• mblumenfield-024271 August 2017
    The story has depth, poignancy and surprise which will grab hold you and won't let go throughout the film.
    This movie has some shades of a Woody Allen film in its character studies of people and in capturing the atmosphere of Manhattan. It examines family and sexual relationships between a husband and wife as well as extramarital love and sex. It looks at a young man's struggle with his sexual and romantic feelings. This is a psychological drama that highlights guilt, jealousy and even an important aspect of the oedipal complex. It is complicated and heavy stuff and it all flows from the pen of screenwriter Allen Loeb, who had written several successful movies before this earlier script ultimately came to fruition. This didn't happen until Marc Webb became attached to it as director and a terrific ensemble cast was put together which includes Jeff Bridges, Pierce Brosnan, Cynthia Nixon, Kiersey Clemons and Kate Beckinsale. However, the character who ties the plot together is relative newcomer, Callum Turner, who plays Thomas, the 25-year-old son who ultimately makes deep seated discoveries about himself and each of his parents before he can move on with his life.

This is the type of movie that will capture your attention and make you ponder each character's motivation. The story has depth, poignancy and surprises which will grab hold you and won't let go throughout the film. It certainly kept us thinking and talking as we left the theater. (2017) – Scheduled for release August 11th. FilmRap.net
  • teakyew19 August 2017
    An unexpected and truly satisfying night at the movies.
    Zounds! Thank heaven I didn't see another site's 31% rating before I went to a WGA screening of "The Only Living Boy In New York," because I might have given it a pass. I LOVED it! I'd give it a 99.9% rating (after all, nobody's perfect). What a joy. Allan Loeb's intelligent and serious script is liberally sprinkled with laugh-out-loud lines and Marc Webb's masterfully fluid direction is stunning. Like watching a French film… I almost expected subtitles. Webb made love to New York as if it was Paris. Flawless casting, Jeff Bridges is brilliant. Stellar performances all-round. Wonderful title sequence. And that fantastic sound track—thrilling! See for yourself.
  • kidkameleon16 September 2017
    rich and beautiful people have problems too
    My girlfriend dragged me to the cinema to see this flick, and when she fell asleep after 15 minutes, and despite not being a drinker, I wish I had smuggled in more than one beer. Like most films and series it is set in a fantasy world most of us don't have access to. A boy who's biggest problem seems to be getting away from his loaded dad and depressed 'don't know what to do with my free time' mother, and which woman to pursue. The stunningly beautiful one, or the stunningly beautiful one. Granted, I'm simplifying, and the story does build, but I just cannot fake any interest in these type of ivory tower characters anymore.
  • maraki-lost1 August 2017
    A well-thought-out film with a strong performances and deep meaning
    The story is set in New York where everyone is trying to become someone, though only a few make it. Our protagonist, 20 something Thomas (Callum Turner) is struggling to become a writer despite his father's disapproval and pressure to find a more stable job. He struggles between what he wants and what his father (Pierce Brosnan) says is possible. His mother (Cynthia Nixon) suffers from depression, is a frequent smoker and seems unstable, he feels the need to take care of her which prevents him from moving away and maybe accomplishing his goals. His crush, Mimi (Kiersey Clemons) does not like him back and sees him as a friend. He feels like his life is boring and like he does not have an interesting story to tell the world.

Then he meets a mysterious old man (Jeff Bridges) who appears to have everything figured out. They become friends and share life experiences. His life completely changes when he finds out his father has a mistress named Johanna (Kate Beckinsale) and decides to persuade her to break up with his father for the sake of his troubled mother. He falls in love with her, forgetting Mimi and complicating things. He finally lets his father know about him and Johanna. After a while, we find out Jeff Bridges is actually his father and when he was talking about having fallen in love once he really was talking about Thomas's mother..

