User Reviews (218)

• Joseph P. Ulibas26 October 2004
    Stephen King meets George A. Romero!!
    Creepshow (1982) was a horror fan's dream come true. Two of the masters in their respective fields joining forces to collaborate on a movie. Several tales filmed in an anthology style based upon the E.C. Comics that the two enjoyed reading in their youths. With Stephen King writing and George A. Romero directing plus Tom Savini creating the gory special effects how can you go wrong? You just can't and the aforementioned duo delivers the goods.

The story begins as a young kid is being punished by his overbearing and brutish father for reading "trashy filth" and is punished. During the night the tossed out comic book comes to life and plays out all the stories (in comic book form) with the "Creepshow Ghoul' leading the way. Black comedy has never been funnier.

All the stories are excellent and well directed. The set pieces are very well designed and are brilliantly executed. You have to love the lighting schemes. The cast is a mixture of new actors and classic ones. George A. Romero stated that he finally got to work with Fritz Weaver and Hal Holbrook and E.G. Marshall. Leslie Nielsen, Adrienne Barbeau, Ted Danson and Ed Harris co-star as well. A couple of Romero regulars such as his wife Christine, Tom Savini and who can forget Stephen King as Jordy Verill.

Creepshow is a true modern day horror classic. I have enjoyed this as a child and I still consider this movie one of my favorite horror films. Sadly the two could never capture the magic they once had. Maybe they'll work together directly in the near future. This movie was near flawless in design. They set out to recapture the old E.C. Comics aura and they succeeded. Followed by a absolutely bad sequel.

Highly recommended!
  • Mr_Ectoplasma29 July 2006
    Creepily Comical.
    "Creepshow" is a unique, funny, and creepy horror anthology from Stephen King and George A. Romero. The film centers around five stories - consisting of a murderous revenge tale of a father on fathers day ; a redneck (played by Stephen King himself) who begins growing a green substance on his body after coming in contact with a meteor ; a man who buries his wife and her lover up to their heads on the beach as the tide begins to come in ; a strange monster that lives in a crate that was discovered beneath a stairway ; and a Scrooge-like businessman who lives in a purely sanitized apartment that can't get rid of pesky cockroaches.

Each of the stories displayed in this movie are a little bit corny to a certain extent, but they are still well done and are quite amusing. There is a very good cast, including Ed Harris, Leslie Nielsen, Ted Danson, Adrienne Barbeau, and E.G. Marshall, whom all give good performances in the movie. The whole movie is tied in with the classic E.C. comics from the 1950s, each story as if it were from a comic book. I thought that whole comic aspect was pretty unique, and I liked the stories in the film ("The Crate" is by far the best of them all, the one with Leslie Nielsen is my runner up for second place).

Bottom line - if you are expecting some serious, intense horror movie, this is not for you. This movie isn't scary at all, I watched it when I was very young and it failed to even scare me then. "Creepshow" is a comical, campy, and well-done horror anthology. I only recommend it if you like this sort of thing, because it is more comic than horrific. Otherwise, it's really quite good for what it is. 8/10.
  • HumanoidOfFlesh17 December 2001
    Classic!
    George A.Romero("Dawn of the Dead","Day of the Dead","Martin")after huge success with "Dawn of the Dead" directed his another masterpiece-an anthology of five short stories called "Creepshow".The script was written by Stephen King,and the special effects were made by F/X wizard Tom Savini("Martin","Maniac","The Prowler").The first story "Father's Day" is so-so-nothing special,but the zombie looks terrific;the second story "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verril" is the funniest,Stephen King steals the show as a Jordy,a goofy farmer,who finds a strange meteor;the third story "Something To Tide You Over" is my favourite-it's ghastly,creepy,funny and a little bit disturbing,again great make-up of the drowned zombies;the fourth story "The Crate" is the longest and goriest-there's a lot of suspense and plenty of gore mixed with black humour.Finally we are getting to the last story "Creeping Up On You"-an enjoyable story about cockroaches with some rather gross special effects.Overall I must say that I love "Creepshow"-surely they don't make them like this anymore.This is a REAL horror,not a teen-oriented garbage like "Scream" or "Urban Legend".Check it out.
  • John Crane16 October 2007
    Creepshow, Sold Out!
    This was after Tales from the Crypt, however, Romero and King both where heavily influenced by these comics that they developed a movie that was sort of a satire/parody of Tales but in the same time a tribute to that comic book. In this movie there are four scary stories being told some written by Stephen King from his short stories and some written by Romero and SK. These stores, for that time, were pretty scary and freaked me out when they came in theaters. There are many great things about this movie that I enjoyed but there was, however, one huge things that I did not like about this movie. Regardless, it's about time for two horror geniuses to team up and do something good for a change.

