• imdb2-528 May 2017
    Must disengage brain entirely to enjoy
    With so much talent in this film, it's so disappointing that the writers were right . Don't waste a dime on developing a sensible plot because the hordes of fans will eat this crap up like it was a 5 star meal. Hence the 8.1 star rating which reflects a demographic with time on their hands and a studio with plenty of marketing budget.

On the bright side - the CGI is great. The sets are beautiful. There are some very funny moments. The cast still has some chemistry with each other. And I've seen movies that were much worse and unwatchable than this one. But I wouldn't be honest if I didn't give this a very generous 5 because of the horrendous, deficient plot. And after this film I'd have to say that I've about had enough with this series. We've heard the story, had some fun with the characters and it's clear that what was fun, fresh and original is what it should have been - a one film wonder leaving Hollywood to develop another story.

Without giving away the big reveal or true spoilers, I'll explain the problem that are evident throughout the entire film:

(1) Repeated jokes as if we're supposed to be warmed to it, e.g. how dumb and oblivious baby Groot is (except when he needs not to be.) Funny at the opening moment and gets more difficult to stomach as we make our way through.

(2) The fact that our heroes are never really in danger. They are always somehow able to avoid dangers of the most extreme kind for prolonged periods while they joke during the encounter and then you know they will be saved by some unknown force to be named shortly.

(3) The abject stupidity of supremely smart characters. Because we need those whose level of intelligence is off the charts to continue to do some really stupid or missing the obvious for a prolonged period of time but just enough for our heroes to have the time to do something to save themselves and the galaxy from certain destruction.

(4) The explanation of the villain's plan made absolutely no sense. It was the usual pseudo-brilliant but amorphous hogwash that only made sense when you were 5 years old in the world of make believe without having to think about whether there was any logic.

(5) Occasional product placement. Fedex anyone? It's one thing to have a "special moment" and another to believe we're too stupid to understand why it happened. And then there is Baby Groot who exists and will continue to exist solely for merchandising... Too cute to kill off. ;)
  • Jeff Jarvis2 May 2017
    Very disappointing
    I have to start by saying the first film was my favourite film of the last few years and I'm a huge fan.

But let's be honest, this was a huuuge let down of a sequel after an amazing first film. The first had a good story, fleshed out characters, believable villains, genuine affection, drama, tension and a soundtrack that was original and used brilliantly.

This film had a weak, bloated story. Almost every scene filled with forced, cheap gags. Unbelievable and disappointing bad guys who tried to wise crack their through and lost any menace. Acting was poor apart from Yondu and Nebula who was woefully underused.

This was was like a comedy parody of the first film. A goofy, TV sequel that had none of the magic of the original blockbuster.

At one point Drax wisecracks that he does big turds. I'd venture none as big as this one.

Avoid
  • Harun Karali24 April 2017
    Almost as funny and charming as the first
    As someone who was floored by the first film, I was eager to see how the second installment in Gunn's trilogy(yes, it's a trilogy now) would pan out. To be honest, I was a bit anxious, as we are familiar with Hollywoods track record when it comes to sequels. However there are rare moments when the sequel lives up to it's predecessor. As is the case here, as Gunn delivers the same charm, humor and emotion as the first film. The big difference is the focus on Peter's story, As our heroin meets his long lost father Ego(brilliantly played by Kurt Russell), who shows up at the knick of time, as Rocket pisses off Ayesha(Elizabeth Debicki) who sends a space armada after them. To add the cherry on top of this pie is the soundtrack(Sam Cooke's Bring it on Home to Me), that was meticulously chosen. If you were a fan of the first, don't doubt, Gunn delivers a space opera that lives up to it's hype. I have high hopes for the future of the MCU, it's clear that the studio let Gunn's creativity speak for itself and boy did he have a lot to say.
  • drgrozozo7 August 2017
    Here's how not to do a sequel
    OMG, what a terrible sequel to one of the best movies of the decade...

Shallow, unfunny, clichéd, predictable and often pathetic, in many places poorly acted and directed, with overabundance of cheesy fake-looking rainbow effects.

