User Reviews (1,025)

• gogoschka-115 July 2014
    I understand it's not for everyone (and I might have a slightly twisted sense of humour), but to me, this is pure cinematic pleasure
    I just can't get enough of this film. This year alone I have already watched it 4 times (and the year isn't even done yet). It works on so many levels and is so much fun; the way the conventions of the 'Horror' genre are turned upside down, while at the same time the story transcends the mere spoof and satire and becomes something new, entirely original – just: Wow!

It's clear this film was a labour of love; every tiny little detail was cared for and the writing is just phenomenal. The dialogues between the 'office clerks' alone are beyond priceless and offer such great, apparently effortless performances by Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford (two absolutely fantastic character actors, by the way) – this movie has simply everything. And the last 20 minutes offer the biggest payoff I have ever seen in a film. A rare treat and a true pleasure for film geeks like me. Thank you Joss and Drew! 10 stars out of 10.

Favorite Films: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054200841/

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
  • Matt_Layden15 March 2012
    I FREAKING LOVED this movie!!!!
    The Cabin in the Woods is a spin on the horror genre from writer's Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard, without giving away the spoilerish parts of the plot, I'll simply say that it involves 5 friends who fit the horror movie stereotypes (Jock, Slut, Party-Guy, Nerd, Virgin) who go to a cabin in the woods to party and get away from it all. Trouble is, its never really safe to go to a cabin in the woods is it?

To be honest, the less you know about this film, the more awesome it will be. I felt that the trailer gave away a bit too much of the twists and turns one can expect from the film, but at the same time the image of a bird flying into a giant forcefield is what will set this film apart from the generic horror films that hit the theatres today. The Cabin In The Woods tells you upfront "You think you know the story..." but of course you don't. This is Joss Whedon after all. Fans of Buffy and Angel will get a kick out of this, as actors from that universe make their way into this film.

It's been a long time since I've had a lot of fun at the movies and the Cabin in the Woods was a lot of fun. It's an odd movie to sell, because a lot of it has to be kept secret to make the second half of the movie exciting and fresh. It blends a few genres together, the two main ones being horror and comedy and it works perfectly. Both Whedon and Goddard worked on Buffy and Angel, which was a balancing act of genres, so they knew the right tone to get here and they nailed it. They take the clichéd aspects of every horror film and put it in here, to brilliant use. We actually get to see reasons for stupid character mistakes, which made that whole aspect of the film fun.

Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford have great chemistry together and stole every scene they're in. I would love to see these two character actors work together again, they made this film really fun and they are a joy to watch on the screen. The young actors, including Thor himself Chris Hemsworth, sell the clichéd horror characters very well. In most horror flicks I can't stand any of the characters, here I was rooting for all of them.

There are some truly hilarious moments, I am dying to talk about them, but doing so would ruin the surprises. All I can say is that I was laughing throughout the entire film, I cheered, I clapped and I enjoyed myself. There are a lot of horror references, most notably The Evil Dead, so it's fun to spot things here and there. Horror fans I think will really get a kick of of this flick and I pray it does well, cause it's the most fun I've had in a long time.

Drew Goddard's first directorial gig, he had a lot on his plate and he managed to pull off one hell of a film. It helps when you have someone like Joss Whedon in your corner, but I applaud him for being able to pull off the tone perfectly, I imagine the script to screen process was identical. This is a very clever script, with laughs, gore and surprises at every corner. When you have Goddard, whose worked on Buffy, Angel, Lost and wrote Cloverfield, teamed up with partner Joss Whedon who is one of the best writers working today, then you know you're walking into something special. I can't recommend this flick enough. When it comes out, you must go see it.

Just makes sure you don't know much about it beforehand, or it might ruin the awesome factor.
  • oldman0078 August 2012
    I loved it, but I can totally understand why people would walk out of the theater and find it terrible.
    I'm a big Horror Fan. I have been since I was a young child. I've never seen anything like this movie before. It's a combination of everything. It's taken everything from every other Horror Movie and thrown it all into this movie. But what is really impressive is the fact that the movie has it's own (original) plot.

What people seem to get confused about is that this is also a comedy. If you haven't laughed within the first 10 mins, then you better walk out right now, because the movie is exactly the same all through out. I was laughing all the way through it. This movie is just bizarre. One of the most bizarre Horror/Comedies i've ever watched in my life, is fact, the most bizarre Horror/Comedy i've watched in my life.

Don't be expecting any scary scenes or anything suspenseful, because this is the wrong movie for you.

