• the_burning_crusader12 February 2018
    10!
    BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!
  • wondererrw12 February 2018
    Masterpiece sci-fi movie
    I think this movie gave inspiration to the other sci-fi movies.Fiction is not great yeah but this movie gave inspiration to the other sci-fi movies.
  • parekhvivek2 February 2018
    Super thriller hindi web series
    Madhavan you have done it again......what an Chase between duo....villain looks simple but very dangerous....must watch thriller drama
  • lamakabre27 January 2018
    Disgusting film
    Nothing more boring in my life has not seen.

Is too short?

I have nothing to say.
  • Taylor Kingston26 January 2018
    Cheesy, but awesome...
    I loved this movie. I started watching it about five years ago and I just couldn't. The quality, the effects, the cheesy lines. I just couldn't. Then two years ago, when I was fifteen, I gave it another go. And I loved it. Star Wars is now one of my favourite movie franchises. The quality still isn't great. The effects are still sometimes obvious. And it's still cheesy, but I still love it. I've actually been obsessed with it lately, cramming a lifetime's worth of love into two years. It's not my favourite out of the original trilogy, or out of the entire series, but it is second favourite out of the original trilogy, and anything beats the prequels. Even the dance scene with the Ewoks at the end of Return Of The Jedi.

Okay, where to start? This is one of the most well-known movies in history. Most people know all about it. But my take is this: Luke Skywalker is a little lame, but also loveable. His crush on Leia is now creepy knowing they're twins. R2-D2 and C-3PO have very funny chemistry. Darth Vader is bada*s. Han Solo is freaking amazing. The Emperor is creepy. The Death Star is creepy. And way too easily destroyed. Chewie is adorable while still being tough. Jabba The Hut should not be CGI. Han shot first. RIP Alderaan. The Millenium Falcoln is super cool. And Greedo should have subtitles even if the subtitles aren't already one. Sorry, some bits are just from George Lucas' edits in the different releases of the movie. But still.

One of my favourite quotes: "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." - Han Solo

Overall, I give this movie an 8 out of 10, which in my ratings book is: Awesome.
  • kneal-4766821 January 2018
    Most overrated film of all time
    Basically, this is a dull remake of a 1950s western but with spaceships as horses.
  • mb145620 January 2018
    Glad I Saw the First Star Wars Movie, Finally
    The first Star Wars I got to see were the ones made from the period 1999 to 2005. I saw them all. At the time I found them quite funny and didn't like as much as I assumed. Later, when Star Wars by JJ Abrahms came out in 2015, I saw it mainly 'cause I'm a fan of the director. It was good but again I wasn't impressed as much but now I realise that's because I didn't have any clue about who these major characters are like Luke Skywalker, Hans Solo, C-3PO, R2-D2, Chewie or Princess Leia. What prompted me to finally see A New Hope was the 2017 release starring Daisy Ridley. That movie was awesome and I decided to see the rest of the Star Wars I missed. Now, after A New Hope, I finally understood who these people are and also appreciate the passion of some of the veteran actors like Harrison Ford, the late Carrie Fisher & Mark Hamill when they came back nearly four decades later to be in the new sequels.

The effects in this movie is still good for a 1977 movie. But more than the effects, I liked the story and there were many intense action scenes especially towards the end when the Rebel Alliance were hellbent on destroying the Empire's Death Star space station but closely pursued by Darth Vader & his army. Some of the action between the characters didn't convince but those were minor flaws in this otherwise first class thriller.

Verdict: I'm glad I finally saw it. The force(entertainment) is strong on this one :)
  • gw-8869719 January 2018
    What Is This Flick About?
    I've never lasted beyond 1/2 an hour watching this crap. It's SO BORING. From what I've seen of it, it's just Robin Hood and his Merry Men with spaceships. Pfft ..... Fortunately, that 1/2 hour of boredom had inoculated me from watching any further Star Wars junk.
  • elia_henden_nygaard11 January 2018
    This is where it all started
    This is the movie that started one of the most epic and thrilling film franchises my eyes have ever seen. I have already lost the count of how many times I have seen A New Hope, but it is a excellent Star Wars movie, and did a pretty good job of introducing us to this universe.