It's like writers read all viewer comments to Vol.1 then added whatever people liked 100 times over into Vol.2. So the lovely 80s music vignette now becomes massive bore shoveled into every scene, complex Yondu-Peter relationship gets butchered into cheesy pathos, Yondu's character gets reduced to repeating Vol.1 whistling scene over and over, Rocket goes boring with highlights being Vol.1 repeats, Gamora/Nebula relation - again repeats, Groot no development at all beyond Vol.1 ending cute cgi.

The only character that actually gets improved is Drax, his lines are written and get delivered in the best manner of the first movie, unfortunately that can't keep this wreck afloat.
  • Luz Maria Sanchez5 June 2017
    Great Adventure
    My main criticism was that I don't feel like you needed to have seen the previous movie to really get/enjoy this one. You would have missed out on the bonding of the team and the backstory of Nebula and Gamora, but overall you'd be fine.

Overall, though it was a great movie, it felt more like a side story in the many adventures of the Guardians of the Galaxy and less like an actual continuation of their main story. Why? Well, we did have that wonderful cameo of great actors who portrayed the original Guardians. We had our Stan Lee cameo. And, we had Peter Quill's backstory explained. Other then that, I don't yet see how any of this advanced the main plot of Thanos or of any big threat to the Galaxy.

My favorite parts of the movie were Rocket and Yondu's character growth. I felt tears in my eyes when Yondu died. Such a powerful message that parentage and parents can be such distinct things. Also, Gamora and Nebula's sister bonding and reconciliation. Their scenes were so much of what it is to be a sister. One cannot hate in such a way without there being love in the mix.

The only truly plot advancing potential that I saw in this movie were the after-credit scenes. Especially the one with Adam. Only time will tell if any more of this will have an effect on the Marvel Universe. Regardless, this was a great story to tell.
  • MovieTvCasualEnthusiast8 August 2017
    Expensive garbage
    Where do I even begin? Oh my... this script could have easily been written by a 10-year-old, practically every move and line of dialogue were predictable, clichéd, and downright cringy most of the time. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why this 'movie' gets any form of praise for the 'acting' that took place in this movie. The aforementioned acting was weak, not only did the story lack substance, but practically every interaction is inevitably guided towards infantile, unintelligent humor. The CGI/Animation were not up to the standard that we are accustomed to from Marvel, it was just flashy and all over the place. I usually try not to write any negative reviews, but this was just too much to handle. I am a big fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I was in awe as to how awful this movie was. Marvel movies have silly humor here and there but a good portion of the jokes are well placed in their movies, they can even be intelligent and memorable; but this... whatever this was... horrendous writing. If you are like me, and want to be up-to-date with what's happening in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and that's why you chose to watch this movie, you didn't miss out on anything.
  • tdevil91 May 2017
    A flashy production with no substance
    At the time of writing, there are only 7 out of 120 user reviewers that did not like the movie. I know I will receive a multitude of unhelpful votes for voicing my honest feedback about this movie. However, I hope that my feedback will be helpful for people who are able to judge a film in an objective manner so that they, at least, will be able to save their hard earned cash.

Firstly, the main antagonist is a Marvel character that has been completely changed for this movie. It bears no background similarity to the character in the comics whatsoever. I understand that the Marvel movies are all about making a spin on the comic book story arcs, but this difference was far too large for me to accept.

Whilst watching the movie, I had to ponder whether I had stepped into a Marvel Superhero version of "Fast and Furious". There was a continuous message that family is important and how the protagonists became who they were due to disenfranchised childhoods. Whilst this is a valid point, I do not feel that it belongs in a superhero action movie as it serves no purpose. Worse was when the message contradicted itself when we see Peter Quill betrayed by his Father. The clumsiness of this contradiction did nothing to alleviate the sickly sweet message that the movie was trying to convey. I get that James Gunn is trying to send out a message to the younger generation but I would think that kids go to watch a superhero movie for the action, and will not really appreciate or acknowledge the message that he is driving.

Unlike the first movie, there was a distinct lack of character focus and their abilities. It could easily have been an action movie without superheroes. In fact, the movie seemed to be focused on two characters when it came to showcasing their abilities. One of these had a sequence that was inspired by the Quicksilver scenes in the X-Men movies. The other was extremely underwhelming and was defeated far too incredibly when you consider the differences in age and experiences. None of the characters were interesting with the exception of Nebula and Mantis. However, Pom Klementieff played her role like a stuttering female cyborg that I even thought the role was played by an East Asian actress before I checked the cast members. The actors paid to play the new characters were miscast in my opinion. Sylvester Stallone's performance reminded me of his Judge Dredd and not in a good way.

