• dbkdances9 May 2015
    Fonda and Tomlin hit it out of the park
    I binged the series over a 2-day period and wished there was more. The characters were well developed and the whole thing was very entertaining. It covered many bases that divorce can bring about to family and friends, and dealt with issues of loss, honesty and aging, among others.

I wish Sheen and Waterston had had greater chemistry between them, but their interactions with the family members were believable and poignant. I especially enjoyed June Diane Raphael and Baron Vaughn, as two of the four adult children.

What I can't decide is who I liked better, Fonda or Tomlin. In each case, they braved characterizations that were vulnerable and multi-faceted. In the case of each, this is their best performance, and the two together were phenomenal. Funny one moment and heart-tugging the next.

This is an adult story, in the best sense of the word.
  • gregorybnyc8 May 2015
    Fonda & Tomlin Are Magic Together
    I will always love Lily Tomlin. I always enjoyed Jane Fonda in her youthful movie star mode, but since she came out of retirement, she elevates everything she's in. I think she was the primary reason I kept watching Newsroom for three seasons. I kept waiting for her every appearance. In Grace and Frankie, Tomlin and Fonda have to overcome a rather unbelievable situation--that is to face the fact that they husbands they have been married to for over forty years have somehow falling in love and intend to marry each other. Relegated to a kind of "Odd Couple" status, they end up living in a Malibu beach house their husbands bought years earlier. Each couple used the house on separate weekends. Now Grace and Frankie have to pick up the shattered pieces of their lives and move on. Jane Fonda as Grace is at her brittle comedic best. She delivers in spades, looks stunning in her latish 70s and plays off Lily Tomlin's hippy-esque character with spunk and funny nerve. Grace has to face the fact that she's an uptight, judgmental pain in the ass. And Tomlin's Frankie is just the person to remind her over and over again. The scripts are tightly funny. The interplay between the two ex-couples is expert. Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen have nearly thankless roles as the two spouses who dump their wives, but they handle the dialog ad the romantic banter with dignity. But let's face it, you're waiting for Grace and Frankie to spark off each other. It's not the kind of laugh-out-loud absurdest insults The Golden Girls hurled at each other with such glee, but the humor is key here. There is is just enough drama to remind us of the absurdity of life. I couldn't wait to watch this show when it was announced. Fonda and Tomlin were terrific with Dolly Parton in Nine to Five, but they are even better here. This is a terrific show. I'll stick around as long as these two glorious stars are here to make us laugh and cry.
  • Michael Sweet10 May 2015
    Superb - A brilliant series full of talent
    This is a brilliant and timely series. Sheen, Waterston, Fonda, and Tomlin. I'd guess nearly 200 years of combined acting experience. It shows. The writing in this series is witty and attentive to popular culture. It gently picks away at the nonsense in our contemporary lives and exposes the raw human condition. The only thing that eats at me a little is the upper-class white privilege that penetrates throughout. Despite this, the series makes some very real, critical, and timely social commentary. At the very moment that the Supreme Court of the United States debates gay marriage, we have Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston - two very straight and very accomplished actors - kissing on the screen.

Having met Jane Fonda, Lilly Tomlin, and Martin Sheen, I can tell you that these actors care deeply about their work and the role it plays in advancing social justice.

Sadly, many will critique this show along political lines - whether they support equal rights or not. Watch it for yourself, it's good TV.
  • Michael Sullivan10 May 2015
    Simply Charming
    Though I see where one may feel it's dull or "Flat" as one reviewer called it. It's because this show has a sense of honesty and a realistic charm to make you forget its a show and not something happening to a friend. When something seems real it loses a bit of edge, real isn't sexy (girls wearing black thongs every night sexy/not real, ugly laundry or period panties so not sexy/ oh so real).This gem of a show has Tomlin, Fonda, Sheen and Waterson, Living Legends and they prove it in each scene. The history their characters have in some part feels more authentic do to the history the cast must actually have. Years working in the same industry, on a number of projects together (West Wing, Newsroom, 9 to 5, to name a few). The added connections brought by their children brilliantly played by Raphael, Vaughn, Decker and especially Ethan Embry legitimizes the story because no matter what we do it always effects our kids even if they're grown. The revolving door of great guest stars is that perfect little finishing touch to an already great freshman year. I cant wait for more , it does not help that I too binge watched in one sitting just created a longer wait for my self.
  • Nicole Underhill9 May 2015
    I binged the whole thing in one night!
    Two couples who have known each other (and not necessarily loved each other) all their lives find out in their 70's that the two husbands are gay and in love. HA! And have been for the better part of 20 years sneaking around behind their families backs.