The things that I appreciated the most with this movie in the saga, is the way that George Lucas used his creativity to build up a world in which both the characters and the story is developing from film to film. I love the setting, locations, planets ect. so much that I just want to travel all around the earth and discover all these exciting and cool looking places. All the characters in this movie, especially Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi are some very likable characters after my opinion. The plot in the movie is very simple, but also very exciting at the same time, especially if you have never seen Star Wars before. John William's musical score is excellent and fantastic as always, and fits this movie in the best way as possible. Even if the movie was made in 1977, it does not mean that this is a worse Star Wars movie than all the others in the saga, because George Lucas nailed pretty much everything that he and his crew was trying to accomplish. This masterpiece changed the film industry forever...
  • kloudriccio9 January 2018
    Simply a masterpiece
    Maybe not the greatest movie ever made, but is a cult, and needs to be watched
  • cinemajesty2 January 2018
    To The Surprise Of All
    Movie Review: "Star Wars" (1977)

When Writer/Director George Lucas shops around in the bonfire of movie developments to find a distribution deal for a felt-as-to-be a second rate science-fiction movie on the page with countless newly-invented character names from the catchy Luke Skywalker over Han Solo to the opening sequence-sharing character of Princess Leia, performed by serious situation pretending actress Carrie Fisher (1956-2016) about to get abducted by an Intergalactic Empire's right hand madman Darth Vader, dressed all-in-black with mask, boots and cape to nerve-striking sounds of John William's legendary score music, when the story unfolds as a center piece of an epic journey of a single desert-hide-out child Anakin Skywalker, which is in this well-paced Academy-Award-nominated original screenplay by George Lucas enriched with constant twists, revelations on character background mysteries that it becomes highly suspenseful as entertaining to watch the leading character of Luke Skywalker unfold his destiny as a layer cake of daring, sophisticated special effect works supervised by Richard Edlund, John Dykstra and associates, who deliver with cinematic inventions as image system rotoscoping to make a single scene so much more awestruck to the spectre's eye, when the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi, portrayed with honors by Hollywood-approved actor Alec Guiness (1914-2000), confronting the constant-order-seeking Darth Vader, given statues by actor David Prowse that young Luke Skywalker, performed by discoveries-making newcomer actor Mark Hamill, who must fight his final battle in a X-wing spacecraft alone to hit a one in a million shot, when all other attacking rebel ships are failing to destroy a menacing moon-like starkiller base, simply called the "Death Star".

The surprise that "Star Wars" brought to movie theaters around the world from first revenues in just 43 locations on the U.S. domestic market on opening day May 25th 1977 to high engagements abroad starting in France in October of the same year to fulfill a global phenomenon in February 1978 in Germany, when a modest budgeted U.S. science-fiction movie distributed by Hollywood Studio Major 20th Century Fox (established in 1935) delivers a wider release of this picture directed by 32-year-old George Lucas, who ultimately with support by producer Gary Kurtz gathers the best people in their particular departments, from music compositions, sound design and mixing and an fully-covered 120 Minutes editorial with Academy-Award-Winning endeavors by Paul Hirsch. The Editor shares real movie magic of combining high-quality special effect miniature shots of science fiction with character-driven operatic conflicts on the human condition to evolve and discover life, leading to light-hearted moments of space creatures in costumes designed by John Mollo (1931-2017), when androids C3PO and R2D2, performed by Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker (1934-2016), steal the show by getting stranded in the deserts of the recurring exterior locations of Planet Tatooine, sharing punchlines of humor as being a married couple, reminiscence to the two scoundrel character of "Tahei & Matashichi" in Akira Kurosawa's picture of "The Hidden Fortress" (1958), before becoming part of the big adventure with teaming up outsiders including pirate pilot Han Solo, portrayed with acting pleasures by Harrison Ford, who then completes this exceptional piece of motion picture entertainment, which in its no-dull-moments dazzling pace, bliss-spreading plot points and professionally executed science-fiction action beats, which keep their high stakes with contemporary cinema entertainment.

