User Reviews (1,708)

• Tony15 February 2018
    Alien died a long time ago, nothing to see here, move along.
    Alien would rate as one of my top ten films, bear in mind I have some Western, Mob, Comedy and other Sci-Fi in there. I watched Aliens and thought that was great, it took the story to a new level, brilliant sequel. Then came Alien 3 and you knew there's nothing new, its just a brand now, put it out with this name people will buy it. Watched Covenant hoping they'd resurrected the corpse, they buried it even deeper. If you've seen the first two Alien films you'll hate this, if you can actually start from this and be interested you'll be OK. Because you can work your way back to the originals and enjoy the best made with less money and CGI. They knew how to make movies in the old days :-)
  • DBLurker15 February 2018
    Even Prometheus wasn't this bad..
    You know, I can write a long review detailing the brain cells I lost while watching this pile of turd, but... OK, how about a multiple choice question instead? Those are fun.

OK, here it goes..

-----------------------------------------------------------

Traveling through the uncharted space, you and your crew of TOP scientific and politically correct minds, come across an alien planet. You decide to explore this planet which you've never heard of, never even seen or done any tests on. What do you do?

A) Use the UAV's to recon the world, collect data (air, soil, whatever) from the comfort of your ship out in the space. Make sure the place doesn't have any hostile life forms or diseases that can wipe you and your crew out. When done with the tests, you send in a small team in protective suits and proper shielded helmets on a small shuttle. BUT, even then, you send in the rovers out first, or the drones, to survey ahead. Only after all that you let your team step out of the shuttle and begin exploring.

OR

B) Take majority of your crew in the space shuttle down to the surface of the alient planet while wearing casual clothes with no protective gear, not even helmets. You and your team is now ready to explore the world armed with humor, womyn power, faith in god and guns.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you picked B, congrats, Ridley Scott will soon give you a call to pen the sequel of Alien: Covenant. B is also basically when you realize, this movie is going to be a bigger sh-itshow than Prometheus.

Enough said.
  • Richard Alex Jenkins13 February 2018
    Battlefield Earth Meets Its Match, OMG
    I'm can't believe I fell for this yet again! Still believing that Ridley Scott has an a amazing Alien film left in him after the utterly dreadful Prometheus and the swift decline of Alien quality since Aliens in 1986. What on earth is going on, and why is this man still directing films in 201x? I'm so angry at myself for falling for it AGAIN!

It's absolutely mind-blowingly bad and does nothing more than milk the Alien name for the benefit of all those involved.

The best way to describe this film is a scene near the end when the captain of the ship disobeys the instruction of the android not to shoot the alien specimen, but riddles it with bullets instead. Great! The captain then commands the android to stand down, only for the android to whisk itself away and get the captain to follow it for some strange reason (that Michael Fassbender is a charming fellow, you know). It's still mildly plausible at this point, except when they enter into a room filled with alien cocoons on the ground, and the previously untrustworthy android tells our captain not to worry about his impending doom, but to take a closer look inside the egg! Are you kidding me? What do you think happens to our captain, hmmm? Any guesses?

This total disrespect for us as brain-dead viewers is the most offensive thing of all and not acceptable in any way, or to use the 'Alien' brand to draw us into watching utter crap like this. But for some reason there are still idiots like me who cling to the name in the hope of something decent one day. Why? This franchise is 20-years dead, and Ridley Scott... you got me again. I'm so angry.

So it's my fault, your fault, and all of our collective faults for watching this pile of utter crap, and for still respecting the Alien franchise and Ridley Scott as a director.
  • tstudstrup10 February 2018
    Much better than Prometheus
    Hear me out. I hate Prometheus. I absolutely hate it. And I still hate Ridley Scott for abusing his power in Hollywood to prevent Neil Blomkamp from making his direct sequel to Aliens.

That having been said, Alien Covenant (despite being a sequel to the shitty Prometheus, only loved by wannabe-intellectual movie snobs, who hate Aliens and the whole franchise) is actually a good movie. Possibly Ridley Scotts first good movie since his original Alien. I am not a fan of Scotts movies. Except from Body of lies (which is more because I used to be a Leo fan) and Thelma and Louise, the man has made nothing but shitty movies. Including Gladiator and Blade Runner.

However this movie cater to us fans that love Aliens. Despite the arrogant Scott denouncing Camerons masterpiece as well as all the other Alien sequels.

