are often priceless. It is partly an autobiography (of sorts) about Allen that morphs into focusing on his relationship to Diane Keaton as Annie Hall. Keaton is tremendous here. She possesses everything a star actor needs: she's charming, pretty and smart. She captures the audiences affections early on and that is key to the film's success. "Annie Hall" is the only one of Allen's films that really feels human. The ending is truly touching, an achievement that Allen rarely was able to achieve (though he often tried very hard to).
  • Urek Arokov12 July 2017
    An enigma of undeserved recognition
    What a disaster of a film this is. Ironic in that it's everything it touts it hates. It appeals to a certain kind of culture especially at the time of its creation that functions only a thin layer beneath superficiality. As though just because of its constant and worthless, meaningless postmodern cynicism it actually means something real. But it's pure emptiness - there is no feeling or human soul or spirit in any of the film, and the center of it all is Annie and Alvy, with not an ounce of love between them. Plus the latter is excruciating, nauseatingly painful to watch for two minutes let alone ninety.

It appeals to the mind, not to the heart. It is exactly the kind of intellectualism it claims to hate.

The movie staggers constantly, flickering between occasional bouts of experimental wonder (I loved the animated scene) and rabid pseudo-intellectualist circlejerking. There's some knowledge behind it, but it's only mere name-drops. And again, for a movie about love it certainly is totally devoid of it. There's no real communication between the two main characters, it's all fluff, all gimmick. No genuine emotion exists in Annie Hall the movie.

I almost take it as a personal offense that the slopped-up holier- than-thou script is regarded as one of cinema's greatest. If this is our best, I fear we're doomed.
  • Sean Lamberger10 July 2017
    Heady and Genuine, a Potent Dash of Relational Reality
    Woody Allen at his best: baring his insecurities and shortcomings, muttering and mumbling his way through a string of sharp, witty statements, experimenting with film techniques, admiring the lost landscape of 1970s New York and, still, finding time for a rich, colorful portrayal of a years-long romance. Allen and Diane Keaton really make the film work, their rapport is so smooth, easy and genuine. We want to see them tough it out together, because their good times are so pure and true, but we know that fresh infatuation has a relatively short shelf life and the characters' essential differences make a longer, more serious relationship impossible. We see it all in a string of short snapshots, an expert mix of vital moments that anyone who's been through such a whirlwind will no doubt recognize. Those early, sunny memories you won't forget and the later, stormier ones you can't. Funny and poignant, with a dash of playful fourth-wall recognizance to keep us on our toes, it expertly churns all sorts of universal emotions.
  • tmfc-6513227 June 2017
    A classic masterpiece
    Everything about this film is excellent. All of the performances are outstanding. I love the way reality is broken and questioned throughout. Mainly though this film shows a real relationship that most people will be able to relate to in some way. This film has the best dark humor I've seen since Kubrick's films. Alvy Singer is really brought to life by Allen. He has so much charm that the audience like him no matter what. Woody Allen really is one of the best filmmakers ever. If you haven't seen this then you should watch it as soon as possible.
  • Dave24 April 2017
    Very good romcom
    Woody Allen and Diane Keaton are brilliant in this well-written, well- acted romantic comedy. This is one of the best films of the genre.

It shows very well how the two main characters have very different ways of seeing things, such as when he says that they hardly ever have sex, only three times a week - and she says that they have sex all the time - three times a week. The scenes with what the two main characters really mean in subtitles is very clever.

Many people hate this film, but most of them are Star Wars fanatics who are still bitter - four decades on - that Annie Hall beat Star Wars to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.
  • blumdeluxe18 April 2017
    Woody Allen
    "Annie Hall" is what you consider a typical Woody Allen movie, although he'd probably hate this classification. It centers around the concept of love and human relationships, expectations, fears and needs. In the typical mixture of comedy, drama and stylistic elements we follow a couple falling in love and growing out of it, learning about themselves through the other.

I really like how unconventional this movie deals with the topic. A movie about love and relationships is really not on top of innovation, yet it feels like this film has a sense for the undertones of love. In many ways philosophical, it raises questions and searches for answers, not always finding the right ones maybe but matching the complexity of human relationships.

