• t-hogarth11 August 2016
    Another Danny McBride classic!
    Here's the thing, Danny McBride's comedy is very much down to individual taste. In much the same way as Ricky Gervais's material it is meant to shock, make you cringe, make you laugh out loud and usually, in the end, make you realise that there can be moments of redemption for even the most self centred, unlikeable characters.

The interplay in this between McBride and Goggins is brilliant. Goggins's insults drip with a hilarious straightforward honesty towards McBride's Gamby whilst McBride is happy to play second fiddle in the interchanges. The begrudged respect that develops between the characters at times is then all the more heartwarming.

Simply put, if you liked East Bound and Down you will like Vice Principals. If you like Vice Principals and haven't seen East Bound and Down then make it next on your list - you'll love it. For all the people that don't like the show, that's OK too, it just means that this will become a cult classic.
  • bnitcamela21 July 2016
    Mean Spirited and Funny
    I have to start by saying that some of the negative reviews are as funny as the show itself, if not only for the fact that they clearly miss the humor and unironically point to exactly the cringe-inducing moments of black comedy as examples of mean-spiritedness or unredeemable characters.

Duh. That's kind of the point.

Also, be wary of any review that is almost entirely predicated on one person's opinion that a particular actor is being misutilized - especially if it's obvious that this person holds that actor in inflated esteem. The acting, so far - only one episode in - is pretty spot on.

Danny McBride has a gift for depicting totally unrelatable, yet not entirely unsympathetic misanthrope. He delivers extremely inappropriate dialog without cracking the thin veneer of believability. Walton Goggins, in his characteristic Alabama accent, plays foil to McBride as a character who the viewer can believe actually likes his fellow human beings. Both of them are, in their own ways, shameless self-promoters and viciously ambitious career climbers who totally overlook the fact that they've abandoned their moral compass in pursuit of a less than lofty goal.

The only weakness I can really point to is the family scenarios and the relatively unbelievable ex-wife's new husband - a character in his mid to late 40s who dresses and acts like a one-dimensional talking Hot Topic mannequin.

I'm interested in where they take the next several episodes and I'd recommend checking it out if you like dark humor or any of the actors involved.
  • Ana_Banana9 August 2016
    Excellent situations comedy
    Finally a funny role for Danny McBride and a fine performance by him (and others, too)! He is perfect for this, and although I've seen only 3 episodes, I get a good vibe about this show. Of course it's crude about the selfishness of people, of course the characters (teachers included!) are immature, of course the themes are dark, and of course many things are exaggerated (hey, it's a comedy!), but it's very well written and performed. And if one of the accusations against it was that it's not politically correct, then we live in a very, very sad world. If we can't make fun anymore about the ugly side of us but we pretend it's not there in a very PC way, that doesn't mean we'd be free from it.

LE: Episode 5 wasn't funny at all. Hope the show hasn't gone burnt out already!
  • ben-2987320 October 2017
    really funny
    NO SPOILERS

this show is freaking brilliant. some people might disagree with me, but i see the logic behind it, and the comedy suits my taste. i really hope they will ignore the bad reviews (that honestly, have no real argument behind why the show is bad) and keep making more seasons. ill even go further to say that the show is intelligent in its own way.

just for the record, i loved "the office", "peep show" and many many more comedy shows.
  • kkelley11120 July 2016
    Crude, rude, yet hysterical
    Don't be discouraged by the other reviews: Vice Principals is a hilarious dark comedy. It's not politically correct and guess what, it's not meant to be. Danny McBride does what he's best at, wrote a series that contains incredibly flawed main characters that cannot fathom why they are unfortunate in life all the while offending every person within earshot. The series centers around two man-children vying for a shot at being the principal, the series is not meant to be taken seriously. its meant to be taken as a satirical and exaggerated examination on human tendencies to accomplish goals at all cost regardless of who or what may be in the way. If you're a fan of east bound and down or enjoy watching deeply flawed characters that have little moral fiber try to assume an air of professionalism, give this show a chance and understand the series is a COMEDY! It's crude, ludicrous and a definite guilty pleasure and I cannot wait to see more of this show.
  • rw26620 September 2016
    In REALLY bad taste but LOL funny
    I know a lot of folks may find this show offensive but lets get real for a minute, this is a LOL COMEDY show, loads of bad taste, that's the whole point you morons.

Forget the critics, this is a great LOL funny non PC show. I've heard the critics say it's too mean and just because the main victim is Black, it seems much closer to reality than most of white middle class America feels comfortable with.

