• dtucker8627 April 2002
    what a great show!!!!!
    I laughed my ass off watching this show.!!! David Rasche had a ball spoofing Dirty Harry. This show sort of reminded me of Police Squad. They cancelled it because it was ahead of its time and people were too slow to catch all of the gags in it. Anne Marie Martin was wonderful as Sledge's partner and the chemistry between the two was irresistable. I have so many fond memories of this show and I only wish they would put it back in syndication.
  • David Powell29 March 2003
    A true cult classic....
    Ah, the comedies of the 1980s. The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Night Court. There are shows like those, classics indeed, for their own reasons, and then there is "Sledge Hammer!"

It's just a _bit_ different. Imagine if you will the ability of a show to consistently spoof movies, or whole genres of tv show/film, and consistently nail it dead on in a 30 minute time slot. That's the quality of writing the show had, but the execution is what made it work. The three leads had consistent timing and brutally funny comic delivery. David Rasche, as the lead, was a standout, often getting the most manic material, though Page and Martin made it truly a triple threat. On one of the shows, Martin's character takes on Hammer's personality, and she nails that stuff pretty well.

In short, Hammer is the ultimate send-up of the classic loose cannon police detective. Dirty Harry is a great inspiration, but there are other aspects that work their way in as well. A few of the shows sent up the film noir detective genre. While some have compared it to "Get Smart" or "Police Squad," the thing that amazed me about it was how it reminds me at times of British comedies like "Blackadder" or some of Monty Python's skits. It is great that send-ups this consistently good got on American TV. Especially as there was almost always another, more subtle layer of humor under the more over-the-top gags. The main running current of humor was the sending up (by exaggeration) of the ultra-violent tone the action genre had taken on at the time. Yet underneath the people involved managed to work in genuine warmth, sybtle moments of humor, and genuine emotion across the board.

The show only ran for two seasons, agaist stiff competition (Put in a timeslot for example, against CBS' "Dallas" and NBC's "Miami Vice.") If only there was a better timeslot.. and maybe more budget, though the show did quite well with what they had.

I saw this in it's initial ABC run, then a few years later when a local station in Philadelphia put it on in reruns. Some of it held up very well, especially when classic genres/films were "given tribute." Some of the 80s references date it, but it wasn't bad. In fact, it rocked. Plus I remember seeing the first run as a kid, and the scene with the bazooka in the first show hooked me. Hilarious. In short, although it struggled, it built a pretty strong following among fans, and that is the definition of a cult classic. Websites have sprung up in recent years, allowing fans to chat about this truly unique show. When they put this one together, they really did know what they were doing.
  • sketchyninja5 March 2002
    i give it four bullets
    Brilliant! I loved this show as a kid.One of the few shows that i taped almost every episode. Watching it now i see just how satirical it was. Made fun of everything and the moonlighting jokes were awesome.Classic line " Just remember you're suspect numero uno,Every breath you take, Every move you make, I'll be watching you....That's police talk, now get out of here".

Highly recommended
  • ibanez74714 February 2005
    Definitely a Cult Show Classic!!!!
    Sledge Hammer was a comedy series that was a spoof of Dirty Harry. David Rasche (Sledge Hammer) was a overly violent, over-the-top detective who frequently talked and did everything with his gun. The charm of the show stems from his bone-headed clashes with Captain Trunk and partner Detective Doreau. Also his every attempt to solve problems with guns makes the show absolutely hilarious.

He doesn't like criminals, small children or babies. This NOT for the overly sensitive or politically correct types. This series was no where near the aforementioned attributes. The premise of the show was to show how silly violence could be in solving every problem that could possibly arise. Yes, it trivialized death. Yes, it dealt with guns in light-hearted way. Yes, there were random incidences of unnecessary violence. But that is where the humor is at. If you don't understand that statement, you'll never get this series so just walk away.

Though this series lasted two seasons, I am very pleased that Anchor Bay went ahead and obtain the rights to releasing both seasons on DVD. I've purchased the first one and am very pleased with the results.

There haven't been too many TV shows that have come across in my time that I really enjoyed, but I did enjoy this one. It was different from all of the other stuff that is put on television. There has not been a comedy with this premise and format since Sledge Hammer. I think that says a lot.