I found it interesting to learn that Allen himself doesn't think highly of this film. Indeed I also liked other of his films, especially "Whatever works" more, that seemed to be even more on point to me. "Annie Hall" sometimes takes quite a lot of time to make a point and at times gets lost in itself.

Nonetheless this is a movie you should see. It leaves you with a lot to think about.
  • zhongzl-kelley201419 February 2017
    I'm 40 years too late to write this review
    I am writing this because I am totally infatuated with Woody Allen and his talkie style. When I first saw this movie, I felt like a loser stroke by middle-life crisis mentally masturbating to me, which made me zoom out of the movie. But when I watched it again today, I feel like finding the soulmate of my life, even though I would be super fortunate if I ever meet him someday. The Jewish intellectual that carries an overwhelming charm and humor gradually gets me and fixated himself in my mindset, and I feel like as if he has already been a part of my personality. I like him immensely, and I also feel like Annie Hall, whose insecurity and clumsiness with words when being nervous are actually adorable.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the part when Alvy Singer drags Marshall McLuan out behind a poster frame and confront the Columbia professor that teaches his ideology. Because Marshall McLuhan claims that the content doesn't matter, it is the medium itself that matter. In another world, what Woody Allen says in Annie Hall doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is that I am watching Annie Hall in a foreign website through my phone, which undermines Woody Allen's whole existence in my experience with Annie Hall, yet all I can think of is Woody Allen's mysterious character when I watch this movie. And I love it when Annie's soul is detached from her body and sit on the chair talking about drawings when Alvy is trying to make love to her. When Annie said:"It's OK, you have my body." Allen said:"No, but I want the whole thing." I think that's the most romantic thing you can say to a girl.

There are only several films I can clap and laugh to, and this is one of them.
  • dougdoepke5 February 2017
    A Neat(!) Movie
    It's a really funny movie. The romantic storyline is quirky, mainly a curdled Alvy's (Allen) observations on life. So if you don't find this quip amusing, the next will fly by in a flash. Director Allen keeps things moving like a NASCAR rally. Oh, but there's the utterly charming Annie (Keaton). Her ditzy manner is so captivating, I couldn't take my eyes off that perpetual smile. But what's she got to smile about. Alvy sees only life's downsides even if in amusing fashion. The goof ball doesn't realize what a gem he's got, so wrapped up is he in his own curdled world.