This movie has the Xenomorphs, it has gory deaths, excellent special effects and great action. And it can be seen without having to suffer through Prometheus. It works as a stand alone movie, despite being a sequel.

What it does lack is memorable characters making smart decisions. And that is just not good enough from Scott of all people. He should know better when he acts like a spoiled little boy who wont share his favorite toy (Alien) and wont recognize that other boys has bigger toys (talent) than him.

We all know and love Ripley, Hicks, Hudson, Vasquez and Bishop in Aliens. In Covenant however, I cant remember a single characters name, nor did I care when they died horribly. Which means that Cameron way back in 1986, was a better director than Scott. And still would be if he stopped making those shitty Avatar sequels and returned to dark gritty violent scifi.

The reason Covenant, only gets 4 stars, is because of Scotts arrogance. Which is shown when there is no alien queen. And the aliens themselves are "man" made. Or actually made by a synthetic, who has gone psycho. This is retarded. As well as the flute scene with two synthetics and the homo erotic kiss. Despite these things this movie is still much better than the abomination Alien 3. And the best alien movie since Alien 4.

If you havent seen Prometheus and you just dont expect too much, Covenant is an enjoyable R-rated violent scifi movie, which is nice to see when all we get these years are PG13 superhero movies.
  • prranjal-shrivaastav10 February 2018
    Can you even imagine a movie as revolutionary and brilliant as Avataar?
    If not then you can't remake James Cameron's Alien either, it's that simple. I don't waste my money on "look-alike"s, so i usually i never "watch-n-suffer" such movies in theater.
  • dominicd8 February 2018
    Just What Was "The Deal?"
    First things first, as defined: cov·e·nant n. 'k?v?n?nt .. "an agreement, undertaking, commitment, guarantee, warrant, pledge, promise, bond, indenture; pact, deal, settlement, arrangement, understanding .." is the underscored title of this latest entry in the Alien franchise with 'Walter' the unexpected, if not consummate antagonist. Which brings into question just what is/was the "covenant?"

At first blush one could construe the title as somewhat arbitrary however it appears that this entry seems to settle where the franchise has gone to creating a universe that is abstract as it is metaphysical.

Harken back to what is to recently "be believed" and in review of 'Covenant' it appears that the message of life itself and that of it's creator has "no soul." Any parallels to the preceding and that of the epic genesis of all this is not worthy of the former, for it is here, and in this tale the 'thesis' crumbles or in this opinion, fails in its delivery of an arrangement. As the 6.x rating is for all intents and purposes generous.
  • fdinuk-151375 February 2018
    A lesson to humans
    One day humans will also be an endangered species because of human actions. As the movie says if we are kind, others will be kind to us. I would categorize this movie as a lesson to the humans, not as an alien movie.
  • airtongomesdelima4 February 2018
    So many technical failures.
    There are so many technical failures that I can not count. As if in good conscience someone enters an alien plant without mapping the terrain, then without biological protection and if 10 years ago they had flying robots capable of mapping anything and now do not have a decent communication system?
  • Sharon Halstead3 February 2018
    Last Alien movie I'll watch
    I MUCH prefer the exquisite suspense and feeling of dread of the first and second in the series. They showed minimal gore (save for the infamous dining room scene) and left a lot to the viewer's imagination. This was gratuitously violent and gory plus boringly predictable as I could see the ending coming halfway through it. The production quality is good but the characters were undeveloped as well as many being too stupid to breath, especially Billy Crudup as the ship's captain. This ship was on a long-planned mission to transport over 2,000 onboard souls to colonize an already chosen new planet. Then they get a random holographic transmission and the captain decides to scrap the existing plan and follow the transmission to it's origin because it might be a better planet for them. Why is never answered and it turns out to be a very bad choice indeed. To wrap it up, reading tells me Ridley Scott is planning one more prequel called Covenant 2 but I'm signing off the franchise as this left me feeling mighty peevy over how far from the wonderful beginning Scott has drifted. What a shame.
  • alexandregatineau30 January 2018
    Why Ridley, why...
    You're looking at an alien movie with a 6.5 rating on imdb: you know something's wrong.

This was the movie to save the questionable choices of Prometheus. And they failed, all that could go wrong went wrong.

The cast is forgettable at best, I get it it's an horror sci-fi movie, people are going to die so don't bother with them but still. I don't even remember a single character name.

