User Reviews (1,423)

• Ali Ahmad17 February 2018
    An Amazing Movie
    That's kind of a movie i can watch, re-watch and.... I really enjoyed it. And i think i will re-watch it soon.
  • hunter-friesen8 February 2018
    Kubrick subtracts more than he adds, which makes the film both boring and flat
    Both cold and creepy, Stanley Kubrick's 1980 adaptation of Stephen King's novel has been hailed as one of the best horror films of all time. Many memorable scenes have bled into popular culture, such as Jack's "Here's Johnny!", the twins "Come play with us Danny", and the blood-soaked elevators. It's well documented that Kubrick added and dropped several elements of the novel when adapting it. The big thing he added was theatricality to a novel that fell flat at times. Unfortunately, what Kubrick gave to the film doesn't make up for the vital things he dropped, such as actual horror, good characters, and a compelling story.

Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) has hit a rough patch in what seemed like a perfect life. He's been fired from his job as a professor, he's struggling with alcoholism, and now must take a job as an off-season caretaker for the Overlook Hotel, which will be buried in snow during the treacherous winter. Along with him is his wife Wendy (Shelley Duvall) and son Danny (Danny Lloyd). Once there, the Torrance family is given a tour of the grand hotel and all its trappings. The hotel looks as if its a palace, but inside it feels like a madhouse as hallways run on forever and rooms are cursed by the guests that died within them. Jack doesn't seem to mind the warnings nature is giving him since all he wants to do is have some time to himself and try to start writing the story he's been dreaming about. There's also something about Danny that makes him feel different than everyone else. He can see things no one else can, such as future and past events, many of which hold the key to what exactly is going on inside the Overlook Hotel.

The first thing that becomes apparent when watching the film is how slowly paced everything is. Kubrick takes his time in setting the mood and building the tension. Production wise, everything is done perfectly to tee up the horror, but the story and main characters fall flat when needed. Most importantly, the film really isn't that scary. Just like the novel, the film has some good creepy moments, but they never ascend into true horror. The suspense is always there, but it never is acted upon as the climax holds back when it should let loose.

The characters themselves feel like they are horror film characters right from the beginning. Instead of watching Jack go mad throughout the film, we already get a sense that he is already quite insane. All we're left to do is wait for him to completely snap, which isn't very exciting to watch.

Kubrick is a genius director and goes all out when it comes to combining all the aspects of the film into one package. His eye for great scenery and camera angles is apparent as each shot is carefully calculated and done at just the right time to maximize the desired effect. In particular, the tracking shot of Danny rounding the hotel on his Big Wheel leaves us in suspense as we watch helplessly as he rounds corners that hide sinister things.

The music in this film is also produced and used very well. Strings are violently plucked and stroked to create a sound that is piercing to the ears and frightening to the soul.

While only boasting three main actors, the trio does a good job at making each character their own. Jack Nicholson gives a downright creepy and maddening performance as Jack. It looks as if this performance inspired Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker in Batman. He injects each scene with insanity and does his best to breathe humanity into a literal and metaphorical cold film. Shelley Duvall does a nice job as Wendy, a character that is both helpless and emotionally distraught. She's always reliable to give a good scared face, which is the only thing she does throughout. Danny Lloyd gives probably one of the best performances for a child actor. He has to act with the Nicholson's inhumane character and spirits that are out to get him. He's very good at reacting and acts just like every kid would in a haunted hotel, scared and curious by the unknown.

The closest thing I could compare this film to is Ridley Scott's Blade Runner. Both directors are masters of production and really know how to use them to create a world of their own. But when the time comes for the story to take center stage, both come up short and leave the viewer disappointed. Films can have all the bells and whistles to make them marvelous to look at, but a film that can't tell a good story is just like a good looking car that can't drive.
  • oetoni5 February 2018
    Probably the best Horror Movie I've seen in a long time!
    A cocktail of constant fear and thought paralysis.
  • The Scatman1 February 2018
    A timeless, open-ended masterpiece.
    Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining', a Stephen King novel film adaptation, pushed the envelope, moving cinema away from the then-tired, predictable horror towards an era of deeply abstract, thoughtful, and atmospheric psychological thrillers.

