User Reviews (532)

• rob o'cop26 August 2015
    Big Dumb America
    Hilariously dumb and manipulative, it's entertaining on that level alone, although scary in that it's so boarder line that you can't be sure the movie was made with tongue anywhere near cheek, I'm inclined to think not. That this movie is serious, that America needs to feel like a scared kitten rescued by a big stack of muscles. That stack of muscles is Dwayne Johnson and it's hard not to love him. He's kinda good in this, I like him, even when he's part of this manipulative propaganda. The special effects were nice. it kinda flowed, sort of, I guess, lots of plot holes but why bother looking for them when the iq level they're aiming this at is so low you're not supposed to notice. The cheesy flag at the end gives you another good piece of cheese to choke on. If we're going to go down we might as well go down stupid.
  • otter-stl11 October 2015
    What did everyone expect? It's a disaster movie!
    I read some of the reviews here and am wondering what all the negative reviewers expected. Who didn't know this was a huge, costly disaster movie? Who didn't know there were going to be many unbelievable scenes? Who didn't know there would be some cheesy dialogue?

Well, I, for one, enjoyed it. The last good disaster movie I saw was The Towering Inferno, and you know that was a long, long time ago. It's still my favorite disaster flick. San Andreas, of course, had much better special effects. (several decades later, better effects, right?) I thought the scenes of the destruction were amazing.

We all know disaster movies usually focus on a handful of people in it and this one was no different. The movie was entertaining for me. I hope it is for you, too. :)
  • kenneyken-9484912 August 2015
    Wow.
    This movie is absolutely terrible.

Imagine melting a 4kg ball of Edam, a 12kg slab of cheddar and 47 cases of mozzarella, it still wouldn't be anywhere near as cheesy as this piece of drivel.

I was dragged along to see it and for the entire time I sat there wondering if this was some kind of sick joke I wasn't in on.

The effects were decent but lets be honest, which movie doesn't have decent effects nowadays? The acting is absolutely horrific, the rock has the acting ability of a disabled fox and I wanted the two English toff kids to die every time they appeared on the screen.

The girl in it, although very attractive, has the personality of a sprout.

Bah! if anyone offers to watch this movie in your presence please punch them in the face.

The ending where the rock says something like "now we rebuild" and the American flag unfurls in the wind made me want to spew my popcorn all over the cinema floor.

Avoid at all costs.
  • Justin Firestone11 July 2015
    Disastrous
    My first experience in the UltraScreen®DLX with massive screen, Dreamlounger™ leather reserved recliners, and Dolby Atmos immersive sound with bass you can feel (it's true), was none other than to see San Andreas. If you haven't been following my reviews this summer, my goal is to review all of the summer blockbusters on cheap movie days for $5.

My first surprise was that the seats are reserved. You get to pick your seat, although there were few left to choose from when I arrived. The second surprise was that the chairs are power recliners, so you just push a button and wham you go back and your legs go up. The third surprise was a smell I hadn't smelled in years, not since junior high locker room. It was a mix of people who don't like to shower, don't like to wash their gym clothes, and wet tile. Then a nice young couple who dry humped the whole movie sat next to me and at least she was wearing a strong perfume that mostly covered up the smell.

But I digress. What about this disaster movie? It features a family (that apparently has no last name, at least not that I ever learned, nor is there any last name listed for them in the credits, so I will call them Family #1), a pretty family, an upper-middle-class family that is going through a rather benign divorce and Emma causes trouble immediately because she is moving in with a richy rich dude (who has a last name, because he's Daniel Riddick), a thoroughly loathsome man incapable of love except for buildings.

Ray is solid as a rock, he's something sturdy, like a real man, someone you can cling to or hold on to no matter what. He loves his daughter, Blake, very much, because he blames himself for the death of his other daughter, whom we eventually learn died while rafting. You see, Ray is a professional rescue-chopper pilot, so the death of his daughter is as much personal as it was a professional blunder.