The engineers, ah finally! Answers! Nope, Fassbender wipes an entire civilization (of super advanced aliens who might have created the human kind) with an airstrike. They seemed defenseless, weak and expandable. No answers, they're dead.

Something I liked was the ear contamination thing and the quite cool birth of the first alien hybrid in the ship. The scene was well done, gross, stressful... I'll give you that. After that, the movies goes downward.

For instance, David said he created the perfect creature talking about the whole egg, facehugger and alien thing. No, no you didn't. The ear spore infection was way more effective and the alien that came out was pretty fast and dangerous!

Not going to list all the bad things but it's basically a horror movie. A bland, empty horror movie, where people remove AGAIN their helmets and get in trouble. They have to stick together but they freak out, blow their ship and of course, split in a dark scary place. If I'm not mistaken, one chick goes to take a shower after they all almost died and they're surrounded by dead engineers.

I could make a more intellectual review, about the acting, the music, the visuals (pretty cool actually) but to be honest it's not worth it. It's a bad horror movie that, like Prometheus, shouldn't be linked to the alien franchise.
  • Brooke Jones29 January 2018
    If you love the Alien franchise, don't see this
    This was filled with cliches to the point where it made me wonder if Ridley Scott thinks we the people are stupid. I don't know if I'll bother seeing the next Alien movie. If theyre all going to be the same plot as the original, I don't want to waste my money.
  • kule9029 January 2018
    Story 0, acting 4, effects 7
    I hate movies when I IN MIDDLE OF WATCHING KNOW HOW IT WILL END UP. Movies are not only special effects.
  • Eric_Cubed29 January 2018
    Tell the truth or forever hold your peace
    The producers, directors and writers cannot seem to comprehend that the camaraderie dynamics that made the first two alien movies so relatably simple do not exist in the same way 25 years later. In the first alien, Brett and Parker, in perfect 70's gestalt, were perfectly cast and written to embody the working class familiarity of that particular blue collar time period--think car wash blues by Jim Croce and you will get the sentiment. Their unforgivable mistake was trying to duplicate the zeitgeist of yore for now. It just doesn't exist anymore, and the character "Tennessee," in complete pathetic abandon, trying to be the African American actress on the movie, "The Abyss" (Kimberly Scott) is about the most fake and phony attempt at recapturing the authenticity of the original I can possibly imagine. That James Cameron was able to do this elucidates his savvy, or perhaps even his genius, for he knew the developmental process of the conceivers of the new alien series were as important as considering as the passage of time itself; if the gatekeepers were not self-aware, they would only repeat the past through the lens of their own relative, reminiscent memories. This is why George Lucas failed on every level with Star Wars. He didn't understand that while the same basic mythological narratives remained timelessly true, the contemporary context and dynamic of cultural change still had to be woven into it all. Many of us are perplexed by these new movies, whose predecessors we magically related to. In these new movies, we immediately have no intrinsic relatableness to any of the characters; they feel one-dimension and plastic, forced upon the scene like hungry ghosts of what once worked but what can never work again. This is how the lack of humility and ego of the original creators sin--they disparage the passion of the original for the bleached forgone longings of their own selfish and repressed nostalgia. It's like how the Republicans wish for Norman Rockwell. That time is over--and perhaps never even existed--and, in trying to repair the unrepairable, the wishful depraved child hopes to recreate the childhood he never had, but should have had. And worse, they have completely forgotten what made the first two movies so timelessly awesome, and that was their dedication and conviction to the human condition in the context of hypersleep and deep space travel--that human being are exceptionally fragile and vulnerable, and therefore, say, contagion protocols must be enforced as the highest priority. In Prometheus they gleefully take off their helmets and try to lovingly caress the alien appendage. In Covenant, they practically plaster their faces onto the alien spores. Stupid, stupid, stupid, and why Prometheus (three stars) is only a little bit worse than Covenant (5 stars). These idiots made the same mistake with "The Thing" remake. The original story of The Thing was about men, masculinity, isolation and paranoia of the other, a metaphor for the cold war and the fear even your best friend could be something other than what he reveals himself to be. It was like remaking Thelma and Louise with two men experiencing the travails of the metoo movement. STUPID! How about a remake of Mississippi Burning about the trials and tribulations of sensitive white artists living in South Dakota? Why, why are they so inept? It's so simple and obvious to me. The old Ripley isn't the new Ripley. Kurt Russell cannot be replaced by a woman, no matter how great of an actress or beautiful she is. This is not sexist, it's the intention of the original story. How about a sequel to Fried Green Tomatoes featuring a bunch of male facebook stock holders? I just don't get it, all those millions upon millions upon millions of dollars, only to make at best a ghostly bi-product of what made the original so glorious. Perhaps in the end it is pure cowardice. Those with untold millions just trying to crunch the numbers and follow a formula in order to create the best probability for a return, as though they were real estate agents. The thing is, they are not real estate agents--they are the gatekeepers of our culture, and sadly, like the massive foreign investors and one percenters eating up our precious neighborhoods with mini-apartments, lego like candyland dehumanizing structures and organizations and establishments catering to the hollow, empty soullessness of viral tech invaders, only let us all down. Perhaps this is a rambling diatribe--or perhaps it is an all too real warning. Where shall we be in twenty years? In Fifty? Shall the aristocracy reign supreme, as they have tried to do so, for timeless immorium, under the guise of conservitism? Shall we let them continue to use PC as a fascist call for conformity and censorship? Or shall we, through the power of the arts, the power of the movies, stop the egregious affront before it's too late? Are you with me?
  • Ersbel Oraph28 January 2018
    Visually stunning christian propaganda
    This is a fundamentalist christian movie well dressed in a sci fi theme. The elements of the previous Alien movies are there, but the story is about "If you created me, who created you?" And the scenes are nice if one is there to enjoy the ride. Any trace of critical thinking makes the playing cards castle fall.