© 2018 Felix Alexander Dausend (Cinemajesty Entertainments LLC)
  • jay_amer1 January 2018
    The Movie that Changed My Life Forever!
    This movie when I first saw it as a kid absolutely amazed me and put me into a world where I wished I could be! The story is absolutely genius, the characters are amazing! Everything about this movie is amazing! George Lucas made an absolute masterpiece of a film!!!!! May The Force Be With You!
  • valimar-8835231 December 2017
    The legendary movie that started it all
    I actually saw ESB in the theatre before I saw this movie, but still was only maybe 6 years old when I first saw Star Wars - A New Hope (as it was styled after ESB's release) on VHS. So I saw it with the eyes of a child but, unlike some other movies, when I watch it as an adult I enjoy it every bit as much as I did when I was a child. It might be that I become a child again for a few hours every time I watch this film, but if so that only demonstrates how magical it is. This truly is a legendary movie in its own right, as well as one which revolutionized Hollywood - whether for good or ill depends greatly on one's point of view.

The good:

1. The pace: the pacing of this movie is absolutely perfect. Right from the opening scene with its iconic opening crawl and fantastic space battle, and every subsequent scene, the pacing between action, exposition, fast and slow, is incredibly well done. The movie never drags, even the slower parts are a joy to watch, and there isn't one out of place scene anywhere.

2. Darth Vader - THE iconic cinematic villain of all time. No introduction is needed!

3. The special effects - revolutionary for the time, and still hold up well even today. Of course the Special Edition made some controversial changes (see below), but with one glaring exception these were for the better. Even so, the fact that a forty-year old movie holds up so well that children today can watch and love it, and it in no way feels dated, is testament to how timeless and yes magical it is.

3. The characters; every major character is an archetype, from dark lord Darth Vader, to plucky Princess Leia, to hero on a journey Luke Skywalker, to wise old teacher Obi Wan, to the rogue with a heart of gold Han Solo (who will always be THE coolest character in any movie, ever), to calculating villain Grand Moff Tarkin. All are drawn from George Lucas' deep study of Joseph Campbell's groundbreaking work on mythology, and the payoffs come again and again. Even the comic relief characters like R2-D2, C-3PO and Chewbacca are beloved and deservedly so.

4. The actors. Obviously the standout here is rising star Harrison Ford, but virtually all of the acting is spot on, from callow Luke's journey to heroism, to Tarkin's chilly presence, to Vader's domination of his every scene through his iconic voice alone, and on and on. However, what really deserves special mention is the amazing chemistry between Luke, Leia and Han Solo, obviously reflecting genuine off-screen chemistry between the respective actors. The scenes between them on the Death Star are just the right balance of light humour, action, suspense and pathos. This truly was magical and something that went beyond just the director's skill, as rarely is the audience treated to such incredible on-screen chemistry between the actors as we see here. Everything is spot on and a delight to behold.

5. The Battle of Yavin. Hands down the most exciting cinematic battle of all time. Every second of it perfection, and the climax is, well, a climax...it leaves the viewer in a euphoric state of rapture.

The indifferent:

1. Nothing is indifferent about this cinematic gem!

The bad:

1. Nothing is bad about the original and I will have no truck nor trade with anyone who thinks otherwise. I have only one reservation and that is in respect of the Special Edition - sorry kids, but Han Solo shot first! Shame on George Lucas for tarnishing the reputation of the coolest guy in a galaxy far, far away.