10 out of 10
  • patentguy8 April 2003
    The funniest show ever made
    This has got to be the most hilarious show to ever pollute the airwaves. Sledge Hammer (David Rasche) is a man's man, a parodical sexist pig who talks to the .44 magnum he carries in his shoulder-holster and drives around with a rocket-launcher in his trunk, and who presumes all suspects to be scum until proven otherwise. There is not a single constitutional right that he has not flagrantly violated during the unfortunately short life-span of this series. Any cops out there will envy Sledge for doing all the things they would have liked to have done but couldn't. But despite Sledge's propensity for wanton and gratuitous violence and his callous use of weapons of mass destruction, he's more of an Inspector Cluseau than a Dirty Harry. His slapstick bumbling and his misogynist remarks are both counter-balanced by his partner, the intelligent and beautiful Dori Doreau (Anne-Marie Martin), who constantly compensates for Sledge's ineptitude and general lack of diplomacy. Rounding out the comedy trio is Captain Trunk (Harrison Page), Hammer's superior, who is constantly swilling Pepto Bismol to counter the ulcer and high-blood pressure that Hammer's antics are causing him to suffer; a futile gesture, as he is usually driven to screaming "Hammer!" at the top of his lungs in a fit of rage at least several times per episode. Our whole residence used to watch this show all the time back in university, and it had us all in side-splitting stitches (okay, maybe not all of us; the feminists didn't pick up on the fact that his sexist antics were a parody, and would frequently leave the room in disgust, but not before hurling verbal abuse, and sometimes beer bottles, at us ...). This is a classic among cult classics. I've scoured the Internet trying to find episodes of Sledge Hammer! on DVD, but all I've been able to find so far are a few bad-quality, copyright-infringing VHS tapes on e-Bay. Shame, I'd buy the whole series if I could find it in reasonable-quality digital form.
  • Paul-30811 December 2002
    Fun,off the wall show.
    This is a show that still puts many comedies on TV to shame.Constantly funny,obvious dirty digs at Moonlighting,FOX network,and even Sledge's own damage to ABCs ratings.A nice,likeable cast,and over the top villans made it Batman of the 80s.This show needs to be on DVD for the whole world to enjoy.David Rasche was a comedic genious on this show.
  • goggy turk9 June 2000
    A true great
    This is one of the greatest TV comedies that has ever been produced. Episodes like "All Shook Up" (the Elvis impersonators one) and "Hammeroid" (the Robocop spoof) will stay with me forever. Today's comedies can't hold a candle to this. It discovered irony and satire 10 years before the rest of America. "Trust me- I know what I'm doing!" should have been a catchprase for one of Ronald Reagan's campaigns, it summed up the spirit of an age that is no more, like this sublime show...<sob>
  • meltingclock29 December 2000
    Great Underrated Cult Show
    A hidden gem from the eighties. In-jokes seemed to be the rage at ABC around the '86-87 and '87-88 seasons (Moonlighting, Growing Pains etc.) and this was no exception. A cool look, a lot of pop culture riffs, and an original in every way. How many other half hour sitcoms had action and adventure like this but still maintained a comic edge ? I rented four episodes from the video store ten years after the show went off the air and still found it funny. Like Miami Vice, the look of the show was very much of the time. Too bad it was scheduled opposite it on Friday nights.
  • lemmy99923 March 2003
    One of the best comedies every! I want it on DVD!
    I was around 16 when I first saw this show and thought it was the funniest show that I had ever seen. I had liked Police Squad, but this was much better. It poked fun at everything and everyone. Nothing was sacred! I was so upset when it was taken off of the air. Then a few years later I saw it re-run on KTLA (I think...it was around 1991) on the C-band satellite and stupid me didn't record any episodes. I have been hoping for this to come back on the air in syndication or be offered on DVD or VHS for years. I just don't understand why this show is not on DVD yet. I run in to people all of the time that loved this show and all of them ask if I know if it is coming out on DVD.