Allen blends talking to the camera, cartoon inserts, thought captions, and flashbacks in seamless fashion. You never know what's coming next, except it'll be funny. I had my doubts when I turned on the movie, like maybe Allen's been over-praised. But I have to admit, it's a one-of-a-kind that takes a lot of risks, but scores big-time.
  • ironhorse_iv29 January 2017
    If they ever made a Hall of Fame for great movies of the 1970s. Anne Hall really does belong on that list.
    Though some people prefer 1979's 'Manhattan', 'Annie Hall' is generally regarded as the one of the best in Woody Allen's pretty solid filmmaking career. Worthy of the many Academy Awards, they won. This romantic-comedy was amazing, even if writer/director/actor Woody Allen kinda hates it. It's a classic that still relevant even today. Made during an era, where Allen was transforming from making silly, yet funny broad slapstick comedies to dramatic mature material that are somewhat good, but boring films, influenced by European art cinema. The film was indeed made at the right time. Full of priceless, witty and quotable one-liners, clever break the fourth wall jokes, beautiful cinematography, charming music, outstanding animation, wonderful complex supporting characters played by up and coming actors and actresses like Jeff Goldblum, Carol Kane, Sigourney Weaver, Christopher Walken, Beverly D'Angelo, Shelley Duvall, and fun cameos like philosopher, Marshall McLuhan & singer, Paul Simon made this great. I like how this movie, not only tells the fictional love story of a fixated New York comedian Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) with a ditzy, aspiring singer Annie Hall (Diane Keaton); but give us, insight on the then-relationship between writer/director Woody Allen and his co-star, Diane Keaton and why the relationship didn't work. Several references in the film mirror Allen's own life, such as using Diane Keaton's original last name for Annie, and having his character, be a Jewish comedian living in New York has made most film critics believe profoundly that this film is just another of Allen's deep autobiographical. However, Allen is quick to dispel these suggestions, saying, the film is so exaggerated that it's virtually meaningless to the people that it was loosely based on. Regardless on his beliefs, the film is truly self-reflexive. It's hard to denial that Annie Hall does capitalized on many of the ingredients that had been the content of his earlier films, the subjects of cultural stereotypes, romantic angst, drugs, death, his use of therapy and analysis for comic effect, and his obsessive love of New York & his dislike of Los Angeles. Added to that, is his introspective neuroses and pessimism, his requisite jokes and psychosexual frustration about sex, numerous put-downs of his own appearance and personality, and distorted memories of his childhood. And Allen's script keeps going with scenes of stylistic strategies and cinematic techniques that support the fragmented nature of the film, such as the direct addresses to the camera style with voice over commentary, the adult time-travel back to childhood sequence & the sudden production of a real-life character. Added the double-exposed action, and the subtitled that contradict the action, and you got yourself, a very long, but unique film. Honestly, if Woody Allen didn't have editor, Ralph Rosenblum, this film could had gone forever. That seems to be a common problem with most of Allen's films. It just doesn't know how to pace itself. Many shots for this film, had to be eliminated or severely shorted, just to allow the audience enough time to digest it all. As much as I like the backstory of Alvy. In truth, I really came to see Annie Hall. Even Allen admit that he went overboard, saying he would had cut a lot of opening scenes about Alvy in order to introduce Keaton's character, faster. Diane Keaton really does shines in this role. She really does deserve the Best Actress win that year. An understated and subtle performance. I like how great, she was able to show character development, showing that Anne Hall does have confidence and that she can stand on her ownright. It's like a Pygmalion-like story. Just look at the scene where she sing 'Seem like Old Times'. Plus, the way, Keaton's idea to choose to dress Hall with mismatched of conglomeration of men's dress clothes was very influence to fashion. Absolutely gorgeous. Don't get me wrong, while, Allen's persona of playing characters with an insecure, intellectual, fretful nebbish is a bit tiresome old shtick, there was nothing too annoying about his shrill and nasal character here. I just like Keaton's performance, better. I also just glad, the film didn't kept the original murder mystery. It would feel, out of place from the rest of the story. Allen would indeed, later directed murder mysteries to satisfy that need with 1992's 'Shadows and Fog' and 1993's 'Manhattan Murder Mystery' retooled and taken from this script. Another thing, I'm glad, this movie didn't kept, was the titled, 'Anhedonia'. It truly could had been a state of acute melancholia. 'Annie Hall' makes more sense than any of the alternative titles, they were thinking like 'A Roller Coaster Named Desire', 'Me and My Goy' & 'It had to be Jew'. Overall: While, some critics might hate the movie for having a first world conflict and being a bit self-centered. With only a few flaws, this movie will continue to remind a classic romantic comedy for most, and I have to agree. It's one of the best film ever made. Definitely worth watching. La Dee, La Dah.
  • Izzy27 December 2016
    genuinely funny film
    Annie Hall's directed by Woody Allen, costume design by Ruth Morley, screenplay by Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman, and stars Woody Allen and Diane Keaton.

Annie Hall's purpose is to show us what happened between Alvy and Annie and why their relationship did not work out, it takes us through all the steps and takes us to his early childhood all the way to when he was dating Annie.

Annie Hall follows the life of Alvy Singer, a prolific comedian who (is basically Woody Allen) becomes famous and behind closed doors, is extremely paranoid and worries about everything, he would come off as having neurotic behavior and seems to be suspicious about people. Every since he was a child he has questioned everything and was very intellectual, he has always been more 'advanced' than his colleagues at school, he has always been superior to everyone around him and always knew more, now that he is an adult, he is the underdog of modern society when it comes to being an individual rather than a so-called 'celebrity' and cannot seem to go anywhere without being noticed.

I think he starts off telling us about his childhood so we can get a glimpse at why he is the way he is, we can also now understand his tendencies a lot more as now they do not just come out of the blue. And then we meet Annie Hall herself, she has a headache and is in a bad mood and does not have the patience nor energy to listen to Alvy complain again and again. He seems very apathetic towards Annie and doesn't even question her headache, he just thinks she is on her period, that is what he always thinks whenever Annie is in a bad mood, he does not care enough to even ask. Their plan was to go to the movies but it stared 2 MINUTES AGO, Alvy gets too self conscious and decides not to go in, he over exaggerates the situation and so they go spend their time trying to watch a different film. Alvy comes off as being hostile and quite selfish in a sense, always wanting or needing and never really topping to think.