Overall, I can't recommend this classic enough. If you haven't seen it and you're more than five years or six years old then you're weird, and if you don't like it then you have no soul.
  • OnlyNick25 December 2017
    A Great 'First Movie Experience for Any Kid.
    I can remember this being the first movie I ever saw in a theater. I remember asking my mom "Is it still light outside" so many times. I couldn't quite get the fact that it can be dark in a room and still daylight hours! Ah, if life were only that simple now.

This movie is a great way to get any child into loving motion pictures! Fun. Simple. 40 years later I can watch this movie over and over again and it will still keep my attention...even in a dark room in the middle of the day! You don't have to be a science fiction nerd to enjoy. Just...enjoy. With or without your young ones.
  • Elliott-Brewster7724 December 2017
    The first Star Wars film that stayed with me the most
    As the brainchild of filmmaker George Lucas (and one of his better directing moments along with American Graffiti), this was the major catalyst for the entire saga. Many would say that Empire Strikes Back is their favorite, but this is mine. It came out of nowhere and made a lot of money. It also did without all this pre-release hype. No one knew what to expect, but it was really something. You can have your Empire or Jedi, or even Sith, but this for me is the best. It introduced us to a fictitious yet believable space opera set in a distant galaxy far from Earth and gave us a handful of memorable characters. What more could you ask for? It also combines elements from Flash Gordon, spaghetti westerns, mythology and samurai films. That combination makes for such a wonderful movie. I admit that this movie isn't for everyone, especially those who don't care for science-fiction or alien movies, but if you haven't seen it, you don't know what you're missing! It's fun!
  • mohammadjyassin22 December 2017
    A Masterpiece of its time, A New Hope is a Revolutionary Entry in Movie History
    While A New Hope revitalized sci-fi in cinema, it does have some flaws. I'm not saying the movie is bad; in fact it's one of the best in film history. However, it doesn't go very high up the Star Wars movie ratings. The story is well driven and the characters are perfectly round and suitable for the plot. The typical underdog vs favorites plot rolls out as a rather unique on because of the sci-fi genre. The sets, compared to its time, are wonderful. The effects still sometimes felt fresh even to this day, which shows how revolutionary A New Hope was. The final battle is one of the best final sequences ever, possible the best in Star Wars history; there's suspense, action, pace, and everything to present you a powerful finish for the movie. Speaking cons, the movie suffers some issues in dialogue, and more noticeably in the first act, which feels lost, boring, and at times irrelevant. Unfortunately, the actors (who have become legends today) didn't present a perfect performance; instead, their acting felt flat most of the time. But it is understandable why people were amazed by every shot of a movie that came out in 1977, when all they had were movies about desert shootouts and police car chases.
  • marieltrokan19 December 2017
    Glorifies censorship
    Immunity from criticism is exposure to safety