Just like the christian god who knows everything past and future created man only to be duped by the man, the civilization that gave such an advanced ship has created a very complex android just for the feeble minded script writer to have a human on scene. Of course, the human is evil, as it is not the god created thing.

Or take the scene when everything seems to fall apart. The is a sarcophagus in which there is fire. Talking about cheap replacements for an important technology. But, those are the evils of capitalism and profits. And what does the crew do? Gather axes (!), probably high tech laser ones, to break the space travel sarcophagus. And to open it for what? To spread the fire? Do they have the technology to save the poor individual burning inside? No. But who cares! The crew was hand picked for hysteria in order to deliver another apocalyptic script.
  • Callum McColgan26 January 2018
    A tale of two movies
    "No one will ever understand the lonely perfection of my dreams."

(Contains heavy spoilers)

Alien Covenant is a mess. A beautiful, glorious mess stuck between a desire to return to the straightforward effectiveness of the original classic, while also reaching for something deeper and contemplative. The result is a slightly awkward mish-mash between the two that I can't help but strangely admire for how fascinating it all is.

In terms of structure, there's not much in the way of surprises in Covenant's story - the crew of a civilian vessel (in this case, a colony ship) pick up a mysterious distress call, they follow it, find it's source, search the planet, then a character says "I'll be right back" and you know things are about to hit the fan. However, the competent, if flawed, plot disguises a set of themes which appear to be reaching to be something different from what the Alien franchise has previously delivered.

This is perfectly captured in the cold opening, by far the strongest scene in the film, which shows Peter Weyland testing his then-new David android. The scene is rich in the sort of poetic imagery Ridley Scott has always been so good at conjuring, the dialogue laced with intriguing themes of creation, purpose and AI sentience (if perhaps a touch pretentious, but at least it's trying). I came away rather disappointed with Covenant on my first viewing, perhaps because this opening scene promised something the rest of the film never really delivered. For all of its aspirations of grandeur, it's curious to note how the most effective moment in Covenant doesn't come from the aliens or the impeccable production design, but a simple moment of hesitation from David when Weyland asks for tea.

Regardless, the first two acts here are executed with verve and punch, despite the oft-mentioned daftness of the character's actions. There is a disappointing lack of depth in this film's characterization - Waterson turns in an excellent performance that matches Weaver's original, but otherwise most of the characters seem to serve little other purpose than to be meaty punching bags for the alien scenes (which, to be fair, pack some rather unexpected jolts that managed to shock even me). Where the film really shines is in Fassbender's riveting performance.