The plot follows Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) who becomes winter caretaker at the isolated Overlook Hotel in Colorado hoping to cure his writer's block. He brings his wife Wendy Torrance (Shelley Duvall) and son Danny Torrance (Danny Lloyd) who is plagued by psychic premonitions. As Jack's writing goes nowhere and Danny's visions become more disturbing, Jack discovers the hotel's dark secrets and begins to unravel into a homicidal maniac hell-bent on terrorizing his family.

Kubrick weaves in a deep sense of disorientation and surrealism throughout, he brings forth themes of transcendentalism that departs from what initially seems to be an innocent family drama. I think there are deep spiritual themes here; with Kubrick allegedly calling King during filming to ask him about his belief in God.

The film's production period and method was as atypical and unnerving as the film's material itself. Kubrick's approach to directing was abusive and callous, he knew that the environment and circumstances around making a film always help to significantly shape the content itself. He used this knowledge and his position to elicit certain emotions from his cast in the pursuit of method acting, with Shelley Duvall saying that "I lost some of my innocence on The Shining, because for the first time I felt I had to have a lawyer." One of her scenes had an astounding 127 takes with Kubrick known to have screamed at her in front of the cast and crew, she suffered from nervous exhaustion throughout filming, that includes physical illness, she even lost her hair. Jack Nicholson during filming swore he'd never work with Kubrick again.

What message does the film try to send?

Speaking about the theme of the film, Kubrick stated that "there's something inherently wrong with the human personality. There's an evil side to it. One of the things that horror stories can do is to show us the archetypes of the unconscious; we can see the dark side without having to confront it directly"

The ending suggests that past and present are interspersed. The message is clear, no matter who comes and goes, the human condition remains the same; inherently flawed and spiritually fallen.

I will leave you with this Bible verse that says everything:

ADAM! "HOW HAST THOU FALLEN FROM THE HEAVENS, O SHINING ONE, SON OF THE DAWN." (Isa. 14:12, Young's Literal Trans. Of The Bible).
  • herzigmary29 January 2018
    One of the Greatest Horror Classics.
    The Shining by director Stanley Kubrick is a horror masterpiece that uses atmosphere and compelling acting in order to deliver a strong thriller that terrifies and interests movie goers for years to come. The story is about the Torrence family, and strange bunch with the recovering alcoholic father Jack, the aloof mother Wendy, and awkward son Danny who has paranormal abilities. Jack is given a job of caretaker to a hotel, to which he is at first excited for so he can write his book. Over the months, Jack begins to lose his mind as Wendy and Danny experience strange and dangerous paranormal visions and experiences. This film uses a slow burn type of editing and story telling, causing the audience to feel anxious and tense as they wait to see what happens to this family. This leaves the audience with an amazing pay off when things start to take a turn for the worst. The film itself is filled with different metaphors that are left to the interpretation of the viewer, and have caused many theories since its release. While Stephen King might not enjoy the film adaption of his book, I feel that Kubrick really adds a certain dimension to the story that wasn't present in the novel, and gives an intriguing horror story that delves into the depths of the human mind, and what we're capable of doing if the situation calls for it.
  • shadow_blade-8945926 January 2018
    Gradually Gripping
    "The Shining" (1980) is a mind bending horrific drama that twist your innermost demons and reimagines it on the big screen. The film is about a family that moves into an ominous hotel just before a winter storm stranding them from human contact other than themselves and a radio. Jack Torrance, played by Jack Nicholson, takes the job as caretaker of the hotel during the winter down season to enjoy some peace and quiet as he tries to write a book. His wife Wendy, played by Shelley Duvall, and son Danny, played by Danny Lloyd, join him in their new home. The isolation begins to take a grim hold on the entire family and the pacing is magically satisfying.