Safety is sameness

Exposure is difference

Difference to sameness is not to sameness

Not to sameness is from sameness

From sameness is to difference

To difference is not to

Not to is deceptive to

Deceptive to is to deception

To deception is moving toward illusion

Moving toward illusion is moving toward disappointment

Moving toward disappointment is creating disappointment

Creating disappointment is disappointment of creation

Disappointment of creation is satisfaction of no creation

Satisfaction of no creation is satisfaction of no expression

Satisfaction of no expression is glory of no expression

A New Hope is a film that glorifies censorship
  • CBV19 December 2017
    Star Wars: A New Hope - Review
    This is a movie that I hardly have anything to say that hasn't been said before, this is probably the most well known movie in the world, most people have seen it or at the very least heard of it, it's a film that changed the industry as we know it, and that isn't an understatement, this and Jaws pretty much invented the blockbuster, something we are very familiar nowadays but back then it was unheard of. Now, I love this film, however I can't consider myself a HUGE SW fan like other people, yes I have seen all the movies, played plenty of games and even saw some of the TV series, but I have not seen any comic or book from the Expanded Universe and while I love Star Wars, I don't hold it as this "absolute flawless god-like master piece" but more like a great franchise, with highs and lows and that have given me a lot of enjoyment through the years, A New Hope or as it was called back when it first came out "Star Wars", was the beginning of this franchise, back when George Lucas was a small name in the industry, the movie is great, however it does have a few problems, but they can be easily overlooked considering both the time the movie came out and the tons of problems it had behind cameras, the movie has a simple story, a Princess kidnapped by an evil empire and the hero with a sword has to rescue her, it's a pretty standard journey of the hero story, but it actually works really good in this film, the characters are all memorable, they started with flaws but you see their evolution through this film and even through the series, the music.... what can I say here? Is arguably the most iconic movie score of all time, Williams created a musical master piece that people love to this day, I guess the only complains you could pick are the light saber between Obi Wan and Vader, which has aged quite a bit, but again, knowing the amount of problems the film had behind the scenes, you kinda have to forgive it. There isn't much I can say about this film because... everyone has already said it, this is a film that inspired many people and remains one of the most iconic franchises of all time and with good reason
  • poodany18 December 2017
    No words to describe this movie.
    It speaks for itself, wish there was a modern video game based on this and every movie except the sequel trilogy movies. That would be just epic.
  • Jithin K Mohan16 December 2017
    Fun, but not a great film
    Rewatching, this time the despecialized version. The first time I was disappointed because it didn't live up to my expectations given by the hype of fanatics who follow Star Wars with religious frenzy. Now that I see for what it is, it's a fun movie that set the standards for blockbusters although not even close to being one of the greatest film ever as the fans claim it is.
  • jonconnormustlive-4629816 December 2017
    40 years later. It still holds up but enough with the crappy CGI enhanced version.
    Star Wars is deservedly a piece of history. An unforgettable adventure that started a saga that may never end. What's really great about this film is how it didn't have to be non-stop action, in most cases it's the stunning character and world designs that make it stand out. Now most people view it as Episode IV but that does it no justice. Star Wars did more then creating cool characters and a good story. It built a world of unending imagination. I hope generations from now our grandchildren can still appreciate what this film did. Now my reason for not giving this film a full 10 stars is because of the enhanced version that currently seems to be the only version available. It contains horrible special effects that adds completely unnecessary scenes truly damaging this film. It's quite upsetting. Hopefully we'll get a release with the original version in the near future.
  • David del Real15 December 2017
    A long time ago (+ 40 years!)... in a galaxy far, far away...
    Forty years ago, screens of cinemas around the world got full of action, science fiction and fantasy with the premier of the STAR WARS movie, the one that the world would later know as Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope. It told us a story that despite the fact of being extremely futuristic, his creator did not set it as happening in a distant future but in a long forgotten past in a galaxy far away from here.

This review intends to celebrate the 40 years of the beginning of one of the best trilogies of all time and present a personal point of view of why this first trilogy of films ; A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi is so beloved among the fans and why it couldn´t be matched by its prequel trilogy and it doesn´t seem as if it could be matched by its sequel whose first episode was released two years ago. That is also, why I must warn you that this text contains spoilers of the whole trilogy and small details of the other two, nevertheless, if you are like more or less the 95% of the people in what we call "civilized world" you have already seen this first trilogy and my little spoilers will not be a problem.

------- -------- -------

STAR WARS; Episode 4: A New hope... ... told us the story of Luke Skywalker, a leading hero that in my opinion, was not even closely matched by Anakin Skywalker (his father) in the prequels that were released later and I don´t think judging for what we know so far that he could ever be matched by Rey (in the sequels to come) because of a simple fact: The three leading heroes: Luke, Anakin and Rey are desperate to find their path in life, but only Luke is desperate to follow the path of a hero. This is not something that is necessarily implied in the dialogues, but something we feel along the movies. Anakin and Rey are desperate to understand the world around them, and in this sense they are not different to most people nowadays, but Luke wants to know if something can be done to help. Yoda says that Luke is always looking " to the future, to the horizon", and even when he says it as a reprimand, this quote also implies that Luke thinks that the world can go better than it usually does in the present state of things.

