"What a way to refresh yourself.." This is what came to my mind after watching this film. Being a great fan of the mastermind Alphonse Puthren and his debut film Neram, this didn't disappoint me. But it did impress me.
It may not be a life-changing, mind-blowing film. But a clean romantic comedy that lies closer to reality than you think. Unintentional and situational comedy that shows up almost in every scene of the film, can clean your mind of any stress or anything of that sort that you have at the moment.
The direction of the film as usual is exemplary. The edits (that too done by the director) certainly utilities the factor of directorial edited films. The film certainly lacks a story but that factor is hidden by the beautifully captured visuals thanks to the cinematographer, Anend. Screenplay is good. Production value and art was natural at it's level best as most of the places shown in the film originally exists.
The film is divided into 3 acts that covers 3 stages of the life of George, a care-free living youngster - the first one covering the romantic relationship of George while studying in 12th grade is the shortest one of the film. The second covering his collage life is the longest and the most stylish\epic one among that, making it my favorite. The last act shows the life of George after his collage life, now a working class fellow. The film's main plot is based on 3 different women that George fell in love with during the 3 different stages.
Simple and elegant plot which lags a bit in the last half hour is the only problem with the film that I saw.
1. Nivin Pauly himself is a great asset to the film. The film too should be a great asset to him as this film is the best work I saw from him. He has improved his weaknesses like acting out emotional scenes and dance. OMG, the wonderful dance choreographed by Sai Pallavi is amazing. And Nivin has danced it to perfection.
2. All other male stars. When I say this I mainly mean none others that Krishna Sankar and Shabareesh Varma. Shabareesh does a kind of one man show which is my other favorite of the film. Being a lyricist and a singer, the actor have given all his level best performance at all areas. Vinay fort, Maniyanpilla Raju was also good.
3. All the three lead actresses were pretty good. Mostly Sai Pallavi who changed the entire course of the film with her cute performance as Malar miss smile emoticon
4. Wonderful cameos. There are a lot of cameos throughout. First one being Jude Anthony as Jolly D' Cruz. Then there is Renji Panicker as David who did a stylish role with the superbly written dialogs from his own films. Finally there is the director himself as Ronnie who is a drug addict and the only or mainly the villain of the film.
5. Superb stunt scenes. There is hardly 2 scenes of fights in the entire film and the main one in that being George's collage intro. I sure wished there was more of that frown emoticon
6. Amazing cinematography and superb Edits.
7. The best soundtrack I've ever heard along with Chandrettan Evideya and Neram.
1. A little lag that happens the final half hour.
Verdict - Premam is a surely must watch entertainer