It was clear that the popular factors in the first movie were taken and overdone in the second movie. Drax was made to look like a dumb fool once again but even more than in the first movie. While the CGI effects were good, the cuteness factor of Baby Groot served only to market the movie to kids and geek girls, and to rake in merchandise profit. There was also constant mention and focus on the cassette mix which was totally unnecessary (again, for merchandise promotion).

With the exception of Captain America and the first two Avengers and Thor movies, why do the Marvel movies have to be over-saturated with humor? It's one thing to market the movies to a wider audience but it's totally another thing when it's taken too far, and the humor becomes so clichéd.
  • sthingsone5 May 2017
    Disappointing.... this movie cares more about jokes than a good plot
    ***Potential Spoilers***

+Visuals were okay but not that great at some point it kinda looked animated

+Acting was perfect

-but the plot was Horrible

-Some of the comedy sequences felt Forced

-Villian was underwhelming

-Overacting -Pacing issues

Marvel overused their formula in this one & it just felt Choppy & bloated there are jokes but by jokes i mean there are too many if you are fan of Forced ripoff jokes then this movie is for you there wasn't even much action You have a guy name Drax the Destroyer but you given him only one Action sequence Come'on **Spoilers* Nebula tries to kills herself to kill Gamora, and later on both of them forgive each other ? It just felt messy

The only thing i learned from GOTG 2 is that never go with high expectation while seeing a movie
  • Kostantin Donchenko28 May 2017
    Sequel? Oh, no!
    One word - disappointment

Never being fan of comics I liked the first Guardians. It was unexpected discovery - characters, humor and space entourage. So my first thought was "Hey, when is the sequel?". Yes, I know that sequels are often worse than the original. But there are exceptions. And this is not the case.

Two words - so stretched

The main problem is that this isn't the first part. At all. There are the same main characters, there are lots of jokes, some adventures... But this is different movie by its behavior.

In the first part we have comedy adventure with blotches of some serious things. Characters act because, because... well, I can't remember, why they acting. They wanted money and in some point BOOM! And they are saviors of the galaxy. In Vol.2 heroes are actually heroes. They act like heroes, although have some non-heroic habits.

For me the movie is too long. Somewhere near the middle, the film began to sag. At that moment you must understand main plot and, if you over six and watched several movies in your life, understand who is the main villain. Also at the middle I have such a feeling "Boring!". I even thought, that director want to make some kind of thriller scenes (in the middle of the film!).

Three words - the sly plan

But, I need to admit it, the plot is interesting and there are many references to comics about the Guardians. Even I, person that don't know anything about world of comics of the Guardians, understood it. Joy for the fans.

The bad thing is - do you remember the story of the first part? Forget it. Villains from the first movie on vacation now, sorry. But we have new villain and new sly plan to conquer the galactic. Generally, interesting.

Four words - where is the raccoon???

Our favorite characters come back with several others not so beloved. And if Yondu (guy with blue skin) is interesting as a character, the other one - Nebula (Gamora's sister) is looking awkward.

Yondu comes to the fore and this is a good decision. You should see the film for scenes with him. But Nebula... This is stereotyped character: I hate you! Oh, you didn't hit me? I don't hate you! And I'll help you. This is all you need to know about Nebula. And new member of the Guardians team - Mantic. Cute. Can't said more.

But we have problem with the main characters. Throughout the film I felt that Star-Lord and Gamora are more important. Yes, the plot is concentrated on Star-Lord's parentage. But Rocket, Drax and Groot... feels like heroes of the second plan. Yondu has more charisma and he is more interesting. If I wasn't watching first movie I can think that this is Star-Lord and his team, but not the Guardians.

Even so, this is the good film. Not so good as first part. If you don't expect too much or if you are fan - can see.
  • mikenontonmulu27 April 2017
    The Sequel to Those Unusual Marvel Superhero in the Galaxy
    This movie was a very fun superhero film. It did not provide us with very heavy storyline, the premise was quite simple and best of it all, it was having lots and lots of funny moments. My wife and I truly enjoyed this movie as we had laughs all over the movie and there were even some emotional moments as well which was very lovely to see at the end (and made my wife very emotional). I love the chemistry among the Guardians, and I loved Baby Groot's very cute and adorable behavior. I also loved the opening scene which I think was very cool.

