• kingjon-0890322 December 2017
    The Last Jedi is a Disgrace to Every Star Wars Film That Came Before It
    The Last Jedi is obsessed with the fallacious idea that in order to move forward you have to destroy everything that came before. It is as if someone walked into the Louvre and said "you guys need to stop holding onto the past," and then threw a torch down, cackling as hundreds of years of irreplaceable works of art burned to the ground, and then, standing triumphantly on the ashes, drew a smiley face.

In order to make room for the new characters to shine, Rian Johnson obliterates the character of Luke Skywalker to the point that Hamill himself couldn't recognize him; in the Original Trilogy Luke Skywalker transforms from a whiny farm boy into a hero who proclaims "I am a Jedi, like my father before me" and manages to do what both Yoda and Obi-Wan thought impossible: bring Darth Vader back to the light. In this film, Luke is tempted to murder his own nephew before he even did anything wrong simply because there is a chance he may turn to the dark side, but the worst thing is that after that rather than attempt to fix his mistake he falls into a pit of despair and hides on an island as his friends are slowly wiped out by the First Order. When Rey arrives he refuses to train her or help the resistance in any way (despite having made a map to his location in the previous film), until a strange out of character pyromaniac Yoda force ghost appears and tells him Rey is perfect already and also the extremely cliched line that "the greatest teacher, failure is." Luke is not the only wasted character from the Original Trilogy either: Chewbacca serves as nothing more than comic relief and Leia is incapacitated for most of the film after a strange Mary Poppins-esque stroll through outer space. Admiral Ackbar is killed so unceremoniously you barely even notice he dies.

The usage of the force in this film is wildly inconsistent with the previous films as well. First of all, force ghosts never were able to alter physical reality, yet in this film Yoda is able to bring lightning down from the sky, leading us to the question of why the force ghosts haven't just destroyed Snoke from their impenetrable positions in the netherworld. Leia is able to fly through outer space, and Snoke can force push people from across vast distances. Rey is able to lift multiple tons of boulders with apparent ease despite how difficult it was for Luke to make a single X-Wing in the Empire Strikes Back even budge. The force projection that Luke does at the end is actually interesting, but for some inexplicable reason they decide to make it kill him.

From a critical standpoint, the film is an incoherent mess. There is little to no character development and the plot is little more than a long, drawn out series of "gotcha" moments; we are treated like dogs, as Rian Johnson dangles delicious treats above us before rapidly yanking them away. In the climax of The Force Awakens Rey finds Luke and extends his lightsaber, but in The Last Jedi Luke merely throws the lightsaber over his shoulder. Leia is sucked into outer space, only to magically force fly back to safety. Luke agrees to train Rey, but then quits after only one pathetic training session. Finn is about to heroically save what's left of the resistance, but - surprise! - he is saved at the last minute by his awkward love interest. Snoke is the most powerful sith in any Star Wars movie ever, but is anticlimactically killed by a cheap trick. The entire first half of the movie leads us to believe Kylo Ren and Rey will join forces, but after Kylo Ren saves Rey - surprise! - they're not going to work together: Kylo Ren will remain the stereotypical bad guy and Rey the infallible heroine. Rian Johnson had a chance to actually do something original and daring in this respect, but instead chose to take the safe route.

The writing in this film is atrocious. Several lines are lifted verbatim from the Original Trilogy. The humor is out of place, overused, and sounds like they took the words of a heckler writing in the margins and thought they should actually put it in the movie (Star Wars meets Rocky Horror Picture Show). We are distracted by pointless subplots that are of no consequence. The new characters have no personality and sound like modern day buffoons who were simply transplanted into the Star Wars universe. There is so much wrong with it that you really just have to see it for yourself, although I would recommend not paying money for it.

In conclusion, The Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars movie ever made. It is heretical. It is the anti-Star Wars. It stinks.
  • zparadigm18 December 2017
    I remember when critics used to give bad reviews for mediocre scripts
    Lazy story writing and more plot-holes than an average movie experience. I just don't see anything bold about this story.

Lets see bad guys have new tech that has a single weakpoint? Check

Death Star related weapon? Check

New Heroes in safety bubble while everyone around them dies? Check

Cute aliens to sell toys? Check

Hoth like battle on sand instead of snow? Check

Space chase like episode 5... well not as exciting but Check

Ok now explain bombs that fall in space. Leia surviving space long enough to force pull back to the cruiser. Dj learning about the shuttles. Rose being portrayed as a strong female character, yet throws the survival of the resistance away for a fangirl love of Finn. Phasma was a complete waste. I enjoyed three moments in the film if I am being honest and the person next to me fell asleep in the middle and started snoring. When the movie ended no one clapped we all just sat there thinking WTF did we just watch.
  • zvelf-118 December 2017
    Why THE LAST JEDI is being rejected by fans
    I've read articles saying the THE LAST JEDI is being rejected by fans because the fan theories all turned out to be incorrect. That's wrong. THE LAST JEDI is being rejected because it didn't deal with any of the questions that THE FORCE AWAKENS spent so much time asking. Who are Rey's parents? It doesn't matter. Who is Snoke? Shrug. We're going to save Luke Skywalker until the last few seconds. Why? So he can spend almost the entirety of the next movie doing absolutely nothing.

Mark Hamill has said in interviews that he disagreed with Rian Johnson's take on Luke Skywalker, and THE LAST JEDI reveals that Hamill was spot on. Luke's reasoning in the film makes no sense. Even if he doesn't want to train any more Jedi, he should still want to stop the First Order and help his sister. One thing has nothing to do with the other. That Han Solo's death doesn't even motivate him is a betrayal of the original trilogy and everything those characters went through. If you're going to make a movie about Luke Skywalker, master Jedi Knight, something the entire original trilogy built to, don't you want to see what one of the greatest Jedi Knights can do?

Basically THE FORCE AWAKENS was to spotlight Han Solo and this movie was to spotlight Luke Skywalker, but this movie is about Luke doing nothing. Watching Luke do nothing for 90% of his screen time simply doesn't work as drama. What's even worse is we know that Luke will come around or else there would be no story. The original trilogy is about Luke leveling up. Now we should get the payoff, and the ending looks like it's going to give it to us, but then it does a bait and switch and it turns out Luke was never really there.

Think of how awesome the ending would be showing Luke tossing First Order walkers through the air? Giving Luke this kind of moment wasn't necessary specifically for this movie except that Johnson purposely had Luke do nothing instead. If you're going to do that, then you have to counterbalance Luke's inactivity with Luke doing a lot in the end, which he doesn't, and then he died, so that mean we won't ever get to see the culmination of Luke's Jedi training. What a wasted opportunity.
  • penny51416 December 2017
    I fundamentally ALSO disagree with every choice for Luke, just like Mark Hamill.
    To clarify before beginning my review, I'm a 34-year-old lifelong female fan (not a misogynistic racist fanboy as some people assume of those who are unimpressed with this movie's outcome). The characterization of Luke and some of the others was downright WRONG, especially to those of us who loved the OT. And let's be clear, I'm not an OT purist. I will defend Revenge of the Sith to my death. I watched the Force Awakens 5 times in theaters. I thought Rogue One was one of the best Star Wars movies ever.

But The Last Jedi? This movie broke me. Almost within the first five minutes, I knew this was not going to go well. Other reviewers are probably nailing all the fine details but for me, from the beginning, the writing was uninspired, shaky, and poor. The forced comedy and cheap one-liners all in place it simply DID not belong. Cutaways to the porgs, which I thought I would love and ended up being there purely for kids and merchandising options. Come on, Luke dusting off his shoulder? Throwing the saber over the cliff? And Hux, a character who was set up to be hard and terrifying, was made into a Three Stooges style punchline character almost. Poe was one-dimensional. Holdo was completely unnecessary and looked more like a citizen of the Hunger Games Capital than a character in SW. Finn and Rose's storyline could have been completely taken out. Boring, uninspired, and useless.

