User Reviews (726)

• Austin Weynand6 November 2016
    Visually impressive, but utterly uninspired. Could have been great
    After seeing this movie, and then seeing the other reviews for it online, I felt the need to write my opinion in order to share why some did not like it and why I feel it could have been far better under different direction.

First of all, I generally like Marvel's films. They manage to put out new stories virtually every year and incorporate new characters into their ensemble. They've also mastered the art of masking each film as original and fresh, and for the most part it's just a fun time at the cinema. But the problem is that eventually, while you will always be able to pick new heroes from the massive wealth Marvel has created through comics, the formula, the acting, the uninspired scripts and classic gimmicks will become stagnant and even begin to bore the audience.

I wanted to like Doctor Strange, and I, too, was convinced by the trailers that it would be captivating and interesting and thought- provoking. But twenty minutes into the movie and I could already tell how this was probably going to go.

The acting was to be expected given the cast they chose, but nothing stood out. Benedict Cumberbatch played a convincing Doctor Strange, but his character was completely static - I felt no indication that he had changed in the slightest by the end of the film (which is what the filmmakers were lazily trying to portray), and I couldn't even figure out why he suddenly wanted to fight the enemy in the first place. The rest of the characters were poorly fleshed out, and I found myself caring little for any of them, a phenomenon that did not occur when I watched "Iron Man" or "Guardians of the Galaxy". The jokes and wise-cracks felt especially childish this time around, and even out of place in the face of sincerely substantial ideas such as alternate dimensions and the fabric of time and space. Additionally, the pace simply felt rushed and awkward, and like I said before, I just couldn't find myself caring for any of the one- dimensional, superficial characters.

The plot was formulaic, which is typical and expected of Marvel; hero suddenly has powers, hero is confronted by conflict larger than himself, hero acts selflessly to save the day and the girl, hero returns and the film ends with some good old fashioned comic relief (Wang laughing, in this case). Normally I could enjoy this, but combined with the tepid acting, shallow characters and strange pacing, the whole plot and film just felt... tired. Even with the great visuals (which were truly impressive and to the benefit of the movie), I simply didn't enjoy it. I wanted more, a more interesting script that had at least a couple memorable or provocative lines rather than none, a stronger character arc, a better and more menacing villain (spoilers aside, the final confrontation was COMPLETELY underwhelming and mildly ridiculous), and, all-in-all, a more enticing movie.

I really think "Doctor Strange" could have been a lot better of a film, but I feel like the filmmakers were just flat-out lazy this time around. While I do recognize the cash-cow that is Marvel, I just hope this isn't the beginning of the end for their good movies, movies with at least a little bit of substance. They still plan to cram over a dozen heroes into Infinity War, and if as little heart and care is put into it as was put into this one, it could be a very bad, shallow, exhausted film.

3.5/10 for great visuals and a relatively coherent plot.
  • paulofigueiredo25801 November 2016
    Strange movie
    I had fun seeing this movie. It's an overall good popcorn flick. But if you are, as i'am, a little demanding about movies, you'll feel in the end that they gave a great amount of attention to the digital/special effects aspect of the movie and very little to the screenplay. In the end, if you're one of those weirdos who stay and watch the credits out of respect for the crew who made the movie possible, you'll notice that digital, cgi and special effects have huge teams of dozens of computer geeks who master an art that fills 90% of today's action movies. That's saying a whole lot of the movies industry these days.

The movie has a relaxed tone to it, almost like Green Lantern. The protagonist is egocentric and stubborn. His confidence is often mistaken for arrogance. The jokes are of bad taste. The dialogues are light and deprived of any seriousness. Even in the event of an eminent apocalypse, Dr. Strange manages to throw his puns and bad jokes. The multiverse of presented almost as a gratuitous event, a mundane truth accessible to anyone of travels to Kathmandu. There's no secret, no effort to achieve it. You only need to knock at their door, and the Ancient One will teach you right away the secrets of the astral plane. There's no sense of urgency, like for instance the urgency that drives Neo to find the truth about the Matrix and his decision to swallow the red pill.