This film is slow so it will not be anyone's cup of tea but it is well thought-out, well acted and has a deeper message to convey: it's never too late to find your place. It is never too late to follow your heart. Thomas's parents sought stability and certainty so they stayed together although they knew they wanted other people or had to give up on their dreams. But after many years of marriage, they finally understood they were unhappy, so Thomas's father found a lover and his mother smoked while regretting how she handled the past. But meeting Johanna helped Thomas find out about his biological dad who encouraged his talent but also improve his relationship with his other dad (who was always trying to keep him down to earth and not let him go after his dream job).

His father stays with Johanna, his mother finally gets the chance to be with her true love (his biological father) and Thomas decides to give writing a chance although he knows failure comes before success. So this film is not so much about cheating as about finding your identity, learning to cope when you think there's no hope or turning back and chasing after the people you love or your dreams.
  • rockman1825 September 2017
    The Only Living Boy in New York (2017)
    Named after the song of the same title by Paul Simon, here is a film that is under the radar and limited in release. With my MoviePass I've been making attempts to see things I normally don't see. I saw that Kate Beckinsale was in it and that of course peaked my interest (as it should for any one really). After watching it I can't say I found it to be great. There are moments but they just fade away into a very average film that struggles to leave an impression.

The film is a bout a young boy in New York who finds out that his father is actually carrying out an affair with a mistress. Once he pursues the mistress he realizes that he himself is attracted to her and they carry out a relationship. Things come to a head, as their relationship starts to effect the lives of the people around him and he must decide what to do. There's much more to it going on but its actually irrelevant because none of it really adds much to the excitement the film should bring.

I can understand why you would need a younger actor like Callum Turner for this role but his awkward gawkiness doesn't really help to cater the relationship between Turner and Beckinsale's character. Jeff Bridges was quite good, as he usually is. The stuff with his character did feel shoehorned in to try to develop a eureka moment and it wasn't really a surprise. The film gets lost in itself trying to sound very profound when in fact there is really little going on here.

Marc Webb and Allan Loab still have a ways to go to really impressive me as creative filmmakers and writers. Its a film where you really struggle to think about anything that made it special. Even for a film with an older mistress who is in multiple affairs, the film had near zero eroticism. Basically, the film fails to establish itself on any fronts and thus is forgettable. No harm done, I didn't have many expectations anyways.

5.5/10
  • David Ferguson7 August 2017
    for the audience
    Greetings again from the darkness. When a movie borrows its title from a great Simon and Garfunkel song, and then utilizes the song to emphasize a point during the story, we can't help but have high expectations. This is often true even if it appears we are likely to be subjected to yet another movie featuring the all too familiar ground of New York intellectuals brewing and stewing their own problems. Director Marc Webb (500 DAYS OF SUMMER, GIFTED) delivers the type of film that critics tend to rip, and audiences like to watch.

Much of the story seems familiar, but the excellent cast prevents the clichés from being overly distracting. Callum Turner stars as Thomas, an aimless writer-wannabe and recent college graduate with daddy issues. Thomas spends his time dreaming about what he might be and pining for the beautiful, intelligent girl with whom he hangs out. It's understandable why Mimi (Kiersey Clemons) has friend-zoned him, since she has ambitions and goals, while he mostly just talks and drifts through each day. One evening while enjoying their conversation over drinks, Thomas spots his dad getting beyond "friendly" with a beautiful young woman in a corner booth. This is upsetting because Thomas' parents are still married, and his mother is at home working through clinical depression.

Ethan (Pierce Brosnan) is a well-known publisher and Judith (Cynthia Nixon) is an artist in a fragile state. As with most self-centered twenty-somethings, Thomas has just assumed the marriage was fine and their family fell into the "normal" range of dysfunction. It's about this time when the movie assumes the tone of a Woody Allen movie. Thomas turns detective and begins following the mysterious beauty from the booth, and their first encounter is a bit awkward. He finds himself mesmerized by Johanna (Kate Beckinsale). She's the stuff that dreams (and fantasies) are made of … for both fathers and sons.

Johanna is really the second spell that Thomas has fallen under. His neighbor W.F. has been providing sage advice on love and writing. It's yet another terrific performance from Jeff Bridges, who plays the alcoholic mentor with secrets of his own. See, every character here carries the weight and burden of their own secrets and plays games in every relationship. In fact, much of the movie plays like group therapy – two characters at a time.

