• rgkarim6 October 2017
    The Mixture Between Us
    The mighty majestic mountains that line the world. These monolithic displays of nature are icons for so many forms of expression such as poetry, video game stages, and yes even movies. Such symbolism is perfect to craft such an obstruction for heroes to face, all while teaching valuable lessons. And thus leads me to my next review, on a movie that centers on the immobile giants that watch over the world. The Mountain Between Us is the name of the film and its trailers have certainly stirred up a storm in the world of reviews. Robbie K here hoping to guide you through the mess to help guide your viewing pleasures.

LIKES:

The acting: Like the mountains they are stuck in, the lead actors in this movie are giants themselves, displaying their talents to high levels. Idris Elba once more blows my mind out how well he executes his roles. He sells the suffering surgeon well, playing the internalization well and the survivalist even more. Kate Winslet as ever brings her character to life, taking the fiery spirit she has within, and unleashing it in a manner that is wild, yet honed as the movie progresses. The two certainly have the portrayal of suffering down pat (they can really shiver) but on many levels they play well off each other, especially in the beginning.

The Dog: While not the main human actor, the dog is by far the character I cared about the most. This animal, while of course like many of his canine brethren, was cute to me and impressive in the work it had to do. Trekking through the show, climbing mountains, and a variety of other things the dog certainly caught my eye for much of the screen. In addition, because I'm a big animal fan, the dog was the character that kept me engaged in the film. Every scene transition, or new challenge I couldn't help, but think "What happened to the dog." That component is perhaps the biggest hooking element in the movie to keep you into the film. What is its fate? Can't tell you, you'll have to watch.

The Scenery: While it is no substitute for the real thing, The Mountain Between Us is a great example of stunning camera work. My breath was taken away by all the panoramic shots of the wilderness from the ever expanding sky in the peaks, to the silent wonder of the forest littering the valleys below. It brings out the deadly force that mother nature holds and stunned me by the majesty of the visual prowess cameras can pick up. So while it is again not the same thing as hiking these majestic peaks, it is the next best thing.

DISLIKES:

Diluted Suspense: If you are like me, the trailers might have you believe this was going to be the most suspenseful movie of the year. Unfortunately, I was fooled again. This film has some moments that got my anxiety building, but a majority of it is an almost peaceful trek through the snow. While they are certainly cold, our character's journey through the frozen wastelands lacked many elements to build up the intensity. Perhaps the lack of a cinematic score, or the fact that obstacles seemed cleared too easily thanks to convenience, this movies frozen fury was almost a little too fragile for me. Or maybe it was the other focus of the movie that downgraded the suspense for me…

The Love Theme: Yes, just like the symbolic title suggests, the main wedge is the character's backstories preventing them from moving to the obvious sign of starting a romance. Much of the film tries to get the two to address their rather quick development of passion for one another in some rather lackluster ways. I wasn't sold on the romance for the most part, and the actors themselves didn't seem quite charmed by each other outside of one rather pointless scene. The friendship factor at the beginning was much stronger, and would have been the route I had taken in developing the story. Again, I don't necessarily hate love, but I would like it better portrayed for my investment.

Disproportion: Timing the movie, as good geeks do, it took only 8 minutes to get up on the mountain. While I appreciate the fast pace, it gave little time to get to know the characters or at least give them a decent introduction to the madness about to be had. This opening was rather shallow and quite disappointing in the grand scheme of the movie. Yet it's not quite as bad as the dragged out ending of this film. While not as long as Return of The King, and all its false exits, The Mountain Between Us sort fizzles out in the end. This tangent was not necessary, a quick closure to try and tidy up some loose ends of a weaker component of the film. Worst off, the chemistry started to falter, making this an awkward mess with a rather cheesy, albeit poetic, ending. Not sure why these last 25 minutes needed to exist, but it could have been better spent in the beginning and end of the movie.