They go wait in line for movie tickets and while they are in line a man keeps talking into Alvy's ear, he can't help but listen and he starts to get irritated. He makes commentary while the man keeps talking about directors he likes and dislikes and why, then Alvy and Annie discuss their inactive sexual life quite loudly and then the man goes back to talking again. The break the man took just for them to talk about their sexual life was quite funny but what comes after that is even funnier. The fact that he is not even aware that Alvy and Annie are talking about him is funny and the comedic commentary is also a good touch. Then he breaks the fourth wall and they have an argument right at the camera about Marshall McLuhan, a known professor of media theory and this is the best part. It is a battle between intellectuals if their field and it is done so well.

The entire film has that sort of motion of fast paced comedic commentary, quick jokes, quirky fashion, good directing, surrealism, dark humour I mean it has the entire woody Allen experience. I actually really like this movie, one of my favorites, I wish Woody Allen still had the opportunity to make films like this, he still has the talent but opportunity is short, not many people can do this type of comedy and make it work on screen and if they manage to do so it will probably look forced or be very unfunny and not feel authentic or natural enough to be good.

Then we get a moment where they once again, discuss their sex life, they bring that conversation full circle and Alvy complains about how they have not had sex in months and he used to be sexy and they used to have sex constantly. This scene shows how sexually lackluster their relationship is and how distant they have grown. You can already start to pin point where the relationship starts to slip through the cracks a little bit. The film goes on like that for a while and that is how we see these characters, mostly through Alvy's perspective which is always exaggerated but they do have their moments of affection.

New York is important in this film, it's politics and it's culture are all pivotal to understanding this film, you have to be able to think about what is being said and apply it to what Alvy is going through in the story. You can see the deep down issues with Alvy as well as the women he dates, he dates women who are completely opposite to himself, Annie is ditsy and a hopeless romantic happy go lucky woman and Alvy just likes to be paranoid about everything, make heat of the moment jokes and try to have sex with his ladies.

Annie Hall has it's beautiful, soft moments where it is just Annie and Alvy together having a good time, while it has moments of self analysis, sexual discovery, political commentary and critiques of the human condition and society's uneducated intellectuals and relationships in general.
  • Takethispunch18 December 2016
    incredible screenplay
    The comedian Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) is trying to understand why his relationship with Annie Hall (Diane Keaton) ended a year ago. Growing up in New York, he vexed his mother with impossible questions about the emptiness of existence, but he was precocious about his innocent sexual curiosity.

Annie and Alvy, in a line for The Sorrow and the Pity, overhear another man deriding the work of Federico Fellini and Marshall McLuhan; McLuhan himself steps in at Alvy's invitation to criticize the man's comprehension. That night, Annie shows no interest in sex with Alvy. Instead, they discuss his first wife (Carol Kane), whose ardor gave him no pleasure. His second marriage was to a New York writer who didn't like sports and was unable to reach orgasm.
  • oOoBarracuda21 November 2016
    I luff you, two "f's"
    I am, unapologetically so, a big fan of Woody Allen's work. Annie Hall, directed by Allen in 1977, was one of the great masterworks of his career. Starring Woody Allen, and Diane Keaton in the titular role, Annie Hall presents the lives of socially awkward, incredibly neurotic individuals, who are perfect only for each other, from the beginning to the end of their relationship. Woody Allen always injects a bit of himself in each film he has directed, Annie Hall, however, may be the most self-actualizing of Allen's films that audiences have ever seen. Idiosyncracies and nuances commonly known to be those of Allen's himself, give the audiences an insight into one of the most famed directors of our time.

Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) has the only career he could possibly have, he is a comedian. Not that Alvy isn't intelligent, he is, or that he isn't capable of doing anything else, he would be, it's just that Alvy is an incredibly introspective and pensive individual who uses his own self-realizations to influence his comedy. At the beginning of the film, the audience learns that Alvy has broken up with the titular character and the succeeding film is his exploration of that relationship, in hopes to discover why it ended. Alvy is so stricken by the ending of his relationship with Annie because he truly believes that his 15+ years of psychological analysis has solved his problems which should have ensured his relationship with Annie would last. On the surface, the high-brow New Yorker Alvy, and the flighty Midwestern-born Annie would have no success in a union, yet, their peculiarities were such that they ended up being perfect for each other, or so it seemed. Perhaps it's his much discussed Jewish guilt or just his introspective nature, but Alvy just can't let go of his relationship with Annie Hall until he has come to a logical reason for why it ended.

The introspective nature which Allen used as a vehicle for Annie Hall was brilliant and surely added to the host of reasons in which Annie Hall took Oscar's top prize for 1977. Annie Hall does something movies rarely get away with by breaking the 4th wall. Annie Hall breaks the wall so perfectly because the breaks add to the film, rather than take the audience away from the film. The technical aspects of this movie make it a dream to watch. The film is done almost exclusively using long takes, which are gutsy, but suited the conversational nature of Annie Hall to perfection. Another great technical attribute of mention is the title cards to input English on the "foreign language" scene on the roof. The script in which Allen penned in cooperation with Marshall Brickman was pure cinematic gold. One of my favorite scenes of all- time is contained within this film; the scene in which Alvy and Annie are in line at a movie theater and a guest behind them is loudly giving his sanctimonious opinion of the film in which they are about to see. Alvy is unable to hold his tongue any longer as the diatribe continues and he interrupts the gentleman to give his opinion, point out the flaws in his argument, and introduce him to the writer of the source material to further prove how wrong he was. This moment, though it happened only in Alvy's mind, was perfect, because who hasn't this happened to? Speaking of relatability, Alvy's character is one in which most everyone can relate to. Though probably not all of Alvy's mannerisms are present in one person at any given time, there are certainly many idiosyncracies one can identify in themselves that is present on screen in Allen's Alvy.

As noted, I am a huge fan of Woody Allen's work. His ability to pull the worst parts of himself and humanity from his own being and put it on screen for others to realize they also possess are extraordinary. I can't think of any other modern director who nails the human aspects in their films like Allen can. Everything about Annie Hall works, even the parts that shouldn't. The split-screens, the breaking of the wall, the "meeting the past" it all works the way Allen puts it together. Has there ever been any criticism of this film? I'm sure there has been, I'm just not aware of it. It is for good reason Annie Hall won Best Picture, Best Director, a Best Actor nod for Allen, and Best Original Screenplay; and one doesn't even have to be a fan of Allen's work in order to appreciate his master work, Annie Hall.
  • 85122225 October 2016
    Brilliant Wrtting and Amazing Acting Carries This Delightfull Movie
    Greetings from Lithuania.

"Annie Hall" (1977) is a brilliantly acted and written romance / comedy / drama. Movie was really funny, more then i thought will be. Directing and especially writing by Woody Allen were just brilliant. Acting by Diane Keaton was amazing to say the least - this wasn't acting - this was a real person right in front of us, this is probably her best performance, her crowning achievement, although i always liked her. The story itself is very simple yet, again, amazingly written.

Overall, "Annie Hall" is a delight from start till finish. Very funny, very smart, superbly written and wonderfully acted this is a great movie on all accounts.
  • writers_reign23 September 2016
    Deck The Hall
    I enjoyed this as much if not more than any Woody Allen movie I've seen and I've seen most of them. The early titles, what we may call the First Wave were rightly viewed as a series of sketches with little or no unifying theme, reminding us of nothing so much as Oscar Wilde's lifelong desire to write a play with no plot just a string of epigrams. Then came the phase of more linear story lines which lost the one-liners followed by the current phase in which he no longer appears himself but employs actors to play 'Woody Allen' type characters. With Annie Hall the one-liners come thick and fast and 90 per cent of them are thrown away and punctuated by two sequences in which Diane Keaton sings in her own voice; the first time it's the old Gus Kahn standard It Had To Be You, which is interrupted by philistine customers in the club concerned and the second time it a sadly neglected number from 1945, Seems Like Old Times, which does, of course, double as a comment on the relationship of the two principals. In one sense The Way We Were explores very similar territory and would make an excellent double bill. Entertaining, Enjoyable, Bittersweet.
  • studioAT12 September 2016
    I didn't get the hype.
    People love 'Annie Hall'. They rave about it and regularly claim it's the most influential film on their lives.