Man Fonda is looking good! What is she on? Magic? Sam is hilarious! I mean he's got this whole gay thing down and together with Martin Sheen... Their fights are something I found myself really looking forward to and hoping there would be reasons for more. Tomlin so heartbreaking. You want her to be happy so badly but she truly just wanted to be with her husband and they are simply best pals. Oh the Coach from Parenthood dates Fonda. Fantastic performance and how true to life that just when you are enjoying being single, some swinging d(*k comes along and wants to settle you down. I am a 40 yof and I couldn't stop watching until it was binged fully. I highly recommend this. It's good to see TV that isn't teenagers sucking blood.
  • mmccord912611 May 2015
    Up there with Friends, Northern Exposure,....
    Grace and Frankie is a heartfelt comedy excellently portrayed by four veteran actors. This original comedy takes you into the lives of two couples and their families as they work through a major change in family dynamics. You'll find yourself wanting to learn more about the four main characters and how they adapt to their ensuing life changes. You'll find yourself empathizing with Grace and Frankie as they each reconcile with the end of their 40 year marriages. New opportunities for personal growth and understanding of different lifestyles create a platform for growth and understanding between all four characters. I watched all 13 episodes in 3 days and I did indeed laugh out-loud! Hats off to NetFlix for delivering a much needed adult comedy. Thank you to Lily, Jane, Sam and Martin for breathing the life into these characters.
  • snowdogmom-710-80550310 May 2015
    Worth watching, great cast that didn't disappoint.
    I was pleasantly surprised by Grace and Frankie. So often lately I have been disappointed in spite of a stellar cast. In this case the cast lived up to their reputations and I have to commend Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen for their performances. Another reviewer who stated "The thing about dramedies is that you want them to both be funny and dramatically compelling (i.e. Transparent). Grace and Frankie wasn't especially funny. And the trite hippie/uptight odd couple theme undercuts the drama; how sorry can you feel for clichés?" I'm not sure if he actually watched more than the 1st episode and if he didn't he missed the best part as it did start off a bit slow but Grace and Frankie is compelling with several interesting stories to tell with humor thrown in where it was needed. I felt like I was peeking in on 2 real families as they dealt with life changing events. I liked this so much more than Transparent which I thought was one huge cliché. The writing here was so much better and didn't rely on continual shock value, excessive foul language, and gratuitous nudity to get the story told or to hold the viewers interest. The solid script and performances did that in Grace and Frankie.
  • B.g. Thomas12 May 2015
    I Love This Show!
    I will admit the first episode is kind of "meh." I wasn't thrilled. I mean this was Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda! It should have been rolling funny.

It wasn't. And the second episode? Well...

But then!! OMGosh!

By the third episode the writers and cast and crew had found their stride and I was in love. So clever! So funny! So sweet! So engaging! Yes, that is a lot of explanation points but I couldn't help it. The show deserves them all.

Lily is simply wonderful as Frankie. I mean I fell in love with her. I want her as my BFF. Fonda was wonderful as well as the uptight Grace. She could have played it as a cliché but I was happy to find myself slowly warming up her as the episodes passed. In other words, Fonda showed up the person beneath the outer shell.

I liked Sheen but was crazy about Waterston playing the men who leave their wives to be with each other.

I wasn't crazy about some of the kids, but that wasn't the actor's faults. They did great. I just didn't find them very likable people. But again that was all right.

For instance is Brooklyn Decker cold as Mallory--but she was a chip off her old mother (Fonda). And Fonda's other daughter, June Diane Raphael as Brianna, is a bit of a bit*h. But again, she was a product of a mother who was never there and very self involved.

I did however love Ethan Embry as Coyote (one of Tomlin's adopted kids). He is a recovering addict of all kinds and my heart went out to him. The only member of the cast that I was cold to was Baron Vaughn as Nwabudike (the other adopted son). I don't want to be mean but he was terrible. He approached his character as if this show were a 70s sitcom and not a Netflix dramedy--his acting over the top. He jolted me out of the story every time.