First off, the movie itself is about a comic book similar to Tails and the four stories in the movie come directly from the Creepshow comic books. The reason why that this idea works in not only the principle of bringing a comic book to life but the way it was shot, edited and lit. The camera angles had very defined and geometrical angels, similar to those that you would see in a comic book. The lighting when something horrible happens turns red, or if somebody is screaming the background turns to a shattered red background, thereby giving each scene a more comic book-like feel to visual picture. It had choppy edits and quick cuts, which we all know that comic books have. So we have a visual perspective of a comic, the overall pattern and texture of a comic and now we have the quick stimulus of a comic.

Between each story there is a sub-story dealing with a young boy who finds the Creepshow comic book and how little by little he becomes more possessed by it. These intermissions also incorporate The Creep or our host for the evening. This character is by far the Crypt Keeper or the Vault Keeper to our mockup of Tales. Like the Crypt Keeper in the actual comic, he begins each segment with a scene setup and a conclusion, however he does not talk, he just blows around in the wind. With the beginning of each new story it starts out with a still scene of that story with heavy rotoscoping to make it look as if it is a comic book page, then fades out to a real-life still image and then begins. The same could be said about the ending. The clever technique gives the viewer a further illustration that this is a comic book come to life.

Though this movie strikes it rich on my scare-o-meter there is just one thing that took me out of the movie just a little. I know what they where going at when they decided this concept and I understand it was a good idea but it doesn't work when it gets put on film. The campy one-liners, the cheesy sub-story and the lame screams. Of course its predecessor did the same thing, I don't think that it works as well on film as it does on paper. I think it was a nice try though.

Overall I do believe that this is a horror/parody classic and that many horror fans, if not cult horror fans, would like this movie for what it is. I certainly enjoyed it, even now; I recommend this movie to anybody who loves the zombie king and the horror king. A movie worth buying a ticket for.
  • Spikeopath4 March 2008
    Fan heaven as two horror greats come together.
    George A Romero & Stephen King combine here to give us 5 joyously silly tales based on the style of the E.C. Comics that both men loved as youths.

The film begins with a young boy having his comic collection thrown away by his father, this angers the boy and he plots evil revenge that segues into the five stories.

"Father's Day" is the opening story and whilst it isn't short on the camp factor, it's a very inauspicious start, a zombie father returns to enact vengeance on his horrid family in the name of cake! Next up is "The Lonesome Death Of Jody Verill", which sees Stephen King himself in the title role of a less than dumb hick who touches a fallen meteor and thus starts to turn into a plant monster. King has fun with the role but overplays it to dangerously annoying ham proportions, but it's a tidy fable with a cool ending. We then get to my personal favourite of the bunch with "Something To Tide You Over," here we have a delightfully villainous Leslie Nielson burying his unfaithful wife and her lover {Ted Danson} in the sand up to their necks as the tide starts to come in, naturally there is a grizzly twist a coming.

"The Crate" sees the arrival of Hal Holbrook and Adrienne Barbeau into the proceedings, a smart message of not opening crates marked with "Danger, Do Not Open," and here we get a genuinely scary monster into the show. The final segment is "They're Creeping Up On You" which seems to be a favourite of many across the site, and although it has creepy impact for those scared of insects, it's not the crowning glory I was hoping for. We are then cut back to the boy and his thirst for revenge and the film finishes with a glint in its eye, more schlock and camp than outright horror, but still a great piece of 80s fun for fans to enjoy, 7/10.
  • evanstew20 October 2006
    Where's my cake?!?
    What a fun movie! Stephen King as Jordy Verril was surprisingly good(considering he sucks at acting in almost everything he's ever done), Leslie Nielson and Ted Danson killing each other were brilliant (you've come a long way, Becker), and the rest of the cast is just fabulous. As for the writing, it mas simply masterful, and we would expect nothing less from King. Five original, striking vignettes of people killing each other, getting killed, going crazy, and getting the crap scared out of them. Best of all was the directing, easily. Romero did a great job creating the pulp comic feel, with comic book panel segues, goofy dream sequences and flashbacks, and best of all, the jarring zooms with the red and blue lighting. It sounds stupid, but it works superbly. Everything came together on this film, and it shows. 8/10
  • Chromium_59 November 2004
    A classic movie for all the sickos out there...
    I think it's pretty clear that the amount of enjoyment you get out of this movie is directly related to how sick your sense of humor is. Those people with a fairly low tolerance for sick humor, such as myself, won't particularly like it, but people who thoroughly enjoy horror cheese like "Tales From the Crypt" should LOVE this.