David is such a fantastic character - a modern recreation of Milton's Satan: as charming as he is despicable (the script even makes a few nods towards Paradise Lost in the dialogue), yet somehow always intriguing. I can't recall the last time I saw such a perfect marrying of actor to character as this one - Fassbender manages to take the smallest cues and turn them into crucial character beats, which carries through to the chilling horror of the movie's closing scene. His obsession with creation becomes a focal point of the film's second act, and while some may find these scenes pretentiously written, they're also the most interesting parts of the film, where the writers are trying to add an extra layer to the conventional storyline. This culminates in Covenant's obligatory chestburster scene - it's such a bizarrely framed moment that I can't help but smile wryly at whenever I see it. Who could've guessed that the most moving part of this film could be something that's usually portrayed as horrifying?

Sadly, the third act is where Covenant struggles to bring these many ideas together into a coherent whole. Rather than trying to properly link the heady themes with the down-to-earth grime of the previous Alien films, the film instead spirals out into a chaotic series of gory action scenes and a rather predictable finale, saved entirely by the ending itself, which turns the 'last survivor' cliche on its head somewhat and points towards an ambiguous future for the series.

On the whole, I can't deny that Alien Covenant is a bit of a mess - both of the main story threads would work fine on their own, yet here they're competing for space, resulting in a film that's not so much poorly made as it is missing something vital in its emotional core. At the same time, there are moments of sheer brilliance (the medbay and grass attack scenes being some of the terrifying cold-sweat moments I've seen in a film) and occasional majesty (such as David's arrival on the alien planet) that manage to elevate it beyond just being another boilerplate entry in the Alien series.

It may not match up to the first two movies, or quite up to Prometheus, but I found Alien Covenant to be possibly the most fascinating entry in the series, despite, or indeed maybe because, of its flaws and conflicted identity. I have no idea what Ridley Scott could possibly be intending to conclude this series, but I still can't wait to find out...
  • dannyinformal26 January 2018
    A stain on Alien's legacy.
    Where to start?

Let's make a few educated assumptions first;

A. We can all agree that the Covenant crew were highly educated, intelligent individuals since they carried responsibility for over two thousand colonists. B. The colonists' survival was paramount and would have been the number one priority throughout their whole endeavour. C. Walter, was a physically improved version of David

Now that we've established this, quite a few scenario's stop making sense.

SPOILERS AHEAD

The crew's stupidity When the Covenant's crew discover this new planet and decide to check it out, they exit their ships without any protective gear; no helmets, not protective suits, nothing. Even if the atmospheric scans didn't show any signs of imminent danger, does this seem like a decision highly intelligent people in charge of a human colony would make? To stroll out of their ship, onto a new world with an unknown ecosystem without any precautions? It doesn't, does it?

Once having egressed their vehicle, the planet quickly showed signs of past life; the wheat at first and the massive structure a bit later. How come the lack of any discernible living organism never rang a bell? Wouldn't that simple fact put anyone remotely sane on high alert? What about the hundreds of humanoids that were obviously victims of a disaster?

Then, of course, we have the idiot that isolated himself to take two puffs of a cigarette; just enough to get infected by the spores and go back to the biologist taking samples. One could argue he took some distance in order not to compromise the scene, but it wouldn't be a solid argument.

Then we have Oram, arguably the most stupid individual ever written by anyone. When he finds David standing in front of the Alien that had just brutally decapitated a crew member and asks him to move, he refused. Not only did David bask in awe at the sight of the beast that had already viciously murdered more than one crew mate, he also cried in agony when Oram unloaded his rifle on it.

A sane person would've shot David through the head after that. Not Oram, no. Apparently his stupidity had not reached the intended climax yet, for he lowered his gun and promptly followed David when he asked him to join him in his creepy cellar. Upon entering this cave like space Oram was confronted with the classic face-hugger eggs. With visible disgust in his eyes his approach was careful, until David told him it was "perfectly safe" of course.

Sure, trust a synthetic that had nearly lost his mind when you killed an unknown organism that had devoured your crew member. Why not?

He closed in on an egg and when it opened he practically stuck his face in it.

The perfect organism The first question that popped into mind when seeing the classic eggs was: "Why do these even exist?" Wasn't David trying to perfect the Alien life form? Why then did his genetic modifications complicate the insemination and gestation? If you remember, two crew members were infected by spores secreted by small, nigh invisible egg-shaped organisms or fungi not long after having touched down on the planet. Doesn't this seem a much more efficient way of inseminating human organisms, rather than having large, obviously disquieting eggs produce an organism that must impregnate you orally? It doesn't make any sense.

As a long-time fan of the Alien series, I feel this film should be disregarded as a whole. The horrible writing and worse directing makes it frustrating to watch.