I also think a Sledge Hammer movie would be a great idea. Police Squad only lasted 6 episodes, but the movies (Naked Gun) did very well. Sledge lasted 2 seasons (probably would have been a bigger hit if it had not been up against one of the most popular comedies ever...the Cosby Show), so imagine how well a Sledge feature film could do.
  • Movie Nuttball3 March 2003
    Great series!
    This series was always funny and action packed and is one of My favorites.In My opinion back in the 80s the decade had some really great series'.I doubt this show is on any more but if it is and you haven't seen it before and are able to watch it then watch it because its a very good and funny series!
  • Gee Harliquin12 January 2015
    A Vastly Underrated Comedy Classic!
    One of the Funniest, most Original and underrated TV comedy series! One of my all time favorites! The combination of Alan Spencer (Creator), David Rasshe (Det. Sledge Hammer), Anne-Marie Martin (Det. Dori Doreau) and Harrison Page (Captain Trunk) creates the perfect team and creates the most Wacky, Insane but Thoughtful Comedy! This show more than deserved a much longer run than it was given! The pilot Episode is most certainly one of the most bizzar, funny and explosive Pilots that has ever graced celluloid! A true work of art! I would love nothing more than to see that same team come back together one last time and make Sledge Hammer! The Movie! The Show, and the many loyal fans, deserves that and it would also give the opportunity to close it off properly! Trust Me! I know what I'm Saying!
  • lauraeileen89429 January 2007
    "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!"
    If you locked the writers of "Dirty Harry" in a room full of typewriters and crystal meth, their results would look more or less like "Sledge Hammer!", a side-splitting spoof of the cop genre. "Sledge Hammer!" debuted in 1986, garnering critical attention but poor ratings (most likely due its bad time slot and that damn laugh track). In one of those "can't make this up" twists, the writers decided to face the inevitable cancellation by having the main character blow himself up in the season finale... only the show itself actually got renewed. Oops. All 41 episodes (now available on DVD) follow Sledge Hammer (played to perfection by comically handsome David Rasche), a sneering, sexist police detective who takes the term "trigger happy" to a whole new, surreal level. Carrying his beloved, ivory handled Magnum .44 the way Paris Hilton carries her chihuahua, Hammer does everything with good old "Gun", from flipping pancakes to sleeping with it. A man who loves violence more than life itself, Hammer finds excuses to shoot, karate chop, or sucker punch someone, anyone who comes within his field of vision. Hammer's two foils are his long suffering boss Chief Trunk (Harrison Page) and Dori Dorough (Anne Marie Martin, better known as the ex-Mrs. Michael Crichton), Hammer's cool, capable, lovely partner who acts as Agent 99 to Hammer's Maxwell Smart. Yet, due to gumption and dumb luck, Hammer cracks every case he's given... while cracking, shattering, and blowing up everything else around him. It may be cheesy and tame by today's standards, but "Sledge Hammer!" remains uproarious entertainment, mostly due to its innocent approach to its story about a cop who's really a menace to society. Rasche emphasizes this approach by playing Hammer in the most straightforward way possible. While it's a shame the series didn't last that long, we can at least pop in our DVDs of "Sledge Hammer!" and remember it as it was: a loopy trip of a show that showed how absurd and hilarious violence could be.
  • igorivanovic6 January 2016
    Trust me I know what I'm writing!
    Best cop parody ever! Hilarious! All you need to know about this if you haven't watched is this: Dirty Harry FUN FUN FUN! Even better than a "Police Squad!"(was hard to done that). USA counterpart of UK's "Only fools and horses" in comedy! Main thing is that script and funny lines are so simple but unmistakably spot on! You could not made it better. David Rasche (aka Sledge Hammer aka Dirty Harry-main character for those who don't know) has destroyed himself with that role-in a BIG positive way! I mean what ever I watched with him after that I was crying of laughter! He was cut and killed in blood in 1986 movie "Cobra" and it was funny! Guy is a genius! Also rest of the crew was near him... Loud cap. Trunk, nice Dori...even a coroner was weird (why not?). To sum it up: show so ahead of it's time (maybe misunderstood in that time and for that so had only two seasons) so modern and way better than something similar even today!
  • movieman_kev1 October 2005
    Trust me I know what I'm recommending
    David Rasche in the role of his career is Sledge Hammer, a Dirty Harry-type cop who always shoots first and ask questions later. OK, well forget the asks questions later part. But he does shoot first. He's partnered with the beautiful Dori Doreau (Anne-Marie Martin) and is a constant bane to his cranktancerous boss, Captain Trunk (Harrison Page) This show was pretty much a staple of my TV watching habits as a kid (or it would've been if my dad didn't choose to watch some other shows whom's names escape me right now LOL. The writing, sight gags, and movie parodies were brilliant and watching them again I find that the show aged better then I thought and became better actually (if that's possible). Each and every one of the 41 episodes is hilarious to me (well just about every one). Name one other comedy show that has the sheer balls to not only blow everyone up in the season finale, but come back next season like nothing happened more or less and not just staying as hilarious, but becoming even funnier!! I encourage Everyone to get BOTH seasons on DVD. It's money VERY well spent. Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