Now, even though I personally don't like this movie, I have to admit it is very well made. Everything is perfectly over-the-top: the music, the gaudy colors, the makeup--it's all done to the point where it is totally ridiculous, which is what King and Romero want. And I must admit I did like the segment "The Crate." How can you NOT love a giant ape-monster running around tearing people to bits? Sick, sick stuff, but enjoyable all the same.

If you like gruesome black humor, this is the movie for you. "Creepshow" is shock schlock at its very best. And as an added bonus, it is not very well known today, so it can have a wonderful "What the hell are you WATCHING!?" effect on other people.

8/10 stars.
  • Claudio Carvalho30 May 2009
    Entertaining Horror Tales
    This movie is divided in five stories, conducted by a leading segment where the stressed father of a boy that loves horror comic books throws his Creepshow magazine in the garbage. The wind changes the pages and discloses the tales listed below.

"Father's Day" – While waiting Aunt Bedelia (Viveca Lindfors) for a dinner party, the greedy family recalls that she killed her own father seven years ago. Now her undead father returns from the grave as a zombie expecting to eat his cake. This segment is weak, and it is curious to see Ed Harris performing a minor role. (6).

"The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" – The redneck farmer Jordy Verrill (Stephen King) finds a meteor in his property in Castle Rock County and dreams on selling it for the local university and raising a large amount. However he is affected by the meteor and strange weeds grow-up on his body. This segment is the silliest and the greatest curiosity is Stephen King performing the lonely farmer. (5).

"Something to Tide you Over" - Harry Wentworth (Ted Danson) is forced by the revengeful Richard Vickers (Leslie Nielsen), who is the former husband of his woman Becky Vickers (Gaylen Ross), to go to Comfort Point beach and to bury himself in the sand. Then he brings a Television and a VCR to show Becky buried in the same conditions. With the high tide, their heads are submerged for the pleasure of the insane Richard. However, on the next night, he is visited by a couple of zombie lovers. This dark and claustrophobic segment is the scariest one and the only flaw is the lack of previous development of the characters. (9).

"The Crate" – When the janitor of a university finds a crate hidden below the stairs, he reports his findings to Professor Dexter Stanley (Fritz Weaver). They open the container and sooner Dexter finds that there is a hunger creature inside that devours the janitor and another scientist. When the disturbed Dexter tells to his colleague and friend Henry Northrup (Hal Holbrook) what happened, Henry sees the chance to get rid off his bitch wife Wilma Northrup (Adrienne Barbeau). This segment is the funniest, and the situations of Henry imagining killing Wilma are hilarious. (8).

"They're Creeping up on You!" – The mean and selfish Upson Pratt (E.G. Marshall) lives in an expensive bug-proof penthouse and treats his employees like garbage. During a blackout, his fancy apartment is infested by coach roaches driving Pratt to a tragic end. This gruesome tale is simple but nasty, with many coach roaches. (7).

The lead segment ends with the boy using a voodoo doll to provoke pain in his father.