Films and stories in general, needn't be realistic. But they do need to respect the reality they're set in.

Ridley Scott should take the back seat; even David Fincher was able to create a more believable universe with the highly underrated Alien 3.

What a damn shame.
  • djalimba25 January 2018
    A good recipe for failure
    Disappointing continuation of this franchise for several reasons. But lets start with the good bits, I liked the scenery of the movie, the characters were playing really well, and it had some nice twists. The Bad bits are the total ignorance of the intelligence of the viewer, and the fact that most of the movie is a sequence of bad choices. Arguably as a thriller needs to have a few bad choices by the characters where needed, but definitely not the easy solution in order to continue the plot. The lack of intelligence of most of the enemies was badly received as well. Lastly it was lacking the atmosphere and the superior tension the original created, the fact that now we can have better CGI doesn't mean that we need to take out the mystery and the agony from a movie.
  • southaussie23 January 2018
    Wow what a shit movie
    Watched it half way through and fell asleep.Typical chick flick. No guns, just over dramatised drama. Horrible.
  • nilen-5157323 January 2018
    It started out well, but I got bored when a large part of the characters started doing stupid things.
    I am not a big Alien fan, but I had a go watching this. I think it started out well, but I lost intrest and started looking at my phone during the movie( this is something I rarily do. I am easy absorbed into a movie). The turning point for me was when they had landed on the planet and two in theri crew started geting sick. I feel that almost every character in this movie are making stupid decisions and geting themself killed. This include: -Lets walk around on this new planet which we dont know anything about very uncarefully and smell at strange plants. -Lets trust this strange robot we found on this planet. Especially when we know he is hidding something and follow him into his basement and look at his large eggs. Also not get suspicus when he cuts his hair so he looks exactly as our own robot. -Splitt up at the temple when we know that a monster can be out to kill us. -When we get back to the ship, not quarantine every person that was on that planet and scan them, even though we know that some persons got a alien bursting out of their stomach.
  • vlatko-6895523 January 2018
    Grate movie
    Prometheus.. Covenant.. Man I can't get enough of it. What I find very impressive about this movie, is that when u look at events from other perspective it is actually possible that in similar way "God" was created and he created another life forms. Even today it is not pure science fiction to imagine mankind going to Mars and seeding life there, combine that with some genetic manipulation and u get some new civilization there or some types of life, and for them we are Gods, dictating their lives. Sorry for my rusty English, but I just can't stand bad ratings and comments some low minded people leave here.
  • Raymond22 January 2018
    Liked this much more than Prometheus
    I'm a huge fan of the old Alien movies pt 1-3 especially, even 4. Where as I could say that I as much as hated Prometheus, I actually liked this latest Alien movie. I wasn't sure what to expect anymore, but I was positively surprised.

Prometheus was a mess. It had too many themes added into a single movie (might've worked better as a tv series). It had too many and too dumb characters and none of them was very likable. A lot of things happened way too conveniently. The soundtrack was totally inappropriate, it belonged to a whole different movie. There was no suspense at all, everything was rushed.

Covenant surprisingly gets pretty much all of these things right, or atleast does a lot better. The cast is small enough to be manageable with the time given and they are much more likeable this time around. The soundtrack is more fitting and suspenseful (similar to the original Alien, altho it does feature the horrible Prometheus theme). Locations are nicer to look at and really awe-inspiring. The story doesn't try to cover quite as much this time, but continues the creator theme. My only gripe is probably that some things don't seem to get proper attention (if you consider what the crew actually finds), but this was a problem with Prometheus also.

I had to force myself to re-watch Prometheus for the second time before watching Covenant. I had to make sure I didn't miss anything crucial first time around or that I just didn't watch it on a bad day. Well, I didn't, I think I liked it even less the second time around. But I'm seriously considering watching Alien: Covenant second time within the 48 hrs the rental is watchable.

Alien: Covenant isn't a perfect movie, but it is highly enjoyable, moody sci-fi horror.
  • archaeotypetw21 January 2018
    Such High Hopes after Prometheus
    Ridley Scott has gotten into the habit of killing off key characters between films. He did it to Newt and Corporal Hicks in Aliens, and now he's done it to Dr. Shaw from Prometheus.

Alien: Covenant could have been such a good movie. I really liked Prometheus and I thought Covenant would answer a whole bunch of decades old questions like where did the Aliens come from. In a sense, Covenant does answer those questions, but it's a shame that it's not a very good movie.