So I watched it. And I can't say it did much for me. Sorry.

I think it's mainly down to the fact that I found Woody Allen's character annoying. Yes, it was endearing for a bit, but over the course of the film I lost patience with him and his neurotic behaviour.

At times it felt more like a collection of sketches rather than a film, with some being funny, and others not.

My review is largely pointless, I know. Those that love 'Annie Hall' will continue to watch it and get others to do so too. But for me 'Annie Hall' is a tad overrated.
  • Eddie Cantillo9 September 2016
    Annie Hall Review
    Annie Hall(1977) Starring: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts, Carol Kane, Paul Simon, Shelley Duvall, Janet Margolin, Christopher Walken, and Colleen Dewhurst Directed By: Woody Allen Review A NERVOUS ROMANCE Hello Kiddies your pal the Cupid Critic here with one of the most influential romantic comedies that had it's own and beat Star Wars at the Oscars for Best Picture. Alvy Singer(Woody Allen) is one of Manhattan's most brilliant comedians, but when it comes to romance, his delivery needs a little work. Introduced by his best friend Rob(Tony Roberts) Alvy falls in love with the ditzy but delightful nightclub singer Annie Hall(Diane Keaton). When Alvy's own insecurities sabotage the affair, Annie is forced to leave Alvy for a new life-and lover(Paul Simon)-in LOs Angles. Knowing he may have lost Annie forever, Alvy's willing to go to great lengths- even driving L.A's freeways-to recapture the only thing that mattered-true love. I've been wanting to see this for a while, the first Woody Allen picture I ever saw was Blue Jasmine and I loved that film, granted its nothing like Annie Hall but it was a great character study. Annie Hall was also a best picture winner so that also made me more excited when I put the Bluray in. Annie Hall contains more intellectual wit and cultural references than any other movie to win an Oscar for best picture, and in winning the award in 1978 it edged out Star Wars, an outcome unthinkable today. The victory marked the beginning of Woody Allen's career as an important filmmaker(his work was funny but slight) and it signaled the end of the 1970s golden age of movies. Annie Hall is built on such dialogue and centers on conversation and monologue. Because it is just about everyone's favorite Woody Allen movie, because it won the Oscar, because it is a romantic comedy few viewers probably notice how much of it consist of people talking, simply talking. This is a movie that establishes its tone by constantly switching between tones: The switches reflect the restless mind of the filmmaker, turning away from the apparent subject of a scene to find the angle that reveals the joke. Annie Hall is a movie about a man who is always looking for the loopholes in perfection. Who can turn everything into a joke, and wishes he couldn't. I give Annie Hall a five out of five
  • chaswe-284025 September 2016
    Two remembered scenes
    One is when Marshall McLuhan makes a personal appearance. No memory of what he said. I saw this film several years ago, but could only remember this scene, and when Woody turns into a Rabbi at the Hall family dinner table. The jokes come thick and fast, but they are not really very funny. American one-liners. They don't travel well; and some are quite old and re-cycled anyway.

It's highly self-referential. Embarrassingly self-pitying, I fear. There isn't a lot different between this Woody, and the unfunny comic he makes fun of. He used to write jokes for other comedians, and I suppose that episode reminded him of the tedious, unrewarding business. What he's doing here is putting us, the audience, in the place of the psychotherapist, and then stretching out on a cinematic couch and telling us all his problems. In fact, that's what he says in the opening scene, when he addresses the viewer directly. But are his problems of more than passing interest to the world ? Reminds me of Two-Way Blacktop, where the hitch-hiker says he doesn't want to know about GTO's history.

Still, I did watch it all the way through. Perhaps I was waiting for it to improve. But it didn't. Critics have called it dated, although I don't associate it with any particular date. Other Woody Allen films that I've seen are streaks better. The Purple Rose of Cairo is a very good, inventive, moving example.
  • Teyss19 August 2016
    Stand-up comedy with depth
    When Woody Allen stars in one of his movies, you either love it or hate it. In the latter case, you can find it wordy, narcissistic, confused and neurotic. If you love it, well, you'll find it… wordy, narcissistic, confused and neurotic… but with talent!