This is the third time that I watch these entertaining horror tales, now on DVD. I only regret that there are no sequels of these great stories. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Creepshow"
  • boba-212 September 1998
    One Great Horror Movie!
    I was ten years old the first time I saw Creepshow in the theater in 1982. I was overtook by the visual effects. The backgrounds are what make the film. My brother looked at the wrong newspaper for the movie, so I arived at the theater twenty minutes late for the movie. My heart raced and my eyes opened wide to the sight of a half-decayed man with a head on a platter. There were candles and icing on the decapitated head. The decayed man said in a disgusting voice,"It's Father's Day...And I got my cake!" No other horror movie ever effected me in that way. It was the most brilliant spectical I've ever seen in a motion picture. Creepshow is a very under-rated film. I had to get that out.
  • Stephanie Bishop1 November 2005
    It's pretty good
    Despite some major problems (mainly contained in Stephen King's uneven and often heavy-handed script), this is still a pretty fun attempt to bring 1950s EC horror comics to the big screen. One of the best things about it is director George ('Night of the Living Dead') Romero's creative, vivid direction, that captures the bright color schemes and comic book framing to a tee. Each tale has a different horror theme usually tempered with some comedy and ranging from a rich patriarch returning from the dead to get revenge on his obnoxious family to a meteor that causes an outbreak of vegetation to a fanged, ape-like creature that's been locked away in a crate for decades. All five of the tales presented, despite some missteps, offer up good gory fun. Some of the acting is good, too, particularly Adrienne Barbeau as a heavy drinking, obnoxious faculty wife who gets what she deserves, Hal Holbrook as her hen-pecked husband and E.G. Marshall as a wealthy, obsessively clean old jerk who is savaged in his futuristic apartment by a legion of cockroaches. Talk about flesh crawling! Tom Savini's special effects are great, as usual.
  • Foreverisacastironmess9 November 2011
    Pure gold, Creepshow is truly my favourite movie of all time. A priceless horror classic.
    I'm a fan of most film types, but I do like horror the best. Mostly 80's ones. I believe this film is responsible for my lifelong love of the genre- not just the films but also books and short stories. I love discovering the truly great ones. I believe everyone has a favourite movie, and if they don't, then they just haven't seen it yet. 10 out of 10 doesn't begin to cover what this movie means to me. A million wouldn't be enough. When I watch this movie, it makes me feel kinda happy! As a little kid, I would always seem to watch this around Christmas time. So this fun, but gruesome movie in which people get eaten alive and horribly killed, actually makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! It never scared me a bit. I always found it way too fun and enchanting to possibly be scared by it. There's just one thing I don't like. It's when some big scare happens and the colour of everything will change to some bright hue. I don't think it works, it looks silly. For me it takes away from the movie rather than adding anything. This movie is not for "all the sickos out there" That is such complete bullshit. You're thinking of the slimy likes of Hostel there. All the music is fantastic and is a huge part of why I love it. Three little cues in "Lonesome Death" "Tide" and "Crate" are from Night of the living Dead. All the scores set the various tones so perfectly in all the tales... I love Vivica Lindfors performance in the first tale. So funny, so bitter! The grave scene where she drunkenly rants at her "dead" father is both moving and funny. All those wonderful mannerisms she does with her hands. The most scary moment in the tale for me is when Bedelia arrives at the cemetery and imagines her father's voice. So creepy. The Grantham zombie is one of the best, scariest zombies of all time. The worms in the face, dirt-rattling voice, shambling walk. Love it. I've seen it tons, but still feel the sweet anticipation of the final scene. Yarg! Head cake!!! So over the top, so awesome. What the hell happened next is what I always wanted to know! This is a great tale. You can almost set your watch by it... The second is the most loopy and humorous tale. The one I like the least. I always thought of it as something to get over before getting back to the good stuff. It's not bad, just a little less fun than the rest. Stephen King was never the best looking of guys. I thought he played the goof-ball Jordy very well. Bingo O' Malley was funny too, in the surreal daydreams. Loved that meteor! With that weird ding-dong sound it makes. I love the weird warbly space alien sound that hums throughout. And the grass! I do love the grass itself. It's cool how they made it look all strange and glowy, rather than just ordinary grass(!) Space grass apocalypse!!! The whole tide coming in element of the third episode is quite claustrophobic, and very impressively done. The scene where Leslie Nielson returns to the beach to admire his handiwork is very eerie. There is something uniquely creepy about a cold deserted beach with a ghostly wind blowing. When poor Becky and Richard come back as sea zombies, you can still recognise Danson, but Ross is completely unrecognisable. They look brilliant, all puffy and wrinkled and drowned looking. It makes it all the sweeter when they get their revenge on Nielson! Die jerk!!! Tale number four is easily the scariest. Fritz Weaver's babbling always bugged me. I first saw Adrienne Barbeau in this, so whenever I would see her in anything else, I would always remember her as the drunkard harpy from hell-Billie! She is magnificent. I love the horrible pitch she does with her voice. Even the monster can't stand the sound! Her funniest line for me is one involving Flipper! I actually feel a little sorry for her when she gets eaten face first! And it does sound like the monster growls "thank you Henry!" You never know! I love the monster's lair. There is something so marvellously simple and creepy about an ordinary place/thing housing some terrible and deadly secret, and Stephen King knows this very well. I wouldn't bother with his short story version of The Crate though. Let's just say say they used the best parts of it. I just love mysterious creatures. This one's no mystery, though. I'ts the Abominable Snowman. Hello?! ARCTIC expedition! (Tazmanian Devil my ass) Fangtastic monkey devil. Obviously some kind of demon. The longevity's a dead giveaway, and the way that it can suck people up like a vacuum cleaner! Clearly crafted with such tender loving care. The ending is genuinely chilling, with the monster glaring up from the dark depths with those horrible eyes of ancient evil... From the murk to the deceptively bright and clean. Obviously, because it involves bugs, the final tale is the one that most gets under your skin. The cold clinical atmosphere and crazy bug music really gets you thinking of crawling things. I thought E.G.Marshall was terrific as a rich and mean old git who gets his apples. The moment when all the roaches burst from the dead Pratt's chest. That is one of the greatest horror moments ever. It's spectacular. Thank you George, for making my favourite movie, thank you Stephen, for dreaming it up with that brilliant mind of yours that understands the fun in horror so well, thank you Tom, for creating all your beautiful ghouls and beasts that so captured my imagination. Greatest horror anthology movie, ever. Bravo, gentleman, bravo. I have nothing but love for this sweet jewel of a horror movie, and I hope I expressed that well here today. Thank you for reading.
  • brando6472 September 2008
    Cheesy Fun from Two Horror Masters
    Stephen King and George Romero joined forces and brought us an anthology of short horror stories, tied together as stories in a 1950's style horror comic book. The film includes five stories, all written by King: a deceased father returns from the grave for a special Father's Day reunion, a small-town simpleton dreams of riches when a strange meteor crashes on his property, a jolted husband exacts revenge on his cheating wife and her lover, a professor discovers a century-old secret hidden in a crate beneath the stairs, and a germophobic businessman's "germ-proof" apartment is invaded by cockroaches. The stories are all tied together as part of a comic book with some cool illustrations used as transitions between each tale.