The acting was great, well written, well directed and excellent comedy one-liners and with the best twist i've ever seen! This movie is exactly where it needs to be, it's a cult movie. It's "EXACTLY" what it should be. I'm part of the cult following! A cult classic and the best movie i've seen of 2012! If you are a Horror (over the top violence) mixed in with comedy fan, I 110% recommend this one! 10/10
  • alexandermilo16 April 2012
    Am I missing something?
    I went to the premiere of The Cabin In The Woods last Friday. Not having read any of the reviews going around prior to watching it I must say it is one of the worst films I have seen in a long time. The thing is, am I missing something? I get the fact that it is a parody or an anti-horror film or perhaps even a nod (whether positive or negative) to horror films generally, but I still don't like it.

It was predictable from the start (why did that eagle have to hit the invisible boundary to the cabin? It made the later scene with the motor bike jump completely redundant). The acting was poor and even though the film may be satirical it is still painful to watch.

The only thing I do like is perhaps the idea of an ode to all horror films and horror characters, but if it is a parody than that wouldn't make sense.

I am just so surprised that this film currently has 7.9 / 10. Am I missing something here???
  • LBSRmcr1 November 2012
    An anti-horror horror movie
    This film is a horror movie that is poking fun at horror movies and movies in general. So if you're looking for a film that you can cradle a scared lady-friend to, this is not the one.

To anyone who has watched Southpark's Britney Spears episode you will know the parallel that Matt Stone & Trey Parker drew between our modern culture glorifying and then using celebrities up as an ancient sacrifice to the gods to ensure a good harvest. This movie does the same- by creating a reality TV type scenario that the main characters walk into. But it takes it a step further, in showing how the horror movie clichés (joker, jock, slut, nerd and virgin) can be seen as a more elaborate version of this kind of sacrifice ; and horror is the genre that supplies an endless stream of blood to satisfy this ancient need.

But the characters are so much more than clichés- in the movie they actually are noticing how they are falling/being cast into these roles and being less and less human, less and less themselves. That in itself has me tipping my hat to the writers. Joss Whedon you clever beast!

As to it not being pure horror- that's the point of the movie. I was enjoying the commentary that the narrative made while it developed and because i didn't know where it was heading and why things were happening, it kept me on edge and interested to the very end.

At one point I was sitting there thinking - wow this movie must have been so much fun to make! It was definitely fun to watch.
  • letzgostate2 May 2012
    I don't get it. Most disappointed I've been in awhile.
    I have not been this disappointed in a long time. Had I known I was coming to watch a movie that was making fun of horror movies, I wouldn't have wasted my time or money.

Original as it was, it lacked three major things I expected: 1. Horror (which was replaced with comedy) 2. Good Acting (I was sorely disappointed, the characters didn't seem that into their roles) 3. some sort of intelligent story (based on hype and previews)

I felt bad for none of the characters that died. None of the characters really developed throughout the movie. The story was just terrible with too many unanswered questions and the film makers chastised the review groups prior to releasing the film for asking about a sequel.

Some more about the reason that they needed a virgin, jock, whore, fool and scholar would have been nice to know. Why they were sacrificing to the gods could have been more clear. Why they were involving all the other countries would have been nice, but mostly, explain this to me:

Which one of the Asian children in the classroom was the whore? the jock? the fool? I'm assuming at that stage in their lives they were virgins and scholars...

I never found myself startled during the movie, not one jump. I feel cheated that I went to a horror movie to realize it was a poorly done comedy.

I don't get it. I must be wrong. Everybody else seems to disagree with me.
  • aaronoshea58-403-11953019 August 2012
    Did you see the film I saw ?
    I don't know why people are saying that this film was an abomination and advising others not to see it, because it has all if the element required in a fantastic horror.

For me it re-ignited the flame in what was a dying genre, being poisoned by numerous of extremely bad films. Not only did it make it's way into my favorite horrors of all time, but it makes me have faith that people can once again create a true horror. Now there are only remakes of horrors, ( Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street ....) or prequels, ( Prometheus ).

This movie is full of twists and turns you don't know what way it's going to go. It's smart, funny, gory and sexy with fantastic acting by all the cast. I was on the edge of my seat hungry for more.