In addition to the good chemistry among the stars, I also felt that Mantis' character was fun to see, especially whenever she was interacting with Drax. In this sequel, it was also surprising to see Drax' very funny characterization and his comments. Both Yondu and Nebula also had larger important role in this movie compared to Volume 1. There was even a surprise new character played by Sylvester Stallone whom I understand would be having larger role in future Marvel movies.

Apart from those fun interactions and the nice light story, the movie itself was not the type of full of action scenes. Mostly it was done in the early stage, middle part and the ending part. The sound effects were good, the effects involving Baby Groot and Rocket were awesome, but I felt the CGI effects were not that nice, especially during the scenes in the Ego planet where it really looked computerized. However, it was not really a bothering scene. One thing that was quite curious for me is the trailer to this movie was already showing Kurt Russel portraying Peter's father, which I thought would be best kept hidden to avoid spoiler. But then as we continued watching it, I realized that it was more like a part that was supposed to intrigue us.

I personally felt that this movie was better than Volume 1, in term of the story and characterizations. And for those of you who knew that Marvel's movies would have some end credit scenes, better wait till the very end, since this film had got not 1, not 2 not even 3, but 5 post credit scenes altogether.

So if you enjoyed the first volume, you would enjoy this one even better. I would recommend you to watch the first one before seeing this one to have a better understanding on the movie. Though I am pretty sure that most likely you would have seen it. Now if you are a fan of a much heavier superhero movie, than this one may not suit your thirst, but I am confident that you would still be entertained watching this one.
  • Neos_back12 May 2017
    Mindless entertainment, boring storyline
    OK, this is not a bad movie, but it is by no means good.

The vibe you get from this is that it was aimed at children with comdey moments for adults.

The story deviated MASSIVELY from the comics, and while I generally don't mind so long as it's done well... this isn't.

In the comic Peter Quill's dad is J'son, Emperor of the Spartoi Empir (kind of like the Shi'ar), not a celestial. The movie version has fabricated a completely different and much worse story for this iteration.

All in, its a solid 6... but no more than that. This is aimed at people who don't really care about a story and simply want visual effects with a few comedy moments.

Hopefully they get back to the Thanos Infinity stone saga now that they are done with this deviation.
  • simonaortale26 May 2017
    So disappointed
    I watched the first movie I believe at least 50 times, one of my favourite movie since the last 10 years; however this Vol. 2 really disappointed me. I think it's a goofy movie for kids, a bit different from the first one. The "funny" scenes have been dramatized too much, so much that they became stupid jokes. The movie itself is too long, no funny movie should ever be so long. You cannot keep people laughing for more than 2 hours...even if the movie was a REALLY funny movie (which it was not). I was expecting coming out this Vol. 2 for so long...I guess I created too many expectations for it. Go to watch the movie thinking that would be "just OK", my 2 cents.
  • urthpainter8 July 2017
    Guardians of the what?
    The most astonishing thing about this movie to me is how fast I forgot the entire experience.

I kinda remember that cool opening scene with Groot - but after that? Guardians of the Galaxy 2 moves from one action scene to the next with a bunch of random banter about an extended family... which is completely contradicted in the final 15 minutes.

I also remember a bunch of absurd happenings during the action scenes. Improbable results, luck, weird environments that do not follow any known physics and characters screaming at one another over the ambient sound.

To paraphrase someones wisdom - the script wasn't the result of time, hard work, skill and craftsmanship. Things happen on the screen because the screen writers say so. This is what many superhero films have become: glorified CG cartoons that feel like really long TV episodes.

Ironic too - in an age of great TV writing, many blockbuster movies have been reduced to mass world wide appeal instead of any unique writer/director vision.

I really didn't like this movie 3/10
  • justicewillprevail4 May 2017
    Meh... Fast and Furious in Space. *FAMILY*
    What's Hollywood's obsession with family these days? Wonder if it has to do the the growing culture of nepotism elsewhere. Regardless, a script cannot rely on simply yelling "FAMILY" as the motivation for EVERYTHING. And this movie works that cliché to DEATH. *LITERALLY*

Not worth a 1/10, more like a 6 plus (which I'll adjust when they stop manipulating the ratings. Forgettable at best, and you know the story is crap when all you can remember is CGI baby Groot. Suffers terribly from Bond villain syndrome, in that villains needs too much exposition (AKA weird and unexplained motivations).

