• Dr_Sagan17 November 2017
    Very Weak TV series (Review after watching 28 episodes)
    Honestly I don't know why I'm keep watching this. I have no interest whatsoever about the ...Kirkman administration and since many episodes I stop caring about anyone in this show...

I really hate when a TV series doesn't live to its potential.

The point of "Designated Survivor" SHOULD BE about a fish-out-of-the-water situation, where a low cabinet member, (who was about to kicked-out from the administration from the President himself), ends up ...President having all the American people questioning his authority. The unique struggle of an impossible situation.

We only got a glimpse of that with some renegade governors in an episode or two, but then the unique premise diminished in a usual, trite and boring format: The day-by-day chronicles of a POTUS not different than an elected president.

A submarine this, a prime minister that, an ambassador the other thing ... we've seen it before many many times in other POTUS series in far better execution like in Madame Secretary, or the West Wing or even Scandal.

Why ruin the unique premise presenting instantly the weak college professor as someone who was born to be a leader?? He takes all the right decisions, the camera loves him, his staff loves him, everyone loves him... Why such a man was about to kicked-out from the administration in the first place? How the spineless academic became a "tough but fair" leader almost from day one?

Anyway, despite all that, the show is boring to watch and the 2nd season is even worst. All the characters are a mere shadows of what they could have been evolved. Seth, the White House Press Secretary, Aaron the National Security Adviser and Chief of Staff Emily. And of course Maggie Q who acts more like she has her own small TV show inside this one.

Overall: As I wrote in the beginning I should have stop watching this crap at least 10 episodes before. Boring to watch and going nowhere.
  • badreligionfan22 May 2017
    starts out great but gets boring
    The first episode was of a high quality, but after a couple of episodes this show becomes 3 shows. A "House Of Cards" with a "too good, always makes politically correct decisions"-president. He is just not interesting. I wish he wás evil. A "Homeland" woman who tries to save the world on her own. She's also not interesting and the "action scenes" with her are like the A-team or mcgyver. just amateurish. (just like the black screened beeping Hollywood computers they use, with awful animations.) Then there is the wife and kids and it's just too sweet. The "designated survivor" thing is a very interesting story. I wish there were flash back episodes, why the attackers did it. How was the situation before? Also make Keifer suck. Let him make wrong decisions, be a lousy husband that secretly enjoys all this new power.
  • criticrasdvatri14 October 2016
    Decent acting and potential, but unfortunately shameless left-wing propaganda
    Some spoilers, after 4 episodes: I'm done with this piece of propaganda.

There are some excellent actors in this TV series about terrorists who blow up the US Capitol during the State of the Union address, killing the President and all of his cabinet, SCOTUS, and almost all congressmen. Kiefer Sutherland, of 24 fame, is the "designated survivor", a lowly HUD secretary, just fired by the President earlier in the day (though the firing had not yet taken effect), who has to take charge of getting the country running again. Suddenly, he goes from being Mr. Timid to Mr. Brilliant and Wise Liberal Democratic President.

Given all the terrorist attacks we have had around the world lately, and their sources, the trailers initially sounded like a plot that had the potential for great acting, suspense, mystery, and action, like 24 or Homeland. Unfortunately, after the first decent episode, it rapidly degenerated into the usual Hollywood left-wing shameless propaganda that spoils so many movies and TV shows, and the timing of its release is conveniently in time for the current election.

There is no subtlety or nuance here. The music is melodramatic, and there are overdone cutesy daddy-loves-mommy and mommy-loves-daddy-and-her-little-girl scenes. There is no grayness in the characters either: Muslims are good and noble (e.g., the speech writer, residents of the heavily Muslim city of Dearborn, MI) as they are persecuted for no good reason and never at fault for anything relevant to the plot; white middle-aged and older men and police are racist xenophobic pigs who routinely randomly beat on innocent (mostly Muslim) civilians, (including beating to death a 17-hr-old Muslim teen), supported almost immediately by a racist white (and balding) governor of Michigan, of all places; military characters are portrayed as suspicious (BTW they are also white males, from a general to a surviving congressman who is a military veteran and hero who we are supposed to believe is really the one who had something to do with the bombing and not people from the Middle East, though we don't know for sure), and so on. The writers even show attempted forced deportation of a crying Latina nanny as a result of the terrorist attacks, who is then helped by the President's noble immigration lawyer wife, as if the country would make time and expend resources for deporting Latina nannies without papers (separating her from her child no less) after a terrorist attack. Blacks are portrayed as wise and showing good judgment and balance, and the Asian- American actress from the former series Nikita struts around looking hot in skimpy clothing as an FBI agent (to keep the young male interest), having good insight just from her gut that maybe the white congressman and others and not Middle Eastern terrorists committed this act, Muslims were just framed, you see it coming (and BTW, we are taught to not refer to the suspects as Muslim terrorists, "extremists" is the correct word.) Got it all covered, Hollywood style, and just in time for the election. For good measure they did toss in an "evil" woman -- who is of course a white Republican (the only designated Republican survivor). We also have some global warning "education" tossed in for efficiency.