This plot is old and recycled. It takes the Hero's Journey myth and put it to practice. And we've seen it a thousand before: Talented yet self centered person is set to trial and loses his talent/strength. Seeking redemption, finds a tutor. The tutor teaches humility and new found power. An enemy emerges. Tutor dies in fight. Apprentice seeks revenge, wins battle, takes the tutor's position. More or less, this formula is old and we all know it.This movie is academic in this sense. But it somehow works. It's light mood dialogues and absence of seriousness makes it digestible.

Well... at least until the last battle. Dormammu (one of my favorite marvel villains) is so poorly portrayed. Worst only Galactus in Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer. And the battle, the solution found by Dr.Strange to defeat Dormammu makes absolutely no sense. The Eye of Agamoto controls time in a dimension where time exists, but the the Dark Dimension of Dormammu there's no such thing as Time. So, how could the Eye even work in a dimension where the concept of time does not exist. How did even Dormammu succumbed to a concept to which he was not captive of of? Did the Eye of Agamoto invented time in the Dark Dimension? Of course not. It's just a bad plot decision. It's simply lazy writing.

The way they confuse so many time the realm of metaphysics with hard science like quantum mechanics, is astonishing. Like they were trying to mask the comic book nature of Dr. Strange (a sorcerer who is able to travel between dimensions with his magical powers) with quantum physics Wikipedia vocabulary. The confusing and unnecessary discussion between Strange and the Ancient One about the nature of the Multiverse, shows an attempt to minimize the "magic" of movie and make it sound more ... "scientific". Dr. Strange, in the book, is a magical entity. His powers are far beyond known science as he can do things modern science finds impossible. So the attempt to rationalize such character is in my opinion a big mistake.

Overall, is an entertaining movie, with cool special effects, pleasant acting and light atmosphere. Good Saturday evening flick. Don't expect lots of brains in it.
  • lajselvar3 March 2017
    Doctor Strange Review
    Marvel introduces a new superhero Doctor Strange, to the Cinematic Universe. The comic book famous, Sorcerer Supreme was brought up to the big screen by Director, Scott Derrickson. The cast for Doctor Strange includes Benedict Cumberbatch playing Stephen Strange, Rachel McAdams playing Christine, Chiwetel Ejiofor playing Baron Mordor.

Doctor Strange is the origin story of how a very successful surgeon ends up in a unexpected car5 crash, that ends up damaging the nerves in his hands. What other doctors would call incurable, Stephen Strange is left to find a way to cure himself but stumbles upon a way to gain unimaginable power. The story itself follows the comics in a way that, a comic book fan would be excited and normal everyday movie water would be stunned. Doctor strange brings new feeling to a superhero movies that the past movies could not.

Benedict Cumberbatch who plays doctor strange was in a very intriguing role. Co-stars Rachel McAdams and Chiwetel Ejiofor help make doctor strange different and stand out from marvel other 13 movies in the MCU.Fans were excited to see how Benedict Cumberbatch will portray the character and after watching the movie i could say he does the character justice. Benedict cumberbatch said this when asked about him being casted as doctor strange, "Excited. Really excited. There's a lot of work to be done and i'm just at the beginning of it all so i'm not going to talk too much about it but it's a thrilling gig to get. I just can't wait. Very excited."

With stunning special effects that would even make you feel like magic is real, Doctor Strange introduced Magic into the MCU, which open up an entirely different universe. This allows an entertaining movie to become a visually stunning entertaining movie that would leave you wanting more. The graphics will wow you before the story even begins. Doctor strange has such a great visual aspect that if you don't like the story at least the visual aspects will blow you away.

Doctor Strange is an incredible movie and i recommend it to everyone. Acting 9/10, Benedict Cumberbatch nails the role as Stephen Strange. Visual aesthetics 10/10, this movie sets the bar for the best appearance. Story 8/10, follows the comics but may not please everyone. Doctor strange is a great movie and is a must watch for any comic book fan.
  • Gary Freeman3 November 2016
    More of the Same
    Another MCU movie that the bandwagon is giving stellar reviews to even though it sucks.

