• Shaolin Fantastic9 February 2018
    Perfect show that finished when I was born
    I am not sure how I stubbed upon this show since I come from the place called Croatia and here we only get to see the most popular recent tv shows. But I am so happy that my parents have a great taste that brought this show to my attention.

If you are looking for a fast paced show full of twists and scandals then this show is not for you. However if you want to see a show filled with the most interesting characters, slow building plot, amazing monologs and dialogs and of course the most beautiful landscapes, visit the magical show that Northern Exposure really is.

This is one of the show where is hard to pick your favorite character, the show where is hard to understand any character until you finish the whole show, the show that will live you speechless nad fully judgmental over the other shows that own our tv screens today.

If I had to name a tv show that is as rich as a fine book I would say Northern Exposure in a split second!

Give it a shot, its unique, its great, its Norhern Exposure
  • pbk20109 February 2018
    My favorite comedy (and sometimes drama) TV series ever!
    With the possible exception of "The X-files" I love "Northern Exposure" more passionately than any other show ever televised. Northern Exposure takes us back to the show's halcyon days when we got our first taste of Joel and Maggie's quasi-romantic sparring, of Holling and Shelly's May-September love, of Chris's half-brilliant, half-scatterbrained philosophizing, of Maurice's slow burns and Marilyn's unflappable calm. Northern Exposure takes us to its own cozy, quirky little world and envelops us in it...in a a perfect sixty-minute vacation of escapism and humanity. The premise of the show is simple: It's a fish out of water situation for the new family doctor (a recently graduated family physician who also happens to be Jewish and who's idea of roughing it is a stroll through Central Park) who moves to Alaska because the state picked up the tab for his education on the condition that he becomes the family doctor for 5 years up there. He goes through the usual efforts to pry himself loose from the situation but eventually finds himself blending in and accommodating his new lifestyle with the new friends he meets.
  • marbl-110 November 2017
    The best show in the history of TV
    I was 20 when I watched it for the first time. It struck me with it's depth, sense of humor, mysticism. After 20 years I got DVD edition, and could not stop watching. After 110 episodes I put the first DVD to the player again. After the second turn I did it again. And again. It is unbelievable how Cicely became my hometown, how it's inhabitants became my friends. Never before and never later have I felt such a bond with fictional characters.

Of course, I can see very poorly built Maggie/Joel interactions, I can see occasional pretension, some clichés (or rather some things which NOW seem to be cliché, but were original back in 1990), I can see sometimes desperate attempts to tie some loose ends of the screenplay.

But all that doesn't matter because of overwhelming climate of peace, friendship, love, pensiveness, with ingenious, extremely surprising ideas from the edge of poetry, humanity, philosophy and simple life. It is the ONLY show ever that really makes you THINK and feel. The only which gives you as deep experiences. The only which makes me laugh and cry (almost).

The bad thing is, however, that present viewers can not appreciate it. Why? No firearms. No lasers. No rapes. No murderers. No fights. No blood on the walls. No naked chicks. No intestinal gases. No swearing. No sport cars. Ergo, it is boring.

By the way (spoilers): The series were aired 1990-95. In 1994 the "Friends" show launched. If you know both of them well enough you will see that "Friends" are almost "Northern Exposure" remake, but as just simple comedy (with intestinal gases included), of much lower intellectual level. There are hundreds of similarities, not obvious but visible (e.g. one of the friends is ordained and performs marriages (Chris/Joey), Rick/Phoebe's mom after death comes back as a dog/cat, Ruth-Anne cannot learn Italian - Joey cannot learn French, Rick/Ross die by a blimp/satellite, and so on - almost every little detail in Friends is copied from the Northern Exposure if you pay attention).

Anyway, if you are able to think and to feel, if you want to experience something really peaceful and deep - it is a "must see".
  • soporific1 November 2017
    Still one of the very best TV series ever made
    I have just started my 3rd run through of this amazing show and it is still one of the best shows you will ever see. The writing, characters, music, cinematography, direction, i.e. everything is perfect, I simply can't see where they went wrong.

