User Reviews (237)

• pied21 October 2001
    Who Will Rule the World? Cats or Dogs............
    Why can't people just let a movie be cute instead of analyzing it to death. Sure the plot is a bit much--cats are trying to prevent a Mr. Brody from inventing a vaccine which will cure dog allergies--thus making dogs more popular than cats. With a "Mission Impossible" format dogs and cats battle each other for domination of the world.

The plots gets carried away with itself toward the end, but who cares?

The dog and cat agents are all good (their voices, excuse me). Especially, good is the voice of the persian cat, Mr. Twiggles, whose owner is bedridden. The housekeeper/nurse makes Mr. Twiggles' life a horror by continually dressing him in feminine outfits which he hates.

Another favorite is Lou, the beagle puppy who is adopted by the Brody family and is drafted as a secret agent in the war against cats.

I gave this movie 8 stars.
  • ccthemovieman-19 April 2007
    Clever, Likable Kids Movie
    This was a pretty clever film mixing live characters and human voices for the dogs and cats. The dubbing is extremely well-done, and so is the humor. It's a funny story, although it displays the typical whacked-out father, which is another political correctness feminist agenda (mother = good; father = bad). Other than that, it is a very entertaining film even with a bunch of silliness.

Check the cast out. How often to you see Susan Sarandon and Charleton Heston in the same movie. Now THERE is diversity, even if it's only their voices!

People here complain the film is too much for kids, and not adults. Well, isn't that terrible? Imagine the nerve of these filmmakers, doing something just for children!
  • bob the moo4 January 2002
    Good for kids but fails to have any adult comedy
    Scientist Brody is working on a formula that will wipe out dog allergies, thus making dogs the most popular pets on earth. When the dog agent protecting the house is kidnapped he is accidentally replaced by an untrained puppy Lou. Lou is trained up with the help of Butch, Peeps, Ivy and Sam. However with Mr Tinkles chasing the formula and Lou growing near to his family - can the formula be protected?

This had great potential - a good plot, a really strong cast and a good opportunity for children and adult jokes alike. The plot delivers what it has - a little silly but quite clever in places - but the comedy is seriously lacking for adults. For children there are some fart jokes and plenty of cat and dog slapstick but there are almost no jokes for adults that other films such as Shrek and Toy Story had in spades.

Given the cast this is very surprising - Jon Lovitz is a great voice but is hardly used at all, the character of Mr Tinkles could have been a great Dr Evil character, but even he is wasted. This is a great shame as all good children's films need to have something for adults to enjoy again. The great cast (Maguire, Baldwin, Clarke Duncan, Sarandon, Pantoliano, Charlton Heston, Lovitz) is a good draw for adults but having almost nothing to deliver for them is a big disappointment. The only funny scenes are the ninja cats and a handful of others but mostly it's wasted. The human actors are bland - Goldblum playing a scatty scientist? Surely not! That'll really push his barriers.

Overall a disappointing film that'll please children but needed a lot more work to keep adults entertained.
  • crazy4beagles1 September 2002
    Worth seeing!
    I loved this movie, from the diverse animal characters, to their human counterparts, to the amazingly funny dialogue! I've seen it about 10 times, and it's still one of my favorite movies! (and I'm no spring chicken...I'm in my 50's) Some animal movies aren't worth seeing more than once or twice, but this one is worth seeing many times! It won't go down in history as a classic, but it certainly puts you in a good mood and keeps you there!

I love dogs, especially beagles, and the one in this movie ("Lou") is just adorable! Tobey Maguire is the perfect voice for him, and Sean Hayes is hysterically funny as Mr. Tinkles' voice! The writers should have gotten several awards for the script! Jeff Goldblum is always good, so it's no surprise that his character, Professor Brody, suits him to a tee. Everyone plays off each other very well, and the storyline is original and appealing. I love the fact that Charlton Heston plays the voice of the mastiff at Headquarters! Very well cast!

I hope they do a sequel, with all the original actors & voices! Oh yeah, did I mention how great Susan Sarandon was, as "Ivy" ???