Shouldn't be surprised though - the Alien series has been very up and down. A few of the movies have been great, but some have been real dogs. I wouldn't call Covenant a dog, but it's a close all.

At the end of Prometheus, Shaw and David's head take off in one of the Mesomorphic Aliens' ships to go find out where they came from. In Covenant, a Colonization vessel picks up a stray transmission (where have we seen that before?). The signal originates on an uncharted planet that's suitable for human settlement and it's only a matter days off their course.The captain decides to send down a landing party. Of course, the transmission was from Shaw.

After they land, the landing party finds evidence that someone was there before them and of course all hell breaks loose. Turns out, that this is the home planet of the Mesomorphic aliens and David and Dr. Shaw made it there safely.

David has been a very naughty robot. He actually used Dr. Shaw in his own perverse experiments to create the perfect alien predator. He also destroyed the entire native population of the alien world. Even David's new and improved brother Walter, who's travelling with the colonists, can't stop him.

Scott doesn't bother to explain how Shaw was able to fix David when his head was completely torn from his body. At least we find out where the Aliens came from though.

One by one the crew members from the Covenant are wiped out. Even Walter is apparently destroyed by David although we don't know for sure that he's dead. Maybe he'll chase down David in the next installment.

I figured out that David was impersonating Walter with 10 minutes left in the movie. At the end, David, still pretending to be Walter, tucks the one surviving crew member into her hibernation pod. Just before she drifts off into cryo sleep, she (can't even remember her name, that's how memorable the characters are) realizes that David has control over the ship, her, and the 2000+ colonists. The nightmare has begun.

While Alien Covenant does answer a few questions, it's a really disappointing movie.
  • gogoschka-121 January 2018
    Alien: Paradise Lost
    It seems that in 'Alien: Covenant', Ridley Scott and his writers tried to use the best loved elements from previous Alien installments to appease those fans of the franchise who hated 'Prometheus' - but perhaps also to camouflage their intention to make a far meaner and less conventional blockbuster than what modern audiences (and studios) are willing to accept in this age of superheroes. It was my impression that what on the surface appears to be a very straight forward - and some might even say derivative - retread of familiar story beats is actually just a ploy to delve even deeper into the themes explored in 'Prometheus'. Because 'Alien: Covenant' not only continues to "dissect" the creator/creation/creature dynamic: it brings the android David's storyline to its perverse, if somewhat logical, conclusion.

Now if you hated 'Prometheus', or just dismissed it as a dumb movie where most characters are stupid and nothing is explained or makes sense, you won't find much to like in the less conventional story elements in 'Alien: Covenant', and you might as well stop reading this review now (btw, if you still have questions about 'Prometheus', you'll find a link to an article explaining everything by clicking on my username). But if you DID like it - or at least found its maliciously ironic religious subtext and musings on creation fascinating - you'll probably find some aspects of 'Alien: Covenant' highly enjoyable. As you might recall, the cycle of creation depicted in 'Prometheus' goes as follows: the Gods (aka "the Engineers") create mankind - mankind creates David - David in turn starts to experiment on his creators (the humans) in order to create something new.

The totally insane - and hilariously mean spirited - continuation/escalation of that cycle in 'Alien: Covenant' (beware: spoilers abound for the whole movie follow): David's ambition to make the jump from creation to creator has grown exponentially; it now entails nothing less than to exterminate the Gods, as well as experimenting on them - which makes him kind of hard to top in the mad scientist (or mad killer robot) department. By killing the Gods, he, the unworthy machine and "2nd class" creation conquers "Paradise/Heaven" and becomes the sole creator (humans are degraded to the status of lab-rats), thereby closing the cycle started in 'Prometheus'.

Admittedly, the film is uneven in terms of story and pacing - but I admire its ambition. 'Alien: Covenant' is a fascinating hybrid which somehow halfway through its running time turns from relatively straight sci-fi and very familiar Alien terrain into a brooding, Gothic horror film (at least for a while before it turns back into a more conventional sci-fi/action film). In the Gothic part of the film, the man-made monster/creature (David) has turned the table and assumed the role of Dr. Frankenstein to make creatures of his own design. These creatures - who appear to be the first actual Xenomorphs - reflect and reveal who/what David really is and how deceiving his human looks are. For although he inherited some very human traits from his creator (emotions, curiosity, ego, the urge to create - among others) he is still a machine adhering to a logic that is ultimately as alien (pun intended) to a human being as the Xenomorph itself - and as lethal. Which is why it makes complete sense that David is the "designer" of this perfect, machine-like organism (Swiss artist H.R. Giger, who created the original Alien, called it "biomechanoid" for a reason).