I was surprised by some of the good performances in this movie. My favorite would easily be Leslie Nielsen as Richard Vickers in "Something to Tide You Over", the husband getting his thrills from torturing his cheating wife and her boyfriend. I enjoyed seeing Nielsen in a role that wasn't comedic, as I was used to. Instead, we get a glimpse of his evil side. Oddly enough, I also enjoyed Stephen King's cartoonish performance as the title character in "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill". The first time I saw the movie, I found him annoying. Since then, it's grown on me and now I enjoy his bit in the movie. We also get some good performances from Ted Danson and E.G. Marshall, though it's said Ed Harris was given such a small role. It almost feels wasteful.

As I had mentioned, the entire movie is stylized to create the feeling of 1950's horror comics. This means we treated to plenty of gel-colored lighting, oblique camera angles, eccentric characters, and even some comic book framing/captions. It creates a fun style, but it tends to detract from any horror element in the film. If it weren't for the occasional walking dead or blood-thirsty creature, I would almost consider this more of a dark comedy. Regardless of the genre, the film is entertaining for a two hour viewing, though nothing special. Despite it's horror roots, there isn't too much objectionable content which makes it relatively safe for the younger crowd to enjoy too. I wouldn't consider this film a classic, but it's worth the time to watch it if you haven't seen it yet.

My favorite segment, if I were to chose one, would definitely be "Something to Tide You Over". Leslie Nielsen FTW.
  • Nick Wagner (MovieManiacX)31 March 2005
    The Most Fun You'll Ever Have Being Scared! --- Really
    Creepshow is a helluva lot of fun. It takes a cast of fantastic actors and lets them have fun with all kinds of horrific situations. The chemistry between all of the actors is wonderful and the acting by everyone, especially E.G. Marshall, is superb. Romero casts some of his regulars including John Amplas, Christine Forrest (now George's wife) and legendary make-up artist Tom Savini in small parts, but they are an excellent way to round out a magnificent cast.

All of the stories are genuinely scary and funny at the same time, which is very hard to do. Father's Day takes a little while to get started, but once "Father" shows up (especially the way he shows up), it is damn creepy. The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill is the only story that is more funny than scary. Stephen King is awesome as the dumb, hickish farmer who starts becoming a plant. Something To Tide You Over also takes a little bit to start, but once it does, the atmosphere is frightening as hell. The Crate, which has the wonderful Adrienne Barbeau as a man's cynical, obnoxious wife, is probably my favorite. It features a very creepy atmosphere, a dark and gritty visual style, and a very scary monster. The idea behind it is sick and twisted, but the film handles it perfectly. I loved the ending to The Crate. It'll send a shiver down your spine. Last but not least, we have They're Creeping Up On You. This one hits home with the creepiness because I hate bugs, especially cockroaches. E.G. Marshall delivers some hilarious rants and has a great Scrooge "Bah-Humbug" attitude. The ending to this one is also a keeper.

The make-up and special effects are top notch. Once again, Tom Savini proves why he's the best in the business (contenders include Rob Bottin, Rick Baker, and Stan Winston). The undead father, the drowned zombies, and the crate creature are astonishing. The plant effects and Upson Pratt's grisly end are also great. Tom Savini and crew, keep up the good work! Romero proves once again that he is one of the best horror masters out there, along with John Carpenter, Wes Craven, David Cronenberg, and Sam Raimi. His goal here is to provide us with a good laugh and a good scare, and he succeeds with flying colors.