I really hope this show comes back for a second season. I loved it!
  • miriacs689 May 2015
    Watched the whole series in one afternoon
    Watching it all at once gave you sense of it being more a lengthy movie than a sitcom and that word doesn't even suit it. I found it delighful, the first episode wasn't memorable but had me intrigued enough to go for more and I am so glad.

Fonda looks amazing! OMG, even if she had plastic surgery or not, to cut such a striking figure at 77, you just want what she has been on and she plays the dutiful uptight wife so well.

Tomlinson is her exact opposite, but equally as brilliant in her roles as the forgotten hippy. Her wardrobe is absolutely fantastic.

Waterson and Sheen actually make a hugely believable older gay couple, there is no awkwardness and they fit together so well.

It will remind you of the odd couple as Fonda/Tomlinson find each other pushed together over the circumstances of their husbands announcing they have been in a secret relationship for 20 years and finally breaking free of their wives and making a life together, including marrying. But rather than an ongoing joke, you will see Fonda/Tomlinson come together as new found friends, that was always simmering in the past but neither could get past each other's nuances. You kinda get they really they always needed each other.

Their respective families characters are a little wishy washy and it's hard to get into their "heads" at first and I think it does take the entire series to really understand any of them.

I am looking forward to season 2 and further development of all the characters, I just hope that it ends before it get's stale, too many seasons would see this show become a soap opera, instead of a wonderful look into the older generation. Forget the Golden Girls, they were quintessential for their time, but they brought far more satire and humour to the subject of ageing rather than the serious side which Grace and Frankie do.
  • beautyls10 May 2015
    Great Show = I loved it.....
    I loved the show, I hope there will be another season. I am looking forward to the next season. I watched the whole season in one afternoon. I found the show to be very funny. I love Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda. The story line was very creative, and the casting was perfect. I have read the reviews and I am happy that some enjoyed the show as much as I did. I don't find a lot of the Netflix shows on TV but I am a true fan of Netflix and find most their shows are very entertaining. I have had Netflix for years and find they have excellent shows. Grace and Frankie was a true gem of a show. Wow ten lines is a lot of information for someone like me that is not a big talker.
  • cindymerriman17 May 2015
    Grace & Frankie
    This is an 11 out of 10 for rating. I find the entire cast amazing, and one of the best shows I've seen on net flex in a while. Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin look amazing, and make a great team. I power watched the episodes in one day, and awaiting many more. Keep them coming - I can't wait for more. I love Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen, and as actors, they make it seem so real. The actors portraying the children -awesome choice for great acting and seemed to have the reactions fitting for this type of family drama Brooklyn, Ethan, June and Baron nice job. Looking forward to this series continuing, and the chemistry between Jane & Lily, you nailed it. Keep up the good work.
  • Peter2206015 May 2015
    VERY FUNNY SCRIPTING OF a 21st Century happening
    I find the performances of Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin terrific. I think the criticism of the acting is a misunderstanding of possible real life circumstances. Sam Waterston's character is probably what you might expect from someone married thirty five years, and in the same relationship for twenty years... my dull life continues. Martin Sheen seems to make his character more "Birdcage" and is not quite as enthusiastic as I would expect in view of "the odd couples'" engagement.

I loved Lily Tomlin's beach scene. It reminded me of a scene from the movie CONNIE AND CARLA. The two women will carry this show. Their performances in NINE TO FIVE have given them the cooperative experience to make this show work.

For an audience which contain millennial, their heads and sexuality views are expecting too much from characters that are in their seventies.

I don't know any senior same sex marrieds, but I would assume they have the same lives as many bored "traditional" couples.

I will admit that if the men cast were Spencer Tracy and Cary Grant, and the women cast were Kathryn Hepburn and Lucille Ball, everyone would be screaming, Bravo, Encore (and not the television networks).
  • Elizabeth Dial24 May 2015
    Polyamorous Us
    Polyamory, many loves, that is what this show is about. Beautifully written, lots of wit and charm, great actors, story for our times. I LOVE this show!

Makes me laugh. Makes me cry.... especially a scene in the final episode.... but I'm not going to be the spoiler =) What I do want is another season of this show to see where all that goes!