Anakin was in theory the "Chosen One", Luke chose himself among two possible choices of redemption for the galaxy, even when he didn´t know at first that "there was another one". George Lucas has confirmed that Anakin was the Chosen One and that the prophesy is true, because as Darth Vader, Anakin destroyed the Sith that in that point were the Emperor and himself (in Return of the Jedi) , but IMO, that means that Anakin, or Darth Vader is only the Chosen One from a very technical point of view, as it was really Luke and the Rebellion who defeated them and if Darth hadn´t saved Luke from the Emperor, they would have nevertheless most probably perished with the destruction of the second Death Star, being most of the merit LUKE´S!

Now, besides being Luke a more likable hero that both of his counterparts (Anakin and Rey) and having given the main reasons to think why this is so in the last paragraph, I think that this first Star Wars trilogy did something that no other movie franchise has ever done, being the closest achievement that of the Matrix trilogy: It presents universal teachings and wisdom in a non-segregative format. Its teachings could well belong to Christianity, Buddhism, Shinto, Islam, Wicca or even some martial arts like Aikido or Karate and nevertheless these teachings are not necessarily linked to any of them; it was the first time that we saw a movie that tried to merge all the wisdom from different cultures and present a kind of "Universal Wisdom". And that is, in my opinion, more than the great visual effects, its amazing Light Sabers or its interesting characters why this movie and the next two conforming the first trilogy will always be so important ; because of its philosophical value: they gave us a story that tried to synthesize teachings from a lot of religions and cultures and present them in a simple and amusing way.

Thanks for reading.

IMDb Review written by David del Real.

Mexico City. México

December 15th, 2017.
  • Tyson Hunsaker10 December 2017
    Iconic and entertaining science fiction.
    For the entirety of this review, I'll refer to this film as "Star Wars" instead of the sub-name with episodes and all. "Star Wars" is perhaps George Lucas' greatest film and most significant contribution to the art of cinema. The film focuses on young Luke Skywalker as he acquaints himself with outside forces of the galaxy, a civil war, the force, and the adventure of a lifetime. "Star Wars" continues to hold its ground as one of the most influential sci-fi films of all time and remains just as entertaining as ever before.

Building on heavy influence from Akira Kurosawa's samurai films, particularly "The Hidden Fortress" George Lucas crafts an interesting western in space told from the perspective of the two lowest characters: C-3PO and R2-D2. Two droids that become entangled in a galactic civil war between the empire and the rebel alliance. As their journey progresses, new and interesting characters are introduced (like our protagonist, Luke Skywalker) with iconic movie icons like Han Solo (Harrison Ford), Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher), and Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinnes).

For viewers that haven't seen any of the original films, the visual and special effects may feel outdated but what remains fresh after all these years is its incredible story and fascinating world. "Star Wars" and its core story remind us that foundational storytelling and classic character arcs are what stay with us for decades upon decades. We seem to relate to Luke's grounded situation with dreaming of something bigger than himself. Reaching out beyond his farm home life to something extraordinary. We grow immersed with him in learning of the force and the wise teachings of Obi-Wan Kenobi which appeals to the natural spiritual sides of us all. Above all, we root for him as the underdog during the riveting space dog fight even when he's up against Darth Vader himself.

Everyone delivers solid performances but the standouts go to Harrison Ford and James Earl Jones. Harrison Ford's cocky and charismatic "Han Solo" is still arguably his most remembered role after all these years. James Earl Jones gives the voice to Darth Vader that makes him strong, powerful, and extremely intimidating. There's a good reason Darth Vader remains the most iconic movie villain of all time.

"Star Wars" however, gains its stature from its high quality technical abilities it introduced. Visual and special effects were far ahead of its time and the editing and rhythm of the cuts make the entire film flow as a whole. The flow with editing can also find influence from the older westerns and Kurosawa's samurai films. John William's score still represents the peak of epic music composing. You know it's a good score when this score is the standout in a career of breathtaking music for film.