If we wanted to categorise Allen's films, we could discern a first period that ends with "Annie Hall": these are generally comedies that look like a succession of sketches. As a reminder, before being a playwright and a film director, Allen started his career as a comedy writer and then a stand-up comedian, for almost twenty cumulated years: this influenced his first pictures.

After "Annie Hall", he found a style where comedy, if present, is a supporting element instead of a central focus. This movie is hence a turning point in Allen's career; it certainly is the best of his first period, and arguably one of his best ever. With retrospect, it seems as if he wanted to crown his first style before moving on to something different.

*** WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS ***

"Annie Hall" feels like a stand-up long feature, which constitutes its originality as well as its limit. The stand-up comedy style is fully assumed: it starts with Allen telling two jokes to the audience, and ends with another joke. The main character is a comedian and we see him on stage once, a reference to Allen's former career. Revealingly, he narrates the whole story. There is a self-parody component, whereby Allen caricatures himself as Alvy and the tone is detached.

Throughout the movie there is at least a joke every minute, addressing very different topics, some of them serious, albeit generally in a light mode: life, love, death, the universe, relationships, time passing, childhood, WWII, knowledge, culture, humour, lifestyles, Jewish identity, psychoanalysis, drugs, sex and how (not) to cook a lobster.

The movie is loaded with funny directing tricks. Even if most of them are not new, they efficiently support the humorous tone and keep the audience focused, since the stand-up style on its own is difficult to sustain on the long term: talking to the audience, placing the adult character in childhood scenes, having characters comment past scenes shown to them, subtitling characters' thoughts as they talk about something else, introducing a cartoon sequence, having an actual celebrity (McLuhan) intervening in the fiction, etc.

However "Annie Hall" is more than this. Form, far from being random, is clever. Narration is non-linear, transitions are frequently made by thought associations (as in psychoanalysis), past and present mingle, shots are on average long: we are in Alvy's brain.

Progressively, the movie gains depth, as the relationship between the main two characters evolves. Annie Hall matures from a naive woman, intellectually dominated by Alvy, to an elaborate lady who knows what she wants, while Alvy stagnates with his issues. (Here we must ask: what does the beautiful, classy, witty Annie find in the neurotic, possessive, paranoid Alvy? Answer: the mysteries of love.)

Additionally, the movie increasingly becomes nostalgic. What gives it a special touch is the fact the story between the main two characters is partly inspired by the actual relationship between Woody Allen and Diane Keaton themselves: Keaton's actual family name is Hall and her nickname is Annie; Keaton admitted she recognised herself in the role; Allen and Keaton had a relationship for about a year in 1970, broke up and remained friends… as in the movie. The fact the actual relationship ended approximately six years before the film adds a melancholic element.

Retrospection is an essential theme. At the beginning we see past scenes (childhood, flashbacks), mainly in humorous mode. Occasionally some past scenes are tragic, for instance WWII with an extract of the documentary "The Sorrow and the Pity", followed by the characters asking themselves: what would we have done during these troubled times?

Increasingly, past elements are not coming from "outside" of the movie (i.e. before the love story) but "within". This creates a nostalgic feeling: the happy times we witnessed are now gone. For instance when Alvy comes to Annie's place to chase the spider after they broke up, on her wall are the photos she took when he was previously struggling with the lobsters. Later on, Alvy dates another woman and again tries to cook lobsters. However while the earlier lobster scene was funny, his new date does not understand his humour: we are sorry the relationship between Alvy and Annie has ended, with their complicity and wits. At the end, Annie goes to see "The Sorrow and the Pity" as she did before with Alvy, even though now they are separated.

Accentuating the sense of nostalgia, the whole movie actually is a flashback made by Alvy about his relationship with Annie. Eventually, the end sequence culminates in nostalgic mood: past scenes between Alvy and Annie silently flow, while Annie sings off-screen "Seems Like Old Times", a melancholic song if there ever was one. They are now simple friends; instead of spending time together, they just have a drink in a café. In the last shot, Alvy stays on the sidewalk to watch Annie leave: he still is in love with her.