I love the character in their early 70's. It makes it all that much more quirky.... and real. Not real as in, that's how TRUE middle America would act. But real, as in that's how life evolves.

Great stuff. So glad I found it. Maybe not for the 70-something or over crowd (but I hope so!), but especially for the 40-50-60 something crowd, Grace & Frankie is setting the tone for us.

PLEASE, keep more episodes in production!
  • cfleszar17 May 2015
    I can relate! Great show focused on Straight Spouses.
    As a straight spouse, I love this show! The one thing I'd like to work in is Straight Spouse Network, www.straightspouse.org , an organization and support group that has saved many of us.

I'm five years out from disclosure on June 12. My ex and I are in a really good place. I'm no longer in love with him... but we love and care about each other a lot. We are very good friends and awesome parents together to our four young daughters. He has a serious boyfriend who seems like a good guy that has met the kids.

But no matter how good of a place we're in, tgt (the gay thing) is something we never totally "get over." The pain is too deep and life changing.

Watching Grace & Frankie, I started crying when Frankie went to her gay husband/best friend's bed and cuddled. Totally me. I clung to him after disclosure. I found the most comfort in the arms of the person causing my pain. In many respects, my ex is like the character Sol. I pretty much cried through the first episode after that cuddling scene. ... though laughing at the jokes, through tears that seemed to hit the mark in many ways. This show has people involved who have lived through this trauma. That is clear in so many ways that a non-straight spouse wouldn't notice.

While this show isn't the exact straight spouse experience, for entertainment, it is a massive flying leap in the right direction, many things are a true reflection of our experience. It not only puts the idea of straight spouses in front of the general public, it focuses a show on their pain and process more than anyone else has dared to do.

If a show or movie reflected the true experience of a str8, no one would produce it or watch it yet. No one could tolerate a show about my bawling, vomiting, curled up in a ball on the cement basement floor under a shelving unit, wishing the earth would suck me in.... while being unable to answer the calls of my children trying to find me. Weeks in, it would celebrate my victory of managing to make Mac&Cheese. That show would have no viewers resulting in no one being exposed to straight spouses... or having a clue that it hurts.

I am grateful for this show and the huge impact it's making. It gives the entertainment industry permission to share the straight spouse experience in an honest manner. It'll only become more honest and true as the industry and audiences become comfortable with it.

Thank you for this show!!!
  • jlthornb5125 May 2015
    Bitter Disappointment and an Awful Flop
    Given the talent involved with Grace and Frankie and the legendary status of its stars, this is one of the most bitter disappointments to ever be produced in any entertainment medium. Watching something this terrible is more like torture than entertainment. Is this supposed to be a comedy, a tragedy, a farce, or drama? It doesn't work as any of those and not as any combination thereof. The chuckles are few and far between but the squirm factor is quite high. It's painful to watch actors of such stature, a Martin Sheen and a Sam Waterston, deliver lines that are so forced and stilted. Tomlin and Fonda do little better with the dialog they are given and one can't help but feel the writers have betrayed all of them outrageously and are arrogantly indifferent to their hapless victims' suffering. Have these people no shame? Perhaps this looked good on paper but it's absolutely awful. Rarely does it seem possible an audience may be suffering flop sweats from watching a bad show but one senses that may be happening from the perspective of personal experience. Flop sweats on behalf of the respected actors? That may be some new ground broken with this show. Painful is a word that begs to be repeated. None of this is because this particular viewer is sensitive to the subject mater or prudish in anyway. That is not the case at all. It is more a matter of being subjected to watching some favorite actors humiliated by really poor material supplied by hacks. If this were a Broadway play, it would have closed after the first night and be soon forgotten because it hurts too much to remember it. The cast of this fiasco were not afforded that opportunity and unfortunately, Grace and Frankie is going to be on Netflix forever. At least it will seem that way.
  • pyler-2579025 May 2015
    this show has amazing stars and it is not funny
    Who is writing this,twenty somethings?, I really tried to give it a go. The characters are so one dimensional (Martin Sheen is the only one that I can believe).The relationship between Sol and Robert is almost believable, but the relationship between Grace and Frankie is dull and superficial. And there are a lot of funny things that could happen besides making shoe jokes. Also Grace and Frankie are so stereotypical and it's just not funny. I watched this to get a laugh and could not find one. The children in the show confuse me, they are disconnected, it seems like they got written in later as an after thought. If the writers could sit in a room with me and my friends they would see just how funny life after 60 can be.
  • Phylum2213 May 2015
    The most awful TV programme
    For such a stellar cast I would have expected some real acting. This is possibly the worst thing I have ever seen.