My Series grade: A+

Season 1 Extras: Series introduction & Commentary by Creator Alan Spencer on the pilot, Witless, All Shook Up and The Spa Who Loved Me; the 32 minute "Sledge Hammer: "Go Ahead, Make Me Laugh" documentary; the un-aired 30 minute Pilot with introduction by Spencer; Electronic Press Kit with introduction; Audio message to the critics; Stills & memorabilia Gallery; 5 TV Spots; and TV bumpers

DVD-ROM: the ABC and NBC pilot scripts in .pdf format

Season 2 Extras: Series introduction & Commentary by Creator Alan Spencer on "Wild About Hammer", "Last of the Red Hot Vampires", "Icebreaker" (where he's joined by Actress Anne-Marie Martin), and "Here's to you Mrs. Hammer"; the 13 minute "Gun Crazy: Memorable moments with the cast of Sledge Hammer"; A tribute to Bill Bixby; top 10 questions about Hammer; Syndication promo with intro; Network answering message with intro; 4 TV spots; Trivia game; and Stills & Memorabilia gallery

DVD-ROM: Scripts for "Wild About Hammer" & "Last of the Red Hot Vampires" in .pdf format

Easter Egg: highlight the bullet hole in the Extras menu for Alan Spencer explaining there are no easter Eggs in Season 1
  • Dave from Ottawa26 April 2012
    One of the most original shows of the 80s.
    After a seemingly endless run of abysmal slasher flicks, the popularity of Clint and Ahnold helped make shoot-'em-up action movies the dominant genre of the 80s and this show hit the airwaves in 1986 to send them up along with every other silly thing from the Reagan era.

Inspector Sledge Hammer was a right-wing, gun-happy, anything-for-the- sake-of-justice lawman / thug and his nutty rants were the source for much sharp satire on Reaganist politics, in amongst the movie parody silliness.

Note that the show originally featured a laugh track, at the network's insistence, but that was removed for the DVD release. Series creator Alan Spencer hated it, and felt it was unnecessary. He was right of course. No audience watching this show for ten minutes remained unaware that it was a comedy.

The fun then continued for a second season, as nihilistic Neanderthal action hero Sledge returned for more gun crazy mayhem replete with movie parodies ("Wild About Hammer" is a dead on send-up of Play Misty For Me) and great guest stars (famed Bogart impersonator Robert Sacchi appears in the 1940s detective spoof "Play It Again, Sledge"). Indeed, the second season showed little letup in story ambition or quality compared to the first. Clearly the show's creators had a lot left for the remainder of the show's run.
  • Rob_Taylor15 September 2005
    A show they could never make now......
    So we should be thankful they did it when they had the chance. Today's politically-correct nonsense would have people up in arms about a show that glorified violence and had a "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality.

To be fair, though, Sledgehammer was not that bad. There was no gore and little sleaze on display. David Rasche (hugely underrated actor) gave the role just the right amount of manic-ness that it needed to be funny, but not so much that it became ridiculous. Not that Sledge's antics themselves weren't ridiculous, but you know what I mean...

Much like the later "Brisco County Jr" I avoided this show when it first appeared, convinced by the name alone that it was little more than another cop show. Also like Brisco, I'm glad that I revisited it and found the joy that is Sledgehammer! Doreau (Sledge's side-kick) didn't really get to be much more than the straight-err..man to his lunacy, but there was a great deal of humour to be had from the interaction between the pair, especially the male-female differences of perspective.

All in all, the show was good and deserved the run that it got (2 seasons) and probably more besides. At least, it got the chance to show what it was capable of, unlike a lot of more recent shows that get canned before the first season is done.