The movie follows the same basic formula as all of the other MCU movies. There's quips, there's jokes, there's a McGuffin, there's a 1-dimensional villain.

Movie's sole purpose is another lead-up to the next Avengers. The mystical artifact Strange uses turns out to be an Infinity Stone. "Shocking". If I had a dollar for every time Marvel did something that took me by surprise, I'd be flat broke, because you can see this stuff coming from a mile away.

I swear, I almost walked out when I heard the wifi password joke. Not to mention the stupid cape being alive so they have more comedy in the movie. Comedy? My mistake, I meant cringe.

Marvel Movies have a tendency to love to have the hero getting betrayed by someone they thought an ally. Baron Mordo is a friend of Strange and his group in the movie. He's a villain in the comics. Anyone knows what is coming from a mile away. He doesn't go full bad guy in this one, but expect him to be full on evil in the sequel.

Another thing nearly every single MCU movie does is the fake-out death. A character will die and then in the next movie or even just in the post-credit scene of the movie they died in they'll pop up alive and well. Seriously, go back and look. Wong dies in this movie and Strange just reverses time and brings him back. The only character I think has stayed dead is Quicksilver. And there were rumors he was going to pop up alive and well somehow in the New Avengers scene at the end of Age of Ultron.

The warped city stuff isn't as revolutionary is people claim. Considering Inception did it 6 years ago and that horrible Devil May Cry reboot did something similar as well.

Movie is getting stellar reviews, which doesn't mean much. At this point Marvel Studios could just release a 2 hour movie that is just the main character sipping a glass of tea while sniffing a dog turd and it would still get critical acclaim.

You know why it's so freaking hard to enjoy Marvel movies these days? When everyone is on the bandwagon and everyone attacks you if you have a different opinion, and when the movies are praised for being "amazing" when in reality they're just actually "just okay" or only "halfway decent", it makes them movies feel worse to me because when they don't live up to what critics and the fanboys say it is.

Like Civil War this year. Everyone called it a "Masterpiece." Then I saw it and the whole movie only functioned because of the gaping plot holes. But if you point out said plot holes you get vilified.

I think this movie might be the last MCU movie I bother seeing. They all feel the same, follow the same formula, and the fanboys make going to see them insufferable. Maybe Spider-man: Homecoming could be good, but since they have Vulture, Shocker, and Tinkerer (3 1- dimensional villains) as the villains of the film, it looks like the movie is already setting up to be the same movie with different characters we've seen about 15 times now. Just watch, I bet that the plot ends up being Vulture trying to steal a priceless artifact and Spidey has to keep it from him, and then in the post-credit scene it's revealed to be an Infinity Stone so they can do another "Look, look, shared universe,everything tied together" moment that are tired at this point.

Why did I give it a 1? I'd have given it a five, but the over-hyped nonsense from critics and the Marvel fanboys just makes these movies feel worse than they actually are to me. A mediocre movie ends up feeling like complete trash when everyone is calling it one of the best movies ever and then you see it and it's just "kind of sort of okay" Especially when the only thing I thought was good in the movie was the special effects. I also enjoyed the special effects in the Transformers series, but as we all know, those movies suck, and no amount of great special effects will save a crap movie.

Movie also shows the problems the MCU will be facing soon. Dr. Strange is a D-list character at best. After they lose Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Widow, Thor, Nick Fury, and the other characters that the MCU was built on, they'll only have Spider-man and a bunch of C and D-listers holding their shared universe together.
  • Vinay Sital21 October 2016
    Trippy, Weird, Amazing and Jawdropping!
    I was lucky enough to be among the press-junket last Wednesday to witness this movie! I usually rate movies by different aspects, but i'll also answer some questions my friends had about this film which I also had myself!