Kylo and Rey's storyline and their force bond was the only thing that interested me as I hung in there, waiting for some redeemable moment of the movie. I genuinely felt sure that Ben Solo would be redeemed. That is really the way it should have gone. But NOPE. Rian Johnson and company seemed way more determined to write a bunch of trash and twists just to be able to go "GOTCHA" to the audience. Well I don't like cheap tricks. There's a difference between good plot twists and bad ones. These were ALL bad, including Leia's sudden space walk many are compared to a Poppins like moment. The characterization and ending of Luke's life and some of the others was downright WRONG, especially to those of us who loved the OT.

This is the first Star Wars movie to ever have left me feeling so numb. By the end of the night, hours after we left the theater, I felt totally gutted and crestfallen to realize what the Star Wars sequels had become, because Rian Johnson had to "Age of Ultron" the series. Again, Kylo and Rey's storyline was the only thing of interest in this movie, and Rian even messed that up by the end. No chance of redemption now.

Well, no thanks to episode 9. I'm done seeing the franchise i love being butchered by Disney and their ever-growing greed taking over with no respect to the characters we love. This was the biggest disappointment of my life.
  • jonmit-8826920 December 2017
    Total Disaster: Not worth the paper the ticket was printed on
    As much as I wanted to love this movie, it utterly failed to deliver on so many levels. Disney, in all its previews, advertised the film as a serious epic focused on Luke, Rey, and Kylo Ren, with no doubt some appropriate comic relief as always. What they delivered was a farce-tripping over itself with excessive and ill-timed humor such that no scene could ever be taken seriously, even ones that were intended to be. That combined with frenetically paced scene transitions, too many new characters, and wasted sub-plots (casino scenes), meant the main story and characters were left undeveloped with few burning questions answered. The main premise, equivalent to a slow motion car chase with the First Order chasing the Resistance until they run out of fuel, was absolutely ridiculous. Perhaps most unforgivable of all was the treatment of Luke Skywalker. While initially promising, his diminished role and ultimate end were insulting to his character and inconsistent with everything we know about him. Shame on Rian Johnson.

In the end, Disney got lazy and knew that no matter what, they'd make a ton of money off people who want to see a huge lightsaber fight and lots of space battles with big special effects. They forgot that lots of people actually like movies that, on top of all that, are written and produced with enough thought and care so as to not appear like a fifth-grade homework assignment put together 30 minutes before it was due.

Not worth the paper the ticket was printed on.
  • gotton201314 December 2017
    Over 8 stars... for this?
    After seeing the unbelievable rating of this movie, I have never felt further removed from the average Star Wars fan.

I wasn't a fan of The Force Awakens, feeling it was derivative of previous Star Wars movies. But, in spite of my distaste for the movie, I understood what there was that people liked about it. It was nostalgic to see old faces. Rey, Finn, BB8 and Po were each likeable characters that I felt worthy of leading future movies. The action and effects were excellent. There were hints that we were going to see more with the force in future movies. Most of all there was promise. Therefore, yes, I get how people can see that movie in a different light to how I see it.

But this? I just don't get it.

The Last Jedi was so tedious that were it not a Star Wars movie, I would have walked out of the cinema within an hour. I'm not talking about a slow burn here, I speak of unrelenting tedium and mediocrity. There are fundamental problems at the story level that made it impossible to get hooked by this movie and should have been fixed long before it went into production. The pace was glacial, and when things finally happened, they were anticlimactic at best.

Talking of fundamental problems at pre-production levels, why don't we talk about the script. Not only is the story underdeveloped and poorly plotted, but the dialogue is attrocious. When it's not being cheesy and cringe worthy, it is more wooden and unbelievable than even what we saw in the prequel movies. There was cheese in the original trilogy dialogue, but it was earned off the back of powerful characters, great performances and other genuinely inspired lines.

Being as there are such strong problems with the story and script then, it is hard to hold the actors at fault for the lack lustre performances in this movie. All of the acting fell flat in The Last Jedi. None of the emotion (what litlte there was) felt real to me, and as such I just didn't feel any steaks to get me hooked.

*** Now we move into serious spoiler territory... you've been warned. ***

I am not an editor, but even I could easily cut a third off this movie with a single paragraph. If when Po first confronted the admiral about her plan she had simply explained it, Finn's entire storyline could have been cut from the movie and they would have ended in the same place. Finn would have no need to go off on his hunt for the 'Code Breaker' and the story would have been tighter for it. I get that the film makers didn't want to give the plan away to the viewer, but considering that part of the movie takes up the majority of the second act, it is a really weak premise to hold to. Not only this, but if you cut away this farce, the movie would have been considerably shorter, much cheaper, and the pacing would have been infinitely more bearable.

Now let's move onto Snoke. You know, this strange being that was teased in The Force Awakens as the next big thing and has sparked so much speculation in the Star Wars community for the last two years? Yeah, that guy. Well he is little more than a plot device. Insanely powerful in the force, yes, but a plot device none the less. He exists only as a way of bringing about Kylo and Rey's story which just made their story seem artificial and forced. So there's another third of this movie wasted.

So the last third of this movie is the Luke Skywalker and Jedi story. Surely that's going to make up for it, right? No. Sadly not. Luke has returned to the spoiled, flawed character of the first movie who just wants to sulk about the fact that he cant go off with his friends to pick up some power converters. There's even a moment in the movie where Yoda actually points this out. That means that it was a conscious decision to tear down the protagonist of the original trilogy that has spawned 4 decades of love and an enormous universe of stories. The decision to do that boggles the mind.

Basically, this movie was a mess from beginning to end. It gets 1-star for the visuals (though there was a lot of bad CGI in this movie), and one more star simply because I don't think this movie is the worst movie in cinematic history. It's watchable at the very least, which is reason enough for that second star.

I certainly have no hope for the new trilogy Rian Johnson has been employed to write.
  • gordonwright10-681-63782822 December 2017
    I'm glad to have discovered it wasnt just me ...
    I can honestly say that i have never left a movie theatre on any previous occasion and been angry. When I left the theatre one of our group asked me what I thought, i usually have something to say about what we've seen. I errupted, the anger was welling up inside. I can't really convey in words, the level of disapointment.

So many things, which have all been said by other reviewers. Snoke, Leia in space, re-hash of ideas from empire and jedi, needless comedy .....

I'm glad that I came to read the reviews on here, because when I got home from the cinema all I could see were professional reviews praising the movie, what an amazing piece of film ...... I was lost, I didnt understand... was it only me? Clearly its not only me. I wanted this to be a great movie, it was supposed to be a great movie ,,,,, Disney, why wasnt it?
  • Marcus James17 December 2017
    What the hell was this?
    Wow this is getting hammered by reviews and now I understand why. Given its still in week 1 and most of the early reviews were all paid for and fake, the fact that this is at:

57% - Rotten Tomatoes 50% - Metacritic

Means that the real scores are likely closer to 30% and 25% if you take out all the paid for "pro" and fake user reviews...

Are they serious? Didnt they learn from the 1st one that they need to push the story forward instead of making a C grade retelling the old stories? Wow, so glad I didnt pay to watch this.

1st of all, the replacement characters remain unlikable because dialog and character building is poor. Attempts at humor are not funny nor charming, and the plot development might as well be written by someone with a high school level intellect. Plot holes abound in what is sadly yet another attempt at a retelling of the same story from the 80s... how you can make more plot holes in a story remake? Well they did. and they threw in a few eye rolls as Rei continues to be a lore destroying super Jedi that has more power than all the previous Jedi combined without even trying and barely any training. The sensitive storm trooper who didnt want to kill can now kill all his brethren with a smile. And oh apparently the rebel are now so dumb that they dont even consider looking around for an exit when they are trapped, that is until the magnificent leader says they should look around and after asking Lea if its ok to look around with him... lol.

Luke who is supposedly a master Jedi at this stage in his life, is now the guy who either died due to being out of shape or by a 3rd rate sith dork who lost to a storm trooper in melee combat. But he sure fooled him for a minute to allow a group of worthless idiots to escape... I guess this was his Obiwan moment when he went up against a full powered Darth Vader and had no chance of winning... except in Lukes case it was against a kitten with the IQ of a wet towel. They basically took a dump on all three original movies (and even the prequels if you care about those) as well as all the written lore that came after not to mention common sense. Luke got killed while projecting his hologram... why? To give the rebels time to escape when all they had to do was look around for an exit and shoot themselves out. But they were too dumb to figure that out. It took sacrificing Luke (who didnt actually need to die, he could have pulled out the second they started looking for an exit) and Rei to move a few rocks to do what would have been trivial with the guns and equipment the rebels had with them. And all this happened why? Because they ran out of gas lol.