Overall, I rated this movie a 10 because it deserved it. This was one of the best films I've seen in a very long time and is one that I'll be watching over and over again.
  • mightyjor23 August 2012
    Movie Magic
    Remember when Scream came out? People loved it - and not because it was the most horrifying and controversial scary flick ever released. It was a huge success because it gave fans of the horror genre something new. It made them laugh because it lovingly poked fun at a genre the fans knew by heart. Cabin in the woods takes a slightly different approach. Where Scream chose to laugh about dumb things people do in horror movies, Cabin decides instead to respectfully explain...well, everything - and making you laugh/scream while it does.

I absolutely loved this film. If you've looked at a few reviews, you'll see this film has three acts. I like to compare them to the three acts of a magic trick - something I learned from The Prestige:

1) The Pledge - Something ordinary is introduced to the audience. Five average college students go to a remote cabin in the woods where they'll spend the weekend partying it up! This is where we say to ourselves that because this is a horror movie, everyone will die, and thus we already know the ending. Am I right?

2) The Turn - There's something else happening here. It's not what we thought. This is the part where we scratch our head and say "Wait a sec...what's going on?" This story isn't keeping to the rails we set it on. It's taking a weird turn and only getting weirder. This is also the part where people give up and decide they hate it because it's different. It's also the part where your standard horror flick ends...but wait!

3) The Prestige - The resolution. The end. The explanation to everything that's been going on, and also possibly the greatest 20 minutes ever shown in horror movie history. This is the part where the audience is silent and speechless as every die-hard horror fan's dream is realized on screen. All your dedication, love, and sacrifice for this genre is justified. The credits roll, you walk out of the theater saying to yourself, "Did that just happen?" - and then you buy another ticket and watch it again.

I'm trying not to reveal anything too big, and I think everyone else will tell you the same; you want to know as little as possible about it before you watch. The movie is funny, scary, and unbelievably entertaining. If you don't like it, you're one of the people that took a turn in act two and stopped following along. I feel so sorry for those guys. Have a good time at the theater!
  • freekishndazed14 April 2012
    A film for anyone who has ever complained that they don't make good, original horror films anymore.
    I would normally be leery of giving out a perfect 10 rating, but if ever there was a modern horror movie that was worthy of a 10, it's this one. "Cabin in the Woods" has done what I no longer thought was possible for a horror movie, it blew my mind and showed me something I never expected. When I first saw a trailer for this on television I thought "Oh great, another recycled, clichéd horror flick. Can't they think of anything other than putting a group of young people in a stale setting and kill them off one by one?" Well it would appear that they can. This is a film that is nearly impossible to market effectively without giving anything away. Some of the more recent trailers have included much more footage that gives a glimpse into what this movie REALLY is about. Word of mouth should be the biggest factor that helps make this movie popular. I just hope for your sake that no one spoils this brilliant gem for you. It's best to go into it with as little information as possible. I really enjoyed the pacing of this movie. They could've taken this in an entirely different direction if they simply wanted to shock you at the end. Instead, they treat the film like a slow, steady reveal. In fact, the opening scene does not even feature the group of kids that we follow on their horrific trip to the cabin. Instead, it opens with the "other" side of this story and the characters who get about as much screen time as our heroine and her pals. The result is a cinematic experience like none other. The audience is fed bits of information little by little throughout the entire film, so you're always hot on the trail of this story's secrets. You won't know exactly what's going on but you'll feel like you have a pretty good grasp on things the further you advance into it. In reality, every time this plot reveals a twist, it also introduces more brand new questions into your mind. So the twists don't just come completely out of left field and shock you, but they guide you through a very intriguing story that manages to keep expanding into something bigger and bigger. I'm so glad they wrote the script this way. I feel like 9 times out of 10 the writers of today would be too tempted to create a story that hides everything behind the curtain and focuses solely on the kids at this cabin. That way they can build up to a final payoff that no one would ever see coming. This payoff is too big to simply catch you off guard with. They got this right, a movie that isn't only original for the end of the third act, but a refreshing journey from start to finish. Go experience this film before you overhear people talking about it at the water cooler.
  • Josh C. Isitemiz13 May 2012
    This movie shows that I can't rely on the user ratings on IMDb anymore!...
    Is this some kind of a joke? Are there cameras that filming people's reactions and laughing at them or what?

It was AFWUL! It was neither scary nor funny. I hated myself that I didn't leave the theater after the first 15 minutes.

The only scary and the best scene of the movie was the guy appeared suddenly at the old gas station. The movie is that bad...

Too bad I can't rate it less than 1.

Unless you are from the new generation who loves nonsense bloody scenes and find them funny and somehow scary; STAY AWAY FROM THIS MOVIE!

My rating : -10/10