The point is the two protagonists are loosers,greedy and stupid but still think they are "entitled" to be the boss has a lot more truth than most Bubbas like to admit.
  • Fanofmoviesandtv1 September 2016
    Better Than Eastbound and Down!
    Nothing has made me laugh harder than Eastbound and Down but i think Vice Principals is a better program. Having two main characters with separate story lines makes it flow consistently as opposed to Eastbound which is devoted entirely to Kenny Powers' debauchery. Neil Gamby is also a more likable character: although he certainly has his demons, his position as VP and devotion to his daughter makes me respect him much more than Kenny.

Furthermore, Lee and Neil bounce off each other so magnificently. While Stevie Janowski is one of the funniest characters in television history he was the court jester to a character that's pretty much a court jester himself.

All in all it's refreshing to see that Danny and Jody Hill have created a show that depicts hilarious characters and small town USA to a T without relying on constant drug abuse and cringe-worthy behavior from beginning to end. Sure the show is cringe-worthy but it's less a product of shock-value as was the case with Eastbound.
  • Bob Pepperoni21 July 2016
    One episode in and everyone is already writing it off
    Does this show deserve a 10 out of 10 after one episode? Hell no. I'm a huge fan of Jody Hill and Danny McBride's humor dating back to The Foot Fist Way and I found this episode to be a great setup for what appears to be another crazy ass show.

The first episode was mildly entertaining and I personally found it to be a bit boring. Long story short, if you are not a fan of McBride's previous work you probably will not enjoy this show. Every joke in this episode was crude and offensive, which is right up my alley. Definitely looking forward to watching more of this show. If it is close to as good as Eastbound & Down then I'll be satisfied.
  • noitidart8 October 2017
    Absolutely awesome
    This is so absolutely hilarious. I love how the writers are not succumbing to the bad reviews, those bad reviews are actually pretty hilarious too.

Every episode I'm like this is great I can't keep going it will ruin itself. It's so funny I just watch the next one and it's even better! It is awkward stuff but not as awkward as a show like "Last Man Standing/on Earth". The awkward stuff turns into really nice relationships. I love how two guys who hate each other "ill fire you/ill make you my slave" (hahahaha!) work together to accomplish a goal even if that goal happens or doesn't in a weird way.

I don't like the sympathy stuff but its nice. Oh the one really awesome relationship I like is the one between Ray and Gambi, that is so nice. My favorite part is where Ray comes out and talks to Gambi about him being lucky to be a dad, and I found it so awesome that Gambi was trying to make Ray happy. I really really like Ray.

Oh oh and the FUNNIEST of all time thing I have ever seen is Gambi's breakup/loss with his daughter. HAHAHA and how he was talking about it to Dr Brown he's like "I know how you feel, I recently lost my daughter" as if she died hahahaha. This is the FUNNIEST concept in comedy I have ever seen hahaha. Really beautiful relationship between the father and child though at the same time.

This definitely is a show for guys. There isn't much on TV, but this is definitely a guy show. Not like a guy show like "The Shield" (2002-2008) but in a different way. The Shield was guy show action style, this is guy show comedy style.
  • David Gomez (beefymeowmix)21 July 2016
    Because everyone seems to be so distasteful while watching a comedy series
    I was able to watch the premiere of Vice Principals this last Monday after seeing the trailer for the past couple of months, i'm giving it a perfect 10. This being said, it is not a flawless new series but after reading the couple of reviews that were marked as 1 star and only said things to degrade the new show, I decided to write a review.

Like I said, Vice Principals is not a flawless show by any means but personally I would give it an 8 out of 10. I read things within the other reviews such as how the characters are too brash, cruel, obnoxious and simply unlikable. Now to people saying this, i hope you know this is qualified as a dark comedy for a reason, that is what the show intended on. Two male vice principals that are narcissistic and full of themselves, ultimately leading to how they believe they are the right choice over the other. That being said they are both wildly different from each other, which creates a beautiful balance between our two characters. Every scene where McBride and Goggins interact is always a great time.

On a different note, if you were like me and watched the trailer multiple times I will let it be known that yes, the trailer did provide great information about the plot line and certain scenes you will remember. But also, the trailer honestly covers really only the first episode instead of the entire season which keeps the viewer intrigued after the conclusion of the first episode.

With all of this being said I would truly recommend watching the first episode which has a running time of only 32 minutes, so that you can determine if it is for you or not. Don't let other reviewers sabotage this series because it was a little too vulgar for them to handle or the fact that they don't like the characters because they are too over the top. If you enjoy McBride, you will enjoy this show. Also, for anyone that likes Goggins, it is great to see him in a dark comedy as such a unique character from what he has previously played.