User Reviews (133)

• trbartel27 October 2017
    Best Action Movie
    Best Action Movie...why? Certainly not over priced special effects and huge explosions. This movie was deep...pay attention. The plot is intricately woven and suspenseful. Jackie plays an Oscar worthy role as a deeply mournful parent looking for answers and won't take no for an answer. Pierce was sensational and very believable. One of the best all around casting jobs I've seen in a while. If you know nothing about the Brits and the IRA conflicts, spend 5 minutes on Wikipedia before going to see the movie. This is a must see!!
  • atlasmb26 October 2017
    A Gripping Drama With Plenty Of Action
    Terrorists routinely take out civilian targets, killing innocents who just happen to be in the wrong place. The terrorists don't consider reprisals from the victims or their families; they only expect government agencies to retaliate. But what if a victim had unusual abilities that would permit him to take action? This is the basic premise of "The Foreigner".

Jackie Chan plays Quan, a small, unassuming Asian man whose daughter happens to be a casualty in a politically motivated London bombing. With little left to live for, he commits him self to revenge/justice. Adapted from a book called "The Chinaman", the story allows Chan to use his martial arts in service to a personal cause. He employs stealth and intimidation to discover who the terrorists are, then goes after them.

Pierce Brosnan plays Liam Hennessey, an Irish politician who is a former IRA member. He wants to identify the bomber(s) for political reasons, and to hold together a fracturing 19-year accord that was never accepted by some.

The story is complex, but totally comprehensible. The direction of Martin Campbell and the editing keep the action moving and tight. This is not merely an action film; it's a tense drama about conflicting causes.
  • sjspol28 October 2017
    Exceeded Expectations
    I expected the movie to be a standard action movie with a weak plot. This movie surprised me on several levels. First the plot was above average for an action movie. Second, Jackie Chan turned in a subdued and very good character portrayal. Third,the movie was not the typical martial arts laden Jackie Chan performance. There were martial art scenes but they were not over done as in prior Chan movies. Supporting cast led by Pierce Brosnan were also very good. In summary, if your a fan of the action genre you will not be disappointed.
  • TheBigSick2 October 2017
    An absolutely stunning thriller
    The film "The Foreigner" is a truly brilliant thriller that holds your breath from the first minute to the last minute. You never know what will happen and have to stare on the screen all the time. The makeup, sound mixing, action choreography, and acting performances are all top-notch. Jackie Chan perhaps gives his career-best performances, both physically and emotionally.

More specifically, there are two disparate story lines in "The Foreigner". The first is an action line, where Quan(Jackie Chan) seeks revenge after the death of his daughter, and the second story line is a political one, in which Hennessy(Pierce Brosnan), a former IRA member, gets involved in a complicated conspiracy. The two story lines progress in parallel in an extremely fast pace, and converge from time to time. The directing is just amazing in the sense that such a complex story can be told in less than two hours. Some action fans might get confused when they find out that only half of the film is about action, but the political story line only adds to the complexity and depth of the film, making it more relevant to real life.

In one word, I would give the film a 9/10 rating.
  • rbrb6 October 2017
    Desperate Hours Meets Sunday Bloody Sunday
    This is a super engrossing action-thriller-drama.

An innocent child is the victim in a terrorist bomb but the perpetrators do not know of the desperate determination and grit of the victim's father.

There are two astonishing performances: first from Jackie Chan as the aggrieved father; and second from Pierce Brosnan as a suspicious and duplicitous politician.

Jackie Chan is outstanding as the grieving parent out for justice. And despite some action being of the kung fu variety that does not detract from a great show.

Pierce Brosnan is equally remarkable, displaying amazing realism in his portrayal of an Irish political leader.

This movie is highly recommended:

8/10.
  • autisticreviewers19 October 2017
    Autistic Reviewers Opinion Of This Movie.
    From the director of Casino Royale comes the movie starring Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan The Foreigner! Humble businessman with a buried past seeks Justice when his daughter is killed in an act of terrorism. His name is Quan Ngoc Minh (Jackie Chan). He will stop at nothing until everyone that was responsible is killed or brought down!

