User Reviews (13)

• Radomir Ivanov27 November 2015
    Simply awful
    Have you ever watched a film that it seems longer than it actually is? Have you ever felt that the ending is so near but it turns out that you're nowhere near the half of it? This is the case with this one.

To start off, the story is nothing exciting or original but just the opposite - it's boring and predictable. The dialogues are bad and the way they are delivered makes them even terrible. It appears the director and the writer ran out of ideas and decided to fill the script with screaming and curse words which makes the film feel dull. The characters have no depth or development as the story progresses. No character stands out, none of them is really likable or memorable.

The acting is very poor. There are some scenes that are meant to be dramatic but because of bad acting they look funny. The actors make strange facial expressions which doesn't suite the situations their characters are in. The main actor has the same expression throughout the whole film as if he's constantly wondering what is going on. All actors are overacting and trying too hard.

The music used is calm and ambient but it's inappropriate for this kind of story (after all, it's about people trapped in a limo underwater). The visual pleasure is also ruined by the shaking camera even at times when it should be still.

A film that is not interesting enough to hold attention well. It has many flaws that make it unwatchable.
  • quincytheodore29 November 2015
    Just let it drown
    Submerged is part about incessant screaming by the stereotypical rich kids and part obscure noir narrative. It's ambitiously fueled by back and forth timelines as well as a shot in the dark for thriller genre, all of which are below standard. The lack of focus, inconsistent acting and bad characterization make it a very suffocating experience to endure.

Story opens up pretty interestingly with a reinforced car slowly drowning. It would've been better to stick with this core plot, instead it tries to be pretentiously clever with all sort of gangster subplots and highly unmemorable party junkie characters. The main lead has a couple of good scenes, although he still makes awkward expressions here and there. The rest of cast is even more imbalanced and as the pace shifts too many times, the plot ends up muddled and cumbersome.

Acting is poor all around, mostly because the script only consists of expected blaming and yelling. Not that the characters have any shred of spark in the first place, these people are like 90210 rejects with brasher attitude. To make matter worst, one third of the movie is dedicated to build these personalities without any effective result. Never mind likable, audience probably wouldn't recognize them mid-way through the movie and wouldn't care less about their situation.

Granted, it has some success with the thriller aspect of being confined in small space, albeit briefly. Then it falls like a rock in river with shady crime drama. There's a good ten minutes of standoff with people showing up literally behind each other while pointing gun. As if the random materialization isn't bad enough, the characters even engage in melee showdown while the camera insanely spins around them while they are making stupid faces.

Submerged has one decent idea, which it intentionally ruins with so many awful presentation fiasco. This is an allegory of strapping a cinder-block to oneself and jumping off the bridge.
  • larkinbelle-180-88771328 November 2015
    Some people are in the wrong jobs!
    I agree with the viewer Radomir, this movie is SIMPLY AWFUL no clue what the other viewers was watching saying "it is a good thriller", his brain must be wired wrong or he works for the people behind this cinematic crap; it seriously belongs to the trash can, an insult without an inch of common sense. Everything Radomir said is true, the acting is bad, the the story lacks and the action are of the dumbest i ever seen. I feel sorry for Tim Daly and Mario Van Peebles who i deem superior to such commercial garbage,and i watched this movie for, but as usual the attractive people instead of talented get in the front. The only good actor playing the main lead brother is Cody Christian who is currently working on Teen Wolf and Pretty Little Liars, and he was killed off!SHOCKER!Im not gonna resume all the movie but in brief only the parts and characters that really got on my nerves. Now i gotta say that actor from Chicago PD Samuel C Hung who plays Brandon in this movie was he worst disappointment, he just cannot play the crazy, his acting was ll over the map, overdone it, i just wanna yell" go back to Intelligence sit behind the computer and keep your mouth shut" ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL! The worst part was to watch the death of 5 people just to save the rich spoiled girl, after watching the leading actor,throughout the movie just sitting in the driving seat of a limo with a wound in his leg daydreaming and look around doing practically nothing,he suddenly gets creative to save the rich brat, he could have done that earlier saving everyone or at least try! All i wanted to do is to rip both characters apart! Then the two s****rs "driving in the sunset" at the end with her papa' blessings?? Please do no waste 99 min of you life on this sh**, i have been regretting that ever since.SERIOUSLY WRITERS?? Please You need a change of career!
  • TexiCaliMovieLover674 June 2016
    Above Average Thriller for this day and age
    I've been visiting IMDb.com for over 8 years and this is my first online review, ever. I'm writing this review because I've seen a lot of bad movies, and this is not one of them.

Maybe it's because of my age (I'm in my 40s), but I disagree with the negative reviews posted. Funny thing is, I almost skipped over this one because of the bad reviews -- I'm glad I didn't because this movie draws you in and, after the first 20 minutes, I was hooked... and you will be too.

In this day and age where it seems all Hollywood can do is either create movies from comic book heroes OR remake classics, it's hard to find good movies to watch. Is Submerged the best movie ever made? No. But, it's definitely way, way better than average.

I thought the director used the flashbacks very well in building the characters and telling the story. The acting was definitely above average and there is more than enough tension. Mario Van Peebles did a great job, too. Where the heck has Mario been?? Jonathan Bennett and Tim Daly also were very good -- the entire cast did well. Finally, the cinematography, the editing and the music are all top notch. I can't understand why all the bad reviews. Submerged is a good thriller and worth your while to watch.