The Bottom Line:

This movie is meant to be a fun, comic book-like horror flick. It delivers everything: great acting, fantastic special effects, and a few great scares make for the most fun you'll have ever being scared!!!
  • Aaron137514 March 2003
    One of the better horror anthology movies.
    This is one of my favorite horror movie anthologies. All five stories are pretty good; some of course are better than others. This one is also a lot better than Creepshow 2, which had only one really good story to it. The first story is an ok story involving this old man killed by his daughter. He comes back to life expecting a cake cause its father's day. Nothing to surprising happens here, but it is still pretty fun. The next one involves the story that has Stephen King as the main star. This is probably the weakest one of the five, but it is worth a chuckle or two as King does a somewhat good job of playing a slow fellow. This story involves a meteor that makes grass grow everywhere. The next story is one of the best, a revenge tale with Ted Danson and Leslie Nielson. Danson has been having an affair with Nielson's wife so Nielson takes him to the beach and buries him up to his neck in the sand. He had done the same thing with his wife and the tide apparently kills them both...or does it? The next tale is rather good as well as it has Adriean Barbeau in it as this obnoxious wife. Her husband finds out about a crate that may take care of her though. And the final tale is about a doctor or something, who is a bit of a clean freak. He lives in a special apartment that is supposed to be germ free, but it apparently has a roach problem. I don't even think he is a doctor, but he seems to be wearing a doctor's clothes. All in all Creepshow is a pretty enjoyable flick.
  • jezfernandez8 November 2016
    A lovingly crafted B movie
    When I was about 13 years-old, I tried to rent this on VHS several times. Unfortunately, my mother kept walking in during a particularly violent segment and made me turn it off. It was a long time before I finally saw the whole film.

If you watch the accompanying Just Desserts documentary on the double-disc DVD, you'll see how lovingly crafted this film really was. Not only so, but this truly transcends the schlock horror of its E.C. origins. The acting is first rate and the plots surprisingly thoughtful, considering how short each segment is. For example, watch Aunt Bedelia's tortured graveside monologue in Father's Day, or the curious interplay between Henry and Dex in The Crate. E.G. Marshall totally nails it in They're Creeping Up On You, the segment most loaded with subtext.

Tom Savini's make-up effects are excellent and he doesn't scrimp on the gore. The one segment I dislike is Something To Tide You Over, as it's a particularly nasty and sadistic story (despite the just desserts moral).

Overall, this has a worthy place in the annals of 80s horror and will always hold fond memories for me; a young boy who just wanted to see that crate monster tear his victims apart like sour bread.
  • OllieSuave-00728 October 2016
    An outrageous creepy horror flick!
    This horror flick is an analogy of five stories of creepiness and horror - covering stuff from zombies to monsters to bugs. This film has that skin-crawling factor and those jumpy moments that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

The acting is not terribly good, the music score is somewhat eerie and the plots for each story are fast-paced to a degree. There are not much of humor, drama or action in this horror flick - just plain weirdness and thrills. The make-up and visual effects were well done, definitely giving off that sensation of fright and outrageous horror.

Not the greatest horror movie out there, but it's a good one to watch during Halloween.

Grade B-
  • loockmonster28 June 2016
    A masterpiece
    Creepshow is an outstanding film. How could it not be when Stephen King, George A. Romero, and Tom Savaini are all working together? The three are horror masters. If somebody were to say it was terrible or stupid, then they would be missing the point. The movie is a satire of EC horror comics from the 50's. The Creep is the horror host. (Like the crypt keeper or the old witch.)The visuals are also similar to the comics. The scene would turn red whenever something scary happened. A dark scene was light blue. The scenes always started out as comic book panel, but morph into a live action scene. The stories have everything horror fans could want. Rotting zombies, strange plants that won't stop growing, cartoonish revenge plots, monsters under the stairs, and mass swarms of bugs that can't be stopped. I would highly recommend this movie to people who love both horror and comic books. I would say "The Crate" is the best, and "They're Creeping Up On You", is the worst.
  • gilligan196514 November 2014
    A GREAT 'starter movie' for young horror fans!
    I remember the day I saw "Creepshow" at the theatre when it first came out. I was fifteen-years-old and I loved it then as I love it now, because...it's ALOTTA FUN! Not brutally scary, so, kids love it; cleverly funny, so, adults love it; and, comic bookish, so, everyone loves it!