Actual line in the movie, after one character tries to murder another, "You needed to win, I just wanted a *RELATIVE*." *slow claps* that TOTALLY explains attempted murder. Did I mention there's attempted genocide too?! For reasons that only Gunn will know.
  • Ahmed Samir4 May 2017
    Top-Notch Entertainment !
    *SPOILER FREE REVIEW*

As a huge fan of the first film, I went to watch the movie as soon as it came out. And I have to say I wasn't disappointed at all.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2 Offers so much thrills and an awesome cinematic experience, The action starts right from the opening scene and it doesn't end until the last 2 seconds of the film. The people behind the movie just knew how to not make the audience bored, and they succeeded at that.

I have to say that 3D ticket here is worth the additional price, because honestly, if any movie deserved to be really watched in 3D it's this one,It adds so much depth to the scenes and makes the movie alive.

The plot is interesting enough to keep you engaged and the pacing never really drags even with the movie's long duration.

The soundtrack just fits right into its place and it really helped the background quality, providing the best classic songs. The movie is also really humorous and I found it as funny as the first.

Due to the movie's high budget, the scenery is Amazing! The movie feels like a very entertaining roller coaster, it was a joy and all the crowd were very pleased.

In the end, Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2 Is a MUST-SEE for fans of the first one and a VERY ENJOYABLE ride for everyone else. It's simply one of these movies that are always fun to watch.
  • Kalevi Ko28 April 2017
    Joyless and contrived
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is clearly the least of the whole Marvel pack so far. It tries very hard to recreate the joyful nonsense of the first volume, but fails consistently, rather targeting one-off jokes than investing in its characters that jump, fall and evade bombs, bullets and lasers like Tom and Jerry in space, with no sense of tread whatsoever. Star-Lord himself, while still central to the "plot", seems strangely impersonal, dutifully reacting to events around him rather than guiding the action. The movie takes forever to end and offers no surprises on the way.

At the end you realize that it has all been nothing but a setup for the next volume, like a cut from an endless Marvel sausage, served shinier than ever but with not much taste.
  • AdmrlLocke8 May 2017
    The Least Little Spoilers for an Outstanding Movie!
    Prior to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, I said that it would have a hard time equaling the perfect blend of humor and action that the first Guardians achieved. After seeing Vol. 2, however, I have to say that it achieved a perfect balance of humor, action and even tear-jerking drama. Although I would hardly have believed it possible, I enjoyed Vol. 2 a bit more even than the first Guardians movie.

Chris Pratt does such a brilliant job of conveying dry, understated humor that it's easy to take for his performance for granted, but when I, and the rest of the theater, laughed over and over, it served as a good reminder just what great comedic talent he brings to what are genuinely serious superhero movies. Not to be outdone, Kurt Russell—a talented actor of whom I just haven't seen enough in recent years—did a brilliant job of making Star Lord's father completely believable, even relatable, at the same time he turns totally creepy on us.

I have to give a shout out to Zoe Saldana, who some of you might know as Uhura in the Kelvin timeline Star Trek movies. It's hard for anyone to reprise the role brought so lovingly to life by Nichelle Nichols in original Star Trek, and I didn't even recognize Zoe under all that green makeup in the first Guardians movie. Knowing who she was in Vol. 2, however, I was impressed by her range as an actress, as she made Gamora completely and unrecognizably different than her Uhura.

Another talented actress I didn't recognize under all her makeup (or prosthetics) was Karen Gillian, who some of you might know as the red-haired beauty who played Amy Pond in 36 episodes of Doctor Who. Once again, her range as an actress made her character, Nebula, completely and utterly different from her Amy.

Sean Gunn, perhaps a less-familiar actor, unless you, like me, happen to enjoy both superhero movies and "chick" shows, brought the same sort of lovably bumbling humor to the character of Kraglin in the movie that he brought so enjoyably most weeks on the Gilmore Girls TV series. Gunn's performance contributed greatly to the movie's ability to make the entire audience laugh even when Chris Pratt wasn't on the screen.