Acting (10/10): This cast is amazing! They embody their characters instead of trying to act like the character. Benedict as Dr. Strange was a portrayal right out of the comics! Tilda as the ancient one killed it!

Action (10/10): Wow! I could argue the action in this movie being on par with the scenes in civil war. It was so incredible watching this scenes with million pieces moving yet focus sing on the main characters. Wide angles, long shots and great choreography. what else do you want?

Story(8/10) : This movie had a solid story and you believed what, how and why things were going on! Villain was good and actually a memorable one for once(stab, you're welcome dc fans). It was not flawless though. The pace kind of slows down before the final act which was unnecessary!

Cinematography/VFX 10/10: The images in this film blew my mind! There is a scene in the beginning where the ancient one shows Dr strange "the magic" and it is great! Some serious mind-bending stuff combined with great visuals to let it manifest itself to the audience. Most artistic movie yet of marvel.

Overall, i'd give this movie an 8.5. Though this isn't THE best marvel movie, it is truly one of best out there. After the disappointing Jason borne, jack reach er etc. we finally have a movie that lives up to the hype! GO Watch this movie in Max 3d if possible, because it is worth it for once!

Some questions that my friends asked:

"Is this better than civil war?" - Well visual-wise on par, but story-wise civil war is better for many reasons including the fact that civil war had a lot of background information to work with. This was more of a standardized origin film.

"Is there a post-credit scene?" - Ah yes sir! Apparently there are two, but we got to see only 1.

"Is this the most mind-boggling thing you've ever seen on screen?" - Ehm yes and no. Yes, because the effects were amazing and things I've never seen before. No, nothing was so mind-blowing that it made me think different of the world or something.
  • ibynadat20 October 2016
    A fantastic, excellent and glamorous movie with everything. A class act
    Without giving away too much, Benedict Cumberbatch just kills it. He is one class actor. Cumberbatch rocks as Strange and pulls it off with ease. The impressions his portrayal gives us is that he was born to play the role of the ex-neurosurgeon turned Sorcerer Supreme. Such is the talent of the lead cast, that it represents just how good the movie was overall. Every normal movie watcher will love the action, humour, adventure and fantasy throughout the film.

A solid new character introduced to the Marvel Cinematic Universe with loads of potential. Cumberbatch solidifies and anchors his role in the MCU as Stephen Strange in a similar fashion to RDJ doing so with Tony Stark.

A must watch! Enjoy!
  • annie13 November 2016
    takes the audience for a fool
    Doctor Strange was a painful movie to watch.

Almost forcing myself to sit through the end, I fought the urge to leave the cinema half way and go home. Now, just to put it out there, this may just apply to me because people have different values they look for in a movie, and I just happen to value story, above everything. Because that's what movies are, visual stories.

Visual effects alone have a limit to which they can entrance the audience. The CG was stunningly beautiful in Dr. Strange, with buildings folding, twisting, and morphing into unimaginable ways. The first time it occurred ( the first ten minutes of the movie) I was struck with awe. But it got old, really fast. Why? Because they lacked logic. I don't mean logic as in, 'oh that can't happen in real life?' but as in 'if he elongated the hallways so that Dr. Strange can't run away before, so why doesn't he do that now, instead of throwing random things at him that he can obviously avoid?" Yes, I'm talking about the inconsistency of the characters' abilities to manipulate space just for the sake of 'plot.' Oh no, the villain is going to become very weak all of a sudden just so that Dr. Strange can get away, just because he's the main character! Not to mention that although, the ancient one got her powers from Dormamu, she can't beat Kaecilius at the beginning of the movie.

Well, this severely weakened the credibility of the plot, but this isn't the only reason why I would give the story a 1/10. One of the first scenes of the movie (To be honest I can't remember if it was the first scene or the second one, that's how memorable the movie is to me) is of the ancient one trying to catch Kaecilius who steals a few pages from her book and kills the guard. Of course, here I thought, 'obviously the whole movie is going to be about trying to stop the evil guy that stole the page from using the pages to do something terrible to the world, maybe even word annihilation.' and as immediately as that thought occurred to me, I became terrified that I would have to sit through 2 hours of a very very cliché plot. I tried to doubt myself, I really did, and throughout the film, until the very end, I kept hoping for the best, 'okay, there's going to be a plot twist. Any time now, any time. Surely a movie can't be this cliché, right?' but it was just that cliché. And when the movie ended, I was furious.