The only gripe I have is directed at Rob Morrow who chose to pursue a movie career instead of sticking with Northern Exposure and season five suffers greatly from it. But still, we got four seasons of the most thought-provoking and emotional roller-coaster riding experiences you will ever see or feel.

Watch it with an open-minded friend, this isn't one to watch by yourself unless you think you can handle it!
  • wedigclassics-773361 September 2017
    Early '90s pseudo intellectual yuppie fantasy... FROM HELL
    I remember seeing the pilot episode air for the first time back in 1990. It started out as the strongest show on TV. The setting and characters were fresh and outside of the box.

In a world before the internet where NOTHING existed on TV but cop shows, sitcoms and soap operas; Northern Exposure was like something from another planet. I think it was the very first network TV show that wasn't completely dumbed down to the level of a 5th grader.

It seemed clear to me that in the first season, the entire thing was still very experimental. I don't believe the writers, actors or anyone else knew exactly what direction they were going to go in or exactly where the show would end up. It started out fresh and exciting to watch.

Some time after the first season, they switched writers or directors or maybe decided EXACTLY where they were going with it... straight to your typical early '90s network drama.

Maybe it was just the time period? This show started at the end of the '80s (1990) and finished in the mid-'90s (1995)... two very different eras.

It got to a point where the entire thing became so contrived, predicable and politically correct, I couldn't stand it anymore. The plot-lines and characters got so ridiculous they could no longer suspend my disbelief. The entire thing I once loved, I now loathed.

When the "new and original" spin started to fade, it just desenegrated into typical network television. The characters ALL started doing things so "completely unpredictable" that it became COMPLETELY PREDICTABLE and totally out of touch with reality. NOBODY in Alaska talks, thinks or acts like anybody in this show... thank God. Shortly into the series, Alaska got completely swapped out with Manhatten. The set didn't change but everything else did.

The character who stood out to me the most was "DJ Chris". He went from an open minded, free thinking, down-to-Earth type, to a self- righteous mouth piece of all things PC. At times I swear he was reading his lines straight out of a '90s Socialogy textbook that he purchased at a community college book store.

All of the characters except for Joel started out as semi backward, small town "country folk". As the show progressed, they all became the pseudo intellectual yuppie know-it-all types you would find in Soho, Grenech Village or Berkley. Simple minded morons with great vocabulary and speaking skills... nothing more.

Looking back at it now, it's simply embarrassing how stereo typical and "canned" the cast was. Joel was your typical "New York Jew Doctor". Maurice was your typical "old rich Republican white guy". Magie was your typical "strong independent woman" and Chris was your typical "Full of BS Hippy Guru"... Rinse and repeat.

Pretentious dialouge and an Alaskan setting really fooled a lot of people into believing there was something original about Northern Exposure... there wasn't. It was basically a slightly less depressing, well worded rehash of "40 something".

Northern Exposure isn't completely useless though. It's a great view into the idealistic, out of touch with reality, fantasy land that the yuppies of the early '90s lived in... and still do.
  • tapio_hietamaki27 March 2017
    A cast of characters you will end up liking very much
    There are TV shows like 'Lost' or 'Breaking Bad' that have a relentlessly advancing plot that forces you to keep watching. Every episode something important happens, some crucial piece of information is revealed, some shocking twist pulls the rug from under your feet, and each episode you're glued to your seat.

Then there's shows like 'Northern Exposure' where nothing ever really happens and you still love it with all your heart.

It's difficult to explain exactly why, but I think the feeling is familiar to everybody. It's how you grow to like the characters - even if you don't actually like them you feel like you know them and you just want to see them again and again. It's not even that you want to know what happens to them - of course you do want to know, but you also know that life in a small town in Canada never really changes. It's more that you simply want to spend time with these characters. They become your friends.