Good bye Star Wars.
  • mdyansufiyan16 December 2017
    "A Disney-approved Sci-Fi Comedy"
    A movie that tries extremely hard to be politically-correct, while being inclusive and embracing diversity, that it forgets what it means to be a part of the Star Wars lore. One of the greatest protagonists in cinematic history has been reduced to an uninspiring hermit drinking milk off an alien-cow-dinosaur hybrid. Supreme Leader Snoke could potentially be a greater villain than Darth Sidious but unfortunately killed off, Darth Maul-style. Meanwhile, forgettable and insignificant token characters such as Finn and Rose were kept alive all in the name of "multiracial-diversity" and "political-correctness". And don't get me started on the space battles: It was vomit-inducing.

• There was an estimated 4-5 First Order Star Destroyers including the massive Snoke's personal flagship, all armed to the teeth with thousands of turbolasers, hundreds of laser batteries, tractor beams, anti-ship torpedoes, and this movie is telling me that none, and yes, NONE, of them could take out one feeble Resistance cruiser? And don't forcefeed me with that "oh they're out of our range, so at the moment, we could just continue pursuing them for several hours and hope they would eventually run out of fuel" reasoning. General Hux could have just deployed his entire squadron of TIE Bombers, strategically targeting the cruiser's engines and shield generators, and poof! Mission accomplished.

• Wow, didn't know that the mighty First Order Dreadnought that is capable of orbital bombardment was extremely vulnerable to "vertical-dropping bombs that defies space physics" from ONE Resistance bomber.

• The "finding the codebreaker at the Casino-Monaco Planet" storyline was grossly unnecessary and a borefest. It would have been better to allocate the precious screentime to a more-engaging backstory about Snoke or showing more of Rey's Jedi training.

• Leia flying around in space without a spacesuit. Apparently being strong in the Force negates the urgent need for oxygen, being frozen, or propelling oneself through a microgravity environment. SpaceX, anyone?

• Snoke's death was unreasonably premature.

• Luke's death, while expected, could be better managed by the writers.

• Kylo-Rey intergalactic Force-Skype communication: The next Tinder in the making?

Conclusion: A Disney-approved Sci-Fi comedy specially made for the general masses, Porgs for the kids, while leaving behind the tiny bits of crumbs for the longtime fans to scrimp on. Hey, as long as Disney makes $2billion at the box office and millions more on merchandise and other related IPs, who are we to criticise them? In the end, it's all business, profits, and nothing else.
  • nadblaster21 December 2017
    Dumbest plot in a long, long time
    I can't really get into what's bad with this movie without dropping a ton of spoilers, but let me put it this way: a friend of mine went to see this before I did, and when I asked him how it was he hesitated, then said "it's just a superhero series now". He was more right than I ever could have known.

The plot is stupid and is full of moments where my friends and I looked at each other and said "wait, what?". There are sequences in this movie that simply do not need to exist and provide literally nothing to the story. The technology, previously something I always thought was neat about Star Wars, is genuinely dumb and makes zero sense (why do big laser bolts in space arc like artillery?). I am ashamed to have paid money for this and as a long-time Star Wars fan it hurts to see just how dead the franchise I love really is.

All that said, the special effects look and sound great, and it was fun to see Mark Hamill acting again. Other than that this movie is a disgrace not just to the franchise but to anyone with a brain. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
  • tuanskie17 December 2017
    A Complete Disgrace
    I was totally baffled during the movie and when I walked out of the theater, had become lost of thought and empty of any emotion - perhaps because I was in a state of shock. I won't regurgitate the many valid negative points that previous reviews have already discussed. They are all valid and should be up-voted every single instance. I just want to comment on how utterly disgraceful it was for the handling of four main characters:

1) The writing was careless for Luke's character and his fate. Even Mark Hamill himself disagreed with Rian Johnson about Luke's character and fate, which did not end well for long-time SW fans of the greatest Jedi! In this movie, what we get is an old grumpy Luke, not the spunky fighter Luke who took on baddies, blew up a Death Star, learned the force, and brought down the baddest Dark Jedi/Sith Lord of them all. Granted, he's not young anymore. He's been stuck on a desolate planet for years. He has every right to be grumpy because that's what happens with age. We get it. Instead, the Luke Skywalker in Johnson's adaptation of a beloved series is no more than a jaded, self-preserving, pessimist. C'mon! Does every old hero have to go down this road? It was perfect for Wolverine in Logan, but it is not in this movie! It would have been much better if we see Luke with every last bit of Jedi force, leading the last remnants of the Rebellion away from the grips of destruction, then breaking into Episode IX with some questions to be answered. Instead, we were left with yet another Jedi biting the dust knowing that we'll see him again in spirit. Wow, how great was that? We can all feel wonderful now that his spirit lives on. Give me a break! He could have taken on Kylo just fine given what was shown of his powers and fighting skills in a few scenes . And why oh why did he have to fall down when he had already shown Rey who was still the boss? Luke, you were shamefully disrespected by this director.

2) Rey's Jedi force and training were poorly developed. She came to Luke and went through some very superficial training. Luke didn't have her doing any physical training, there was no time spent on teaching fighting skills or how to control her light saber. There wasn't even a "control your anger" type of training that Luke went through in TESB. She simply had it all endowed coming in to Ach-to. If that's the case, then why the hell did she even need Luke? The writing failed miserably with her development as THE last Jedi. While Daisy Ridley did well with her part as an actress, it was the writing that failed her.

3) Snoke's fate...need I say more? The most powerful bad guy in the universe got killed! We didn't get to learn about his vast knowledge about the Jedi, their origin, and how he turned Kylo. All we know is that Kylo is still angry...dating back to SWTFA (and unfortunately Han Solo was on the receiving end of that anger). Did I mention that Kylo is still angry? Angry at his dad, at his uncle, at his mother - three pillars of the SW saga. That's still all we know.

4) Leia. OMG, Johnson gave her floating powers. This is no disrespect to Carrie Fisher. She did a fantastic job as usual. But Leia now has powers unbeknownst to us.
  • prev-455-77364616 December 2017
    Why would I watch the third one? There is nothing left I want to know...
    First of all, I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I think the prequels were good, because they were building up to something, Vador. But this... Where is THIS going...? It's the first time in my live that I've taken the time to write a review, because there is no way this movie deserve his 8.1/10 rating. And five years old kids don't come to rate movies on IMDB, so people were clearly paid to rate this movie past 5 stars.

At first, I thought it was a Family Guy parody. Poe talking about General Hux's mother and making him look like a fool. Jedi Temple Maids!?!?! LUKE MILKING A WEIRD CREATURE, WHAT THE..!?

Every mysteries JJ Abrams brought to us with The Force Awakens; Snoke, Rey's Parents, Rey's Vision, Luke & Kylo backstory all lead to nothing... Everything was answered like if Rian Johnson didn't agree with JJ Abrams first view on the Trilogy and wanted to get rid of it right away. I can't believe he gets his own trilogy.

But who were the writers on this movie!? Why did they decide to shoot Leia's ship if they didn't want her to die. Waking up & flying in space, really? All that so we can finally get rid of Admiral Ackbar? What was the point of the "Casino mission"? (Maz's character appearance was pointless by the way) Finn and his new "nobuddy" were really going to leave satisfied with only freeing a weird horse? That's what they were going to do if they were not rescued by that weird traitor code cracker. How did Captain Phasma survived the first movie? And for what? To just die AGAIN! Why did Luke look so afraid of Rey turning to the dark side to then just decide to keep training her the next morning? They really lost me there, at one point I thought there was a mistake in scene editing and this scene was supposed to come later in the movie.

What about Snoke... he was supposed to be so powerful. What was he doing?? - And now my young apprentice I fully trust you, I know everything about you! I can read all your thoughts and I will say everything you think out loud until you strike me with the lightsaber just beside me. Nonsense. I really thought there was a big reveal coming up for this character. The only reveal we got was that he was actually nobody and weaker than Kylo.