Once you've seen Vol. 2—and definitely not before—take a gander in the Internet Movie Database at the movie's cast, and you may be surprised to see several other talented actors playing roles either openly (but not advertised beforehand) or hidden behind makeup or CGI. Some of them you'll have already happily recognized during the movie, but the list of others that you probably didn't recognize might well delight you as did me. Let me warn you again though: if you haven't seen the movie yet, do NOT look at IMDb.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the movie's absolutely outstanding use of 1970s music. Someone on the production crew grew up at the same time I did, and I have to give him or her credit for choosing some great songs from our youth that fit the events of the movie perfectly. The first movie had good period music too, but I have to say that when it comes to the appropriate use of 1970s music, the filmmakers might accurately have titled the Vol. 2 movie Guardians Beyond.

If you do go see Guardians Vol. 2—and I've tried my best to gush about the movie without giving away a single darned spoiler—make sure you sit through the closing credits to the very, absolutely final, last second. Don't just wait patiently, either, for during-credits or after-credits scenes, but really, really, really try to pay attention to both the words and the images in the credits themselves, and you will be richly rewarded with even more humor.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 represents another unqualified cinematic triumph for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and sets the stage for what could well end up being at least two more. As a major DC Comics fan for more than half a century, I have to say that I wish the DC Expanded Universe movies had even a quarter as much talent putting together live-action DC superhero movies. Is there any chance that Warner Brothers might borrow some of the leading creative lights of Disney's Marvel Studios for at least one superhero movie?!
  • keal7 May 2017
    Laugh out loud funny movie filled with many touching moments that will make you cry!
    Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 is such a glorious celebration of all that's enjoyable about going to the movies. It makes you feel you've gotten your money's worth, from the ticket price to all the expensive food and drink items. Everyone in the theater walked out chatting and laughing about the movie. I can't think of a way to make a more enjoyable movie than GOTG 2.

From the beginning, the MARVEL STUDIOS logo has changed. While it's slowly creeping on screen, we used to see comic pages flipping. That's now replaced with movie footage, and the music is now epic, making the MS logo feel more classy and majestic.

The opening credits scene is just so creative, and a scene like that could very well be one of the best ending scenes in another movie. But in GOTG 2, it's just the opening! Looking back on the entire film, I can't believe in this age where we're all so used to seeing flashy space and combat action scenes, everything gets better and better as this movie rolls along towards the ending.

This is a really character-driven movie, and every single main actor gets fantastic screen time. No one is in the background. They all shine. Jokes are non-stop, and there are WAY more jokes in this sequel. Some of the humor is so unexpected and wacky that you'll just burst out loud laughing! You'll hear other people in the theater continue to laugh as the movie rolls on and you'll laugh again just thinking about what happened on screen.

As funny as this movie gets, you'll be pleasantly blindsided with some extremely heartwarming scenes between characters. How can a movie make people laugh so hard, then the next minute have everyone sobbing, or at least fighting back tears? If you're the type of movie-goer who likes to brag that you didn't cry through an emotional scene, prepare to get tested. GOTG 2 has many emotional scenes, and they happen at the weirdest, most unexpected times. My bet is, you WILL cry at least once. There's just too many good scenes coming at you and you'll stumble. This movie is such a rare roller-coaster of emotional ups and downs. Enjoy the ride!

The end credits are filled with things to keep you sitting in your chair. Don't make the mistake of walking out. There are something like 5 or 6 end scenes dispersed through the credits. You'll see people in the theater standing to leave, then sitting. Standing again, then sitting down. There's just so much going on in the end credits!