'Northern Exposure' is a world of its own, a setting and a cast of characters that draws you in and before you know what happened you're part of the town and never want to leave.

There's the Jewish bigshot doctor who got cheated and has to stay even though he doesn't really want to. There's the headstrong amateur pilot. There's the old and dumb innkeeper who somehow managed to marry the hottest girl in town. There's the tortured teenager filmmaker. There's the laid-back philosopher radio DJ. There's even the shunned legendary Creature of the Woods who may or may not be Bigfoot.
  • rog doger14 March 2016
    Great way to experience the nineties
    Although many viewers consider NE an eclectic show full of eccentric characters, people who experienced the eighties loved the show becauseit championed character, honesty, and acceptance of the differences among people The show celebrated how Jews, African Americans, Native Americans and people of all opinions were as valued by society and not regarded as weirdos. Remember when "greed (was) good", and Charles Bronson was a hero because he killed anyone who didn't look like Ronald Reagan. In the eighties, social Darwinism and trickle-down economics caused people to look for something more fulfilling than a life dedicated to money and conformity. In the nineties, The show helped me and millions of searchers to believe that being different wasn't just acceptable, it was valued. Maurice the homophobe learned to accept Ron and Eric as valued members of the community. This show, more than anything else, was the cure for the sleaze, hate and vapidity that plagued eighties' society. How else could a little replacement show become the phenomenon it was? The only problem I found with show was the writers' penchant for what I believed to be "ruralizing" the show by offering moose burgers the same way "The Beverly Hillbillies" ate possum and hawk eggs. I was shocked to discover while reading Guy Grieve's book years later that people who lived in the same area as the show's fictitious setting regularly ate moose and other wild meat because transport during the winter was impossible. Great acting. I felt that Corbin, Cullum, Corbet and Geary were made for their parts and were the real core of the show. Morrow and Turner could have been in half of each season's episodes and the rest could have been dedicated to Fleishman's mother who became a bird; Leonard who taught Joel how to connect with patients; Ed who cried (with me) when he met his father and spoke of how fortunate he was to be left with such loving people; Ruth Ann who decried her son's choice to abandon music to become a banker; Chris the seeker, who came to Alaska in search of Whitman and found the loving, supportive family that we all sought. This show never ended for me. I have all six seasons and whenever someone calls this ex- Marine a wimp for crying when I read poetry, or a sucker when I give money to a homeless person, or a wimp when I don't refer to Asians as "gooks", I can watch Maurice as he learns that he has a Korean son, or Chris when he gave me the idea to write a paper on the Hegelian Dialectic. This show has heart. Thank you to everyone involved for this gift.
  • gmppp5 February 2016
    Forever MIss This Show
    The sixth Season started showing it's cracks, though the episode that sees Joel Fleischman off was brilliant and touching, but I've seen all six seasons a half dozen times and never got bored with it. You wish you were a part of this group of characters. Ruth Anne, Ed, Chris, and my favorite, Adam, what can I say? Weird, insightful, strange, off the wall but it works and well I still wish it hadn't ended. Like Cheers, I felt, there was no reason to conclude the show from without; 11 seasons of barroom bs? How's that even possible if it wasn't for the writing. 6 Seasons of small-town bs in Cicily Alaska you'd think would offer less, but it was a first rate show with first-rate writing.

If ever there were a handful of shows I think would still be relevant today, it would be Northern Exposure, Cheers and Seinfeld. Personal ambitions of the actors and producers aside, you don't want it to end, and that's how you feel after Season Six; wanting more. Go visit on DVD, you won't want to go back to civilization after visiting Cicily, AK.