No superheroes exist in this world. There are no car chases or guns, and the only knife is used to slice strawberries in the kitchen. The movie could be described as a coming-of-age story; however, it's not just Thomas that has growing up to do. A deeper message is on display for those who take notice. Every person and every family has secrets, and many people find an inability to be honest and open to be a much simpler way to go through life. We know that people aren't always good – even when we really want them to be.

Of course, we do get the obligatory dinner party with a table full of New York intellectuals (including Wallace Shawn) reminiscing about what a great city it used to be. Actually, nostalgia is an underlying theme throughout. The dinner party does provide Thomas the opportunity to drop the best 'Philadelphia' line since W.C. Fields. The script provides some other quality lines, and though it's certainly not at the level of Whit Stillman or Noah Baumbach, it marks a step up for writer Allan Loeb, who is renowned for such lackluster efforts as COLLATERAL BEAUTY, THE SPACE BETWEEN US and JUST GO WITH IT. He likely owes director Webb and cast a debt of gratitude.
  • Rob Ervin (Obi_Bamm_Karaoke)11 August 2017
    Retro French Filmmaking With A Modern American Flavor
    I have often said that we spend our twenties trying to figure it all out, and then when we hit our thirties we realize that all we have to do is just live our lives. However, getting through that third decade of living to get there tends to be simply a roller-coaster of emotion. Between trying to break the mold of being seen as a child and trying to have the respect of a living, working, independent adult that may not be completely there yet is such fertile ground for storytelling that Hollywood sits in that pocket of life quite a bit. Marc Webb, famous music video director and the man who brought us "(500) Days of Summer" and both "The Amazing Spider-Man" films (both of which I enjoyed, so judge me if you will) takes his crack at a slice of this life with his latest film, "The Only Living Boy in New York".

With a title taken from a Simon & Garfunkel song, Callum Turner is the central character here playing Thomas, a twenty-two-year-old living on his own on the Lower East Side as he is working toward being a writer. He also is dealing with a woman that he is mad for in Mimi (Kiersey Clemons), who may or may not feel the same way, a publisher father (Pierce Brosnan) who just wants him to have direction, and a mother (Cynthia Nixon) who is teetering on the edge of a breakdown. When he stumbles on the fact that his father is having an affair with one his co-workers, Johanna (Kate Beckinsale), it throws everything he knows into a tailspin with the only real anchor in his life being a mysterious old man who moves in across the hall from him (Jeff Bridges).

Looking at screenwriter Allan Loeb's body of work, this film could be kind of everything he has worked on put in the proverbial blender, and what comes out of it is nothing short of satisfying. This is a very rich story told on multiple levels while keeping the main story moving in a way that all of the parts make the whole even better. Callum truly embraces the millennial part of him here, with that sense of entitlement as well as young adult angst that us old codgers would shake our fists at, but at the same time realizing that some of these traits may be a bit more universal than we choose to admit thus making the audience look at this time in their lives through a bit of different lenses. Beckinsale is as irresistible as ever in the role of the "other woman" who wants everyone to believe that she is simply footloose and fancy free but in her quiet moments is so much more, and there is also a great performance by Clemons, whose Mimi is a character that too many of us can identify having an association with in our lifetimes. Brosnan and Nixon, while having limited screen time, also do a serviceable job here to keep Thomas' path moving.

And then, there's Jeff Bridges. Seriously, The Dude is THE DUDE here with all of his wisdom and just crushes it. I feel like everyone should have someone in their lives like his character of W.F. Gerald, and if that person just happens to be Jeff Bridges, that is just all the more awesome. This man is a master at owning his scenes while at the same time knowing that give-and-take that makes his costars shine in a way that is natural and absolutely a wonder to watch.

Visually, I was very impressed with the style employed by Webb, which reminded me a lot of a '60s French film with a modern American sensibility. There is a tinge of Hitchcock-ian suspense involved as Thomas seeks to know more about the woman that has distracted his father's affections that really upped the cool vibe for me as I was watching the film. The tone here is right on point for the story, and the attention to detail shown by the crew translates beautifully.