Bravo to all these actors, and to the director, the writers, and the producer!
  • TheLittleSongbird12 December 2009
    Not as bad as I was led to believe
    Cats and Dogs was a pretty entertaining film. I will admit it I think kids will enjoy it more than adults, but it is fun. It has a silly but clever plot, a commendable voice cast and some decent acting in the human cast. While there are some funny moments, there are some parts in the middle half that are lacking slightly in comedy, and the script is a tad weak in parts. Despite the film's short length, it goes along at a swift pace, and the characters are at least likable. I have to say Lou(voiced with earnest conviction by Tobey Maguire) is adorable for a dog, and while you certainly don't want to mess with villainous feline Mr Tinkles (Sean Hayes seems to having a whale of a time here), though he is cute to look at. I have to say I think the best lines came from Mr Tinkles, they were often hysterical. As I said, the voice cast do a commendable job with the material they are given, and Jeff Goldblum and Elizabeth Perkins turn in decent human performances as well. The technical aspects are very well done indeed, and the music is good. Laurence Guterman does well directing, better than he did in the dreadful Son of the Mask four years later. All in all, not perfect, but it is cute and has a great concept. Kids will love it, adults might. 7/10 Bethany Cox
  • general-melchett19 February 2007
    It's good for the kids - that's all that matters...
    I personally thought Cats and Dogs was really good. The espionage war between the cats and the dogs was an inspired, if not so original idea, and the fight scenes were hugely amusing - the ninja cats had me in stitches, to say the least. The way Mr. Tinkles suddenly finds a way to make his plan succeed is a little rushed - how did the fainting of his owner suddenly change everything? There are several plot holes in this film, and a little more explanation wouldn't have done harm. But this film didn't try to be intelligent or gripping - it's basically the Cold War with pets for most of the film, but with a climactic finish in which everything is suddenly resolved and all the baddies are ruined. Even if it is not a corkingly intelligent piece of cinema, it sure is an amusing one, and it isn't badly done either. In fact, the climactic finish is brilliantly done and very amusing - machine guns are replaced by spraying machines, and bombs are replaced by spraying machines too (you'll see what I mean). It stays funny throughout, and it is amusing to see how all of the espionage happens behind all the humans' backs. Even if it does make human beings out to be a bunch of idiots who could quite easily be invaded by animals, this is still a great film which will tickle anyone's funnybone (unless you're a cruel, heartless critic of course...) 7/10
  • Jessica Carvalho13 November 2005
    The eternal fight between cats and dogs
    This movie is so cute! It's all about the eternal fight between cats and dogs. (And it's funny to notice that cats are always the bad ones) We have famous actors as Jeff Goldblum as Professor Brody and Elizabeth Perkins as Mrs. Brody. The famous voices are from Tobey Maguire as Lou,Alec Baldwin as Butch and Susan Sarandon as Ivy,only to mention a few. The story is kind of simple: Professor Brody is trying to find a formula to cure the people's allergies to dogs, being himself one example of an allergic person to them. The cats of course, are worried about this,because the cure of the allergy would make dogs even more popular among humans,making the cats rejected. The story turns around Lou and his dog spy friends,who needs to protect the formula and also save Lou's owners of the evil cats. Ps: The dogs have a high tech technnology to cause all the humans jealous. ps2:Ivy,rules. ps3:Mr.tinckles is hilarious.
  • Movie-125 January 2002
    Great special effects and energy, but a less-than-great story. ** (out of four)
    CATS & DOGS / (2001) ** (out of four)

In "Cats & Dogs" you get a cat and mouse chase movie, except the dog replaces the mouse, and the feline's goal is not just to catch the opponent, but to claim world domination.

That's a pretty weak concept for a bid-budget, special effects action film, especially when the production features the best technology has to offer. The movie uses more than 800 visual effects, and 200 animators, designers, compositors, sculptors, and technicians. With so much going for it, "Cats & Dogs" should have utilized these tools to bring a great story to life. It does breathe life into a plot filled with energy and gusto, but it sure isn't great.

Unbeknownst to humans, cats and dogs have always fought for world domination. A power-hungry Persian cat, Mr. Tinkles (wonderfully voiced by Sean Hayes), has broken a truce between the species. He plans to lead an attack against man's best friend.