There is really nothing left to care about after this movie. I did not know that a trilogy could contain only two movies... The only thing left is that Kylo Ren and the First Order are still alive. But hey! There's a little boy with force and a broom! He was probably heading to his Quidditch game if you ask me. Is he who I am supposed to care about for the next movie?

The comedy also ruins the movie. Filmakers got to stop. Not all movies have to be action comedies. I am tired of the Avengers because of this exact reason, they are all the same. There is no serious movie anymore. (Look at the new Jurassic Park trailer per example, comedy again, this will suck). Star Wars movies were light si-fi movies. Now, this was like Guardians of the Galaxy 3 or Star Trek - Far, far away.

I am a Huge fan of JJ Abrams work, but unfortunately (I am sorry JJ), I won't be going to the theatre to see the third one. This is about Disney an there way of handling the Star Wars franchise. In my opinion, you are ruining the Star Wars spirit.

I can't see how this trilogy can be saved now...
  • milox3318 December 2017
    25 reasons why The Last Jedi is a FAILURE
    I had relatively high expectations of the Episode VIII. Unfortunately, "The Last Jedi" has so many plot holes, inconsistencies, ripoffs from previous movies, annoyingly flat and underdeveloped characters and dialogs, that it deserves many bad reviews that it receives from the public. It could have been so much better...

PLOT HOLES and THINGS THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE - examples: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Vice Admiral Holdo, for no reason at all, doesn't inform Poe and other members of the Resistance about the planet Crait and the escape plan. This creates Poe's unnecessary mutiny, just to fill the movie with some unneeded drama and to make cheap "twist" when we realize what the Leia's and Holdo's plan is.

• BB-8 overpowers and ties 3 prison guards armed with blasters, and muffles their mouths... ALONE.

• Not enough convincing reasons are shown to explain the Skywalker's decision to abandon his sister, friends, whole Republic and Resistance, even if they all get killed during his exile. That decision, and the decision to kill Ben, is not in line with Luke's character from the previous movies.

• Not even ONE information about Snoke's background, long-term plans, source of his power, etc.? Unbelievable how they wasted that character....

• Finn and Rose parked their spaceship on the beach of the casino planet, where it was easily seen and reported to the police, although they came there on a secret mission and should have landed on some hidden spot. That doesn't make sense...

• Finn and Rose enter the casino dressed in their usual clothes, although they don't want to draw attention to themselves. That was so naive and stupid... Would not be a better idea if they pick something to wear similar to those rich people around them? Rose is wearing dirty mechanic clothes when they enter the casino...

• Finn and Rose are releasing "space horses" from the stable, but not the children-slaves.

• Finn and Rose are trying to escape from the casino planet as soon as possible by riding "space horses", although they still didn't completed their mission (they didn't enlist help from a codebreaker). Why? As far as they know, the fate of the Resistance depends on finding the codebraker, but they just flee...

• On the planet Crait, Rose and Finn have relaxed, slow romantic scene and they share a kiss, while the army of gigantic AT-ATs in front of them are firing on anything that moves, and the First Order is just about to kill all their friends. Also, their "love story" was totally unnecessary and unconvincing.

• How is Finn (who is dragging Rose's body) able to cross the great distance back to the Rebel base after that, without being attacked?

• Leia survives WITHOUT A SCAR massive explosions that killed everybody else on the ship's bridge, and she also survives vacuum of space (Jedi are not immortal, and without a space suit a Jedi / human would not survive for more than 60 seconds in space). Then she somehow moves herself through space back to the ship, while her dress is waving like the wind is blowing in space.

• Luke gives Han's golden cubes (dice) to Leia, knowing they represent great emotional value for her, although he is aware that they will vanish in about 20 minutes because they are also "Force projection". That was a very cruel thing to do (and something that Luke wouldn't done)... A few minutes later Leia is leaving cubes behind when she escapes from the base, although our logic tells us that she would keep them.

• Water ends up on Kylo's glove after "Force connection" talk. That looked completely out of touch with how the Force works in the previous movies. The same problem is present in the scene with Yoda's Force ghost, when he summons real lightning from the sky and therefore directly influences events in the real world (and then he laughs about that like a lunatic).

• Kilo Ren is not suspicious when Luke holds the same lightsabre on the planet Crait as the one which was split in half shortly before that, when Kylo was confronting Rey.

• BB-8 manages to disable guards by shooting a pile of golden coins at them. The BB-8 has special compartment for storing coins, and special device for shooting them? And so much coins were inserted in him in the casino? And coins are enough to disable the guards? Silly...

• BB-8 is piloting AT-ST walker alone AND he is firing its cannons with great precision in the same time. 4 hands were needed for that in the "Return of the Jedi"...

• Why all armies in the galaxy don't use "hyperspace torpedoes" to ram spaceship fleets of the enemy, like Holdo did with the Resistance's spaceship?

• Also, why Resistance's ship commanders have to stay and die on their ships when all fuel is spent? The ship without fuel is useless in any case, and so their death is also useless...

• Chewie, R2-D2 and C-3PO do almost nothing during the movie, they are there only because the movie should "feel" like a Star Wars movie to the older fans.

• Too much unnecessary jokes and humor, and too much Porgs - just to please kids who will buy Star Wars toys later...

• Poe's phone-prank at the beginning of the movie was cringe-worthy. That was the first sign for me that this movie may not be so great as I hoped it would be.

• Phasma was again completely wasted character, without any purpose in the plot (other than to boost sales of the action figure).

RIPOFFS FROM THE ORIGINAL SAGA - 3 examples: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • "The Empire strikes back": Surface battle on the remote white planet, complete with AT-AT walkers, low flying rebel fighters, secret rebel base hidden under the surface, trenches, rebel cannons, etc. (Battle oh Hoth)

• "Return of the Jedi": Kylo (Vader) brings Rey (Luke) to the Snoke (Emperor), while Rey (Luke) is hoping that Kylo (Vader) can be turned from the Dark Side. Snoke (Emperor) shows Rey (Luke) how the Rebel fleet is destroyed while they speak. Snoke (Emperor) has Rey's (Luke's) lightsabre beside him, which Rey (Luke) wants to get by using Force. Many parts of the dialogue are almost the same.

• "Return of the Jedi": Millennium Falcon is chased by TIE-Fighters through the mines of mineral planet Crait - that scene is almost exact copy of the chase through the Death Star in the Return of the Jedi, where we also had TIE-Fighters chasing Falcon through similar tight spaces and obstacles (they just painted them red in this movie).

There are many more reasons why this movie is a failure... If you go to see "The Last Jedi", turn off your brain, banish all hopes, and just enjoy beautiful cinematography. At least they have done that right.
  • mordauntdylan16 December 2017
    The Crystal Skull of Star Wars
    As a lifetime Star Wars fan, I was sorely disappointed to see even the biggest fans laugh at the writing and concepts of this film during the midnight launch screening, if only the jokes were as funny.

The film lets you know where it's going almost immediately, opening with a typical "poor signal radio" gag between two important parties, warning you that there is nothing to be taken seriously in this plot. These poor attempts at humour continue throughout the rest of the film, with excessive amounts of time spent on jovial scenes that only exist to pander to people who might not know the franchise or promote possible merchandise.

This lack of finesse carries over into the writing and plot, most of the dialogue is downright cringe-worthy, not dissimilar to you might see in some kid's first fan film. The plot essentially doesn't exist, from beginning to end, nothing has changed in the larger universe. Furthermore, any significant plot points from the previous film that might have required an explanation are dismissed with an "Oh, yeah that was nothing". On top of the disaster that was the "plot", there are a multitude of lore-breaking cop outs and a very short timeline for the events of the film to occur in order to create suspense, which is then completely ignored. To sum up the script, it was lazy, unintelligent and full of continuity errors.