Note: On a road trip through Washington State, I stopped at Rosylyn, and I was caught by surprise the emotions. It was as real a thing, as to come back home again, not knowing what that is personally.
  • Christian Pompei the 3rd12 January 2015
    Fantastic journey with an awful ending
    For a 90's TV show you can't get more humor, drama, romance and mystery than in Northern Exposure. Pittoresque characters like Holling intertwine with street philosophers (Chris) and arrogant entrepreneurs as Maurice. The "cat and mice like" romance is taken care by Joel and Maggie and local culture is also represented by Marylin. But my favorite character is by far Adam, the most sarcastic and ironic nutcase in TV history. I could call this show 40% fantasy. It has the scenery and script of a fairy tail sometimes with all the day- dreaming and cinematographic metaphors embedded in it. You get from the beginning that the writers don't want a stereotypic and cliché ending but "oh my god" we are in for a surprise. And not a fun one. Joel not ending up with Maggie is the biggest disappointment. The second one is the fantasy ending of Joel's character. A too big of a metaphor for this kind of show. One thing I liked: the postcard received by Maggie with the message: "New York is a state of mind". That reveal all the answers to our questions: "Did Joel really returned to NY or his is still in deep wild landscape of Alaska?". That postcard was the "great finale", the song of the swan for this show, the epic ending of a fantastic character that finally discovered that leaving NY for Alaska was a spiritual journey that will mature and educate his soul. After that episode "The Quest", you can say goodbye to NE. If before we still hoped a future for Joel and Maggie, now everything is shattered into pieces and all the life of the show is diminished, the humor drops, the characters seam out of balance, the drama ceases to exist and joining Maggie with Chris is absolutely pathetic: the two don't click, Chris's energy and charm are killed; Maggie is to peaceful and it does not suit her. From my point of view the ending was sad. On the other hand, the song in the end was terrific - Iris Dement, Our town.
  • jongab3316 April 2014
    A Series in Transition About Transition
    This series began in a time of transition for television and the movie industry. It's writing and flavor reflected a nation of viewer's that we're changing and whose expectations we're changing. It often used current events to prompt an exaggerated storyline that not only gave the show its flavor, but also some it's characters.

The folksy, small-town delivery of the often dry humor by the actors, gave the show one of its most unique traits. One that would be copied and used by other series in the 1990's.

It should have been written as a 5 year series. As a nation began to crawl out of it's urban shell and expand its viewing and entertainment pleasure, this series reflected it to the proverbial 'T'. Always going to the extreme with it's delivery to make a point. As the series progressed, it would add cast and lose cast in transition with its needs. Although it ended in a bit of a rush, it left us with a warm, gentle good-bye and memories of bizarre events and how to keep our humor.
  • SnoopyStyle8 September 2013
    Fun show but Rob Morrow left a hole
    Dr. Joel Fleischman (Rob Morrow) graduates from medical school expecting to fulfill his scholarship obligations in Anchorage. Instead, ex-NASA astronaut and town big wig Maurice J. Minnifield (Barry Corbin) forces him to be the new doctor in the remote small town of Cicely, Alaska for three years. It is an eccentric town filled with eccentric characters. Maggie O'Connell (Janine Turner) is the beautiful pilot. Holling Vincoeur (John Cullum) runs the diner with his child-bride Shelly Marie Tambo (Cynthia Geary). Marilyn Whirlwind (Elaine Miles) is his quiet assistant and Ed Chigliak (Darren E. Burrows) is the film-geek sidekick. Chris Stevens (John Corbett) is the philosophical radio DJ.