The jokes fall flat or are just obscene. The actors seem wooden and stiff, the two husbands seen very uncomfortable with the intimate side of their relationship. The two wives are slightly better. The children are not convincing and the acting leaves a lot to be desired.

I am onto episode 3, thought I'd see if it picked up, but is still as bad as the pilot.

All in all a truly terrible effort from such high rated stars.

I am astounded at the high IMDb score.
  • Siobhan Lydon10 May 2015
    They have a great concept and don't ruin it
    The writers have a great concept, stellar cast and unlike most films / shows these days, they don't totally wreck it.

The concept is simple - two straight married couples break up after 40 years of friendship when the husbands decided to marry each other. The wives help each other recover by moving in with each other.

The natural humour comparison is with '9 to 5' when Fonda, Tomlin and Parton set a new bar for humour'. The story is far from reality because no wife would be that easy going and certainly won't go to the husbands wedding without a flame-thrower.

Michael Sheen and Sam Waterston are a novel couple, surprisingly relaxed about coming out after sneaking about for 20 years.

There are no 'belly laughs' but it is enjoyable. As we say in Ireland 'Up with This Sort of Thing'.
  • Cathy Oliver14 May 2015
    Totally enjoying this!
    I'm finding this to be the perfect show for me right now. Maybe because I am nearing the time of life of Grace and Frankie, if not their exact situation. I am trying to figure out which of them I am most like and find I fit somewhere between them both and wish I was MORE like each of them. I think the family dynamics between the parents and their respective children is very realistic as well as the children to each other. I am only on episode six and am already distressed that I will be finished too soon. I sure hope this isn't going to be the only season. I laugh out loud even though I watch it alone. That, to me, is a wonderful scenario. Laughter is contagious so when you are watching something with others and they laugh, it's easy to laugh along. When you find yourself laughing at something on your own, even at yourself, it's cathartic and fills me joy!
  • perez-j-alberto10 September 2015
    This Show Should be Called Horrible People
    This show barely merits the time it is taking to write these few words. It is a joke, and one that is not funny at that. It was a chain of cliché's wrapped around the decaying careers of previously good actors. The writing is complete drivel. Not one character has any redeeming quality. It is (accidentally) a show about being in being self-centered and in a state of self-absorption. In that respect it is fascinating especially seeing how many people seem to have loved it. What did they love? Mean Jane Fonda? Dim-witted Lily Tomlin? Narcissistic Martin Sheen? Sad Sam Waterston? All hate- worthy. And the topic of sexuality is written in such a flippant, unrealistic manner, we can only assume that at some level it is actually mean-spirited.
  • Katerina Robertovla18 July 2015
    Pure Garbage
    I knew immediately when the two couples sat down to dinner that the two men were going to say "We're in love." Actually I knew they were going to say "We've been in love a *long* time." Sheen was the least believable of the two male characters. Waterston seemed to have more of a soul.

Nevertheless. ..

What a stupid, clichéd TV show-- an insult to not only the actors playing these characters but also to the viewers.

The two women were so - so. How ridiculous that they had to say all those stupid lines and mug for the camera over and over again about their shocking situation.

This TV series is just more evidence of the U.S.'s downward spiral. Our culture is stupid, vapid, dumbed down and gives no hope.
  • dierregi28 September 2017
    Saving Grace
    It is not easy to find entertainment targeted to older audience, especially when it comes to series. I had high hopes for this program, but they were crushed.

Grace and Frankie are dumped by husbands Robert and Sol who were secret lovers and now plan to marry. The couples have two kids each, two girls and two boys who take this news extremely well (apart from a minor glitch at the "coming out" dinner).

Although the title misleads you to believe that the plot should be about the dumped ex-wives, we get an overdose of Robert and Sol's married life, being sweet to the point of cloying. As mentioned during an episode, deceitful men get best wishes and gifts and old women get scorn. To prove that misbehavior and selfishness always pay.