All this film does is shit all over every aspect of Star Wars that fans love, characters included. It feels small, the characters are undeveloped and the sense of wonder that Star Wars is built on was entirely snuffed out. At least the prequels felt a part of something larger.
  • emanueleromagnolo14 December 2017
    Disney strikes back
    Congrats for killing another franchise. The movie was horribly edited, half of the things happening on screen are literally pointless and theres NO character development whatsoever. Rey becomes a jedi after a 15 min meditation session with Luke, Kylo kills Snoke (wich was supposed to be stronger than vader and sidious) and this somehow doesnt change anything AT ALL. But hey, the 2.5h of screentime are filled with poe doing poe things, finn and a forgettable chinese partner going to the forgettable space-las vegas and doing pointless things that have nothing to do with the plot except giving benicio del toro some money, and leia somehow flying in space. Oh also dont expect explanations for the multple questions you may have had after seeing TFA. 13/12/2017 is the day Star Wars died, good job mickey mouse.
  • liell15 December 2017
    NEVER, in ALL MY LIFE, have I been more GENUINELY ANGRY at a movie.
    How this script made it past everyone at Disney I'll never know. What happened to the Star Wars that told a coherent story and focused on characters that we truly cared about?

Here, we have a ridiculous stew of new pawns thrown into the mix who end up amounting to nothing. The characters we do care about are under-utilized. Phasma has an underwhelming death after once again being absolutely worthless and without consequence. The other two deaths in the film are that of the two female characters who are introduced with minimal development. And... how did Luke die? He just decided to drift off into oblivion in the same fashion as Yoda? This made sense for Yoda in Return of the Jedi as he was way beyond his years. But Luke here basically just commits suicide.

Genuine drama and momentum is traded in for cheap twists and a non-stop urge to be humorous instead of taking itself seriously. Several of the jokes are cringe-worthy, as if a room full of aspiring comics sat around and said "Hey, wouldn't this be kinda funny if we had this character do this?!" and then they just included every possible outlet for humor with zero discretion. Trading in fluid and impactful story-telling for an overabundance of cheap laughs... something that no Star Wars movie til now has dared to do.

I was genuinely excited to explore the true nature of The Force in this installment, but I was sorely mistaken in that department as well. The dialog during the training scenes is simplistic, rehashed from The Empire Strikes Back, but in a dumbed-down way. No new or innovative ideas are brought up, and as Luke trains Rey, he does so with an air of mockery. To those who have found actual insight, emotion, and philosophical resonance in The Force, the way this movie handles the subject is beyond insulting.

Also- I understand Leia is strong with the Force- but are we really supposed to believe that Jedi can survive being THROWN INTO OUTER SPACE now?? Where do we draw the line? These are human characters we're dealing with, but Mr. Johnson apparently has no boundaries.

And his final shot? A boy who we have NEVER SEEN BEFORE. I understand the meaning behind it- to say that anyone can be force-sensitive- but really?! For me, Star Wars has always been about the characters. So when one considers the closing shot of the movie (which has, in other Star Wars films, always been highly poignant) to be a RANDOM BOY... instead of a character that we're actually invested in... you'll see why I am upset.

Adding even more questions to the list of unanswered mysteries introduced in The Force Awakens, this episode has me seriously concerned for the culminating chapter of this trilogy. Best of luck to Abrams in salvaging the story he set out to tell, as The Last Jedi has left it in a very puzzling and disappointing place.
  • outlaw-2856316 December 2017
    Rian Johnson should feel ashamed
    DO NOT READ MY REVIEW IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE SPOILERS

This review is a result of episode 8 as a stand alone and not toward a possible 9 (where Disney could reveal Kylo was a liar and the reason why he told Rey if she knew what he saw when he touched her hand, would cause her to turn to his side, was because she would turn dark knowing Kylo killed her father) In the same way episode 6 not 5 revealed Luke and Leia to be siblings.

From the moment Poe made fun of "General Hugs" and talked about his mom I knew this movie was going to be a POS. Didn't realize Star Wars was on the same comical caliber as The Marvel Cinematic Universe which is based off of comics. After re-watching Episode 1-6 and seeing younglings killed I noticed a severe inconsistency with this universe as of late. I feel the comedy aspect could have been picked up in spin offs, not the main movies. Why does every movie HAVE to have an even amount of comedy nowadays. The Dark Knight didn't require comedy to be an amazing film.

Poe had several people killed with his asinine plans and ideas, and we are supposed to look at him like he is some amazing leader ready to take over for Leia? REALLY!? How can anyone think this story is coherent.

I love how Rey has never had a teacher or been trained in Kung Fu but some how she has mastered every technique. Since when has a martial arts student suddenly been able to master and perform flawless techniques without a teacher or training? Humans in Star Wars have NEVER done this and neither in real life.This is the reason why people were frustrated with E7. It is terrible writing to start off a character needing no development. Heck even Leia tells Rey they don't need anything else after the resistance is destroyed. NO SH!T, especially when you have written a character to be so perfect.

We come to segment of the movie where Poe agrees that Rose and Finn should go off and find this codebreaker. This entire portion of the movie was to illustrate to the audience that maybe the resistance isn't all good and maybe the empire isn't all bad. At the end of this little section of the story we find out that Finns efforts were all in vain JUST like episode 7, where he goes to rescue the perfect character who doesnt need rescuing. Disney, why would you allow one of your main characters(a minority figure), to be portrayed as useless in 2 films in a row. I love Boyega and you let Rian Johnson destroy his character in the worst way. Which leads into my next tantrum.

Finn not performing the most courageous act in history, sacrifice. I know everyone else felt it as Finn was about to collide with the battering ram cannon, that swelling in the throat, and the tears starting to form as finally his character does something meaningful. To only have it ruined by Rose with her line that "We won't win by destroying the things we hate; we win by saving the things we love." OH REALLY??? well that is trumped by the comment Luke makes about war just beginning... last time I checked wars were won by ruthless tactics not by handing out flowers.

At one point Luke sees Rey leave and goes to burn the sacred Jedi texts to have Yoda assist with some lightning. Luke turns around and verifies with Yoda that it is time for the Jedi to end where Yoda nods and tells Luke yes. OH REALLY??? That is why Luke on Crait tells Kylo that he will not be the last Jedi? WTF were you thinking Rian Johnson? This script is far less coherent than the last turd I watched, Bedeviled.

The acting, sound effects, visuals, music(oh the lovely, amazing music), and costumes were beautiful and praise worthy and with the failure of the script I firmly believe everyone did thier part except Rian Johnson. I love the cast and almost everyone who worked on the film even poor Kelly Tran, but Rian you should feel ashamed.
  • busfahrer0924 December 2017
    DISNEY KILLED STAR WARS
    Luke in the Extended Universe:
    • Elected one of the Representatives of the New republic
    - Rebuilds the Jedi Order on Yavin, trains awesome new Jedi like Kyle Katarn
    • Defeats multiple empire remnant leaders like Grand Admiral Thrawn with the help of his friends
    • Not only defeats the Emperor's super hot and empowered personal assassin, Mara Jade, whose last orders were to kill Luke at all costs, but also turns her to the light and FUCKING
    MARRIES her creating the coolest space couple ever
    • Has children with her who along with Han and Lea's kids spawn an entire new generation of interesting and impactful characters
    • Fights off dozens of new and interesting villains like the Yu'zonn Vong, an invading race from an entirely different galaxy who can hide from the Force making a new and interesting
    dynamic, Lumia the Sith who uses a lightwhip like a bad-ass and turns one of the Solo kids into one of the most powerful Sith ever, and a reincarnation of one of the goddamn founders of the Sith order on Korriban
    • Overall, grows to be an amazingly powerful and wise character who grew from a farm-boy to the last hope of the galaxy to the courageous hero everyone in all of the galaxy knows they
    can count on and will always be there for them.

Luke in the disney movies:
    • is a grumpy-ass hermit virgin who ran away from all his problems, abandoned his friends, dint give a fuck that Han died or Lea is in danger, forgot all the lessons he learned, and drinks not-blue milk from weird alien titties.

FUCK YOU DISNEY
  • todoloquenotedije16 December 2017
    Worst Star Wars movie?
    • Tons of plotholes.
    • Luke Skywalker's character ruined
    • JJ abrahams work and characters, dumped.
    • No character development.
    • Rushed "romance"
    • Bad main plot.
    • Bad side plots.
    • Totally lacking any lore.
  • Jesse-kononen16 December 2017
    They brought Star Wars back. Only to spit on its name.
    Wow. Just wow. The Last Jedi was the worst piece of garbage masquerading as a Star Wars movie. I genuinely feel bad for paying the ticket fee. This movie doesn't deserve that. I logged into my IMDB account for the first time in years just to post this review.