This film is captured from two very different perspectives. The first is from Danny and the friend that lives within as he comes to terms with his calling. While the second perspective is from Jack's dealings with his newfound maddening sense of isolation. If the point of this film is to understand the powers of seclusion, mission executed. For some viewers, this film may seem slower than most Stanley Kubrick films, but the pacing and slow comfort it affords allows the real terror to be more menacing. Overall, this film may not be a favorite of Stephen King, but it is worth a viewing, especially with the lights off.
  • nbfcblog25 January 2018
    A Horror Masterpiece
    Some may not like that the movie deviates from the novel, but The Shinning stands on its own as a definitive horror classic.

Stanley Kubrick gives his signature cinematic vision with mind-blowing cinematography, eerie music, and a dream-like atmosphere. Jack Nicholson turns in one hell of a performance playing a writer descending into madness.

Like other Kubrick films, the story has many layers of detail and meaning that makes the re-watch value very high.

Kubrick manages to make a truly chilling horror movie, and he didn't need to turn the lights off.
  • Christopher Reid19 January 2018
    Psychotic, menacing, bizarre
    The Shining is a good horror movie, perhaps one of the best. But the horror genre is such a weak genre IMO that, unfortunately, that isn't saying all that much. I like the atmosphere and the many unique, strange and intense moments which are sprinkled throughout. The cinematography is great as are the sets.

The music is effective, often jarring and atonal. Parts of it are like a heartbeat in 3/4 time with coming and going ominous brass sounds. It's easy to not notice and just get drawn in by accompanying imagery which is often mesmerising.

Jack Nicholson gives a maniacal performance but this questions whether he was ever sane in the first place. Perhaps it would have been more effective to have him start out more clearly good so that his fall is more dramatic. Also, it would have been nice to see some more internal conflict, as if there was good fighting evil.

Shelley Duvall plays her role really well, Nicholson observed it was the toughest role he'd ever see someone take on. She ends up hysterical at many times and we can understand why. But again, it may have been more effective starting with an actress who seemed more strong and stable to start with who then changes, rather than someone who already appears vulnerable. Duvall reminds me a lot of Olive Oyl (Popeye's girlfriend) because of her big eyes and long, gangly frame. I was amused to find out that she actually played that role in the Popeye movie.

There is much left open to interpretation in this movie, but I don't think many answers are to be found. It's more about the ride. There is no deliberate underlying logic, although it's tempting to try to figure something out. What's important is that the many strange scenes are memorable and can get under the skin. They get your imagination going. But they don't come together in a deeper coherent story. The Sixth Sense has successful twists and surprises that enhance the movie. The Shining has no such things, just mystery and contradictions.

My favourite parts may be the elevator visions, the twin girls, the room and what we see in it, the intense performances of the leads, the overall music and visuals and a handful of other specific moments and details. This isn't so much a flawed movie as one which you wish had a bit more substance or conflict in it. It's suspenseful and entertaining but doesn't achieve greatness other than surpassing the standards of most horror movies.
  • areatw18 January 2018
    Masterpiece in suspense and terror
    It's almost 4 decades since the release of 'The Shining', yet it's still cited to this day by many as the best horror film of all time. While there have been many great horrors released since, it's difficult to make a case for any of them being as terrorising and relentlessly tense as 'The Shining'. This is the mother of all horror films and, unless something truly groundbreaking comes along that completely reinvents the genre, it always will be.

