User Reviews (274)

• whitbyscallyred3 June 2016
    Clarke is adorable and the critics get it wrong
    How can so many people get this this movie wrong, especially the critics? The high point of the film is the performance by Emelia Clarke. She is hair-brained, and scatty, completely adorable and wonderful.The camera-work is gorgeous and the soundtrack is second to none.

Lou (Emilia Clarke) gets a job as a carer to a man (William) who is paralyzed more or less from the neck down. A budding friendship/romance develops; and this is 90% a feel good movie.

The criticism of the movie that it depicts a life with profound disability as almost worthless is completely mistaken. The movie depicts William's life as worthwhile and precious. It is William's own judgment that his life cannot go on as it is, and that he would prefer to die.

With regard to this, the movie does tend to downplay the pain and suffering that William experiences. Instead it focuses on the good times and precious moments he spends will Lou. And as already stated, the character of Lou is completely adorable. I am in love.
  • pattypiazza9 September 2016
    A Most Beautiful Love Story
    At times I feel that humanity has forgotten, or never really knew, what it is to really love someone. Jojo Moyes obviously isn't one of those people. Love isn't the lust we feel at the beginning of a relationship. It's not the thoughtful vision we compile of what the future could be like or how compatible we are. It's not about how financially successful a prospective partner is. It's certainly not all about sex, although it would be hard to come to this conclusion when the media generally plays strongly to that idea. It's the undeniable, overwhelming pull from our hearts that grows only when we really let ourselves care about someone unselfishly.

Thank you Jojo for playing this out so beautifully. Thank you Emelia and Sam for either knowing this experience or fabulously, convincingly portraying it on screen. This movie is a treat to watch and a glimpse of what it feels like to be a person who lives their life with a moral conscience, an open mind, a respect for beliefs that are different than yours and a desire to see the best in the world.

I feel absolutely cleansed of negativity after watching this and my hope for the world is renewed. A glorious experience!
  • Mamabird674 June 2016
    Adorable!
    The movie really was adorable! I knew exactly what to expect since I read the book, but I loved the adaptation.

What helps the movie most is that the novelist, Jojo Moyees, wrote her own screenplay. She did a great job transitioning the story from paper to screen. Little things that were left out of the novel weren't really needed to move the story along.

Both Emilia Clarke and Sam Clafin were excellent. Her facial expressions were amazing and her insane eyebrows deserve some type of award all on their own.

I thoroughly enjoyed the soundtrack as well.

Don't listen to critics and go see this movie.
  • DarkVulcan2910 June 2016
    Claflin and Clarke where to perfect
    This film is getting mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed it. A very bittersweet film that will leave you feeling happy and sad at the same time. I never read the book that which this film is based on. But sometimes movies are never has detailed has the books they are based on.

A beautifully well made story, it about Louisa(Emilia Clarke) a 26 year old who finds a job taking care of Will(Sam Claflin) a young billionaire who is permanently confined to wheel chair after an accident two years earlier, the use of his arms and legs are gone. At first Will does not want Louisia there, and she does her best to put up with him. But soon the form quite a friendship, she teaches him to enjoy life again, and he shows her to be adventurous in life. But the question is will this last?

I like the chemistry between Claflin and Clarke, at no point it feels forced. I really bought the affection they feel for one another. At times Clarkes performance feels overly cartoonish, but still good in most of it. Claflin is believable, and the question is how would you feel if you where in his shoes. I don't care what the critics say, this was a perfectly well made bittersweet film.
  • aimee-837-2437574 June 2016
    A sweet love story for those who wants to get lost in the moment.
    I admit that I have read the book and so when the movie came out, I just HAD to go see it. So I drag my poor husband and we went to watch a late show that was relatively full. I didn't tell him anything about the movie and I watched him watching it. He actually really enjoyed it. The movie was lovely. The movie itself was beautiful. The scenery was set somewhere is rural England. There are green pastures, a castle and beautiful stone walkways.

We first meet Lou, a beautiful,charming, bubbly girly girl who is a strong character but maybe a little too comfortable with her current life and then we have Will. Dashing Will! Sarcastic, funny, a little mean at first. They are world apart but through fate ( and Will disabilities) they met and slowly realize what one possessed, the other needs. Even if they never really knew it.

As the movie progress, they falls for each other and we all fall for them. I loved Emily as Lou and Sam as Will. They played their roles perfectly and the chemistry between then was undeniable. I think everyone should go and watch this movie if you love romantic comedy. It is hilarious at times and yet sweet. I assure you that you'll feel every emotion out there with this movie. It's so beautiful.

Go watch it and judge yourself. For me, this is an amazingly beautiful love story.
  • amedineabd5 September 2016
    A sad but meaningful story!
    One of the best Romantic movies lately.. I am very taken with Emilia Clark's performance and smile. She was amazing and breathtaking. The music is well chosen and the acting is good and there were some very touching moments that will make the audience who didn't watch yet cry. Lou is a funny young woman who wants to live a simple life, who wants to wear clothes and be fashionable in her own way. The paralyzed man is a damaged cause looking for hope. Both these characters are very different, yes they pick things from each other and they put smiles on each others faces. A couple that wouldn't get bored giving and taking to their souls.. Maybe, when it comes to believing in love unconditionally, Faith is hope then. Live the life as it faces you then. In health and sickness. In the sweetest moments and bitterest ones. Just live your life No matter what happens to you. Always get back and fight to survive and be alive. That is what this movie is all about...
  • Max L. Maclean2 June 2016
    The Tear-Jerking "Me Before You": Reminding Ourselves of Living Boldly!
    Thea Sharrock's film adaptation of Jojo Moyes's "Me Before You" is one of those hidden gems, which we should all watch rather early than later.