In 'Alien: Covenant', David is the humans' - and humanity's - ultimate adversary; in fact, for the purpose of the story told in the film, he is the Devil (he even quotes Satan's famous lines from John Milton's epic poem 'Paradise Lost'). Now if the Devil in this tale were to create life in HIS own image (his REAL image - for David was only given human features to make interaction with him more "comfortable" for the humans), surely, he would create demons: and isn't the Xenomorph the ultimate demon sprung straight from the darkest pits of Hell? That 'Alien: Covenant' is essentially a riff on Milton's 'Paradise Lost' was the most surprising aspect of the film for me. David's story-line follows Satan's (quite literal) ascent to Heaven (Paradise), where he kills the Gods and starts his own rule, thus turning it into Hell and ending the age of man (and for those of you who think I'm reaching a little here: the film's title was originally supposed to be 'Alien: Paradise Lost'). Now regardless whether you liked the film or not, you have to admit: that's not exactly the texture of a generic, conventional blockbuster, right?

At the end of the film, David is aboard the spaceship Covenant - which he has turned into a perverted version of Noah's Arch - and travels to a new world where he plans to start his new version of Genesis. He might even start a new religion: the Bible as written by a mad killer robot with a god complex (just think about how crazy demented - and completely wonderful - that sounds). Imagine the Lovecraftian nightmare he will create and what creatures will populate "his" version of Earth. I would love a sequel to 'Alien: Covenant' to take us there and finally fully descend into madness. It would be the logical next step: after the human protagonists visited an angry god in 'Prometheus' who wanted to destroy humanity, and then discover that Heaven is empty and the Gods are all dead in 'Alien: Covenant', they should next visit the Devil in his newly created Hell. My suggestion for a title: 'Alien: Genesis'.

Favorite films: IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-Known Masterpieces: imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-Movies: imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
  • zhang wei21 January 2018
    Another Alien episode that compliments the Alien universe
    The film fills the gap between its predecessor Prometheus and the first Alien film. It reveals, to a large extend, the origin of Alien. Though Alien series are always rendered with intense graphical scenes, this film has added more mystery and horrific conspiracy. Shelley's poem renders the film a sense of arts and literature. It's my favourite part of the film.

I deeply appreciate the Alien universe Ridley Scott has created and leave its fans immense space to think, imagine and be inspired. I cant wait to see the next film in the franchise.
  • mfwcurran15 January 2018
    The art of screenwriting is dead... Long live mediocrity
    Alien: Covenant pretty much sums up what is wrong with Hollywood at the moment: it's a bankable franchise if you throw enough money at each movie, but it's also a dumping ground for weak story-telling. A younger Ridley Scott would have pored over each fault in the story-line/screenplay, discarding what doesn't seem logical but you can appreciate that those finer nuances of directing have gone the way of vitality. Who can blame him, really? This film is not a result of bad directing, but film-goers who will accept each movie like a slow death, ensuring 20th Century Fox skip on anything like common sense or treating their audience with having any intelligence. The film is, quite simply, illogical and dumb. The SFX are brilliant as you would expect these days, the acting is passable given the awful lines they have to deliver, and the directing is dining out on a meagre offering, that if you wanted to discard what doesn't work, you'd have to rewrite the whole mess. Is it entertaining? Well yes, but only if you leave your brain in a jar by the side of your bed and try not to think about it after. When you do it unravels. I mean, seriously? Aliens that turn from young to full adults in minutes? So many plot-holes you can drive a colony-ship through them. A crew that are so stupid, it makes the crew of the Nostromo look like Noble Peace Prize winners. Another psycho android that might have been interesting if it had been explained better. Just another opportunity jettisoned for unnecessary profanity (I mean, for fxxksake how much swearing was there in this film, that didn't add anything to character or wit, or anything for that matter). Given the screen time for characters there was naff-all characterisation. Even writing this, thinking about the movie, my head hurts. This is a film that contributes absolutely nothing to the series, to films in general, and I've reduced my stars from 6 to 5, because I'm being kind, and the soundtrack wasn't bad. Meh.