Well worth a watch.
  • dmdarbonne3 May 2004
    HAMMER FOR PREZ 2004!! BUSH AND KERRY WOULDN'T STAND A CHANCE
    Oh yes, by far THE BEST comedy/drama to hit the airwaves. Can you imagine Sledge as President? Can you imagine what would of become of Saddam? He sure wouldn't of been hiding in that 6 foot hole, Sledge would of went to Iraq himself and tied up Saddam to the back of his car!!! Can you imagine the lines he would give his beloved .44?

One Car with rope to drag Saddam: $15,000.00 One .44 magnum: $1,000.00(500.00, i guess) One Sledge Hammer for President: PRICELESS!!

I actually went through my vhs collection and found a few episodes I taped. It was around Christmas time, because they showed them after the show around a Christmas tree wishing everyone Happy Holidays.

AAAHHHHH those were the days!!!
  • vtengr404723 March 2003
    One of the best comedies ever made!
    "Sledge Hammer!" was one of the best TV shows of the 80's. The writing was clever and everyone played well off each other. "Sledge" became ultimate parody of the "Dirty Harry" type in a style all its own, especially with the opening sequence ending with "trust me, I know what I'm doing" and the glass getting shot.

It needs to come back in syndication, DVD release, or even a movie. Even my grandfather who did not watch much of anything would definitely make it a point to watch "Sledge Hammer".
  • OlYankee12 July 2007
    80s Send-up Par Excellence!
    Probably the best TV satire of everything 1980s, which is astounding, since it premiered near the middle of the decade. I knew people back then who were Sledge, for real!

Poor Anne-Marie Martin as Dori Doreau: imagine thinking that computers could help you do your work, when all you need is Gun.

David Rasche was perfect as the maniacally serious Sledge.

Harrison Page actually allowed one to identify with a boss who had a report who was, well, impossible. You knew any of Trunk's victories would be short-lived.

The movie/contemporary situation send-ups were all wonderful and many still ring true re current events.

Best line was at the end of Season One:

Trunk: Hammer!
  • haildevilman11 October 2006
    Trigger happy laughs
    Another in the 'don't take us seriously' sweepstakes.

Funny cop story dealing with a trigger happy cop who doesn't feel the punishment was fit until all violence possible was used. Or more if possible.

The show was well written too. Great lines all over the place. Every show got re-quoted at my house back then.

But I sometimes wonder if your NRA types didn't realize it was a comedy. Or hated the fact they were the target of the jokes.

Good work to Mr. Rasche for his brilliant portrayal. And Harry Page and Anne-Marie Martin did great support too.

AND...it's on video in Japan.
  • coolpianodude26 September 2005
    Sledge Hammer Rules!
    Hi Everyone!

I loved Sledge Hammer! It was a MASTERPIECE and it was the most hilarious show that ever aired! The show did even better in Germany and Europe and it is still popular today.

This show NEVER should never have been canceled, but it had fierce competition from Dallas, Miami Vice and Cosby. I feel that the show should have run at least another 8 seasons because it was original, clean, and just down right hysterical!

The chemistry between David Rasche (Sledge Hammer) and Harrison Page (Capt. Trunk) and Anne-Marie Martin (Dori Doreau) was simply ELECTRIFYING! They were practically reading each others minds!

Alan Spencer did an Excellent job on producing and writing this show and it was very up beat and slapstick and kinda "Airplane" humorous at times!

The best part of all is when Sledge has to solve everything with his gun! He is constantly getting into trouble with Capt. Trunk and many others!! Sledge has his own brand of "Charles Bronson" and "Clint Eastwood" vigilante solution to every problem which is; "shoot first and ask questions later."

If you haven't had a chance to purchase Season 1 & 2 of this GREAT police spoof sitcom, DO SO TODAY!!! but I must WARN YOU that once you get it you will be laughing so hard that you won't wanna watch anything else!

Sledge Hammer is planning a Convention in Frankfurt, Germany Nov. 19-22, 2005. Please try to attend it so that a USA Convention and possible Reunion movie can take place.

I Loved Sledge Hammer and I made a tribute site in the shows honor after obtaining permission from the shows producer, Alan Spencer. I am doing my best to write positive reviews to keep the shows memory alive and well where it should be since it was such a superb show!!

So give Sledge Hammer a try I am sure you won't be disappointed!