The VERDICT:

The Mountain Between Us is a beautiful spectacle of what the world can provide in terms of a stage, certainly blowing my mind on the visuals. Alongside this majestic scenery comes some quality acting and a hooking factor in the form of the dog. Yet these tools alone couldn't save this movie from being semi-dull. With the tension dropped to a PG level for symbolism and awkward love, alongside disproportioned parts, I can't say this movie delivered all I wanted. The visuals might be the main theater worthy component, but this reviewer suggests holding out for RedBox to catch it.

My Scores:

Action/Adventure/Drama: 6.5 Movie Overall: 5.5
  • travishouze6 October 2017
    Like Any "Mountain", It Just Feels Unmovable
    Some films have left me speechless. Not simply because their execution was unlike anything I've seen in the past, or opened my eyes to a story so insane thinking someone came up with this idea, but speechless cause there's so little to say about it as the film doesn't ask any new or interesting questions. The Mountain Between Us is that kind of film despite having 2 very talented actors I respect in this romantic drama.

The story begins with Idris Elba as a doctor rushing to Baltimore for surgery and Kate Winslet off to get married to her fiancé and they agree to work together to get to their destinations. However, their plane crashes into the middle of the mountains and leaves them stranded with only a golden retriever and their wits to find shelter and keep one another from falling apart.

Kate and Idris both give committed performances even through the harsh weather conditions displayed. The cinematographer sets up some pretty beautiful shots of the mountains and the scale and distance the actors are from any form of civilization so that was something I appreciated in a post "every month a CGI fest blockbuster" world. Sadly the compliments end here.

What kills the film is it's SO UTTERLY PREDICTABLE. If you have seen any romantic film ever, you know what will happen. The dialogue is void of any psychological questions of dealing with a stranger alone for weeks despite the film feels like it's only 6 days tops. Not as viewer did I feel they went through harsh conditions as Kate's hair the entire time looked freshly curled.

The Mountain Between Us on the trailer felt what could have been a solid survival film, but instead got a corny and sometimes boring romantic drama. Outside of one genuine jump scare that truly surprised me, the film just feels lost in trying to be a romantic movie and survival movie at the same time with very little chemistry to weave them together.
  • Alan16 October 2017
    Not great, not horrible
    Not a totally horrible movie, but not great. I can't say much more than has already been said, but there were some errors the size of a Mack truck in this movie that have not been pointed out.

1. There is a storm severe enough to cause commercial airplanes to be grounded, yet a small private plane can fly.

2. Alex is getting married the next day, Ben is doing surgery the next day, yet they are both across the country.

3. Conveniently for the plot, the pilot doesn't file a flight plan.

4. The plane crashes in the mountains, yet the passengers survive with minor injuries. I'll forgive this one, only because without it, the movie would be ten minutes long.

5. The damsel in distress injures her leg, and conveniently, Ben is a surgeon.

6. They crash in the Rocky Mountains at an altitude that's above timberline, at the end of December, without proper clothing and food, and don't die of hypothermia.

7. Alex tells Ben to use her camera with a telephoto lens to get a close up view around them. It is a rangefinder camera, and thus the viewfinder doesn't enlarge the view.

8. Ben slides several hundred feet down a snow slope, and is stopped by hitting a conveniently placed low rock ridge which stops him from going over a cliff, yet doesn't break both his legs.

9. Alex falls through ice into a stream, yet is not carried downstream so that Ben can fish her out.

10. They finally find a cabin, which was built and furnished (including a piano) with no road near it.

11. Ben steps in a bear trap. It's possible that a trapper neglected to pick up the trap, but not likely. Bears are hibernating that time of the year.

On the plus side, there is adventure, romance, and some fantastic scenery. And a dog that steals the show.
  • jdesando10 October 2017
    Gorgeous cinematography and a cute dog.
    Two factors save The Mountain Between Us from romantic oblivion: Breathtaking cinematography (Mandy Walker) and two fine actors, Idris Elba as Ben and Kate Winslet as Alex. They are lost in the cold snow somewhere in the mountains of Idaho or Colorado after a small plane accident, but fortunately he's a neurosurgeon and she's a plucky photographer. Lucky about his medical skills.