Jeff Goldblum stars as Professor Brody, a scientist allergic to dogs. He conducts experiments in the basement of his house, hoping to invent a cure for man's allergic reaction to dogs. Mr. Tinkles designates the Brody home as ground zero for his global battle plan.

Initially, the folks at Warner Bros. considered doing the film as an animated feature, but they finally decided on a combination of live action, cutting-edge technology, complicated puppetry, and computer animation.

The results are splendid. Each animal has their own vivid personality, complete with facial expressions and physical gestures. The special effects do not overwhelm the film. Lawrence Guterman, the film's director, doesn't exploit the amazing special effects, but focuses on creating believable animal characters.

Sadly, however, the sight of a talking cat eventually wears off, and that leaves "Cats & Dogs" with little interest. It might entertain children with high energy action and talking animals, but a movie cannot run on those things alone. Perhaps the film could have worked as a comedy, but it lacks any form of wit or impulse. "Cats & Dogs" thinks its concepts are funny and entertaining enough, which is probably why it puts so little thought into the story.
  • Sara-4510 July 2001
    Don't waste your money (or 2 hours of your life)
    At three times during this movie I seriously considered walking out (which I have never done). Why did I stay? I guess I hoped it would take a turn for the better. Needless to say, it didn't... it only got worse.

I think the reason I hated this movie so much is that I wanted it to be something else. I wanted an original take on this ancient rivalry, instead of the standard "cats bad, dogs good". (Forget an original story, I just wanted a marginally good one.) I wanted the animals to be real characters, treated with respect and earning our emotional reactions, instead of being used as props - hurt, tossed around, put into scary situations - to manipulate our emotions.

That it's a "kid's movie" is no excuse. What an insult! Kids don't deserve quality entertainment? Movies have to be dumbed down for the kid audience??

If you can handle watching a disturbing, strange, disconnected family (and not in a good/funny way), a squirmingly bad kid actor, some very ugly cats, sloppy editing, and as many cliches as you could ever want, then go see this movie. There are one or two clever moments, and some of the people around me did seem to enjoy it. But make sure you catch it on dollar night.
  • Cinema_Fan9 May 2007
    Feline fun and canine capers that guarantees to lick your funny bone.
    In the town of comic book land there is a home that lives the lonely young boy without a friend. Until one day Lou the Beagle puppy arrives on the scene.

Set around the game of espionage, with similar themes to Mission: Impossible, James Bond and to a great extent Austin Powers; Cats and Dogs animates the spy game with great bravado and even greater humour. This is a stylish and extremely witty parody that has the cat world fighting for world domination and to see dogs put in their place, outside in the doghouse, where humans would, as is the cat's goal, be allergic to the canine breed and thus welcoming the feline race into their homes.

This is a high octane fun and friendly family movie that is built around the life of young Scotty (Alexander Pollock) and his scientist father (Jeff Goldblum) who whilst working too hard at trying to make a breakthrough for a cure to prevent dog allergies in humans. Unaware of his neglect, young Scotty, as too his parents, is completely oblivious to the fact that the parallel world that revolves around them is in great danger of crossing the divide of talking animals and dumb humans.

Cats and Dogs is more than puppets meet Muppets; it is more than that, even though just as entertaining, it has progressed to greater levels. If you want to see Mr. Tinkles, the white Persian, that strangely resembles the white cat seen in the Bond and Austin Powers movies, giving his orders, over a grand table and log fire in his mansion. If you want to see secret agent dogs fighting Devon Rex's ninja style, a knife throwing Russian Blue hair-balling big style and a gigantic army of mice reading an instruction manual, all at once, on how to concur the world then this is the movie for you.

With an intelligent and comical script, good sets and capable staff, such as Tobey Maguire, Alec Baldwin, Jon Lovitz, Michael Clark Duncan, Susan Sarandon and the great cinema legend Charlton Heston in the limelight, some very good special effects and plenty of spills and action, you really cannot go wrong.

This is your typical laugh a minute family day in at the movies, and whichever side you cheer for, you are always guaranteed to end up stroking that funny bone until well after your sides ache.