"The Only Living Boy in New York" is a film that although has an indie vibe is fully and totally aimed for a mass audience. There is something here for all parts of the movie going spectrum from the casual film goer to the more seasoned and detailed film fan. "Well told, well-acted, and beautifully shot" should be enough to get you there, so go!
  • Stewball27 August 2017
    Masterpiece
    This is a movie that hits many of the same notes and soul-chords as "Like Sunday, Like Rain"--character, plot and dialogue driven low budget Indies, both well cast (Yes even Pierce Brosnan), but with no obligatory high octane action scenes, both inexplicably rated R, with low ratings (besides a few like mine),and all leading to a low box office. I especially like Jeff Bridges on screen character and voice over narration. Of all the outstanding scenes, the initial confrontation between Kate Beckinsale and Callum Turner's characters is exquisite. This is the second of Marc Webb's movies I've rated 10/10 (besides "500 Days of Summer") and is only the 18th film (out of 8000+ I've seen) that I've rated at that pinnacle. He also released "Gifted" this year, which I thought was an 8. But in between then and now, he did two high budget, low class superhero movies which I'll leave unmentioned. (You can look them up yourself if you really need to know. Think 8-legged arthropod.) Disclaimer: for those who may be thinking I'm anti-action, one of my two most favorite 10s is "The Accountant", with which you can list these other 10s, "The Counselor, Gladiator, Inception, Undisputed and Zero Dark Thirty". Maybe not your particular cup-o-action, but u c what'm sayin'.
  • Remco19 September 2017
    how did this get into theaters?
    I didn't get this movie. At first I thought the director was trying to imitate a Woody Allen movie. This didn't work. Then I thought I'd gone to some romcom by accident, but no one was laughing. The script is bad, the 'deep psychological' plot turns just don't work, the casting is terrible, there's definitely no magic going on between the actors. I sat through 1 1/2 hours, but I advice you to save your bucks and just don't go see this movie. You'll probably be able to see in on Netflix in a few months in the "Arthouse" section.
  • jdesando25 August 2017
    It has its hot moments, but it's not The Graduate.
    "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me." Benjamin (Dustin Hoffman) in the adultery classic, The Graduate.

Adultery is a prickly business, so to speak. Consider the heft of Anna Karenina, the intensity of Fatal Attraction, and the lightness of A Summer Place. Closer to the last film is director Marc Webb's The Only Living Boy in New York, a tepid potboiler about a boy, Thomas (Collum Turner), bedding his dad, Ethan's (Pierce Brosnan), mistress, Johanna (Kate Beckinsale).

Although it sounds deliciously seamy, the film is really a slow burn of anxiety as the truth waits to step forward with as little character exposition as allowed these days and an ending Nicholas Sparks could have written on deadline. The initial conjunction of son and mistress has some credulity due to the neglectful way dad treats son, a revenge waiting to happen. However, the episodic nature of the trysts and cluelessness of dad and wronged mom are disappointing.

Nothing can beat the ending, a Hollywood contrivance I railed against with The Glass Castle the other day. I suspect it pleases a trial audience but not a discerning one that wants organic exposition, not just clichéd stuff you can see all the way down Fifth Avenue.

Yes, they are rich, and the boy is spoiled but congenial. In some respects The Graduate could have been an inspiration, with its compromise of a young man by a cougar in a leopard bra. Barely a bra here and not the intriguing, ironic bed talk supplied by Charles Webb and smoothly offered by Dustin Hoffman and Anne Bancroft.