If Nicholas Sparks could do lost in the snow, then he could have written this rather trite and predictable romance. Why wouldn't they fall in love with no one else around and such attractive people to boot? That they both are vulnerable becomes obvious; that they will fall in love is a given of the genre and maybe of survival itself when there's no one else around.

Lest I forget, a lovable dog also is a tie to bind. To be fair, director Hany Abu-Assad and his writers J.Mills Goodloe and Chris Weitz keep the real romance from happening through at least half the film. During that blessed time we can enjoy the spectacle and the survival techniques. Always with the thought of what we would do in those circumstances.

More outrageous than the clichéd circumstance is the fact that she needs medical help consistently where he just needs it toward the end. Why then does the old trope of the damsel in distress come to mind? Why not,in a film shameless with tear jerking.

He just lost his wife, and she doesn't seem overly joyed about her impending wedding and her husband, Mark (Dermot Mulroney). So you know what's going to happen right to the end.

I am happy to see Canada so beautifully captured on the screen. As for me, I felt captured in a melodramatic survival story from which I needed rescue.
  • merril44420 October 2017
    Better than I was expecting....
    I really enjoyed this movie. The cinematography was absolutely stunning & the two leads were well played. I bought into the story & left the cinema with a smile on my face. A girl could drown in Idris Elba's eyes!

I don't understand the terrible reviews on IMDb. The acting was not terrible, nor was the story-line. Critics seem to expect a romantic survival film to be somehow cerebral. Most movies are just regurgitated ideas, so the hate here is undeserved in my opinion. Maybe these are the same reviewers that thought La La Land deserved all those Oscars? Now there was a boring movie! Don't get me started....!

Don't believe the highbrow critics here. Grab your besties & have an enjoyable night out at the movies.
  • neil-hargreaves22 October 2017
    Unbearable unconvincing and indefensible
    When I left the cinema after enduring this film my thoughts immediately turned to IMDb and what kind of response it would have had on this site.

I imagined that (like myself) there would be floods of complaints about the wooden acting, the ease at which the main characters just sauntered through their 'ordeal' as though they were just nipping to the shops for a pint and a dozen eggs, and thought that it would be universally hated.

I read one review today that said this was the worst movie they'd seen in the last thirty years.

Well I sat through Dads Army, I just about managed to stay awake during the Absolutely Fabulous movie but even those two flops were more convincing than this film.

What is supposed to be a high drama survival movie is a bland, dull, uninspiring walk through the snow for an hour and half. Even the moments of peril are dealt with in as short a time as possible with no fear or risk involved whatsoever.

The romance is unconvincing to me. Before anything happened between our two lead characters I was thinking to myself that these guys clearly didn't like each other at all during the filming of this movie. There was little to no chemistry, the acting was woeful (from two of movies finest actors supposedly) and it all just seemed tired and as if nobody on the set wanted to be there.

The story's climax isn't a climax at all. It's just a sudden give-up on what had come before.

I have to agree with the chap who said they'd not seen worse in a long long time. This was most definitely the weakest of all the movies I've seen in years. My advice to anyone considering it is as always go and make your own mind up. But don't say I didn't warn you.
  • beawriting7 October 2017
    Don't Listen to Bad Reviews
    I was very excited to hear about this movie and made it the date night movie for the week. For those calling this a slow movie, it is that because this is a character piece, not an action film. This is not even about romance to me, but more how in a bad situation two people find out who they really are and overcome their fears. These fears are not about the snow, FYI. The director does not spoon feed the plot to you, he expects you to be intelligent enough to get it. Both actors did an amazing job of emoting with their body language and facial expressions. I do not think the other proposed actors could have pulled off this nuanced performance
  • Thomas Drufke7 October 2017
    What a Waste
    I think we've been pretty spoiled with great survival movies in recent years. 127 Hours, Gravity, The Revenant, Lone Survivor, or even Mad Max have given us a keen sense of a perilous journey with an emotionally satisfying finale. It seems like we get a great one every year, but The Mountain Between Us just the opposite. It uses the setting and climate to produce cheap drama and dialogue that feels like something out of a lifetime movie. With award winning actors in Idris Elba and Kate Winslet, it's hard to believe that there's little chemistry between the two. But I guess that's what happens when the script is poorly constructed.