To me, this is the 'perfect movie' for a horror fan to show to their early-teen to 'see' if the youngster likes scary movies or not (depending on the child, of course).

It's presented in a comic book fashion which gives it an attractive element that kids will enjoy. It also has 'silly' parts, such as "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill," played by none other than the writer and Master himself, Stephen King. It's family fun on Halloween night!

To this day, I have no idea as to WHY this movie has an 'R' rating. Some 'TV shows,' which EVERYONE has access to, are actually more graphic, and, more serious...i.e. - "The Walking Dead" (also, one of my personal favorites); "Z Nation;" etc.

As with 'any' movie or TV show, watch it first; then, do as you feel is right. I saw this at fifteen; my Son saw it at ten; kids nowadays probably see it at 6!?!? Considering what's now on television, this movie may even appear to a child as un-scary and passé - much like many of the the horror movies of the 1940s and 1950s were to my 1970s generation!?!?

I LOVE HORROR MOVIES, and, this flick is one of my all-time favorites as it's 'not-too-tart and not-too-sweet, it's just right! It also brings me back to my teens when the most important subjects in my life were girls; sports; comic books; record albums (vinyl, of course); and, the latest HORROR MOVIE! :)

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MOVIE!
  • kclipper28 September 2014
    One of the best anathology horror films ever!
    Here's to writers, George Romero and Stephen King, producer, Richard Rubenstein and a talented cast for collaborating on this 1980's classic illumination of the popularly demented comic books of the 1950's inspired by the weird works of H.P. Lovecraft and bringing it to colorful life. This features five stories. "Fathers Day", your typical "vengeance from the grave" tale, "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" in which Stephen King himself is turned into a mutated plant after a meteorite crashes on his farm, "Something To Tide You Over" with Leslie Neilson involved in a twisted revenge scheme that comes back to haunt him, "The Crate" has a prehistoric creature and a plan to get rid of a bitchy wife, and last but not least a million cockroaches terrorize a heartless businessman in "They're Creeping Up On You".

This combines excellent performances from a versatile group of genre actors with a brilliant use of color and dynamics to bring the campy and gory feel of the horror comics alive. The great cast includes, Adrienne Barbeau, Fritz Weaver, Ted Danson, Ed Harris, E.G. Marshall, Hal Holbrook, Tom Atkins, Viveca Lindfors and more. The stories are told with a witty and coherent script and lively pace, a perfectly fitting electronic musical score and a great wrap-around story brings it to a satisfying close. Tom Savini's talents go into the creature FX, and he has a cameo at the end... and hooray for scenes of this being filmed in my home town of Monroeville!! Enjoy!
  • gigan-9224 July 2012
    "Feel how hard your heart is beating, Harry? How fast?"
    I can't believe this movie only ranks at a 6.6 on IMDb. Of course, even at the time of its release back in '82 there was skepticism toward it. Headed by horror legends George A. Romero and Stephen King, people seem to forget this movie exists to do one thing and one thing only: celebrate the macabre and the sick. Note the title itself you douches consider their taste in film to be of the upper crust. "Creepshow" doesn't have the nihilistic undertone of Romero's usual work or King's expected psychological torture because it is meant to simply be a fun experience.

If you're a horror buff, you know Romero has long credited the classic EC horror comics of the 50s (e.g. Tales From the Crypt) as his inspiration. This is basically the whole point of the film; to feel like a comic book brought to life. Hence, things are bound to be marvelously over-the-top in some regards. One of the best things about this film, to me its strongest aspect in general, is its visual style. It angles many shots as if they were cut outs from a comic, there is some awesome usage of hand drawn animation (I LOVE the opening credit scene) and there is some BAD-ASS use of extreme lighting shifts. To put this in perspective, one second the room is darkly lit but not out of the ordinary per say. Next thing you know the room and all its objects are bathed in a blood-like red, making the photography so well done in this picture.

Another aspect you have to embrace in order to fully appreciate the film is its tone. As I said before, this isn't aiming to be cryptic and challenging like let's say "The Shining" (which King also wrote) or as realistic and seriously-toned as "Night of the Living Dead". If anything this movie is a blend of horror and comedy. Thing is it's a brand of comedy most people to this day don't get: the dirty guilty pleasure of black humor. A zombie who wants his Father's Day Cake, a hillbilly assuming a meteorite will fetch him a mere $200, a man feeding his nagging-boozed up wife to a snarling beast; the tales drip with not just blood but a comical yet stinging look at banal archetypes.