Marc Webb director? Thomas Webb character in this film? Charles Webb author of The Graduate? Wish there were more magic in the web of that. Coincidental but no help with the turgid romances of The Only Living Boy in New York.
  • ray-fager0110 November 2017
    Coming of Age Flick with A Twist
    First of all Simon and Garfunkel's song is one of my all time favorites, love that song! I am also a huge Jeff Bridges fan, love the way he delivers a line. So, I went into this with high expectations and for me, it did not disappoint. I thought the writing was very good and the performances excellent with a nice little twist towards the end. Watch it and see what you think!
  • ccorral41911 August 2017
    Family mystery and intrigue guide this film to success
    Director Marc Webb ("500 Days of Summer" and "Gifted" to name a few) affirms his place on the director's chair with his latest heart filled "The Only Living Boy in New York". Jeff Bridges (riding high on his resurgence), stars and narrates this dysfunctional family drama with a slow and concise presentation that draws the viewer in. The film features Pierce Brosnan (in a family man role that becomes him), Kate Beckinsale ("Underworld") as the other women, Cynthia Nixon as his tormented wife, Callum Turner ("War & Peace" TV Mini-series) as the conflicted son, and Kersey Clemons ("Neighbors 2") as his friend-gal. Director Webb, along with writer Allan Loeb ("The Switch"), present a storyline that both looks and feels familiar, yet is comfortably set in family mystery. Their ability to hold the viewer at arms length, yet keep the audience fully invested is movie magic. Brosnan hasn't had a solid role like this in quite some time. Beckinsale is the woman to hate. Nixon (possible Gov. Nixon to New Yorkers) knows how to hold back, and Turner and Clemons have breakout roles here that will surly turn them in to household names. The film also includes some nice character performances, including Wallace Shawn ("Toy Story" VO), Debi Maza ("Entourage") and Bill Camp ("The Night of") to name a few. "The Only Living Boy in New York" marks the beginning of the Award consideration season.
  • mattscandale31 December 2017
    Tepid, mediocre, forgettable, stylized New York
    The movie's timeline lost 20 years somewhere - a hole bigger than any in Back To The Future. The movie was made in 2016 and was set in the present, featuring cell phones and mentioning Google, the closing of CBGBs (2006), and the death of Lou Reed (2013). One character says he's 22 years old. So that means he couldn't have been born before 1991, although I'd place it more like 1995. But then we learn from the character of his father, who looks every bit as old as the 68 years the actor was in filming, that his son was conceived when the father was a young man, back in the hippie days, listening to Simon & Garfunkel records. Simon & Garfunkel split up in 1970, when the actor playing the father was 21 years old. It all makes sense except for the fact that the son is supposed to be 22. The son should have been more like 45. Or the entire movie should have taken place circa 1995. And the character of the young girlfriend was so overweight and unattractive as to strain credibility. Bad casting there. Overall, the movie was innocuous and vapid.
  • Josiah Jubilee20 December 2017
    This book is me on so many levels
    What you need to know from me is simple: it's perfectly acted it's well written well cast, oh so well cast the first movie i've seen where new york matters without being involved in the plot the rest is personal, if you don't like it you don't care about the content of it. It's proficient on every level, and it's weirdly and randomly relevant to me.

You don't know me, so give it a watch in case it's the same for you.
  • secondtake24 November 2017
    A strained plot with lots of good talent and a little emotional sincerity
    The Only Living Boy in New York (2017)

A surprise, from a film I hadn't heard about. It's flawed, it has some gaffes in the writing, and it uses some overused ideas (including the whole world of writers writing about being writers). But the acting is good, and the sentiment is kept in check (most of the time) so that it works overall. Enjoyable if nothing remarkable.

There is a surprising number of known actors here, from Pierce Brosnan to Wallace Shawn (briefly). Callum Turner, the leading man (the only living boy), is likable but a weak link overall. He is meant to be in a crisis on every level, and he kind of shows it but you feel something missing in the performance. And maybe the writing.

Ah, the writing. This is a movie about writers. And there are so many clichés here you can fill a salt shaker with them. Yeah, we love interpersonal drama, and the troubled mom and the troubled dad and the unlikely wise old man next door not to mention the utterly improbably girlfriend who isn't a girlfriend but who hangs on steadily anyway. It's a mashup of heart tugging types, and our star is in the middle navigating it all with really no rudder

Or you might say that Jeff Bridges is his rudder. He's a cliché, too, of course, but his wisdom is good enough to give the movie some depth. I'd say the smarts of Kate Beckinsale's character, the mistress/lover with a troubled past and a surprisingly steady head on her shoulders, rises above the rest. Her performance is spot on, too.