Usually it's beneficial to get to know characters before putting them in a life-threatening position, that way you actually feel for them when put in horrific circumstances. One second we're in the airport following Kate Winslet and Idris Elba in the airport as they separately try and and book a new flight during a heavy snowstorm, and under 5 minutes later, they are on a private plane together fighting through the wintry forces. It all just happens way too fast. After seeing the entire film, I'm glad there isn't any more to the runtime, but perhaps if there was more time spent setting the characters up, I could have enjoyed some of the interplay between them later on.

However, as I said before, the dialogue doesn't help the situation at all. When all you have is two actors, a bunch of snow, and a beautiful labrador, there's not a whole lot you can do creatively. Yet, there are movies that have done more with less. And when you don't have a ton of chemistry with your leads, your instinct would be as a director to give the dog some screen time, and the lab certainly gets that. Being a dog person, and with thinly written characters, I cared way more about the dog's whereabouts than I did whether or not Kate Winslet would drown in a pond of ice. That sounds harsh, but it's true, there's just not a lot of meaningful depth given to Winslet or Elba's characters.

Can you guess what may unfold when a man and a woman are stranded together for weeks on a mountain top? Yep, eventual romantic feelings are expressed and it's just as forced as you can imagine. As if i wasn't already disliking the movie at that point, that was the final nail in the coffin. Really, the only redeemable aspect to this film is the beautiful labrador making the trek along with the actors, and a pretty impressive crash sequence (technically). Other than that, this will go down as one of the more forgettable films (that had promise) of the last few years.