The main problem with this disaster movie is that Family #1 is split in two groups, and there is no real belief that any of them will ever actually die, although San Andreas does feature Blake enduring the longest non-death sequence I've ever seen. In better disaster movies, like the original Poseidon Adventure (it's unfortunate that I have to clarify the "original" Poseidon Adventure) the protagonists are traipsing and shambling through the disaster together, and they drop like flies until the very end, when only a handful of the worthy and fortunate survive.

The acting in San Andreas isn't bad, and it's not good. It's extremely okay. Poor Paul Giamatti, who seems typecast as himself these days.

Things blow up, collapse, and fall apart real good. The special effects are pretty amazing and realistic. It's nice to see so many Californians perish as a precursor to the Great Water Wars of 2016. In fact, even though Ray is a civil servant responsible for saving lives, he tries to fly the chopper from L.A. to San Francisco to save his daughter instead of trying to save anyone in Los Angeles or elsewhere along the way. He _does_, however, trade a stolen pickup for directions to an airfield, which I suppose is a fair trade and shows he's a Really Good Guy.

There is a bit of adventure. Ray commandeers trains and boats and planes. Well, no trains. That would've been pretty cool to drive a train through an earthquake. A simple oversight, I suppose. Nevertheless, I sensed the feeling of excitement at the thought of being in a real disaster, stealing whatever vehicles were around to go wherever I wanted. And it's nice to see a lot of chopper scenes in a movie. There should be more chopper scenes in every movie.

Forget the millions of Californians who died or were dying along the way. All we care about are a handful of pretty, well-off people trying to survive the worst earthquake in human history. We rarely see anyone die, because they get swooped up or down or crushed. No bones, no blood, no limbs flying everywhere. It's pretty WASPish death, as people disappear in clouds of dust, never to be seen or heard from again.

Despite all the Californian death and destruction, Americans can be jingoistically proud to see a final flowing flag confirming we are the best nation-state on Earth, and we will rebuild it all for the next disaster.
  • spookysully26 August 2015
    Rehashed crap.
    This was one of the worst examples of Hollywood smearing money on something until a room full of idiots gives texted approvals.

A brave, muscle bound man rescues his soon to be ex-wife, who just happens to be marrying a real Snidley McWhiplash billionaire played by one of the dingus's from fantastic 4... by commandeering a coastguard helicopter and basically doing whatever the hell he wants with it which apparently is to fly over literally millions and millions of people in immediate need of rescue to save his wife and daughter. Both of which are horribly cast, plastic coated Californians lounging poolside and enjoying the finer things in life and then... Disaster strikes! There is no connection with these characters and you just don't care if they live or die, I was hoping for the latter in every case.

Oh, and there's the "expert" quoting countless geologists from the discovery channel who conveniently and of course, narrowly escapes death dozens of times only to unfailingly "know" what's about to happen, sadly, just after it happens.

This is a perfect example of Hollywood, being Hollywood and should be avoided by anyone who's been hollywooded before, which is anyone watching this kind of crap over the last several decades. I would have given it a 0 but IMDb, sadly doesn't give that option.
  • Claudio Carvalho3 January 2016
    Lame Story, Great Special Effects
    In Los Angeles, the Fire Department Air Rescue pilot Raymond "Ray" Gaines (Dwayne Johnson) will drive his daughter Blake (Alexandra Daddario) to San Francisco since she has joined the university. He is divorcing from his wife Emma (Carla Gugino) that intends to move in together with her wealthy boyfriend Daniel Riddick (Ioan Gruffudd). Meanwhile the researchers Dr. Lawrence Hayes (Paul Giamatti) and Dr. Kim Park (Will Yun Lee) from the Caltech travel to a dam to check their seismic studies and there is a strong earthquake collapsing the dam that kills Kim. Lawrence discovers that the San Andreas Fault is moving and will cause a huge earthquake in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Ray needs to travel to help the victims from the dam and Daniel offers to take Blake to San Francisco since he has a meeting in the city. Daniel brings Blake to his office and while waiting for him, she befriends the British architect Ben Taylor (Hugo Johnstone-Burt) and his younger brother Ollie Taylor (Art Parkinson). When Ray is flying to the dam, there is an earthquake in Los Angeles and he rescues Emma. When the earthquake reaches San Francisco, Daniel escapes with Blake to his limousine but the building collapses and she is trapped inside the car. Daniel flees from the building and leaves Blake behind. Blake succeeds in contacting her father but the cell phone dies. What will happen to her?