The amazing graphics and fantastic actors (I am a very big fan of Benedict Cumberbatch, especially because I love the Sherlock series) was absolutely undermined and practically thrown in the trash because of the ridiculous, overdone story line. The movie basically ridiculed the audience and their level of intelligence, by making us sit through two hours worth of scenes so flashy and meaningless and hoping that they would enjoy the special effects like some new born baby or an extremely complex artist that only pursuits aesthetics for a living. Not to mention that I had the biggest migraine ever after the whole fiasco ended.

Avatar, was an amazing movie because it had everything; it had originality/creativity, meaning, and steady natural development of characters. The amazing CG effects that blew the world at the time it came out was only able to shine because of everything else in the movie. That's what makes a classic. In comparison, Dr. Strange was just a bundle of mess with too rapid character development without any base, (why does Dr. Strange suddenly decide to get involved in the magical world? There were implied and LITTLE explicit reasons, but they were definitely not explored in enough depth to convince the audience) and the romance was so rapid and so cliché it almost seemed like there was no point to it, except to show the audience how much Dr. Strange matures, but again, how he matures is barely touched upon (apparently if you just train a few months and fight with a villain you just mature all of a sudden?)

Maybe I shouldn't be tied to story so much when the movie is produced by marvel, after all. But I sat through all the avengers movies just fine, although they weren't exactly my cup of tea. This movie though, it was just so bad I had to write a review.

I may be missing something huge in the movie here, and maybe that's why I am so thoroughly disappointed and maybe even disgusted with the movie. If that's indeed the case, please don't hesitate to point it out and enlighten me on what exactly I missed that makes the movie so great.

Thanks for reading.
  • Red_Identity6 November 2016
    Pretty average
    I think this film hugely benefits from being something at least a little different from most Marvel films. It's different in the focus that is on magic and sorcery and all of that. However, it's still quite familiar in its arc and predictable beats. The cast is fine, although nothing ever really great. Swinton manages to rise above her material, as predicted that she would. Rachel McAdams also adds a lot of heart to her character, who has a lot of screen time but who is really likable. The action sequences here are really impressive and they make a lot of the film worth it. As it is, it's not bad at all and it's enjoyable, just nothing too memorable.
  • krieg881425424 October 2016
    Wonderful and Amazing Escapist Entertainment
    Way back when I first heard that Doctor Strange was being brought to the screen I was a bit worried. How could they translate the complexity of character and his true coolness but stay away from the cheeseball stuff? Dress a guy up like the books and remain true to the seriousness of the character? Well, they managed to not only pull it off but deliver one of the best hero origin films ever made.

The director knew that you had to establish and truly care about the character. Making it grounded but still trippy really helps give it a flavor unlike any other comic adaptation. The Harry Potter meets Iron Man meets Ant-Man flavor was there yet it all feels unique. The MCU magic is there literally. Everything established in the Captain America films and both Avengers pays dividends in a way here. The universe has been established wonderfully and this film does the best job to date playing in that universe. Everything and every scene packs some sort of punch and resonates with true style and heart. They really let the action flow but also allow for key development of the overall story and over concept. This also allows them to probe deeper into the character's personalities. ALL the characters even the ones with smaller roles get to shine. This heightens the tension, so often missing from lesser comic-book movies, and adds real weight to the action sequences which are thrilling and often mesmerizing. Add more than a dash of thriller aspects and a few new characters that steal every scene that they appear in.

I honestly can't think of one way to improve this film. The result is a movie that's just flat out exceptional and that honestly delivers the best visuals I've ever seen in a movie.