3.3/10
  • loreal37 October 2017
    Great acting great story
    Two strangers meet under unusual circumstances. This movie is beautifully acted and filmed. I think the casting for this was perfect and makes the movie work really well. Some may complain about the pacing of the film, that is one of the things I enjoyed most about the film. It gives you a chance to settle into the movie and get to know the characters, without being bored. The characters are different and their differences are well played out and described, then you see a shift and this is what makes this a really really good movie and a remarkable love story.
  • avtiger6 October 2017
    A really bad film.
    This ridiculous film was unmistakingly one of the worst films i've seen in 30 years! Kate Winslett needs to return to acting school, she just isn't very convincing. Here are these two souls who end up in the snowy, blizzard mountains due to a plane crash and never once did i hear either of them say "I'm cold". They prance thru the snow so easily and of course as time goes on they began to give each other goo goo gah gah looks like teenage heart throbs. It appears it's extremely cold yet they can hardly wait to jump in the sack. I could hardly wait for this Clunker to be finished. PLease do not waste your time on this film....it's absolutely horrible!
  • sjoye-4239114 October 2017
    WOW! What an Amazing Movie
    Rarely do I find myself so moved by a movie. So I was pleasantly surprised. This movie offered a lot for adults that enjoy great acting, amazing cinematography, and scripts that make us think about what it means to live, love, fear, and overcome the seemingly impossible. I found myself mesmerized by the chemistry between the two main characters and how they experienced different feelings while being present in the exact same circumstance. It's an incredibly compelling story. I don't think a love story of this kind has ever been made. As far as the bad reviews go, I'm convinced that most of the people writing bad reviews and giving low ratings, NEVER saw the movie and have an agenda. Do you remember how people reacted to the infamous interracial Cheerios commercial? Well the same thing is happening here. The truth is that the movie is excellent and should be nominated for Best Picture. I'd even see it again. The ending is one of the best I have seen.
  • lecoco-1999716 October 2017
    Rubbish
    This would have to be one of the worst movies I think I have ever seen !!!! Especially notable for its bad acting, terrible plot/story line. I think the dog played a better part than either Kate or Idris! and I used to be a fan of both. Very sad really. Not even the cinematography could salvage this production.
  • oddball-1571617 November 2017
    Beautiful Scenery
    Other than the scenery and the dog this movie is horrible, almost unbearable. The plot is so far-fetched it's silly. It's one of those movies that you know how it will end 5 minutes into it. I left thinking I'd wasted $23.00. Like another reviewer posted the river scene could have never happened. The sex scene in the cabin (the two hadn't had a bath or running water in how many days) almost sickening. Other than the dog and the scenery this movie doesn't have one redeeming quality.
  • Sally Warner13 October 2017
    Gripping
    It is a beautifully filmed movie with actors who really can act. I found it enthralling and inspiring. A tough movie to make with all that snow and ice. Well done Kate and Idris for creating something that felt real and convincing with a dog who helped and who also had to wander through snow and ice.
  • RockChild7 October 2017
    Very, very bad...
    Once again black male white girl... Come On Hollywood! enough is enough... instead of sending "messages" like this one, Hollywood should take care of making good films. The Mountain Between Us is so predictable, acting by Idris Elba and Kate Winslet is weak and even picture, in a movie filmed between mountains, is not relevant. In summary, poor script for a very stupid film. Not recommended!
  • cruise016 October 2017
    Could have been suspenseful of a survival and love story but it fails with a terrible script and direction.
    A survival romantic film about two plane crash survivors that have to find their way home in the snowy mountains could have been a whole lot better. The Mountain Between Us lacks in about everything from character developments to even making the characters interesting. The thrills of surviving was very dull in the movie. And the last half of the film spending it with the two leads following in love with each other was just terrible.

No offense to Kate Winslet and Idris Elba for being in such a terrible film. They both are great actors and they work with what they got in the script. Kate is a beautiful stunning actress. And Idris Elba is a talented actor. There characters were nonetheless boring and uninteresting. Kate plays photojournalist Alex, who is suppose to get married and is trying to find a flight home (the day before the wedding). And than you have Dr. Ben played by Idris Elba, who needed to find a flight asap for an operation that he needed to be there for. Both desperate people got caught with their flights being cancelled. And they find a pilot that can fly them home without filing a flight plan. Then, an incident causes there plane to go down and crash in the snowy mountains. With limited food supply and no help coming. They both will need each other to survive and to find their way home.

The direction was boring. There was no suspense build up. The scene with the plane crashing was dull and did not make it intense at all. The dangers with the characters coming across a cougar was boring. The whole film was just frustrating with Kate and Idris bickering at each other. Idris telling her they need to stay put and take it slow. And Kate running out there and wanting to find help. It's a movie were you see two characters hike in the long snowy mountain telling and reminding each other what they need to do for survival. And discussing about possibly dying. It can get boring when this is going on for the whole movie. Were the entire script is wasted with poor dialogue and no development. Occasionally, seeing Kate getting into trouble and Elba coming to the rescue repetitively.

Also, the music score from Ramin Djawadi was slightly disappointing and did not add anything to the movie. Then, the predictableness with the characters falling in love with each comes to play which is hands down frustrating and terrible. These characters are apparently been stranded for three weeks but when watching the movie they felt like they been stuck out there for a day or two.

When it comes to the conclusion, the film slows down and takes forever to find an ending. Which some scenes could have been trimmed down that did not do anything to the plot or development. Besides seeing two characters chase each other cause there not sure if there in love or not.

Overall, The Mountain Between Us is a terrible film. Kate Winslet and Idris Elba are the saving grace with their acting. But there characters are not. The direction is dull and tedious. The love story is frustrating and cliché. Not even the sappy kind of love story either.