It was in the dead of winter out in the cold backwaters of Manitoba as a bunch of us mostly college kids on a 3 month job stint sitting around watching Northern Exposure. For some reason, it was fitting. And it was the first time I saw a trebuchet. This has a fun cast with Fleischman as the fish out of water character. It could have gone much longer, but Rob Morrow often disappeared in the later years. It wasn't the same show without him.
  • SanteeFats18 April 2013
    So-so
    I loved the first three seasons. The reason I gave it a five overall was because of the last three seasons.Great humor, the sexual tension between Maggie O'Connell and Joel Fleischman is hilarious, and the overall writing was excellent. I would give the first three seasons a 9+. After season three things started going down hill. I started to detest John Corbett's character Chris some where in season two, his pseudo intellectual, smarmy, spaced out deliveries especially those on air sucked. Morris Minifield is a bigoted, nouveau riche, I am better than everyone and if not I can buy him or run them out of town. As the show went on he got worse. Ed is just strange. I liked Ruth Ann, Holling, and Walt when he showed up in the show. The romance between he and Ruth Ann was one of the high lights of the last couple of seasons. Fleischman going totally native at the end was stupid in my opinion. Season six really went downhill, O'Connell becoming mayor, the new doctor and his wife, and all the rest had lost any humor or effective interaction. I really regret the diminished writing and there for the acting that bombed with a lot of the characters.
  • Katerina Robertovla1 February 2013
    Overrated
    Don't believe the hype. This show is overrated. I could only watch a few episodes. What turned me off the most was the constant bickering between Maggie O'Connell and Dr. Fleischman. Why didn't they make a show about people from Alaska? I would love to have seen that show. Why did they have to put this whining Dr. Fleischman next to all these (mostly) content townspeople? You don't need a spoiled New Yorker to make the show interesting. Maybe Maggie would have been more appealing if that kvetch the doctor was out of the picture. The characters I would have enjoyed seeing more of were Ed. What a terrific actor. What hair that guy had. I also enjoyed the radio announcer, Chris. He was believable and had a terrific voice. Marilyn's character was delightful also. See? Would these characters make a great TV show? Maybe after all these years they'll do a real character-driven show in Alaska. And, maybe they should do a sitcom with Dr. Fleischman as a stand up comedian.
  • toberwino31 December 2010
    A big disappointment
    I had never seen this series when I saw the DVD of season 1 on offer. I checked IMDb and saw it had an 8+ rating and was listed as Comedy/Drama so I purchased it. I have watched the full DVD and don't think I laughed once - comedy? Someone is joking. It is a corny, predictable, third rate drama. Some of the characters are really weak and unbelievable - for example, Maurice the astronaut? It must have been part of the program to send chimps into space. The best part of the series is the occasional glimpse of Alaskan scenery. I would suggest you avoid this unless you are really bored and have watched all the other DVDs in your collection.
  • beauryker-623-4661612 December 2010
    I miss Maggie............
    I tried watching this show when it first aired on CBS (I think). I couldn't get through one episode. Of course, I was young and busy with a short attention span. Anyway, I caught a rerun on my c-band satellite wild feed a couple of years after it left the air. To my amazement, I was obsessed! I couldn't believe what I was missing all of those years. I taped every episode on VHS, and every night when going to bed, I would put in a tape. I couldn't get enough of this show. The writing was intelligent, the actors were terrific, and the setting was magnificent. You cared about every single actor on the show, and what their day to day lives involved. There were no villains or bad guys to hate. It made you think. As others have stated before, I've often imagined living in Cicily with these people. I was in love with Maggie! She was the perfect woman. When Joel left the last year, it was still a good show, but I felt like my best friend had died. At this point, the other actors started to change to me, started to normalize to an extent. Kinda took the wind out of the show. I've often asked myself, which one could have left and not made the show less inspiring............and I couldn't think of one. They all fit together perfectly. In a way, I'm glad I didn't get into it when it was on the air. I would have gone nuts waiting a week for the next episode. Now, I can sit down in my recliner, and watch the whole series in one take. Favorite episode.......would have to be when Maggie's house burns down, and Chris wants to "fling" a cow. Maggie looks so cute in the clothes the townspeople gave her! LOL! And no, there will never be another TV show like NX.
  • Erdem Hebele1 October 2010
    Highly recommended for anyone
    I have begun to watch Northern Exposure two years ago and finally, I have watched all episodes. And at the end, I hoped there would be another season, and another and another. I wanted it not to end. But it ended.

Imagine that you are away from home, from your family, from ones you loved and imagine that also you watch Northern Exposure. I can assure you that you will feel at home. You will breath home, you will breath a place called Cicely in your lungs.