"San Andreas" is a popcorn disaster movie, a genre that was usual in the 70's, but with state-of-art special effects. Unfortunately, the lame and corny story is ridiculous. Ray uses the helicopter to rescue his wife and daughter and destroy it. He steals a pickup truck; an airplane from the hangar; and a boat to save his daughter apparently with no consequences. His ex-wife Emma resolves all her issues with Ray in the middle of the chaos. There is no cell phone, but the fixed-line telephone works perfectly despite the destruction and havoc. Blake, Ben and Ollie save the film. There is a tsunami and Ray drives the motor boat in the middle of the debris and possible survivors as if he were in a race. In the end, love is beautiful! My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Terremoto: A Falha de San Andreas"("Earthquake: The San Andreas Fault")
  • amianaby25 September 2015
    Great disaster movie
    This movie is first for Californians then for blinder than bat people.

The first scene with the subaru and the blonde thats Topanga and Auzsa canyon, yes they do crumble and they do eff people up, thats just "normal"

San Andreas fault and Hayward Fault are about to go off any day now..itll be 9.0+ so more or less what you see in the movie can turn into reality, not as bad but bad enough...

so for us CALIFORNIANS that live in SF bay area we feel and understand this movie, basically an EXAGGERATED example to wake people up and give them an idea of how bad could it get, so we kinda know what will happen and if you lucky to stay alive what should we do, i cant believe how much production and work went into bringing idea as such on screen and gotta say they did a good job, because if you use your brain its too much details to capture and bring together, most people who rate this bad are just ungrateful clowns...this movie is not easy to make unless you are delusional from your couch as many people are.

I LOVED it on the screen in reality i hope it never happens here but we all know its just matter of time.
  • Danny_G133 November 2015
    "Well that escalated quickly"
    Opening scene - girl driving - 30 seconds later she's hanging off a revine, her car ready to plunge into the abyss.

This movie is relentless - it is a hard-core disaster movie with almost zero characterisation and 100% action-driven chaos with Hollywood's CGI department on overdrive.

And it makes absolutely no apology for this - nor should it.

The fireworks kick in from the start and never let up - buildings tumble, tsunamis flood, and heroic Dwayne Johnson, amusingly invulnerable to any form of damage (the man doesn't suffer a scratch), does his level best to save the day as a well-placed search and rescue veteran.

Sure the water effects are a bit unconvincing (Hollywood still doesn't seem to know how to create convincing white froth - it always looks like what it often actually is; smoke) and there's no real need for a 'villain' in the story, but who cares.

This is Hollywood at its blockbuster best. A brainless loud thrillfest which engages the senses (if not the mind) throughout.

Enjoy it for what it is. If you're watching it, you know what to expect.
  • Larry Silverstein1 November 2015
    Special Effects Are Spectacular-But Dialogue & Storyline Hokey As Heck
    I'm usually all in for disaster flicks, and the special effects in this one are spectacular (Colin Strause). There's an excellent cast as well, led by Dwayne Johnson and Carla Gugino with good support form Alexandra Daddario, Paul Giamatti, and Hugo Johnstone-Burt. However, I hope you're not expecting any earth shattering (no pun intended) dialogue or storyline, because the filmmakers here have taken every plot cliché and hokey line of dialogue and thrown it into this movie.

All in all, this film, directed by Brad Peyton, with a screenplay from Carlton Cuse, is just an escape filled with one tension packed scene after another, but don't be surprised if you find yourself unintentionally laughing out loud with some of the cheesy dialogue and plot elements.