I rate the film 2 out of 5 stars. I do not recommend to see on the big screen, there is no excitement and no real suspense. If you want to see, I ll wait until it's a rental.
  • nick-895939 October 2017
    No sleigh-ride here
    I suppose one goes to the cinema with the anticipation that ones disbelief will need to be switched off, at least for some aspects of the story. But here we asked to believe that two people and a dog survive a major air crash in the Rocky Mountains in January. The crash is graphic in its detail that, somehow, first the tail is knocked off, then a wing, before the remains slide to a halt on a convenient plateau, with petrol dripping from somewhere. I'm afraid that lazy direction pervades the film throughout, with countless more examples at every feeble plot twist. Nothing is too difficult, everything easily achieved, we are left wondering why we should bother watching to the end as, clearly, the three will make it home, overcoming the slight and predictable odds against them on the way. There was one dismally artificial twist just before redemption, involving a bear-trap, that highlighted the desperation of the writers and director to inject a little tension. The only actor that was not sleepwalking through the film was the dog(s), Beau Bridges cameo at the start was just bad, and it went downhill from there. There was no tension or chemistry between Idris Elba and Kate Winslet, the script and direction gave them no leads as to how to ramp up their dynamic. They might just as well have been cardboard cut-outs set up in front of the truly magnificent scenery. I went hoping to have an evening's entertainment in the company of two great actors, sadly they were on part throttle and the director had his foot firmly on the brake.
  • sulemanbacha27 December 2017
    Worst Movie I've Ever Watched
    Total waste of time. I think how the actors agrees these kind of plots and stories. Perhaps they dont there movies after they shoot, otherwise they would have known. The only good thing about the whole movies is the landscape. In all the movie, despite all the hardships, the dog seems to be quite indifferent to the whole scenario. He doesnt seem to be affected by the snow and cold while the others were on the verge of collapse. I dont recommend the movie. Only wastage of time. Two fancy actors in a movie doesn't always mean that it will be worth watching.
  • ngtyjj7 October 2017
    a love story born from the struggle to survive
    Nothing like a fight for survival under extreme conditions to bring two very different characters (and actors) together. Elba and Winslet were phenomenal! It is a testament to an excellent script, superb actors and a commitment for all involved to have produced this moving love story. "The Mountain Between Us" was beautifully balanced between the growing love of Ben and Alex and the suspenseful action necessary for their harrowing circumstances. What an epic tale told against the most beautiful (and treacherous) backdrop imaginable! It is well worth seeing in the theaters.
  • Craig James Review (on Youtube)6 October 2017
    Nice cinematography, but cold romance.
    Your plane crashes down in the wilderness and your only hope for survival is the passenger sitting next to you. Will you survive? Chances are if "The Mountain Between Us" was your in-flight movie, you're already off to a rocky start.

Idris Elba is a surgeon and Kate Winslet is a woman desperate to make her wedding. When their flight is canceled they both charter a private plane only to be marooned in the Utah Wilderness after admittedly what is a heart-stopping plane crash.

With very little food and Winslet's leg injured, there's numerous things that could plague both these people and without question the first thirty minutes are the strongest, especially when considering wildlife hunting for food.

Winslet going all Liam Neeson in "The Grey" is interesting on its own.

The breathtaking view of the snowy mountain wilderness surrounding them on all sides is something to behold as well and the cinematography couldn't be any better.

Just at one point these two will have to start moving if they want to survive and while both are great actors, watching them walk in the snow for more than an hour feels like we're the ones trapped and in need of rescue.

He's dubbed as the logical one, she is the one wiling to put it all on the line for survival. Funny how the one dimensional characterizations their given are just enough to tell us that one probably won't survive without the other.

Otherwise their basically in a movie based solely on the worst of romance novel clichés. You can see her mentally undressing him with her eyes even as she appears to be freezing to death. Later there's a cheeseball sex scene in front of a roaring fire.

