• MunnaBhai5 January 2004
    Excellent Tapori Movie
    An excellent tapori-comedy movie after a long time. The plot line revolves around Munna Bhai(Sanjay Dutt) and his sidekick - Circuit (Arshad Warsi).

Murli Prasad Sharma (Sanjay Dutt) becomes a bhai after coming to Mumbai. His father(Sunil Dutt) wanted him to become a doctor. Every time his father visits him in the city, his dhobi ghaat place has to be transformed into a hospital to show that he is a doctor. That scene is hilarious.

But once Sunil Dutt finds out the reality, he is heart-broken and leaves. So now Sanjay Dutt has a point to prove and gets an admission to become a doctor. He doesn't get along well with the dean of the college. He is also in love with his daughter (Gracy Singh). The story now focuses on how people in the hospital need to be loved and appreciated. Arshad Warsi provides humour after every few scenes. Songs weren't that great except I really liked the "Subah Ho Gayi Mamu".

Sanjay Dutt does justification to his role as the Bhai. Arshad Warsi in the supporting role has acted very well. His role in this reminded me a movie he had done earlier - Tere Mere Sapne.
  • Vikas SS12 May 2005
    Laughter Guaranteed!!
    Storyline: Munna Bhai (Sanjay Dutt) and his gang are the typical 'Bhai's in Mumbai who claims to be a social worker helping out people in recovery (through kidnapping, haath-pair todna) etc and has lied to his father that he is a doctor. When the truth is discovered, an insulted Munna then makes a resolve to become a doctor. Coincidentally, he joins the same college where his enemy Dr. Asthana (Boman Irani) is a strict Dean. A comedy of troubles starts when the 'cool' don confronts strict Asthana.

Comment: Although the story is quite similar to Hollywood's 'Patch Adams', the movie can make u laugh non-stop except for some serious scenes that are very few in that movie. The tapori style of Sanjay Dutt and Arshad Warsi is just too good. Sunil Dutt has acted after a really really long time of 17 years. Gracy Singh is graceful and sweet. Boman Irani has done a good job as a Strict Dean of the medical college who accidentally believes in Laughter therapy. Although the punchline of the movie says "He might just cure you", forget about the curing, he will surely make you laugh!! Truly Amazing Humour!!

Rating: 4/5
  • Odsingh30 December 2003
    Real nice comedy
    I saw Munnabhai MBBS primarily because of Sunjay Dutt. He has always been good in comedy, and his movies make you laugh without having to take help of double meaning dialogues or crossing the line into bitchiness. Ofcourse, Sunjay Dutt has to have a gangster connection, only then the movie can sell. He is the eternal gangster and those roles fit him well, no body can deny that. But where you really have to give director the full points is that he saw the comedic talents of the junior Dutt and put them into a simplistic, well made movie.

All the characters, be it "Circuit" (Arshad Warsi) or the "Dean", or Sunil Dutt, have been portrayed well enough in the movie.

Some of the scenes, like the one where Sanjay Dutt "rags" the seniors make you laugh out from the heart, because this is something which every fresher in the college dreams of.

I think, the movie deserves full points for direction, story, acting, nice title.... This movie was a real treat to watch when most of the other Hindi movies (especially the over-hyped stuff) turn out to be below average.

10 out of 10.
  • anant_mathur8 May 2005
    A Laugh Riot!
    The funniest film of 2003 and perhaps the DECADE. Munna Bhai MBBS is a non-stop laugh riot! Sanjay Dutt gives another mind-blowing performance.

Rajkumar Hirani is the new kid on the Block, but it doesn't show, one of would think he's a veteran filmmaker by the way he has directed his debut venture. Vidhu Vinod Chopra is not know for producing comedies, but his risk has paid off BIG TIME!!!

The film also stars Sunil Dutt, after a very long gap, but he does full justice to his role, he's in full form and doesn't miss a single beat. Rohini Hattangadi is excellent. Arshad Warsi and Boman Irani simply steal the show. Gracy Singh is Sweet, Sensitive and spellbinding. Jimmy Shergill is excellent in a role that seems tailor made for him.

Abbas Tyrewalla's Dialogues are superb and are the soul of the film. A definite must see!!!
  • Banwari9 January 2006
    One of the best movies ever made in Indian Film Industry.
    Well, watched it past-night once again(nth time, I guess!). Just came to IMDb to see the response of our desis! Disappointed!!! Just 381 people have voted for it and the rating is going below 9! This movie deserves to be in top-250 of IMDb! This type of movies are made once every 2-3 decades. Munnabhai M.B.B.S. is a class.