And the cast, let me tell ya, is damn good. It's not like they're handing out Academy Award winning lines, but the acting is pretty well done. Tom Atkins is pretty great as the abusive father, Viveca Lindfore (Bedelia) was awesome and who can forget Mr. King himself as Jordy Verrill? Ted Danson, Fritz Weaver, Hal Holbrook (YES), E.G. Marshall and the always-stunning Adrienne Barbeau do spectacular jobs. My favorite performance would just have to be Leslie Nielsen. He was pretty awesome, let's face it.

Topping all this off is one of my favorite horror film scores by none other than John Harrison. He also composed for Romero's 1985 film "Day of the Dead". Synthesizers and pianos, not to mention an eerie chorus, the music is just great. And the effects work of Tom Savini, as always, astounds. From creating the walking dead (no pun intended), to vicious crated-yeti—beast to a horde of disgusting cockroaches, he excels in his line of work.

"Creepshow" is a damn classic and should be eternally revered by all means. My only gripe is that the U.S. DVD is crap seeing as it contains no special features aside a trailer. I haven't seen a DVD with this little effort since Sony Tristar released those awful '50th Anniversary special edition' Godzilla DVDs. If you truly appreciate horror, and as I intend to do, buy yourself a copy of the Region 2 DVD which comes with behind the scenes material, commentaries and interviews with the masters behind the masterpiece. And trust me, Region 2 DVDs should play on most blu-ray and DVD players. My region 2 Godzilla DVDs perform just fine on both.

"Where's my Father's Day Cake?"
  • gwnightscream4 June 2012
    "One Of The Best Horror Anthology Films!"
    Hal Holbrook, Leslie Nielsen, Ted Danson, Adrienne Barbeau, Ed Harris, Tom Atkins and E.G. Marshall star in George Romero's 1982 horror anthology film featuring 5 creepy tales inspired by 1950's horror comics. "Father's Day" features a murdered man's corpse returning from the grave exacting revenge. "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" features a man who gets infected by a plant-growth substance from space. "Something To Tide You Over" features a madman plotting a sinister trap for his wife and her lover, but gets more than he bargained for. "The Crate" features a professor who discovers a hungry ancient creature and chooses his demanding wife for it's snack. "They're Creeping Up On You" features a rich snob with an insect phobia who gets terrorized by hundreds of cockroaches. This is definitely one of the best horror anthology films with a great cast, creepy score and cool effects by Tom Savini. Stephen King helped write this and makes an appearance along with Savini. King's son, Joe also plays the boy, Billy at the beginning and end of the film who gets even with his demanding father (Atkins). All 5 tales are good, but "Something To Tide You Over" is my favorite. I recommend this for your horror collection.
  • paesan115 January 2003
    Animation adds to the fantasy. Memorable scenarios.
    Possible Spoiler. After having seen this on tv recently, I was reminded of just how great Creepshow is. George Romaro created another cult classic equal to Night of the Living Dead. This one is campy and fun though, but twisted with a healthy strand of horror. The scenarios weave quirky characters with their manic sense of justice as only Stephen King can do. Each story concludes in a heap of terror. Most interesting is the use of animation, created masterfully by Rick Catizone. It takes us from the reality of a child's world, to the stirrings of the comic book monsters he reads about. The animation draws us in and blurs the line between fantasy and reality. Rick's artistry creates a wide-eyed, tender child just as easily as he creates the "Creep" who tells the stories and the effect of color that both connects the scenes as well as the stories. The cast is fabulous as well. Each one addresses the challenge of black comedy in a superb way - never going over the top or flying just under the radar. You'll never hear: "Henry!" or "Glub. Glub." in the same way again. See it. Enjoy it. And don't forget: Never disturb the thing that lives in the crate under the stairs!
  • navysealcdr13 January 2003
    Scary and Funny!
    POSSIBLE SPOILERS I love this movie! It is scary and funny at the same time. In some parts I didn't know what to do: scream or laugh.

Clever tales include: On father's day a man rises from the dead to get his father's day cake he never had. A 2 man cast where a meteor crashes on earth with a plant goo inside. Staring Stephen King. A crate under some stairs at a college contain a blood thirsty monster.

A man (Steve Martain) discovers the secret relationship between his wife and a friend and gets revenge...but that's not all he gets... And last and most disturbing another 2 man cast about a tycoon who lives in a "germ" free apartment where he plays God by firing everyone. Meanwhile he is being watched...by billions of cockroaches. I actually stopped watching that episode and didn't finish watching it until days later.

This movie is very good. It's cheap looking at times, yes, but can you do better? If so give me a call and we'll talk. The last episode grossed me out and I didn't sleep well that night. Every time I heard a skitter or some small noise I would jump. I highly recommend this movie.