Jack Nicholson's performance in this film is one of the best I've even seen from an actor. Watching his character slowly losing his mental sanity is terrifying to watch, especially since it's so realistically portrayed by Nicholson. 'The Shining' is a relentlessly frightening film and the final sequence is comfortably one of the most terrifying, and most memorable, in film history. This is a must-see for horror fans, and highly recommended for film fans in general.
  • theterminator-9237810 January 2018
    Cinematic gold
    When you think of the director Stanley Kubrick you think of 2001 a space Odyssey and a clockwork orange and then there is the shinning one of his best and you honestly feel like he aced this movie and it would be somthing which defines him as a director and it is. Jack Nicholson who give it 110% as he always does in his movies, and we see if go slowly insane as Jack Torrance. another star who gave a amazing performance was Shelley Duvall who every time jack goes crazy gives a emotionally charged response to his madness and Wendy has to be the only saine one in the family . Danny Torrance was played by Danny Lloyd and man was he a creepy kid in this one and that thing he did with his finger and they way he talked makes us terrified. i have to say i have seen a lot of horror movies in my time but none as bone chilling and psychological as The shinning and for that i really appreciate this film one of my favorite parts were the Grady twins in the hallway and the scenes were jack is at the bar those are just snip-its of the greatness that this movie has and i would defiantly recommend this to any horror fans who want a spine chilling experience.
  • Eric Stevenson9 January 2018
    How'd I miss it?
    "The Shining" is in fact the most referenced movie I had not seen before. It was great to be able to understand the endless number of homages to it, even though it didn't really show me a lot of new stuff. The movie itself is so good that it doesn't really matter if you know a lot about it as it's still great to watch. I think everyone knows the story. This was a great film for Book Month as I have actually read the book version of "The Shining". It was an awesome book and I don't think this movie was as good as it.

There was a lot of backstory left out, but this is still great. What's notable is that in the book version, Jack Torrance is more sympathetic, doesn't kill anyone, and ultimately redeems himself. This is what caused author Stephen King to dislike the movie mostly because Jack is in fact based on King himself. I admit that Jack is definitely more villainous here and comes off as less caring of his family. Still, there are a lot of great references and a good portion of the plot is the same. I've seen nearly every Stanley Kubrick movie now.

The music is a huge part of what makes this so enjoyable. It creates wonderful tension, especially during the more intense scenes. It's great from the get go, as we see everything set up so nicely. For a movie that's two and a half hours long, it sure didn't seem to go on forever. I guess it's because I'm familiar with the book which was fairly long. While I didn't like it as much as "A Clockwork Orange" or "Dr. Strangelove", it's still wonderful. ****
  • elijahbutler-4011928 December 2017
    My favorite Horror Movie of ALL TIME!
    The Shining is one of those movies that you can watch over and over and over again and it NEVER gets boring, as a matter a fact, it gets better. Film makers such as Stanley Kubrick are geniuses in movie history. All of Kubrick's films have something special, they all have tension and they all feel real. Jack Nicholson's performance is ABSOLUTELY breath taking and this is possibly his BEST performance in his entire career. I also liked Shelley Duvall and I really don't understand why she received a lot of hate and abuse in this film, I thought she was great and I didn't have any problems with her or her character AT ALL! Danny Loyd as Danny Torrance is very mature for a child actor and his character is VERY interesting and Loyd has given one of the BEST child performances of all time! To me, The Shining is like no other Horror movie! I LOVE Horror movies and i'm a BIG fan of the genre from movie categories from slashers to monster movies, found footage, paranormal activity, doll movies, entities, and my favorite category, Psychological. The Shining is a gold star when it comes to horror movies or just movies in GENERAL! This movie is a masterpiece and a classic on so many levels and it's definitely a movie that everyone should see at least once in their life time! The Shining is a movie that has stood the test of time VERY successfully and it's my FAVORITE Horror movie of all time as well as one of my favorite movies of all time and i'm gonna give The Shining an A+
  • foxhound-377814 December 2017
    We will never see horror films like this anymore....
    This is one of those rare gems where every time you watch it you appreciate it just that little bit more each time.

First things first, Jack Nicholson.... Jack... Freaking.... Nicholson... If you want to see good acting and i mean beyond amazing acting in a horror film, check out Jack Nicholson in this movie. we see his complete personality transformation on screen starting from being a humble author looking for peace and quiet, gradually becoming more frustrated with his wife and living circumstances building up to him becoming a full on murderous lunatic. His chaotic nature is just amazing to see on screen.