I remember very well, when I first saw the promos of this movie on TV, I was considering it as yet another timepass-govinda-sanju-type-comedy- movie. The night next to its release, there was a party in Mumbai having guests like Nasiruddin Shah and Om Puri! Mr. Shah stated "This movie will go ahead of Vaastav." I was surprised like hell! Vaastav!!! Went to theatre the same week and watched it. GREAT MOVIE! I can't mention a point against it. Everything was simply superb. If we talk about acting! Even the sweeper or peon acted far better than the lead-actors of other Indian movies.

Don't go on anything, watch it and decide yourselves. You will love the movie, I swear!
  • chathux1014 July 2013
    Wat a nice Bollywood piece!
    i got the chance to watch this movie couple of years back in TV, but at that time i was not into Bollywood movies. but after that i saw the ratings of this movie in IMDb and downloaded it.. wow its worth the 1gb of my bandwidth!! i don't wanna say about acting or other stuff, i am writing this review as just a movie fan...throughout the movie all i did was laughing, feeling sad or feeling happy...there are quite a lot of hilarious jokes.. and although i don't like songs playing in movies (i have to accept it and just get on with it when comes to Bollywood right ;), the songs are also nice... and there is a good life lesson too.. just give it a try, you wont regret it... 2 and a half hours of laugh!
  • Chrysanthepop29 December 2007
    The introduction to Munnabhai and Circuit
    Inspired by the Hollywood movie 'Patch Adam', 'Munnabhai M.B.B.S.' tells the comedic story of a thug who wants to become a doctor. The film has its major share of comedic moments and its dramatic moments. It is indeed an entertaining film with the famously lovable characters like Munnabhai and Circuit.

Rajkumar Hirani may have taken the idea of an older outsider wanting to become a doctor from 'Patch Adams' but in essence 'Munnabhai M.B.B.S.' is its own film and it is the performances and comedy that make it worth the watch because most the dramatic moments are a little over the top. While the dialogue in the comedic scenes are witty and hilarious, the ones in the dramatic scenes are a mess.

Sanjay Dutt totally nails Munnabhai. It's hard to picture anyone else in the title role. The actor does full justice. It was nice to see Sunil Dutt after a long time and that too as father to his own son. The actor has a strong presence, even in a brief role. Gracy Singh is cute and adorable. Jimmy Shergill is awesome and holds his own as Zaheer and Boman Irani too does very well. However, it is Arshad Warsi who steals the show in a breakthrough performance as one of the most memorable film characters of recent time, Circuit.

Most of the songs are well balanced and are good additions to the film. I found Munnabhai's romantic ballad hilarious when he tries to convince the suicider to cut the crap. On the technical side, it's alright. On the whole this is one enjoyable flick. One would have expected more from the second Munnabhai film which I found boring but why should that prevent the pleasure that comes from this movie?
  • AishFan17 January 2004
    Absolutely wonderful movie!
    This movie was terrific. The comedy caused rip-roaring laughter. Sanjay Dutt makes a comeback after his poor performance in Ek Aur Ek Gyarah. The emotional scenes are very poignant. The emotions and comedy have been integrated perfectly. The themes of the movie are very inspiring.
  • DeadManWalking11 December 2004
    You'll laugh and you'll cry !!
    It has been added to my version of the Indian classics.Parinda,Lamhe,1942 A Love Story,Dil Chahta Hai,Kaante,Shool,Satya,and now Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.(Forgive me if I am forgetting some great movies).I myself am a student of medicine and though its so unrealistic and atmosphere and so melodramatic a storyline but for once I don't care if it is.The dialogues have been written by some wizard.It was really good to see V.V.Chopras name in the writing credits.Sanjay Dutt was at his killer best and the rest were there to supplement him.And they supported big time from Arshad Warsi to Boman Irani to Gracy Singh.I Don't know whether I would cry and laugh both the same time ever again in my lifetime.
  • suxena4 January 2004
    Superb Comedy
    When I went to watch the movie I was not so sure on how well the director could handle a comedy ( He is not exactly known for that!), BUT 10 minutes into the show and all my doubts were dispelled! This is a superb comedy, and you should watch it for Arshad Warsi's acting, if not anything else. 8/10