See, I hate it when my favourite things are being destroyed. It's like a phantom dagger piercing my heart.

Why exactly is TLJ such a horrendous farce of a movie?

Spoilers, beware. Let's see...

1. No character development. At all. The only thing we learned is that Kylo Ren has conflicts of conscience. Everyone else remains as forgettable, boring PC main characters. Finn is still a black dude who sometimes gets excited. Rey still beat Kylo Ren with her girl powers without actual training. There's a new short, plump, socially awkward girl. Need I say more.

2. The romance between Finn and Rose felt forced. They had zero chemistry at all. The kiss-scene felt like it came out of nowhere. I get that romance is a reoccurring theme in Star Wars, but... just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. Did they write this on their lunch breaks? Jesus Christ.

3. No tension. You know one ingredient that makes a good movie? Emotions. I may just be cold, but I felt almost ZERO emotions while watching TLJ. There wasn't a single scene that made me excited, hyped, joyous, sorrowful, or angry. The only emotion I felt... was disappointment. I didn't even chuckle once. Speaking of chuckling...

4. Misplaced comedy. Really. I'm not the kind of person to laugh out loud often, but not a single 'comedic' or 'funny' scene even made me smile.

5. What happened with Snoke? He was both a severely underused and cliche villain. It's almost like they tried to recreate the ending of Return of the Jedi when Rey entered Snoke's throne room and was briefly force-tortured by him. Then he dies. Awesome. Honestly, I didn't like him that much either way, but... You have three movies to make a compelling villain. Three movies. Of the most popular fictional saga in the entire world. And THIS is what you come up with?

6. What happened with Captain Phasma? No. I refuse. I REFUSE to believe that was her fate. She'll come back, right? That was just a ruse to make us think that she's dead. There's no fucking way that you kill off one of the most underused villains of all time like that. SHE HAD LESS TOTAL SCREEN TIME IN 2 MOVIES THAN GENERAL GRIEVOUS DID IN REVENGE OF THE SITH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

7. Random ass-pulls. Things that make you go "Oh, come oooon!". Princess Leia's 'death' is a shining, prime example of this. Curses, our fair princess was vacuumed into space! Oh wait. She can just use her space wizard powers to move herself back to safety. The movie was full of these mini-deus-ex-machinas, but it would take forever to list them all.

8. Awkward directing and mini-plot holes. So... when Finn and whatshername were captured and prepared for execution by Captain Phasma, there were stormtroopers all around them. An explosion. Everyone except our gracious main characters is dead. What happened to the troops surrounding Finn and Rose? At the end after the crash, how did Finn carry whatsherface back to rebel lines without AT-AT's obliterating them? My god. I admit I was tired, so maybe I missed some key elements. Could someone explain in detail how the main characters survived in some scenes for reasons other than their extraordinarily thick plot armour?

And since this is the 8th 'episode', I think the 8th reason why The Last Jedi is a heap of garbage is a good place to stop. There are, of course, many more things, like Kylo Ren's betrayal of Snoke, Luke's death and Admiral Holdo's hyperspace-suicide which were completely intellect dampening from a logical perspective.

One thing I liked were the Force scenes between Kylo and Rey. Them sensing each other and the camera angles being placed accordingly. Those were pretty sweet.

The visual and auditory presentation of Holdo's suicide by hyperspacing through the imperial fleet was really cool. Otherwise, it made no sense lore-wise. Couldn't the rebels just have destroyed all of the Death Stars in the previous movies the same way?

Rogue One was good. Fantastic, even.

The Force Awakens was bad.

The Last Jedi somehow manages to be even worse. I'd rather watch the prequels three times in a row that have a go at these Disney Wars movies befouling the Star Wars name. I have no hope for Episode 9. Hire better fucking writers and directors and maybe we'll see.

Hell, if Disney contacted me, I'd write a compelling, unforgettable script for Episode IX for FREE. I'm dead fucking serious.
  • samuel_faict14 December 2017
    "It's time for the Jedi, and for Star Wars... to end."
    The Last Jedi is one giant cinematographic anticlimax. Each sequence had a twist for the sake of a twist. Each time, the chosen twist was always the lesser of the interesting possibilities the resolution could offer. Each scene had a build up that lead to an anticlimax. Examples: 1) Set-Up: Luke gets his blue light saber back. The biggest buildup at the end of The Force Awakens. Two years in the wait to see what Luke is going to do. Anticlimax: Luke throws the light saber away over his head in a slapstick manner. 2) Set-up: Is Admiral Holdo a traitor? Anticlimax: Apparently she's not, she just wanted to hide her plan (of saving The Resistance) from everybody without any apparent reason, creating forced conflict. 3) Set-up: DJ explains the war economy to Finn and Rose and shows that the weapon dealers sell weapons to both The First Order AND The Resistance. Anticlimax: Finn and Rose ignore it completely and pretend this discussion never happened. 4) Set-up: We finally meet Snoke, the new biggest Dark Side villain of the galaxy. Who is he? Anticlimax: He's nobody, Snoke is killed off in the most anticlimactic and convenient way possible; and this in the middle of the movie! 5) Set-up: Rey is finally getting the answer of who her parents are. Anticlimax: She is a nobody. Her drunk parents sold her to Unkar Plutt when she was a child. They then died and were buried somewhere on Jakku in a mass grave. 6) Set-up: The big climactic build-up of the battle on Crait where Luke walks towards The walkers of The First Order. The music builds and Luke is ready to do some serious force-s***. Anticlimax: Luke was using a projection of himself, Force-broadcasting it from Ahch-To to leave some time for The Resistence to escape. This drained his energy and killed him apparently. The Last Jedi felt like making love to the woman of your dreams, and right before you come she stops you, pushes you away, and tells you to leave for not apparent reason. You are just dumbstruck thinking "What!?" The Last Jedi is a mix between Return of The Jedi and the prequels. It had the potential of becoming "something truly special", but like the prequels, all the decisions that were made were the least interesting and in some cases the most ridicule ones. For example: The whole crowd started to lough in mockery when Superwoman Princess Leia flew through space... Casting A-list actors like Benicio Del Toro for small roles is another example of a weird choices. The rhythm was off. Wen the subplot started about Finn and Rose going to Canto Bight, the movie started to drag. Then, when the Crait battle started, everything was rushed. All the interesting questions The Force Awakens asked were answered in a rush. The Last Jedi is a ridicule movie, a 2h32minutes long awkward an weird cinematographic experience.
  • sunnylight-7392715 December 2017
    Star Wars is Officially Dead for Me... So is IMDb.
    Okay, I do not know where to start... Really. I didn't like TFA but I had some very big expectations about this one. The start of the new story was incredibly bad but it had the potential to be fixed somehow. Sadly, it didn't happen.

I will start with the good things, and there are a lot of good things but when I see it as a Star Wars movie, all of those good things fall apart.

- Kylo Ren and Snoke are cool as shit! - The acting is superb. - The music and the VFX are amazing...

But that's all of it. We can enjoy all of those things in every other similar movie. The MCU movies for example.

Now, there are spoilers ahead, so if you didn't watched the movie, stop reading my review here.

If TFA was a copy-paste of ANH, TLJ is a mix of TESB and ROTJ. Literally. I like the prequels, and even if I didn't liked them, I still would have respect them because they are original and George Lucas didn't afraid to take risks with the storyline. TLF is a complete BS /I am sorry for the language but COME ON!/. It is one big multi-million black hole. Disney care only about money. Everybody cares about money, there are one of the most important thing in the world. But when you do something - put your heart in it...

- I did not care about Phasma /and Ackbar too/, she was useless but I cannot believe they killed Snoke so stupidly. We didn't learn anything for him. He just showed up a few times, he was badass in all of his scenes, and in the end he is killed for no reason. His back-story is equal to that of Phasma.

- There are a few new characters, nobody cares for them, except Finn, may be. He falls in love with one of them but she is killed off too.