Shelly Duval is an actress I didn't really know of until I saw this movie and even she played an amazing role as Jacks wife, and a very underrated actress if I don't mind saying so. Some of the imagery in this film is terrifying even to this day, like when young Danny is riding around on his tricycle and suddenly stops when he sees two girls randomly appear in front of him, you just know something horrible is about to be showed on screen. from the two dead girls who have been axed to death covered in blood in the hallway to blood pouring out of an elevator flooding the place, there is imagery in this movie that will play hell on your mind as your watching it. I first saw this movie when I was only 11 so if that's anything to go by....

A large theme in The Shining is the theme of Psychological effects. The Psychological effects of Jack being stuck in isolation with his family, ending up in the ballroom full of people and sitting at the bar drinking bourbon and chatting to the bartender (despite the fact that it's just Jack talking to himself). Then there's the psychological effects of Jacks behavior that's taking it's toll on his wife more and more as the film goes on. The psychological effects of the family dealing with knowing what happened in this hotel previously...Danny constantly having visions of previous events... the list goes on...

The conclusion to this film is quite fitting and the classic "Here's Johnny" scene is still to this day a terrific blend of terror and humor combined together.

Overall, The Shining is one of the best horror movies ever made, hands down. It is slow in the beginning and there are large portions of the movie where there isn't much going on and rather quiet at times too, but to me, this is what makes the movie work so well. It has a classic slow build that adds up to a wonderful climax.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Easily Nicholson's finest work.

Fox.
  • salcedoalex1 December 2017
    The shining review
    The shining is a horror movie that in my opinion is very well done because you will think that it is just a scary movie and seeing it only once it seems scary just in truth, it has many easter eggs mostly about the First Natives. If it's your first time watching the movie, you will hardly catch them but after watching it several times and with the help of criticism and analysis of the movie you will be able to understand them which makes the movie very interesting. Definitely this movie is a classic and that everyone should see it, because although in some parts of the film they are scared, if you can understand the hidden messages of the movie, I'm sure you'll love this movie.
  • allisonkooyman27 November 2017
    The Shining
    Growing up with a best friend in love with Stephen King, we made it a must to see this film. Stanley Kubrick chose to bring King's novel to life in a terrifying film that gave me chill after every scene. Movies that have a mind blowing ending or even parts that do not make any sense and then come together at the end are my absolute favorite. Stanley Kubrick was able to capture the beautiful work that made all of us scratch our heads and even today we still question and theorize. Jack Nicholson, who plays Jack, is a writer who slowly becomes possessed as he and his family live in a hotel over the winter off season. To slowly see Jack go from bad to worse with no explanation was intriguing. His wife Wendy, played by Shelley Duvall, was confused as to why her husband was changing into a psychotic man and was afraid of her and her son, Danny's, life. The true relationship between mother and son is loving and nothing can break their bond after the events at the Overlook Hotel. The macguffin within the film is room 237. No one knows what happened in their and it is never explained. The audience just knows that something important happened in room 237. Although when Jack enters the room, he sees a naked woman in a bright green bathroom that is blinding if you watch the movie in he dark. Jack then realizes he is losing it and runs from the room as he sees the young attractive woman turn to an old hag. When strange and the most confusing/scary scenes some on, Stanley Kubrick lights the room, and he shot to blind the viewer. It is to act like a new world. In the improvised line, "Here's Johnny", by Jack, It has a Wes Anderson feel to it because it is straight on and bright shot. Finally, the ending scene where it slowly zooms in on the photo of Jack in a party at the Overlook Hotel in the 20's, It only leaves the audience questioning what is going on and then makes the search as to what it was even more fun. Stanley Kubrick, Jack Nicholson and others made a great effort to bring confusion in a good way to the audience.
  • bankofmarquis23 November 2017
    A masterpiece
    My 20 year old son and I stumbled across a classic film yesterday.  He hadn't seen it and I hadn't watched it on over 25 years.  So (instead of watching it edited and with commercials) we pulled out our BluRay copy and sat down and watched Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINING.

Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of this film (as a matter of fact, in a recent list I did of the top Stephen King movie adaptations, it ranked only at #7) and was curious as to what my son's reaction to it would be and if I would change my mind about this overly-wrong, over- the-top acted wrongly praised film.  Would my mind change?  Afterall I hadn't seen it in 25 years.  And...after watching it again...I can use only one word to describe it...

MASTERPIECE

Boy, was I wrong about this film.  It is fantastic.  Kubrick has made an almost perfect film.  The mood, the acting, the music, the story and - especially - the pictures that Kubrick creates on screen blend perfectly for a wonderful film-going experience.

Let's start with the direction of Kubrick.  He certainly had a vision and mood he wanted to create - and create it he did.  Alternating between real world colors and monochromatic visions (when the Spirits of the hotel take over), frame by frame is one visual masterpiece after another.  There isn't a wasted shot in this film.  Every frame, every look, every shot setup tells a story on it's own.  I could watch this film with the sound off and still have a transcendent film experience.  This is a master at the top of his game.

Also at the top of his game is Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance, the caretaker that is slowly taken over by the hotel.  His performance starts low-key and "normal" and slowly grows crazier and crazier (with occasional glimpses of "real crazy") until he finally goes "full Jack" at the end.  But this isn't just a parody performance (which so many of his performances later on has become), it is a tour-de-force acting performance that rates right up there with the greats of all time.

Matching Nicholson beat for beat - and one of the most underrated performances of all time -  is Shelly Duvall as Jack's wife, Winifred "Windy" Torrance.  Famously, Kubrick treated Duvall horribly on set in order to push her to heights she never before (or since) reached.  Nicholson's performance would not be as effective without Duvall's counterbalance.  It is masterful.

The cinematography, editing and sound all add to the mood and atmosphere, ratcheting up the tension until everything explodes in violence and blood.

Realize that this film is a slow burn and takes its time at every scene - and I mean EVERY scene - don't expect a fast paced, slick edited "modern" film, it is much, much more - and better - than that.

It is not often that I totally change my mind about a film.  I am happy to say that this is one such time.

If you haven't seen this in awhile, I highly advise you to check it out.

Letter Grade:  A+

A rare 10 (out of 10) stars and you can take that to the Bank(ofMarquis)
  • shaunwebb6622 November 2017
    Way Less Scary Than You Would Think
    I hated it. From Shelly DuVall's constant whining to the Danny Torrence "croaky" voice, the film grated on me all the way thru. Nicholson had no chance of saving this dud, as no matter how hard he tried, the whiny DuVall upstaged him. Scatman Crothers? Better suited for Hong Kong Phooey.

Avoid this version. The disappointment you feel after watching it will grate at you for a lifetime. Terrible.

The two stars I gave it were the dialogue from Nicholson to DuVall, and I quote, "I'm just going to bash your brains in." Too bad he didn't.
  • rebeccalucy20 November 2017
    Phenomenal!
    Such a phenomenal horror, definitely not over-rated! I absolutely loved the music in this film as it would not be as tension filled without. The hotel set was eerie and unnerving throughout, with great props that really created the atmosphere.

The editing and cinematography was carefully planned and adds to the horror themes. Some of the sudden zooms caught me off guard and I liked the shot that focused on Jack's face as he gradually becomes worse. All of the acting was amazing, I felt genuinely scared for both Danny and Wendy. Jack was terrifying as he deteriorates and attacks his family. His actor deserves the praise he gets, I don't believe the film would be as great without him.