First, the talented British cast is impressive. Emilia Clarke, Sam Claflin, Janet McTeer, Charles Dance, Matthew Lewis, just to name a few, beautifully create an emotional journey, which is more than just a heart-breaking love story. Challenging our life perspectives every step of the way, these actors invite us to live boldly and seize the opportunities passing by.

Louisa Clarke (Emilia Clarke), a naive 26-year old English woman, lives in a peaceful village where nothing seems to be happening. Supporting her whole family financially, Lou has a dull life working hard without ever leaving our native city. When she loses her job at Buttered Bun Cafe, her world is turned upside down. Desperately looking for a new job, she goes to the local job center and is proposed to work for a despicable 30ish-year old quadriplegic man called Will Traynor. His desire not to get help makes him look miserable and frustrated. However, with time, Lou pierces his shell and unveils Will's true colors. She starts showing him how great his life could be. But one revelation changes their relationship forever.

Best known for his roles as Finnick Odair in "The Hunger Games" series, Sam Claflin's portrayal of Will is exquisite. It is almost inconceivable to imagine him not being a part of this movie. The physical and psychological challenge of playing a quadriplegic man, who needs to feel like a man again, elevates the English-born actor to Hollywood's acting A-list. In "Me Before You", Claflin convinces us that words are way more impactful than being good looking. Through his presence on the screen, Claflin inhabits one of the most powerful quotes of Jojo Moyes's original story, "You only get one life. It is actually your duty to live it as fully as possible".

Playing opposite Claflin, Emilia Clarke ("Game of Thrones") shines through with her naivety and authentic, clumsy attitude on the screen. Her unique facial expression, while crying and laughing, makes us fall even more for the quirky, innocent Lou. No one could have ever filled the role better than the Mother of Dragons herself. Emilia Clarke is LOU CLARKE! From her crazy outfits in the movie to her charming personality, Clarke has it all. "Me Before You" will be the catalyst in her career, so let's be ready to see some more of this bumble bee.

On a final note, we should be grateful to Jojo Moyes for questioning us on the reality of assisted suicide and physical disabilities.There are not lots of writers who have been able to make such a statement and shake the status quo when it comes to life and death, but Moyes did it beautifully.

The only thing left to say is: GO WATCH this movie! You will not regret it! It will make laugh, cry, but most importantly push you to embrace life fully!

P.S. Bring with you some tissues! You might need them!
  • mmbudny5 September 2016
    Thoroughly enjoyed the movie
    All movies can be scrutinized for faults, as some reviewers have done, but if the movie makes a mark, then those faults really don't matter, do they? I found the "angry" Will Traynor not completely believable, not like the anti-social Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets, but Sam Clafin did well with his transformation. Emilia Clarke was absolutely wonderful and I will be on the lookout for other roles she has taken and will undertake in the future. Kudos also to the characters who played Will's parents, Janet McTeer and Charles Dance. Two thumbs up for the movie. Am seriously considering whether the movie ought to bump another movie off my favorite 50 relationship movie list.
  • Branden Murphy1 June 2016
    It was a pretty cute
    Felt very derivative of Intouchables I did however really enjoy the romance that was in this film.

Emilia Clark has the most expressive face I have ever seen on camera.

Watch her eyebrows! That's all I have to say. You could almost watch this entire movie just staring at her eyebrows… I had a hard time not doing that.

I really enjoyed her character. She is a silly, eccentric, perpetually happy girl. With a pretty eclectic sense of style.

Emilia Clarke was perfectly cast for this role.

She ventures far from her intense power house character the Mother of Dragons from Game of Thrones.

At times it was hard to tell if Emilia Clarke the actress is just extremely expressive with her face, or if it was something she was doing for the role… which I suppose speaks to how well she did.

Because I'm thinking she was exaggerating it, therefore she played the part marvellously.

The male lead is Sam Claflin, who you will more than likely recognize but not be able to place. His largest role as of late is the water proficient fighter from the Hunger Games.

I also feel he played the part very well. No complaints, He has a great smile, or smirk, that he does through out, which allows us to empathize with him a little more when he seeming unlikable.

There are a lot of light moments, actually the whole movie has a very light tone to it… it's a serious topic, but with Clarke's character it's hard for anything to be too serious or solemn. There are those sombre moments, which is, I'm sure, why I was given a tissue box at the advance screening.

There were only a few editing aspects I didn't enjoy. There were far too many cuts in certain scenes… Emilia walking up to the mansion for the first time and her conversation on the bench with her boyfriend. They were distracting. This was sprinkled throughout the film to greater or lesser degrees.

I think the film looked pretty, great locations. And a wonderful set, really. The house Claflin's character lives in looks very nice. I loved all the walls that opened when pushed on. Very modern, and expensive I'm sure.

There is a little treat for any Harry Potter fans! Neville Longbottom, all grown up and looking fit, he plays the part of Emilia Clarke's boyfriend. I hope to see him in more roles, maybe even a lead one day.

As for family friendliness, this movie is a G, it is good to go. In the opening scene Claflin is presumably being intimate with his girlfriend, they are obviously naked, but nothing is shown, they are under sheets.

There is no cursing or obscenities in this movie worth mentioning.
  • boodt-6275810 June 2016
    A wonderful story
    I was expecting the usual American love story, but that's not what this is. I have neither seen nor heard of these actors prior to seeing this film. That said, I usually don't go to see films like this.

What a wonderful movie! The acting was so well done. My heart broke where it needed to break, and it laughed where it needed to laugh.

For those who need help working on their empathy, or the opening of the mind, this is a very good movie to see!

It's very thought provoking and I would even suggest to professors (philosophy,english,cultural perspectives in science, sociology) that they have their students write a paper on this. There are so many issues involved here. Great for discussion!