I'm not going to give any of the story away but if you are over 30 years old and you're looking for a good thriller to pass the time, don't pass this one up. It will keep you submerged... until the end.

Kudos to the director, the producers, the cast... and everyone involved.
  • neilor-130 September 2017
    Not a masterpiece but a decent movie
    First of all this is a B-movie. Don't judge is as a film by Spielberg of Tarantino. As a thriller it has enough suspense and twists. The scenario is interesting and actors are doing very well. Overall Submerged is worth watching and I didn't regret that I stumbled upon it. Don't pay attention to reviews – watch the film and decide for yourself!
  • trudyjessup23 July 2017
    Good Thriller / Fun Ride
    Not sure this one is gonna win an Oscar, but it's impressive work for such a low budget. They seemed to bite off a lot and although there were a few misses, overall it connects. It's definitely a fun ride and hits with some good tension and scares. Performances hold up under difficult circumstances. Overall it's very enjoyable and would recommend to others.
  • jelliejune19 February 2016
    I never give one star.
    Or well, I hardly ever give one star to a movie. I can always find something to like about it. But this? This was a train wreck from start to finish. Honestly, why people give it good reviews is beyond me.

It was the poster that intrigued me to watch this movie, I like photography and that looked like a poster from a movie I'd enjoy watching on Friday night. But, I actually spend more time playing a game on my phone than watching the actual movie - because I have a policy not to turn off movies, even when they suck. The acting was terrible, the multiple plot twist were terrible, the film angles and sound were terrible. Do I need to go on?

Though the guy from Teen Wolf was kind of cute for the three minutes he was actually in the movie? Maybe he is the one star.

To put it in one word, this movie was an entire NOPE.
  • Peter Pluymers3 May 2016
    A sunken limo, filled with spoiled rich kids. Sounds like "Beverly Hills 90210" in a fish bowl.
    "Submerged". The only thing I'm excited about is the sublime movie poster. A good example of an excellent graphic design with a brilliant and powerful one-liner "You can not scream and hold your breath at the same time". Now, the unfortunate teens who are trapped in a sunken limo, haven't hold their breath, I'm sure. On the contrary, there was a lot of shouting to be heard down there. Would I be in such a claustrophobic situation, I would break out in a cold sweat. I really don't like confined spaces. But admit it, being trapped in a limousine at the bottom of a canal, knowing that the pressure on that modest roof must be enormous, while being surrounded by some young hotheads who are acting hysterical and blaming each other, looks like a far worse nightmare.

So if you're expecting an exciting, nerve-racking movie, you'll be brought down to earth with a shock. The moment Matt (Jonathan Bennett) sees the nose of the sophisticated limousine dive into the water, it looks like this might be the start of a promising thriller. Unfortunately you'll subsequently undergo a series of flashbacks that explain the cause of this accident. Also we come to know that Matt has a younger brother, Dylan (Cody Christian), with some personal problems. This seemed like a irrelevant parallel plot. In the end the whole thing leads to Jessie (Talulah Riley). She's the daughter of businessman and millionaire Hank (Tim Daly), who evoked the wrath of the locals due to drastic cutbacks. Therefore, he recruited Matt as his chauffeur and bodyguard to protect him and his daughter from possible reprisals.

The remaining part of the film shows the situation in the sunken limousine and the efforts being made by the youngsters to get out. Matt can't help with this since he's impaled in some way to the car. Jessie lies unconscious next to him after she was being drugged. And the only thing the other hysterical four sitting in the back could come up with, was useless banging on windows and accusing each other of being an accomplice. That's why Matt closes the soundproof partition now and then. Next to a totally implausible denouement, there are also some ridiculous and ludicrous developments. I'm still trying to figure out how the trick with the trunk of the car worked. The designer of this car was very foreseeing. And I'm also pretty sure that a smashed glass roof would cause a devastating flood of water and not only such a pitifully little bit of water.

The most positive part was the running time. It's a short and compact wannabe thriller without much sensational events. Most of it, is already shown elsewhere before. Afterward, it looks more like a thriller-episode of "Melrose Place" or some similar crap teen series from the 80s. Talulah Riley is a spoiled brat that doesn't really excels when it comes to intelligence (look for "Inception" in IMDb and you'll see she plays a "Blonde" there). Actually, the whole gang has a similar level of intelligence. You can conclude that the idea behind the story is kind of original, but the elaboration failed hugely.

More reviews here : http://bit.ly/1KIdQMT
  • djangozelf-1235127 November 2015
    Pretty good for an indie thriller.
    This is actually better than I expected. It's in no way top notch but it's a nice story. Told in flashback style while they are trapped in this limo.

For B-movie actors they acted well enough. Most famous name being Mario van Peebles and he played an unusual character. Direction felt solid and the story falls nicely in place in the end.

Special effects are not great but sufficient. Camera work sometimes felt a little "experimental" but also O.K. One of the better indie movies I've seen in a while.

I recommend you go see it.

It's worth checking out sometime.
  • Leofwine_draca26 September 2017
    Falls short of expectations
    SUBMERGED is a disappointing low budget thriller from the man who brought us the excellent little gem THE AGGRESSION SCALE. It's nowhere near on the same scale as that fine film; instead this is a single-location thriller that lacks suspense and thrills. The story sees an unlikeable bunch of teenagers trapped underwater in a limousine, but instead of focusing on their situation, the whole thing descends into endless flashbacks which go down the low rent thriller route. There are no recognisable or indeed likable actors here aside from Mario Van Peebles in a bit part. Overall, it's a big disappointment.