• PIN1988SP24 July 2003
    SWEETWATER RULES,AMY JO ROCKS
    This is one of my all-time favorite movies.

I`m a huge AMY JO fan,as well as a huge SWEETWATER fan.

I could not believe when AMY JO had been chosen to play NANSI NEVINS. It was great to see her sing such songs as MOTHERLESS CHILD,IN A RAINBOW,WHAT`S WRONG? and TWO WORLDS.

For those who don`t know,AMY JO`s also a singer. She`s released an album called THE TRANS-AMERICAN TREATMENT,which is amazing.
  • ds7929 August 1999
    Brought back memories of songs not heard for 30 years
    The general theme of the movie was good. It was overplayed in some portions, but what I really enjoyed was hearing songs from their first album. It was sad to see how so many people were effected by one tragic event. Amy Jo did a great job of playing Nancy and her voice was great.
  • Piglet2718 August 1999
    A 'Behind the Music' Movie
    I just finished watching this TV movie & couldn't believe that people hadn't already began to comment about it. I loved it, personally. Amy Jo Johnson shows she's more than Julie (of "Felicity"), giving a wonderful performance. I have to admit, the working in of the reporter's storyline seemed a little inappropriate. They barely touched it, but tried to make it seem like a big thing. All in all, this was really good, I thought.
  • amyontheend16 August 1999
    Pretty Good
    Normally, I don't watch the movies on VH1, but this one caught my eye. I didn't know much about Sweetwater, and the story interested me. I don't have to blab how good it was or flaws or anything, but all in all it was entertaining. Amy Jo Johnson did a great job making her character, Nancy believable. If you have the chance to see it before VH1 stops playing it, I suggest you watch it. For me, at least, it was worth my viewing time.
  • Bufychic16 August 1999
    Since the Power Rangers I have been an Amy Jo Johnson fan! Since then she has seemed to gain more and more success.
    Nansi was cheated from her dream. When her band became "it" tragedy struck. She continued to fight to keep in the buisness. Because she was "a singer [she] played for half a million people and 20 times that much on TV." It really was a good movie, whether you are into the 60's thing or not.
  • Hermit C-216 August 1999
    An interesting story (but it's still a TV-movie.)
    I was intrigued when I heard that the music channel VH-1 had chosen the band Sweetwater as the subject for its first original movie production. After all, a band which didn't even get their 15 minutes of fame and who 99% of the potential viewers never even heard of wasn't exactly what one would have guessed would be their first project. As it turns out, there was a story worth telling about the rise and fall of this band who never got anywhere near the top, but did hit rock bottom.

Lest anyone doubt it, Sweetwater actually did create quite a buzz for a brief time with their exciting live appearances, especially at the large rock festivals in the summer of 1969. However, their first album release failed to capture that live energy and the multi-ethnic band with the flutist and cellist quickly dropped from view. What most fans never knew was that Nansi Nevins, the lead singer of this 7-piece group with a Caribbean/Latin jazz flavor, was in a serious auto accident not that long after their Woodstock appearance, an accident which greatly diminished her singing voice. The band struggled on for a while, but without her identity and visual focus as well as vocal talent they had no future.

Nevins' story is the focus of the movie and she hits the skids after her accident in true rock star fashion, but she is redeemed eventually. Amy Jo Johnson plays her and does her own singing. As a co-star on 'Felicity' she sometimes gets the chance to sing as well, but those are usually quiet introspective songs and she probably relished the chance to belt out a few tunes for this film.

The problem, though, is that this is a TV-movie, and almost by definition that means a more bland, homogenized product than a theatrical release. The compelling true story helps ameliorate this built-in shortcoming and, all things considered, it was a decent flick.

In a newspaper review of this film there was the suggestion that the backers of this movie had some sort of financial interest in promoting the recently reformed Sweetwater's comeback and that this movie was part of that effort. I don't know if the same sort of standards we apply to politicians and such apply here, but it is a potentially sticky situation. On the other hand, one could hardly think of a less lucrative moneymaking vehicle than this band, based on their past track record. I am grateful that someone took a chance on this rather arcane subject matter; we could use more of that from television. On balance, I'm glad they made 'Sweetwater,' the movie.
  • BruceC16 August 1999
    Not too bad, for a TV-movie...
    Usually, made-for-TV movies turn out to be simply filler, without much substance. Not so in the case of Sweetwater, a film about the first group to perform at Woodstock, and then never heard from since. Amy Jo Johnson turns in a very impressive performance as Nansi, the band's lead singer, who suffers an agonizing blow to her career after a near-fatal car accident which scarred her vocal chords. The movie shows the height of her fame (Woodstock), and then the tragic crash and burn of a singer who refused to give up her life as a singer, until she almost lost her life to booze and destitution. The movie was pretty powerful emotionally, and VH-1 did a great job by following up the movie with a "behind the scenes" look at the real performers of the group, in a "where are they now" kind of format. The one thing I would've liked to see in the movie would have been a showcase of more of Sweetwater's songs. Unfortunately, the predominant song throughout the movie was "Motherless Child", which started to get on my nerves by the time the movie ended. But, all in all, a decent movie - one that VH-1 should be proud of.
  • Ace-3811 September 1999
    Good rookie effort from VH-1
    While I was born about 2 years too late to have even been alive during Woodstock, this TV movie about the first band to play this legendary festival was informative and did an excellent job of telling this story.

The story's primary focus is on Nansi Nevens...a young girl with a golden voice who fronts an unknown rock band and takes them straight to the top, only to fall prey to the demons of fame. Amy Jo Johnson (who has been primarly known as the Pink Ranger to this point) does a stellar job as young Nansi, and delivers surprisingly good vocals on the Sweetwater songs (yes, she sang, check the credits)

The story is believeable, and focuses on a typical American trait..."whatever happened to......." Good turns from Michelle Phillips as present day Nansi (perhaps exorcising a few 60's demons of her own??) and the rest of the cast add to the enjoyability of this movie.

This was VH-1's first shot at making movies, and based on this movie I will likely watch any others that are made. A good addition to their "Behind the Music" series, as you learn much about the characters and the history of the first band to play Woodstock
  • explorer-321 August 1999
    great for every one !
    i especially loved the historical content as well as the actors and actresses amy joe johnson is a real tribute to her art shes a one of a kind among actors and actresses alike in general i,d have to say great going guys it,s a real rarity among movies these days a tribute to our musical heritage etc.
  • Angel-20619 August 1999
    STUNNING
    When I first heard of this movie coming on VH1 my instinct was ok it look OK...well the thing that made me want to watch was that i'm a big fan of Amy Jo Johnson...i thought why not...So i taped it because I was going to be out that night...the next day i sat down to watch it...I was taken aback...the music was great and the story was heartwrenching...to think that a band as cool, great and completely ahead of their time could be completely demolished because of one tragic accident...the acting was great and the story was told with dignity and grace about the tragic rise and fall of this great band...After this movie i've seached the internet for sites on Sweetwater and for Albums that i could purchase or bid on...so far i haven't found much...but i always have the movie to remind me of this legendary band.