On top of flashbacks, this final sequence subtly refers to earlier episodes: a final nail in past's coffin. Annie singing refers to her previously singing "It Had to be You" in the nightclub. But whereas the nightclub sequence was a noisy disaster, the final song is perfect: past scenes then shown are hence beautified and idealised. Also, Alvy makes a final joke about the absurdity of relationships: it closes the loop with his two jokes at the very beginning of the movie. However instead of facing the audience, his voice is now off-screen: without Annie, he fades into a shadow of his former self.

Funny, nostalgic, partly absurd (as life is), sometimes awkward (as life is), "Annie Hall" does deliver the eggs.
  • kipcarson371 August 2016
    My Favorite Movie
    Hey there! So this is my favorite movie of all time. I saw it as a loaner from the public library when I was 14 years old. Since then I've lost track of how many times I've seen it.

Recently, I watched it again and showed it to a friend who'd never seen it and then we sat down to talk about it on camera! https://youtu.be/NmnDARU1kbU The above link will take you to the video review for my full thoughts, but here, let me just stick to the basics. The writing is fantastic, as the characters are all real people to me and the dialogue is fantastic, natural and stylized at the same time. Diane Keaton's performance is one for the ages and is probably considered one of the best performances in history. The movie is painful, funny, relateable and memorable.

I've seen EVERY Woody Allen movie and while this may not be his "best" work, it certainly is my absolute favorite.
  • Irishmoviereviewer30 June 2016
    I don't see what the fuss is all about...
    This movie was my first time ever to see Woody Allen act, no kidding. Woody Allen in my opinion wasn't really a good actor in this, he could be good at any of his movies, just not this one, to be honest with you. I just think the movie dragged on a bit and I find it was getting too boring after watching 10 minutes of it. I don't understand why this is considered to be one of the greatest films in history. I seem to be the only one not agreeing that it truly isn't one of the best movies I've ever seen..

I'm a little disappointed but that's the way it goes with some movies for me.....
  • mark-4386913 June 2016
    Intelligent, touching and hilarious
    Prior to this film, the only things I knew about Woody Allen I'd heard through 'The Simpsons' - all his films have 'that nervous fella' in them and, apparently, he's 'a neurotic nerd who likes to sleep with little girls'. The nervous fella certainly was there and Allen is certainly a nerd, but, thankfully, there was no indication of the third statement. This film was a brilliant spin on a traditional romantic comedy. Allen's address of the audience throughout the film took it away from that of a corny narration, whilst its content was witty and intelligent. There were several lines that made me laugh aloud ('sex with you is Kafka-esque' being one of them). The direction of the film added to the humour, with quick cuts contrasting previous situations, yet also added a significant beauty to the production. The montage of moments between Alvy and Annie at the end, accompanied by 'Old Times' was very touching, and a strong end to a highly enjoyable film.
  • Antonius Block20 May 2016
    Brilliant
    Probably the best romantic comedy you'll ever see. Woody Allen plays Alvy Singer, an insecure, cerebral comedian living in Manhattan (hmm), who is trying to understand how his relationship with Annie Hall (Diane Keaton) ended. The script is fantastic, and Allen gives us a steady stream of jokes ranging from subtle, intellectual references to physical comedy, and while I only laughed out loud a few times, I was often smiling. He also uses a variety of creative techniques in this film - speaking directly to the camera, stepping directly into childhood memories, giving voice to inner thoughts, and including a brief animation, among other things. He explores love, sex, and relationships, but also the cultural differences between Jews and Gentiles, and New Yorkers and Californians in clever ways. His understated facial reaction as Keaton orders Pastrami on white bread with lettuce and tomatoes is priceless.

The film is sweet, endearing, and sentimental about relationships, and yet it's also balanced, showing the bittersweet pitfalls with just the right touches, including a brilliant ending. On top of all that, it's great to see Paul Simon in a couple of scenes, Allen's references to the 1969 documentary "The Sorrow and the Pity", and Diane Keaton's wonderful performance of "Seems Like Old Times". Great film, and very worthy of the Academy Awards it won.