- Luke Skywalker, the Grand Jedi Master we all know from the books and the video games is so pathetic and illogical that for a second I tough I am not following the movie or something. He dies too, I am okay with that but he is acting like an grumpy grandpa, and somehow teleporting and doing Force stuff we had never seen before. Nothing against it but, please explain how those things happened!

- Leia can fly.. In SPACE??? What was that??? I will not make my rating for the movie lower because of that scene of course, just didn't liked it.

- There are so many other bad things, worse than my English, but I am tiered of writing this, so I am going to finish now.

So, when the movie came out and I saw the critic reviews, the high ratings, I thought this movie is going to be at least watchable. Now, when I saw it, along with the other people, and I see all the negative reviews, I cannot believe that this rating (8.3) three days ago was real. Cannot be. This is F.. BS! IMDb is dead for me, I will no longer consider this site for a movie rating criteria. It is a complete lie. I know that some of the movie ratings are manipulated but never believed that that they are manipulated so much! It is insulting, and I am sorry if I am mistaking!

So, the conclusion is - if you want to watch a Star Wars movie - go watch Star Wars Episode 1-6, or Rogue One. If you want to watch a Star Wars Parody - go watch Spaceballs. If you wanna kill yourself - go watch The Last Jedi!
  • moviefan88217 December 2017
    A thoroughly mediocre movie - might disappoint existing fans by targeting a broader and younger audience
    Warning: This review contains significant spoilers.

After the excellent Rogue One and the very positive reviews that this movie received, I was hopeful that it would be outstanding. However, I left the theater with a feeling of enormous disappointment. Let me start with the positive aspects of the movie, though. Technically, it is a masterpiece: the special effects are fantastic. Visually, it is a stunning recreation and advancement of the original Star Wars trilogy (Episodes IV-VI). Most of the actors do a good job and the soundtrack is great, too. The space battles are extremely well made -- probably the best I've seen in any movie so far.

However, all of these positive aspects cannot save the movie from its poor plot, misplaced humor, and the fact that it simply does not feel like an authentic continuation of the existing Star Wars universe. Obviously, the last point in particular is subjective, but below I will provide detailed reasons for my judgment.

In general, the plot is not believable, tries to achieve too much, and delivers too little at the same time. It is not credible because the entire story feels forced. The uninterrupted hour-long hunt for the Resistance ships (which is a very thin and weak main story line) seems like an artificial way to create tensions. It is full of gaps and developments that are not believable. On the one hand you have the technologically vastly superior First Order forces which are able to follow the Resistance fleet through light speed (something that, according to the characters in the movie, was not even possible previously). On the other hand, they are not able to get any closer to them when in normal speed. Also, it is not believable that an explosion that destroys the entire bridge of a ship and kills everyone on it, leaves Leia physically mostly unharmed (not a Jedi trick, because the Jedi can definitely be harmed physically). Furthermore, the fact that the one person they absolutely need for their plan (the so-called "Code Breaker") is conveniently close to the location of the chase just appears to be too big a coincidence. Similarly, the presence of a comparatively close old rebel base is not very credible either. Finally, Supreme Leader Snoke, who appears to be a mastermind, does not notice the light saber next to him turning (I mean, come on)...

One of the biggest problems with the plot is that the tensions created are resolved much too quickly and in an anticlimactic fashion. Supreme Leader Snoke, who we barely know and who remains completely mysterious, is taken out of the movie after approximately five minutes of conversation without any big fight. He turns out to merely be a placeholder to fulfill a certain story function. The problem that characters are introduced too fast, remain underdeveloped, and are then removed (even though there is great potential to develop them) -- like Captain Phasma or Rose Tico -- shows that the movie tries to achieve too much but delivers too little. While the plot heavily focuses on Rey, Kylo Ren, and Luke Skywalker, nearly all other characters suffer a fate of under-development and/or quick removal.

Also, actors throw around the word "treason" and even commit acts of betrayal without any meaningful consequences. For example, Poe Dameron takes over the command of the Resistance in a "coup d'├ętat," only to apparently be forgiven shortly afterwards. This is presumably due to the movie's younger target group, but doesn't help its authenticity at all.

This leads straight to my second major concern: Episode VIII simply is not an authentic continuation of the existing Star Wars universe. The development of characters and the main story was much more believable in the old Expanded Universe that is no longer part of the official canon. Just compare the development of Luke Skywalker's personality in the old Expanded Universe, as a guardian of new Republic and heir to the Jedi Order, to his completely new personality in Episode VIII (where he runs away from everything and tries to destroy the legacy of the Jedi). Considering that throughout Episode VI Luke does not give up the hope of turning the evil overlord Vader (who he knows to be his father) into a good person again and in light of his success at doing this, it is also not credible at all that he would even consider killing his nephew -- Kylo Ren -- in his sleep. It just doesn't make any sense given Luke's previous character development.

As pointed out above, Snoke's appearance and development is also more of a joke. Not to mention Kylo Ren: with his childish attitude he simply cannot serve as a credible bad guy (and especially not Supreme Leader). The entire First Order is a cartoonish version of the Empire. This is not Star Wars anymore. Moreover, the casino scene and the entire side plot with Finn and Rose also did not match the atmosphere and world design of any previous Star Wars movie. The casino looked more like Las Vegas than anything I've seen in the Star Wars universe so far.

Finally, the humor used in the movie often feels misplaced. The film seriously starts with a "prank phone call" from Poe Dameron to the general of the First Order. This reminded me of Bart Simpson's calls to Moe's bar and just feels completely wrong as the opening scene. The First Order commander is fooled too easily and his behavior and attitudes remind me more of a teenager than of a high-ranking imperial (First Order) officer. This is again presumably due to the movie's younger target group.

Some jokes are pretty good and made me laugh, but their frequency is so high that it simply doesn't feel like we can take most characters seriously anymore. That may be the goal of the creators of the movie -- to produce something more light-hearted -- but, as I said above, this simply is not an authentic continuation of the existing Star Wars universe.

Overall, it is pretty clear to me that the movie seeks the broadest possible audience. With stunning special effects, great space battle action, lots of light-hearted humor, and a more cartoonish First Order it wants to turn everyone into Star Wars fans. However, by doing this, it breaks with previous movies of the saga and ultimately has enormous potential to disappoint existing fans. By going maximally mainstream (more than Star Wars was ever before), the movie might be successful at making money, but it's ever harder to distinguish Star Wars in a meaningful way from any other recent SciFi film or even the latest super hero movies. Despite its strengths, the weaknesses -- especially the bad plot and not credible character development -- make it mediocre overall. If this movie would not have the label "Star Wars" on it, most people would probably not care to see it. It likely would be forgotten within a few years. With the label Star Wars on it, despite all of its shortcomings, it will probably be an enormous (financial) success.
  • rick2003325 December 2017
    Horrible
    It's hard to imagine a studio being THIS stupid, THIS unwise, THIS disrespectful to a loyal fanbase that goes back *forty years*.