"Trust Me I Know What I'm Doing"

Sincerely,

Matt Mattero Ministries, Webmaster
  • Julie Hoverson26 July 2005
    Such a relief - DVD....
    I just received my "season two - the final season" set, and am almost afraid to crack the box, since there are at least five episodes I never got a chance to see.... I don't know if I will survive!!!

This show was one of my - nope, forget that, was my ONE AND ONLY ALL TIME FAVORITE sitcom EVER, and (as usual with my favorites), it didn't last. I guess I like stuff that is just too smart for most people.

Sledge Hammer was a smart show. It got a lot smarter after they flushed the laugh tracks (which were left out for the DVDs - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!), but the humor was always there.

The very first episode involved a serial killer taking out Elvis impersonators, and Sledge had to go undercover at the Famous School of Elvis. When asked "do you even know how to do Elvis?" He replies "Of course I can do Elvis - you just move your lips...and shake your hips...and look bloated." Later he impresses the teacher only after he karate kicks him across the room... Just like Elvis woulda done.

My favorite line of all, though, is in the episode Wild About Hammer (a Fatal Attraction type homage), where Doreau (Sledge's much savvier female partner) is looking at a file on a cop who's been murdered and says "He refused to be partnered with a woman. Like you, Sledge, he was a misogynist." And Sledge replies "HEY! Just 'cause I gave a guy a backrub once doesn't make me a massagenist." (READ IT OUT LOUD, IT WILL MAKE SENSE)

I am soooo glad they finally came out with the second season, since it includes some of my favorite episodes, like the one where Sledge gets put on suspension and decides to become a private eye, and starts hallucinating conversations with Bogart, or the one where they investigate a string of dead used-car salesmen and Sledge does a full-on Crocodile Dundee impersonation.

Boo-yah!
  • miss_sugarpuss25 April 2005
    Trust Me!!!
    Terrific 80s TV show. Rasche plays Sledge, a cop who shoots first and asks questions later. He talks to his gun, ignores procedure, and loves violence. But he always knows what he's doing. A hilarious show, that only aired two seasons. Fortunately for us Hammerheads both seasons are now available on DVD, so we can keep enjoying one the best TV shows of all time!

"Now, your stereotypical donut is nothing but dough and sugar fried in fat, am I right? Now that fat gums up your arteries and goes to your brain, and you turn liberal. And the next thing you know, Barry Manilow is on the turn-table and you're not going to work and you're voting for gun control. You see what I'm saying? You see the connection? That's why I eat granola." - Sledge Hammer
  • groovetube3 July 2004
    Most Hilarious Parody Show Of All Time!
    SLEDGEHAMMER! was the most outrageous parody show of all time! It ranks right up there with Family Guy, Married With Children!, and Unhappily Ever After. And it makes Police Squad! seem stupid and slapstick by comparison! It also shares the ranks of best Jazz Score with Police Squad!, for a sitcom. David Rasche was a tongue-in-cheek much tougher over-the-top version of Dirty Harry. His line: Trust Me! I know what I am doing! Will become an immortal quote. His best episode was the one where his partner gets hit on the head and her personality changes. She makes even Sledgehammer, look like a wuss in that one! WOW! And there was the one with Humphrey Bogart as Sam Spade, the >From Russia With Love satire, and the Witness satire. And, for a cliffhanger, you can beat the Season Ender, where Sledgehammer! blows up the city with a Nuclear Bomb by mistake! The show was pure genius and should have gone on forever! Originally only 4 episodes were available on Videotape. Finally the DVDS will be out. Buy them. TRUST ME! I KNOW WHAT I AM SAYING!
  • O2D1 August 2017
    Very funny.
    This show is a great parody of 70's and 80's police movies and TV shows. They manage to include all the staples of the genre. The out of control detective with a gun that's way too big and a silly catch phrase(Trust me, I know what I'm doing), a hot female partner for him and the angry black captain who is always screaming. Plus, most episodes are actually direct parodies of old movies and TV shows. The only thing I didn't like about this series was how they explained the second season. Hammer blew up Los Angeles with a nuclear warhead at the end of season one because they didn't think there would be a second season. Well when season two starts they say that it happened five years before the first season. Maybe it was a joke, if it was it wasn't funny. Not only did Hammer not know Doreau at the beginning of the series, the second season is chock full of pop culture references that didn't exist in 1981. But all that aside, the second season was still great.