So, I watched this terrific show not so long ago, I might be "under influence" of it. But none of the shows I watched on TV or maybe silver screen was not even close to Northern Exposure. Because this show is not led by writers, it is led by its characters. In every episode, writers put something to the middle of the town, and we watch reaction of every character. Characters are built so realistically and humanly, you may think that they are not fictional at all. Actually, I think they are not fictional. They are us. They are so human. They react as ordinary people react, this is the feature that makes Northern Exposure the best thing on TV: There is nothing supernatural, there is nothing extraordinary, everything in this show is so human.

I want to tell more about Northern Exposure but it would spoil everything, so I shut my mouth or pull my hands from keyboard. I recommend to all of the people to watch Northern Exposure, especially when they feel lonely.
  • gazzo-216 May 2010
    It holds up rather well.
    Literate, quirky, endearing, filled to the brim w/ 'magical realism'. An artifact from the early '90's. All of those things are true.

I got the 3rd season DVD, and a few things I noticed after watching this series for the first time in a decade or so: *The DVD doesn't have the top 40 hits that were on the series at the time. Royalties snafu. You get a cheaper DVD this way I suppose. But you do lose something.

*It's right before we became swamped w/ cell phones and the Internet. The lack of both are very obvious. I think it's a welcome quality, too.

*The characters are great-Ed, Maggie, the Doc, the DJ, Maurice, Ruth-Anne, Marion, even Adam. You don't run into such a unique variety of people on series TV much, and as well-written, too.

*Joel gets on your nerves easily, sometimes it's like he's perennially new, always the Noo Yoiker outta his element. It did get contrived after awhile.

*I never honestly bought Cynthia Geary falling for Holling, just because. The age-gap etc was too much. But that's okay both are decent performers and it works. Kind of.

*The show could have ran longer.

*It's rewarding and not afraid of wearing its heart on its sleeve. It holds up and I recommend watching it to anyone who is interested.

**** outta ****
  • scotmanart15 January 2010
    Northern Ex Fine Wine & Karma
    Before The Miami Herald was eviscerated & dumbed down it produced Tropic Magazine &got lots of awards. In 1 of the last Tropic issues was the story of Northern Ex's creator. He created it, had the whole treatment ripped off by a Godzilla Hollywood house, took them to court & won. He & his mom were holocaust survivors who came to South Beath & lived in a 1 bedroom &he became a millionaire writer, a David who slew a Goliath. South Beach was a Yiddish survivor ghetto when I was a kid thru the 60s.

Addn'l: Chris in the Morning book collection of his zazen impromptus is fun & remaindered for a buck$ or 2/Amazon,etc. He says he was JUST an actor & had no interest in what the writers stuck in his dialogue. Now that IS funny zen...
  • mw156130 November 2009
    quirky and original
    I have only begun to watch this show recently, as a local PBS station has been showing reruns of it. The good news is that because it is on PBS, I get to see it without commercial breaks.

The show is original and quirky and, as a result, interesting. This is not your standard run-of-the-mill show with cardboard characters and stereotypical plots. That in itself is a great achievement. While I am not enthralled with the show, as some people are, I respect it for its originality and I do enjoy watching it.

It is both a serious comedy and a light-hearted drama. The show made more of an attempt at striving for a higher common ground than most shows, and that is about as high a compliment as I can give any show. I would recommend Northern Exposure to anyone who is tired of the standard, typical show that permeates mainstream TV.
  • dwissba7 August 2009
    True TV Original
    I wish Rob Morrow would have stayed on this show as Dr. Joel Fleischman cause it could have gone another 3 maybe 4 seasons. Maybe he got a little greedy and wanted more money. In any case this was the best TV show in years with some of the most memorable characters and moments. The writing was top notch and smart. Alaska was the best location they could have used for a man so used to the big city of New York and stocking it with quirky personalities like an astronaut, an old store clerk, a want-a-be film maker, an old bar owner and his young wife, a married gay couple and lets not forget Chris the DJ. They all just meshed together so well with Joel being the outsider in a sense trying to adjust to a small Alaska town where nothing happens.