In one of the episodes, Robert insists in shoving down his 90 yo mother's throat the news that he is gay. This type of "confession", although dearly loved by American serials, is nothing more that utter selfishness (as mentioned by the mother). To me it also seemed spiteful and revengeful, a way to hurt somebody by delivering information they do not care (or need) to receive.

The four kids, despite being super cool about their fathers'cheating and lying for the previous twenty years, are all annoying.

Finally, Frankie grows more irritating each episode and she has way too much dialog. I find myself increasingly wishing she would shut up instead of blurting out more stupid and unfunny lines. She moved swiftly from lovable eccentric to nutty and overbearing.

I just finished the episode where gets hysterical because Grace owns a gun and I found Frankie's reaction cringe-worthily childish. Don't understand why Grace and Sol would sit around and wait for Frankie to stop singing her stupid song, instead or leaving.

For all her harshness, Grace is the only bearable character. I really do not know why she does not move out of the beach house, because Frankie is insufferable.

Conclusion: the title should be "Robert and Sol, happily married and occasionally Grace and Frankie, their over-the-hill, losers ex-wives"
  • cristiana1900-799-58210124 May 2015
    Wonderful Show - Intelligent, drama and comedy at once
    I felt compelled to write a review due to the many negative ones I read. I preface by saying that I never watch so called comedy and especially TV shows lasting under 45 min. for a variety of reasons, but did so because of a recommendation from a close friend. I was fearing the usual vulgarity of language, cliché', and the standard married with children routine. I was very surprised however. This is a very powerful dramedy with a fantastic cast. The acting is superb. The characters of the extended family slowly build and are well cast. Between the ability of the writers and the skill of the actors, much more was conveyed in the what I call "paintbrushes" style: concise sentences or mute behaviors. Lily Tomlin's ability to move from one emotion to another in "grand intense style", combined with Jane Fonda's own artistry and satire created a good chemistry. I also enjoy the juxtaposition of their lives with that of their live-in husbands. Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston are greatly paired and the pain that goes along with any marriage breaking apart after 40 years is never overlooked. Of course the reasons for the break-up allow the writers to address the issue of coming out late in life with all its complications. This is real life, not some far fetched scyfy or demeaning homophobia. Here nobody wins. Though it is obvious that many families may not react in the same way, this show is choosing to emphasize more complex feelings rather than focus on shouting matches, anger, betrayal,revenge, and divorce battles. It is much more subtle and those gems woven almost too quickly in the cinematography or screenplay require a receptive empathetic brain who can appreciate a show where comedy is not a jumble of crass words, shouting matches between couples with children, sex romps, and the likes. Thank you Netflix for giving us a show that actually can mix other feelings to laughter in a nice recipe. I never give 9 for comedies, but this one deserves it (IMO). I hope the Network picks this show for another season.
  • Brigid O Sullivan (wisewebwoman)31 May 2015
    Beyond Belief
    Grace & Frankie is simply appalling. On so many levels.

I started watching it and finished forever at the end of the first episode.

Caricatures, all of them. Plastic faces trying to convey emotion of any kind is a challenge not met well in this sad, sad effort.

Add to that: appalling schlock for a script. Cringeworthy.

I do wonder who's writing this stuff as every scene is an insult to the intelligence.

It begs the question: who would watch this drivel. Do these actors have a pulse anymore?

I couldn't say Grace & Frankie is a train wreck because a train wreck would demand attention. But the entire Red Cross couldn't help this pathetic production.

All these wonderful old stars thrown into this pit of ridicule is very, very sad.

It should have been terminated at the first table reading.

1/10. Awful. Shameful. A travesty.
  • jcwilliams-4406518 May 2015
    This Show's Writing and Directing Borders on Retardedness
    Grace & Frankie is simply god awful and so disappointing.

Most other reviewers with rave reviews on this site are either written by the production's interns or have simply drank the cool-aid because this show is absolutely painful to watch...

so drawn out with so many stupid, pointless scenes one after another after another.

Grace & Frankie is a train wreck of a production pretty much all the way through.

I felt sorry for the fine cast, they deserve much better -- this show is a great waste of talent.

It truly comes down to the writing...

equally as bad as the direction...

Definitely NOT ready for prime time -- or even cable or DVD... or VHS for that matter.