The upshot here is that the movie has a lot of little things to like, and the plot, which is riddled with little annoying emotional tricks, still has some honesty to it and you'll likely enjoy it all for what it is.
  • adonis98-743-18650318 November 2017
    The Main Character was the Biggest Problem of the Film..
    Adrift in New York City, a recent college graduate's life is upended by his father's mistress. The Only Living Boy in New York is Marc Webb's 2nd film this year after the amazing The Gifted Starring Chris Evans and unfortunately it's a disappointment from the acting to the characters themselves especially the romance between Beckinsale and Turner felt forced and not even realistic. The acting from everyone was also disappointing with the dialogue being the biggest problem and the main character was kinda uninteresting as well. Overall this was a big disappointment and with a cast like that i was expecting much but i didn't get either. (0/10)
  • nadinesalakovv17 November 2017
    Review.
    When i first watched the Trailers this movie looked ambiguous and interesting, and to be honest the Trailers are better than the movie itself. This flick has good performances but that is just not enough, this film does not know what it wants to be, at times the film score has that comedic vibe and then it has that romantic drama vibe, a film score is important to a movie, and this particular score did nothing but add to the already awfulness/wreck of a so-called motion picture. The overall plot is a complete mess and doesn't go anywhere, this film didn't need to be made, as a viewer i could not connect to any of the characters and i didn't care anything about them. The movie desperately tries to give off that lovey-dovey soppy vibe which is unsuccessful and all the scenarios/situations are just plain weird. The Only Boy In New York is another one of those films where the Trailer is the only interesting thing about it. I don't recommend this movie.
  • whernstadt14 September 2017
    Charming
    I can't understand why so many people rated it so low. The graduate was great when I saw it 50 years ago, and this is fascinating in today's world. As one character says people are different now. But they are not! Overactive desire in the young man and anger that he can not find an outlet and does not know what to do with his life is classic. People are human with the same passions and desires over the ages, and neurosis and alcoholism is nothing new. I was born in NYC and love to see the city and its vibrancy. 3 of my wives were from New York and I understand relationships, so I feasted upon how the story develops. Yes too slow for some and not enough nakedness for others, but real humanity is there. Acting good and New York far more interesting than Philadelphia. Film reviewers be damned. Bill in Singapore
  • jlf102227 August 2017
    Emotional slowly paced drama with a fantastic story line.
    Jeff bridges character was my favorite, because he tell us the story and I love his tone of voice. Kate Beckinsale beauty and voice are a great addition to this engaging drama. Pierce Brosnen gives a wonderful performance. In addition the young Cahlum Turner conveys emotions masterfully For those that enjoy emotions and feeling this is your film.
  • Felix Yaroshevsky3 September 2017
    Shakespearean proportion, but many people may not want to admit it.
    It develops like contemporary production of Greek tragedy - takes off with gentle suspension, which culminates for a viewer in empathetic co- experiencing and ends as a fairy tale. Solid, seemingly a "small film", but almost all human relational realities encompassed in this pretzel of passion, confusion and fog of existential searching for the meaning of Life - only to find it in simple humanity right at home.
  • Cathy Sargent28 August 2017
    Finding The Father Narrated by The Wild Man
    The Only Living Boy in New York is brilliant as it works on a seemingly infinite number of levels.

Yet at the same time it is a failure because it only succeeds in connecting to the most insightful of the audience.

The paradox is brilliant: we are all in a trance. Private lies of adultery and finance are nuclear weapons that divide people families and the world apart.

Breaking the trance of materialistic suburbia: private lies: fathers and sons: is the Wild Man played by Jeff Bridges the down and out alcoholic father who nails it.

We must find the father.