Jackie Chan real life is now 63 years old and for someone who is 63 years old he is still doing his own stunts and is able to carry the entire movie without any need of pointless CGI or stunt people. I know a lot of people will be disappointed due to the fact that the film relies heavily on it being a thriller and drama rather than an action film. There are still very many fight scenes in there the Jackie Chan fans will love but the whole point of the movie was Jackie Chan's loss of his daughter. Pierce Brosnan also gets a lot of screen time and his scenes are quite powerful. Not everyone will love it but it definitely just goes to prove the Jackie Chan still has enough juice left in him to do his own stunts! 3/5 stars
  • stevenclayalcander1 October 2017
    Best action movie with deep emotion and complex politics !
    When i saw this movie release in theater, i cant wait to watch this movie and i'm not disappointed at all. The movie starts with good background story, i can see the bonding between father and daughter, loving each other who are living in London, England. Then the tragic bombing happened, unfortunately Chan daughter was nearby and killed by that tragedy. Someone claim that was their deeds, and it is a terrorist attack. I feel really sad and sorry with Chan, i can see he is really suffered because of his loss. I'm so impressed with Chan acting in this movie, it seems he really does his role so deep and emotional. I can see Chan character who is broken, suffering, mysterious, have a dark past and loss his patience with the investigation which take a long time, because it involve some political issues with Ireland, who is in peace agreement with England. I think this is one of the best Chan acting performa in his entire career.

And one more who is really take this movie to be one of the best in 2017 is Pierce Brosnan. He acts as Liam Hennesy, someone who is an official government. The story then become more complex and slowly reveal the connection between Hennesy and the terrorist. At one point, i really love this movie because it not only pure action movie, but it gives you many political issues and problems. When it involve politics, everything becomes complicated.

At another point, this movie has a good story with deep emotional background story, and you can feel symphatic easily with those two main characters. They have their own reason for what they are doing, and it feels realistic and deep. The action is amazing too ! I think everyone already know with Chan success in acting movies. We can see Chan who is really skilled and dangerous, but already old and can out of stamina easily.

At last, i think all aspect in this movie is remarkable. The action movie with deep emotional story and complex political issues makes this movie really amazing. I recommend you to watch this movie asap, even if you watch it twice, i think it will still be exciting !
  • kashidomar30 September 2017
    Jackie Chan and another masterclass action providing thriller.....
    I have always been a superstitious fan of jackie chan...a kind of blind one i think...from the early age of my watching movie time i was thrilled by those action packed movies of him.and yet again he proved me right this time.This movie contains jackie chan..it is enough for me to say it a good film...but when i saw this i found besides him many crucial parts of it had to be watched and to be thinked for...the plot,the twists and turnes ...the music...all this adds to the flavour...I realized jackie is a small part of this fabulous movie....May be 30-40%...in maths..

This movie offers many aspects of sudden and chronic mind blowing thoughts and ideas..so thrilling...so executive and the movie build up is so progressive that it pulls u into it. As the movie starts with a simple londonian buisenessman, accelerates with the death of his beloved daughter,rides with the truth revealing actions full of terrorism, buried past and a British government official. The movie gently will be blended with u...will generate a storm in ur brain....will particularly play with ur thoughts and at the end will toy ur perceptions.

The movie moves on dynamically towards a thrilling climax...touchy one as well..acting is u know will be always excellent with jackie chan...but others also have done well including pierce brosnan.... Good to see him in a very good form after a time i can say...the actions are also eye soothing....u can not ignore those when jackie is around ...can u ??????

such movie should not be missed.....never say no to this one....never.......
  • Michael Ledo22 October 2017
    I have no family
    In London, the UDI blows up a British Bank which kills the last family member of Quan (Jackie Chan). Quan suspects the First Minister of Ireland (Pierce Bronson) knows the identity of the bombers. He will not stop until he gets them.

We get some background information on Quan at about an hour into the film as well as confirmation of the clues scattered about. This was a serious role for Jackie Chan playing a 61 year old Rambo. While the plot was fairly simple, the story kept me engaged, even knowing where it going.

Guide: F-word. Implied sex. No nudity.
  • Christopher Simmons16 October 2017
    As a Jackie Chan movie it's great, as a thriller with action it's even better.
    I knew ahead of time going in this movie was more about the story that it was Jackie beating the crap out of goons (which I personally love to see). Both Jackie and Pierce did very well in the respective roles, Pierce's malice really shined through in the story while Jackie's dramatic acting was very believable and really helped immersion. I was impressed by the actions scenes as they were fitting and not ill placed. Everyone added to the storyline and wasn't throw in there to just to give us action. Even though this doesn't fit the standard role we usually see Mr. Chan in, he really brings depth to a story that could have been shallow. If you're debating it, don't just watch it.