• Rey is even more of a Mary Sue in this one than she was before. She easily puts Luke Skywalker on his rear end. She effortlessly floats several tons worth of rocks, when Anakin and Luke had to struggle lifting much lighter things even after they had received training from Jedi masters. Rey don't need no stinkin' training! She's a girl, don'tcha know! "The Force is feminism!", right, Kathleen Kennedy?
    • This movie is a 2 1/2 slow motion car chase. Allegedly, the New Order ships aren't as fast as the Resistance's, so they can't catch them at sub-light speeds. And the Resistance ships can't go faster-than-light more than one more time because they are running out of gas. Thus, we get the aforementioned 2 1/2 slow motion car chase. And yet, the whole movie has the two sets of ships stay the same distance apart. Why aren't the Resistance ships pulling away, if they are faster? And the New Order ships have plenty of fuel, so why don't they have a couple of ships jump ahead faster-than-light and head the Resistance off? Because then the movie would be over in 3 minutes. Which, to be honest, would have been better.
    • There are repeated attempts at humor that fall flat and don't fit with the main tone of the movie.
    • There are a string of abandoned subplots and unsatisfying answers to the teasers from The Force Awakens. It's as if someone said, "Want to know a secret about ___? Here are some clues. Come back in two years and give me some money and I'll tell you." Then, two years later you hand them your money and they say, "There's no secret, sucker."
    • This movie pushes identity politics out its wazoo. We get it. There's an empire of white men who must be overthrown by women and people of color. You're so "woke", Kathleen Kennedy and sock puppet Rian Johnson. You're such heroes. You're really sticking it to the man with your "art." Now, go cash your checks for millions of dollars, written and signed by powerful white men that you happily serve.
    • Snoke's quick and unlikely death was such a waste. Does Disney plan to have Thanos get stabbed in the back in the middle of "Avengers: Infinity War" so some Grima Wormtongue-like figure can put on the gauntlet? That's the equivalent of what they did with Snoke. Instead of a Luke vs. Snoke and Rey vs. Emo Ren epic light saber battle that would make Star Wars history, Disney chose...this. Rey don't need no man, right, Kathleen Kennedy?
    • Leia Poppins: the dumbest thing I've seen in a movie since...since...I'll get back with you.
    • There is no vacuum in the Disney Star Wars galaxy. There is, however, earthlike gravity when you want to drop bombs from bombers that travel at about 3 miles per hour (Maybe the Resistance should consider faster bombers, by the way).
    • Admiral Purple-Hair's first words to Po were a snide rebuke for mansplaining to her. Did that make you giggle, Kathleen Kennedy? 'Cause this movie is all about what you like, right? Then Admiral Purple-Hair refuses to tell Po (the guy who blew up Starkiller Base a couple of days before) her plan, which resulted in the stupid casino side plot, which, in turn, resulted in the entire Rebellion (minus one small ship) being murdered as the helplessly ran away. As the ships are being blown up one by one, Purple-Hair stands watching, slack-jawed. She FINALLY decides to act when her own death is clearly an inevitability, and manages to save about a dozen people out of the entire Resistance. Way to show what will happen if "strong women" are put in charge, Kathleen Kennedy! We should definitely get right on that! Kathleen, YOU are Admiral Purple-Hair. You have been given command of Star Wars. but your arrogance and self-concern are causing everything you are supposed to be saving to be destroyed. You are a failure because you can't do what great leaders have to do: elevate their responsibilities above their own egos, preferences, and self-interest.
    • The introduction of Positive Body Image Asian Fangirl was bad enough, but to then use her to attack rich people just because they have money made her even more annoying. Feel the Bern! So, is she objecting to rich people like Kathleen Kennedy? Rich people like the ones who run Disney? Hmm. If so, maybe she's onto something.
    • Positive Body Image Asian Fangirl's concern about freeing a stable of animals, but not the slave kids who work in those stables, seems a little odd. Come to think of it, I guess that IS kind of realistic. There is still slavery in our world (trafficked in primarily by "people of color", by the way), but female celebrities ignore that and take their clothes off to protest eating meat...because human nakedness helps animals somehow.
    • The New Order has a scanner that can detect cloaked vessels, but they only turn it on when someone tells them there are cloaked vessels nearby that need detectin'.
    • Positive Body Image Asian Fangirl celebrates her sister's self-sacrifice, benefits from Admiral Purple-Hair's self-sacrifice, but stops Finn from sacrificing himself...by being willing to sacrifice *herself*...because that dumb man is doing War wrong. "Silly Finn, it's not about sacrificing yourself to save those you love, it's about sacrificing yourse....Hey, look. They're killing our friends with that cannon you were about to destroy. That's sad. Oh well, let me give you a kiss (stop looking so uncomfortable!) and then you can drag my hefty body back to the cave. Hmm. I wonder why the enemy ships aren't shooting us, since we are literally right in front of them and unprotected? That's nice of them."
    I could go on and on and on.

But those things are NOTHING compared to the absolute crime that was committed against one of the most iconic characters in science fiction movie history: Luke Skywalker. Not only was his behavior completely uncharacteristic, but his fight scene against Emo Ren was a sham and his death was utterly meaningless. Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson were entrusted with the character of Luke Skywalker and they completely betrayed that trust in virtually every decision that they made. Not only that, but there is good reason to believe that they betrayed the actor Mark Hamill, as well. Footage of Hamill before the movie premiere shows him happy, even giddy, about the movie. Footage of him afterward show a man who looks shell-shocked and confused, and he looks at Rian Johnson with a look of incredulity and loathing. I believe that Luke's death (a digital fadeout, remember, not an acted out death scene) was added without Hamill's knowledge.

This movie is a travesty. Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy need to be kept as far away from Star Wars as possible. If we're lucky, the earth will open up and swallow them both.
  • prab-jhooti14 December 2017
    Went to the movies happy, came out partially sad and confused.
    I never thought I'd be saying this, but I have never been this conflicted with a Star Wars movie plot in my life. I want to go through the movie one point at a time:

• Opening scene is probably one of the better space battles we will see in a long time. We notice the desperate escape and sacrifices made by the Resistance. PROBLEM with this part was that you don't know any of the characters- and starting a movie by simply creating sacrifices doesn't give you that emotional connection with the people dying. Either way it was ok enough.

• So we know Luke went exile on this island, and we would assume (as TRUE fans) that he would learn a thing or two about the origins of the Force. I mean the whole hype around the existance of BOOKS in the universe of Star Wars got everyone excited. But amazingly enough, Luke didn't even seem to have read them all - we literally don't see their signifiance in this whole movie.

• We remember Luke Skywalker as the beacon of hope after RotJ, but in this movie he seems like a completely different person. I would assume even after loosing his first generation of Jedis he would try to persuade himself to restart, but noooo he DOESNT - he has given up.

• Luke hardly teaches Rey anything about the Force. We see few lessons, but nowhere near how Yoda taught Luke. This in my opinion was a sad moment! Yet no one really understands why Rey is so competent with the usage of her force abilities.

• Rey's parentage thrown down the drain. Kylo reveals that her parents sold her on Jakku for drinking money.. I still feel like we will see more to this particular plot in Episode 9.... (HOPEFULLY!)

• Snoke... man oh man, what have you done Disney? After the Force Awakens, we are left with so many questions regarding this being.. who is Snoke, how does he hold so much knowledge of the Force, what is his connection with the Old republic or the era of the Empire? NOTHING answered in this movie, and on top of this (please God help me with this one) he is killed! There is no revelation about his origins. Just a simple bad guy who was born out of nowhere and wanted to destroy the Jedi and take over the Universe... I mean COME ON, such a stupid way to go.

• Finn and his girlfriend scenes are such a waste of time. You feel like the planet they travel in order to find a codebreaker is a scene from a Harry Potter movie. I am conflicted with how long they made that scene.. so unecessary. I can say a whole lot more about this particular bit, but I'd like you to see this movie and cry about how bad it was made.

• Poe was fantastic actor in this movie. I love his enthusiasm and he truly lifts the movie with his comedy, bravery, and sense of justice.

• Princess Leia (RIP dear princess) - seems to be tired in this movie. I'll go straight to the important scene: at one stage some tie bombers destroy her command bridge and she is seen blown into space. Suddenly she wakes up (while being frozen to death) with the use of her Force abilities and flies back into the ship... We have seen some new abilities of the Force now, this one is a big one

• Resistance is left with, hmm.... 8-9 people by the end of the movie?

• At the latter part of the movie the remaining Resistance sends out message across the outer Rim for aid, you would believe that someone would reply in their darkest moment.......... NOPE, no one did. BUT LUKE came out in a spirit form (using Force ability while physically remaining on the Island planet). After a deadly "fight" with Kylo Ren, he dissapears amd returns to his own body. There he watches the sunset and becomes one with the Force, in other words he DIES. Rey can sense this and so can Leia.
    With this particular scene we have learned that Luke truly has learned more epic usage of the Force. The part that gets me pissed: does teleporting your own spirit to another planet result in your own death?... nothing about this gets answered. You just see him use ONE ability and poof = dead.

• This movie is all about making way for the newer generation and I truly hate the way it is done. Trust me, I love Star Wars and I would love to give the newer generations time to evolve and introduced in the most intelligent way, but this movie just wants to kill off legends.

Sorry but in my honest opinion, this is the WORST Star Wars movie ever created.