From start to finish, this movie has everything and the kitchen sink thrown in. It's all bigger, better, funnier and way more emotional than the first GOTG, and easily the most entertaining thing you might witness this year in the theater. Don't miss this movie!
  • Thomas Tang24 April 2017
    The Guardians Strike Back
    I was lucky enough to see this on 20/4 at an industry screening which allowed me to sit on the film for a few days before I gave a review. I can safely say GotG Volume 2 absolutely wowed me. I can't believe these bunch of lovable misfit a-holes made one of the most MATURE themed films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film is visually gorgeous. The use of colour, design and the straight up imagination of the source material outstand any MCU film prior. The action is glorious and astonishing. One scene in particular, I was jaw-dropped in its entirety as direction, action-choreography and music all came together so harmoniously. And THE MUSIC! What an eargasmic soundtrack. The songs are more poetic this time around and fit the subtext of the film perfectly. The trailers gave me the feel of the first movie; a straight-up Sci-fi action-comedy with a simple point A to B plot. GotGV2 is so much MORE than this! This film is patient with its characters and there is an emphasis on growth and family. It manages to balance 7-8 characters and gives almost all of them a satisfactory emotional arc. There is so much to chew on here with the issues and motifs felt by certain characters and I applaud that! This film is vastly different and I'm glad because I just love these characters so much! They are still so fun and energetic. It's great to see the team again and how their dynamic transforms. Also I forget to mention, the film is laugh-out-loud funny! All thanks to Drax who is by far the most comedic character and put me stitches.

Overall, this was both (I can't believe I'm saying this about the Guardians of the Galaxy) an emotionally dense and exciting blast. If Guardians 1 is the fast-paced Sci-Fi adventure like Star Wars was in 1977, then Vol. 2 is the deeper & richer film that takes its time to expand our beloved characters; just like Empire Strikes Back.
  • Navneet Khare6 May 2017
    What the hell did I just watch?
    I actually lost a lot of brain cells today. I should have trusted my instinct which told me after 10 minutes of atrociously written, poorly shot and nauseatingly acted nonsense that I should leave. But I said to myself, lets stick, maybe it will redeem itself.

Oh, but no, it just got worse and worse till it crossed all lines of idiocy. The characters were like disposable stick figures with no concept of personality at all. Jokes were bad, really really bad and you could feel how pathetically they were inserted into the movie just to give it some redeeming value in form of comic reliefs which also failed.

I left in the mid-movie as I could just easily sit and stare at a blank wall and pay money for it. I still lose the money but at-least get to keep my neurons alive.
  • razvan3110 May 2017
    One of the worst films
    Plain and simple. This is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Maybe the expectations were too high, but I've rarely been so disappointed by a Marvel movie. As a comedy, this was so and so. It had some good jokes at times. As a superhero movie,action movie - it was just crap.Nothing happens for more than one hour and when it does it's just CGI. Characters do not show any superpowers, they are just for making jokes, there are no real fights or good action sequences. Not to mention the story is terrible. I really don't understand why everyone was so impressed by this movie. It's like anything that Marvel throws at us is amazing, when clearly we should have higher standards....
  • alx-boychenko2 May 2017
    It is super-bad, over-hyped and ratings are fake!
    If you believe this movie is good, you may as well believe crap tastes like chocolate.

This movie is for 8-10 year old's. Vol1 appealed to more mature audience, this does not. So much cringe. So-so-so cheesy. Yes, 99% of this movie is effects, but I don't think CGI alone this days live up to bring this one to 8+ rating. It's fake. It will go down, after the marketing hype and rating bots will fade away.

Watch it online later. It is not worth going to cinema.
  • stebiagio8723 May 2017
    awful
    Never seen a film like this, so ugly that I can't quantify how I'm disgusted. Plot written by a teenager, screenplay doesn't exist (dialogues with no sense in all the movie), a jumble of scenes put together. The whole movie consists of various special effects connected haphazard. Only the editing (audio and video) and the creation of the effects are professionals.
  • binqasim25 May 2017
    At times I felt like I was watching Transformers
    It is hard for me to justify 4 out of 10 for this movie. I thought part one was refreshing and different from other superhero movies. However, this one felt forced at everything that part one excelled at. I thought there was just too much music, visuals reminded me of transformers, and story-telling was just that story-telling. It also felt like they tried cramming in too many characters' and their back stories. You get Yondu, Mantis, Nebula, Ego. I would advise waiting for DVD.
  • peterandpaulproductions14 May 2017
    Some sequels shouldn't happen
    I know it's a cliché to say I don't often write reviews, but that's the case here. I saw the overwhelmingly positive ratings for this film, and I'm wondering if we live in some kind of altered state or these really are the days of Idiocracy. Without giving anything away, I can tell you I'd rather get a root canal with no anesthetic in Tijuana... Yeah, it's that horrible. I was skeptical about the first film, but it was surprising delight of a film. This version is every worn out, big battle, fake CGI, movie rolled together puked out like a college girl on Spring Break.