And if that's not enough, the last act seems to be more interested in whether these two will fall in love than whether or not they survive, which I guess would placate the romance novel fans if by this point the movie had bothered to forge any kind of connection between the two characters other than sob stories and minor sob backstory.

Plus the last time a survival story involving ice, cheesy romance, and Kate Winslet came into play, it did not turn out well for her signicant other so I started to worry for Elba's safety just a bit. Whispers "she likes to hog things".

So I go 5 out of 10. If you guys liked this, check out Craig James Capsule Reviews on Youtube for more.
  • Victoria Devloo26 October 2017
    Pretty good
    Although it is quite predictable, i must say this was a quite nice afternoon movie. I hadn't any expectations, but i wasn't bored. Keeps you on the edge of your seat, are they going to make it?

I would have given the movie a solid 7 but the excellent ending made it a steady 8.
  • mattkruper8 October 2017
    The Mountain Between Us- Great Movie! Don't listen to bad reviews...
    There has been a lot of bad reviews about this movie, but I really don't understand why. In my opinion, this was one of the best movies I've seen this year. It's for everybody. There's action, drama, adventure, romance, and more. The film was emotional, and was exciting to watch. When Ben was sliding down the mountain and nearly died, or when Alex leaves the plane to go for what she believes, all was interesting to watch. Don't listen to the bad reviews. The only thing about the movie was the beginning was a little fast paced, but the rest was fabulous. I recommend this movie.
  • comps-784-3826515 October 2017
    A Film With A Mountain of Plot Holes
    Whilst most of us are fortunate enough to have not experienced a plane crash

Many of us have been camping and general living out doors. So we know, in a relatively short time, without washing amenities etc, you get a bit grubby.

So by the time Elba & Winslet are getting all amourous after 3 weeks living in the wreckage it is truly remarkable how clean and hygienic they were

Another wonder was the amazing mountain views and Elba's perfectly choiffered beard. Truly remarkable beard, always perfect in every scene, it must be guaranteed plane crash proof

Another, in a long list of recent films, illustrating how stunning views and cinematography are not a substitute for a good script.

Would I watch it again? Naa ! 5/10
  • dermobreen15 October 2017
    "Alive Actually"
    "Alive Actually" would have been a better title for this film as it is both a survival thriller in the vein of Alive and a love story à la Love Actually. It's a thriller/chick-flick – a strange mish-mash of genres that actually works.

Director Hany Abu-Assad brings us the story of two strangers (Ben, played by Idris Elba and Alex, played by Kate Winslet) who, after surviving a plane crash in the snow- covered Colorado Rockies must forge a connection to survive the extreme elements. When they realise help is not coming, they are forced to embark on a perilous journey across the wilderness while learning about themselves and each other along the way.

Based on a book by Charles Martin, this film fails to bring the realities of either aspect: survival and romance, to a satisfying conclusion. The romantic element is predictable and leaves no surprises. The survivalist aspects bring some suspense and wince-out- loud moments, there is never a feeling of dread or that they might not make it. What I found interesting, from a psychological aspect is how such an experience might draw to people together, akin to Stockholm Syndrome. Because the characters are very two-dimensional, I found myself trying to understand their motivation and what might draw them together other than a basic need to support each other. Both Kate and Idris give it everything they've got but the chemistry is not there.

The other thing that concerned me with the film was the sense of time. We are told that three weeks have gone by but it only feels like three days. Plus Kate's hair is perfectly curled every morning.

The only positive note in this tired trope-filled movie is that they did not eat the dog.

Wait for it to come on TV.

2 out of 5
  • dmartin-910388 October 2017
    Outstanding Performance
    What a great film! This movie kept me on the edge of my seat. Both Idris & Kate we're fantastic together. They did a phenomenal job! The chemistry made the mountain between us, come alive. It's so original. A love story for the history books. I would definitely recommend this & might even go see it again! Cheers to the director, Kate & Idris.