The film, in all its glory, does have its downsides and slight weaknesses. Due to no fault of its own, the film can easily be overshadowed by the rest of the movies in its own franchise due to technical advancements in visual effects. Comparatively, the original can feel not as visually stimulating or engaging as the others. The story takes its time to set up characters and subplots for world building in a more subtle approach than many modern audiences would be comfortable with. That might not be a weakness in the film itself, but rather a weakness the the viewer themselves.

Another complaint might be the lack of attachment to some characters. Several key characters are indeed hard to attach to and might feel cold and distant. This might weaken the film's impact and subsequently, the intense climax which relies for intensity on its technique rather than characters. A solid blend of both approaches might've helped the film's emotional impact to the point of meeting its sequel: "Empire Strikes Back."

"Star Wars" still remains one of the greatest movies ever made and is essential for everyone to see in their life at least once. Its influence continues to extend the science fiction world of film, television, and video games to this day.
  • jamesgandrew2 December 2017
    It's an epic of heroes, villains and aliens from a thousand worlds!
    That was the tagline to what became one of the most successful films of all time. Honestly how can you not love this movie? Well there's the special edition which butchered what was once a perfect film. However, the theatrical version is one of if not my favourite movie of all time.

George Lucas did a great job in combining mythology, sci-fi serials and history into what became a cultural phenomenon. Despite what you may think of his directing talents, he is an imaginative filmmaker who knows how to create great concepts... well at least back in the 1970's and 1980's.

The film follows a traditional hero's quest archetype and takes it into space. Star Wars follows Luke Skywalker who after losing everything has no choice but to go on a mission to save the princess and the universe. On his journey he meets a variety of characters including a wise Jedi master, a smuggler pilot and his sidekick, two droids and a princess who isn't as she seems. Luke later ends up involving himself in the rebel cause to destroy the Empire's most powerful and devastating weapon.

Many Star Wars fans may know about the issues in filming Star Wars and the production issues it faced. Hollywood studios thought the idea was garbage, filming on location was apparently a nightmare and the initial cut was a supposed mess. Many people doubted that it would be a hit and yet it became a cultural phenomenon. John Williams excellent score and the fast paced editing really gave it that extra impact which enabled it to become a great movie. It goes to show that studios should take risks with new ideas because that's where great movies are originated.

The movie is not really science fiction as it is science fantasy. Sure there's spaceships, planets and destructive space stations which definitely are associated with science fiction. However, the mysticism of the force is what makes the world of Star Wars have a universal appeal. Science definitely has an appeal to some people yet human experiences are what mass audiences relate to at the end of the day. This is why people despised The Phantom Menace because it basically gave a middle finger to what made Star Wars a story about people not science.

Star Wars started a franchise that's still going to this day. The Empire Strikes Back is also a perfect movie and I would say it's a better movie in terms of expanding upon the lore and exploring the characters. However, Star Wars is a roller coaster ride that you'll never forget and that is why it's such an awesome movie!
  • cmjuhsin25 November 2017
    Thank-you
    This I admit is not so much a review as it is an ode.

Thank-you to the writer, director, actors and the studio for nourishing a young man's fantasies and bestowing years of fun and pleasure. Whether a space opera, action fantasy, science fiction or a family drama Star Wars was for years a great source of pleasure and 'comfort movie' for me and even now as an adult I am in awe of the imagination and creativity that went into this film and the two episodes that followed it.

It is frankly too bad that Star Wars fell into the hands of Disney, JJ Abrams and became a tool solely for cashing in and a line item on someone's accounting ledger, but I guess it was inevitable. I chose to ignore the boring new films and forever cherish Leia, Luke, Darth Vader, R2D2, C3PO and the rest of them.

PS: I am glad you lost, evil emperor. I wanted you to fail the moment I laid my eyes on you!