I can't understand why we don't see more of these types of shows on TV anymore. It seems like every Fall TV season the new programs are either about cops or lawyers. There is no original programs anymore and I am getting sick of cop shows. Northern Exposure was a true original and classic and we need more like it...
  • jkd15-126 July 2008
    An aged and boring once cutting edge hour show.
    I used to watch this with some frequency. Unfortunately, time has not helped this once great program.

This show has gone into a time warp and reappeared 20 years later without the same punch it once had.

I find it now to be slow moving and not very engrossing as it once was.

I think the evolution of TV shows and their quick scene changes and edge of seat action has ruined this show.

I was somewhat bored watching and found myself drifting off into doing other things while it played in the background and then eventually turned it off without finishing.

Maybe it was the episode I was watching. The one where the doctor got a dear john letter. Lots of dream and imaginative scenes that left me snoring.

Chris's narrative and psycho babble seemed corny and assumptive to me 20 years later.

Maybe I need another 20 years and then give it another view.
  • wlb22 July 2008
    Lighthearted humor with serious topics
    I have just watched an episode on DVD for the first time since the series left the network. It reminded me why I liked the series so much - they had some serious topics presented in such a way to be funny - yet informative.

And talk about characters! One poster couldn't stand Rob Morrow - I don't understand that - each character was a bit eccentric yet contributes so much to the series - I would say that like the strength of Seinfeld combining all these characters brought a synergy and power to the series.

The episode I just watched - Rob Morrow's character is lamenting the fact that there are so few Jews where he lives - feeling like he was alone. In the same episode Ed Chugliak is filming another character "last of his breed" - an Indian knowing how to make flutes passed down from generation to generation - now the last. And finally Holling Vincouer is contemplating death with a mid life crisis - It was brilliant writing dealing with serious subjects in a humorous and lighthearted way. Too bad there aren't more shows of this caliber.
  • jodicrbirkholm11 February 2008
    For R W
    RW, My advice to you is to just keep watching! Your take on the initial few episodes is actually dead-on! I agree with you wholeheartedly, but give it a chance! It's undeniably the best fictitious TV show ever created, IMHO! Joel's character IS awfully annoying, as is most of the cast for the first handful of episodes. Give the cast a bit of a chance to warm up and develop. They seem flat and pointlessly quirky at first, but then the writing just blossoms, grows, and expands into something never matched, before or since, in broadcasting history.

Man, I'd kill to be 25 and watching this show for the first time. Savor it, my friend. Watch more and you'll see what I mean. I guarantee it!
  • tha_jersey_devil3 November 2007
    the last of the great series
    god, i miss that show. being native, it made me feel all homey and warm the way the natives and the whites melded together to create a "whole".

it was well written and the story line was such that it took intelligence to follow the plot.

there will never be another northern exposure. it broke the mold.

each character drew you into the plot.

little dramas and life happenings kept it interesting. it got bad at the end, but death isn't pretty.

i guess the writers just burned out.

i wish it was in syndication.
  • didi-519 October 2007
    wonderful off-the-wall series, always surprising
    Happy memories of this show have led me to rediscover it on DVD, two decades after its original broadcast in the UK, and it still sparkles. Joel Fleishman, a stuck-up and obnoxious New York doctor, makes it good and finds humanity amongst the good and odd people of Cicely, Alaska.

From the views of the breathtaking outdoors to the stories behind the town mayor, the bartender and his child bride, the shop-owner, the Indians, and the DJ, this series was a winner right from the pilot.

Always surprising, sometimes funny, sometimes a tug at the heart, but never boring, 'Northern Exposure' deserves to be found and viewed by a new generation, if only for that funky theme tune and the weird soundtrack which grew from Ed and Chris and their fondness for the unusual in music.