Overall, it is expertly directed, acted and edited with fantastic music. A must see classic for any film fan!
  • nachtjager18 November 2017
    Short and sweet review
    Classic movie. The shining is a great book and translated quite well into film. I'm not a huge horror buff, but this movie is among the top 5 horror films that i have ever seen. The director caught some flak from Stephen King with various choices that he made, but regardless, this movie is great (Halloween) fun.
  • paulamenezes9 November 2017
    The Shining Review
    The movie is very interesting and perplexing, you need to see it at least twice and look at different reviews to see The Shining with a different perspective and other interpretation, because once you see it you think that is just a horror movie that talks about a writer that goes to a isolate place to refresh his mind, have an inspiration, and instead of this he gets crazy and tries to kill his family, but actually the movie has a lot of hidden things or "Easter eggs" mostly about the First Natives genocide caused by the Europeans that first came here, and other things like incest, that you don't realize without seeing the movie more than one time. I can affirm that this movie is a classic and everybody should see it, because it's a blow mind and of course there are some parts that you want too close your eyes because it's scary.
  • luziapaul9 November 2017
    The Review to the shining
    The film is a classic because it is breathtaking. That needs to be watched. There is not much to complain about this movie. The Acting Performance was very good. It had a good sound recording. While you watch the movie you will never get boring. The film its exciting from the beginning to the end. The movie is recommended.
  • rebeccaoggioni9 November 2017
    A movie to watch
    When I first saw "The Shining" I just watched it like a normal horror movie. But when I watched it another time I understood many more things about this movie. There is a story behind it, but it's hard to catch it at first sight. If you search some interpretations about it, you'll find out many versions that will help you to have a clearer idea about the message of the film. Some of the interpretations say that the topic is about the incest. Some others think that the movie is about native Americans genocide. The hotel in which the film takes part is built on a native American burial ground and there are also paintings on the walls that recalls of native American.
  • monarcagiulia9 November 2017
    What was Kubrick trying to tell us?
    At first sight, The Shining may seem just like a horror movie. However, Stanley Kubrick makes it more interesting and compelling. The Shining is not just about a crazy man who kills his family, there is a lot more than that. There are different theories about this movie. What was Kubrick trying to say? Was he even trying to say something? Someone thinks the movie is about incest. Someone else says that the whole film is about the native American genocide, which I think is a more interesting theory. Starting with the initial theme song, which recalls of native music, there are many features in the film to support this theory. There are Native American decorative motifs abound, and Wendy is often dressed as a native. In the fridge scene, the portrait of a native can be seen on a can. The blood river can symbolize the blood of Native Americans killed in the genocide. These are just some of the scenes that can be interpreted as symbols. I think that The Shining is not a simple movie, but it needs to be unpacked. It needs to be watched several times before you can fully understand it. I've seen it just twice, so I can't really say that I got it all. The only thing I know is that I will never get bored watching it again and again. This movie never gets old, and that is why I believe it can be called a classic.
  • logansomerville9 November 2017
    The Shining is a movie that has multiple layers in the story line.
    I believe that Kubrick incorporated many different Easter eggs into the shining and I believe they were put there intentionally. The most obvious Easter egg seen in the movie is the Native American influence on the many native American artworks and symbols. Some of these symbols included the native American chief head on the food cans, the paintings in the hotel and the styles on the carpets. I think that Kubrick was trying to build an uneasiness about the hotel in the way of it being on a native burial ground. The theory that there was incest in the family between Dani and Jack I believe isn't very viable even with the different Easter eggs in the movie. The scene of Jack reading the playboy magazine before his interview, Dani's imaginary friend tony, and the mention of past abuse to Dani from Jack i don't think does enough to suspect incest but I do think that it makes it very likely that Dani was abused more than once unlike Jack said in the movie. I think that this movie should be considered a classic because of its many layers in the story line that make it enjoyable to watch more than once because you may catch something the next time you watch it. This is a very great movie and I definitely would recommend watching it.
  • douglasmusselman9 November 2017
    Groundbreaking
    "The Shining", in my opinion, is one of the greatest horror films of all time. The way it incorporates suspense along with outright terror keeps your eyes glued to the screen. The many easter eggs are also cool because even after watching, there is so still much stuff to uncover. They also give the film many layers. This movie is a classic because, although it is under the genre of horror, it differs from many others. Overall a great movie, and every time you watch, there's more to find.