'When you light the lamp you will see him. He sits behind the door the eyebrows so heavy the forehead so light: lonely in his whole body for you"

The only living boy in New York follows the wild man's lead; breaks his father's secret by sleeping with his father's mistress:( re capitulating his relationship with his father: and ironically the mistress' father)..i

I can't stop thinking about this film which initially felt like My Dinner With Andre: boring: but not with Pierce Brosnan and Jeff Bridges sitting at the table.
  • alon-dar12 November 2017
    serviceable
    it's an OK movie, old story, tiny twist in it, but same all same all. terrible acting by Kiersey Clemons, just terrible. OK acting from the others, and, i can't believe that i am writing this, very good acting by Pierce Brosnan. No way? way. Jeff Bridges is the same, no one can expect from him to act as a human. there is a feeling that the producers/director tried to create a strong and dramatic almost noir movie, they did not succeed, what you do get is a decent not too boring 90 minutes. the score is very suitable.
  • burnwajd24 October 2017
    a movie for all
    i thought i was watching a movie with what i saw was a great cast before i turned up;, but i saw a great cast, great scrip, and good enough directing. u wanna have a bet on who will not cry first before the end of a movie? it s this movie or el mar a fondo. emotions only come to the second half but they hit u like a brick, and you feel them no matter how tough you are. what does keep you going in the first half is knowing the narator is forgetting a part of the story. sorry i took so long to see the movie, i thought it would be something else. the only negative critic i can make is that: u sold it it for something it wasn't (trailer is bad). u will love it no matter how dumb, smart, romantic, cold, funny, or sarcastic you are. if you don't like it, u may say it s corny sometimes, but life is corny all the time and they do well to depict it. i thought the accents were all great eccept brosman who had a problem when we all know he can do American (director s fault i think). but the directore killed it on editing and we saw a lot of emotional scenes, so what else do we need?
  • Danny Blankenship29 August 2017
    I want what daddy's got!
    "The Only Living Boy in New York" is one of those movies that's full of themes of love and dreams, wanting something more, still it proves that life, love and many other things with people and family are complex. This drama shows how life can change for many and that life and art often imitate one another in a literal form life is always an open book! Set in New York city Thomas Webb(Callum Turner)is a newly college grad who doesn't know the way yet as his only life is chatting with his alcoholic next door old wise neighbor W.F. Gerald(Jeff Bridges) who's a brain on life, love, and advice as he's the one writing the book! Then things become more crazy and complex when Thomas finds that his rich father Ethan(Pierce Brosnan) is having an affair with a much younger sexy attractive socialite lady named Johanna(the sexy Kate Beckinsale). Now enter Thomas to steal away daddy's little cat, as this film takes more of a spin about life, love, and learning the ways and the world of people. Overall this film is nothing great yet it's a watch as it's an okay drama as to how life is an open complex book on connection and love relationships.
  • The Rumpus24 November 2017
    Don't Cast Corpses
    The good news about The Only Living Boy in New York is that it features an A-list supporting cast who are consistently appealing and engaging. It also features some great cinematography and lovely NYC locations.

What it totally lacks is an engaging narrative. The title reeks of "coming of age" but there is no discovery or awakening here. The lead character, a millennial nitwit whose name I do not remember, is mired in post-high school inertia, but there is nothing here to suggest that he's actually struggling with that inertia. Rather, he seems content in his inertia, which leaves the narrative with nowhere to go.

But this is largely due to the casting of this Callum fellow. (Sorry, I do not recall his last name and I don't care enough to open a new browser window and look it up.) Once upon a time there was a highly touted you actor named Josh Hartnett, who was incredibly dull, and lifeless, and, well, inert, who has blessedly disappeared from cinema...and this Callum fellow seems to be his clone. He excels at posturing, but to repeat a hackneyed current term - there's no there there. Inert. Boring. The exact opposite of engaging.

On top of which his romantic opposite is Kate Beckinsale - undeniably beautiful, but also undeniably cold. There is a reason that the centerpiece of her acting career has been playing (repeatedly) a vampire, and that is the same reason why she does not appeal as a romantic lead. To touch her is to be frozen in ice.

Whoops - Callum Turner. I didn't have to Google it. It's printed just on the left of this web page. Callum Turner. Please, pass him by in future castings.

Inertia does not cinema make.