BTW I am neither a white male, a cop, anti-Muslim, nor a Trump supporter, I am a libertarian, but I find this show absolutely over the top and abhorrent propaganda, an insult to my intelligence. I can understand the positive reviews from foreigners who believe the propaganda they read in the papers about America and see nothing wrong with it, but I am surprised more Americans watching this show do not find it equally repulsive, they should know that even as "fiction", it is totally out of line, simplistic, and ridiculous.
  • Tim Howe3 October 2016
    IM a DC guy and LOVE Jack Bauer as President, but the writing is the absolute worst.
    I was involved with the first Clinton administration and was on Capital Hill during the anthrax letter freak out and on 911 and believe me, when people think they may be killed in DC they panic a lot more than this show portrays.. Be sure, if the capital got blown up and the entire congress and cabinet and the VP and the Supreme Court and the MEDIA got zapped by terrorists - there wouldn't be one smile or soft moment at the White House, for weeks and weeks and weeks. It would be as tense as piano wire - times 10. In this show, there are numerous lil jokes and "cute" family moments just hours after the world is turned entirely upside down. That is just stupid.

The kernel of an idea behind this show was just great, Jack Bauer is a real fun TV choice for President, but the writing is simply just dreadful.

It is so bad it makes the entire cast look clunky and false and that is just absolutely unfair.

David Guggenheim should NEVER write one more word of any teleplay or fiction of any kind. He is surely the worst writer of dialogue I have experienced in eons. Actually ever. Full stop.

His writing makes the dialogue from 'Threes Company' and 'Sabrina:the Teenage Witch' sound like Chekhov.

I came searching for an online forum to say this and I have never done this before, but this show's idiotic writing actually ticked me off. The idea that so many millions were spent on this and lives and careers bet on same is depressing. I'm a Gore guy and thank this show's creator/producer for getting Al a Oscar for "An Inconvenient Truth', BUT he's obviously become quite a LA/Hollywood egoist - I mean he just HAD TO hire himself to write these amazingly crappy scripts.

This show will never survive them.

Ego and vanity are such killers.

As Clint said: "A man's got to know his limitations."

I just saw Keifer in an interview where he said he could see himself playing this role for the next decade of his life. With even average competent writing, this show could have gone on for years and years and hundreds of people would have had good steady jobs and millions would have been entertained and hopefully enlightened, but for the shallow conceit and arrogance of David Guggenheim.

This show's initial high ratings may get it a second season - but if Guggenheim doesn't fire himself and bring in skilled, seasoned, thoughtful writers and completely get himself out of the writing process, it will never see a third and most likely the network will just dump season two online.

Sad and embarrassing.
  • EdN21 April 2017
    Started amazing and went down the drain very quickly.
    This was such a promising start of a new soap. Great first episode, moderate second one and then it went downhill. Just finished seeing episode 17 and my feeling is like this: when did The Last Survivor became Brothers & Sisters?

It feels like the same soppy characters that are all very polite and extremely friendly, even when they are enemies to each other. Totally unrealistic. Even President Kirkman, what a wimp. They are trying to give him a Barrack Obama feeling, but his always being good and righteous makes you wanna barf (sorry for the language) at many points.

Without telling something about the plot, but in episode 17 they bring in a hot topic: early stage dementia. A side character has this and the way President Kirkman's heart is bleeding feels just like, utterly unrealistic.

I will continue to see what the end of the first season will be like, but I doubt it will be renewed for a second season. Damn story writers, get your act together. You had a very good story and totally blew it with unrealistic stories and unlovable characters.

On the other hand, if you want no-brains-necessary TV, this is your soap opera. You can even watch it without paying much attention to details. Everything is explained very careful so you won't miss a thing.
  • pictoushead .2 October 2016
    sad
    Had to take the time to write this review. I had high hopes, and perhaps still do...the premise and Sutherland and Kal Penn give the show potential but after 2 episodes all I see is Americana sappy over the top sentimentality. I hope it gets better and will give it time yet but so far I had to keep from gagging. An exercise in political correctness so far. Oh the poor Muslims, ooh the racial profiling, ooh the poor heroes (has anyone paid attention to how ineffective and corrupt congress is recently). The stereotypical war monging general etc...I think Kal Penn has the best character so far. Sutherland has potential because he is Keifer but I wish the writers could have been more intelligent about how the addressed the issues they want to explore...which are all important issues of course but one would think they could have been "smarter" about how they did it rather than belch out another America shall overcome cliché. So watch at your own peril. I may choose to change my rating after a few more episodes but for the moment I gave it a 5 rating because they could have done much better with the cast and subject matter instead of pandering to American narcissism.
  • Mark Norville19 October 2017
    Oh boy how disappointing
    The first season was what drew you into liking this show, the destruction, the espionage and the list goes on. It was a show, that played more like a Tom Clancy novel.

However, scroll on to season 02, and now we have taken our foot off the throttle, and instead of being excited, has now settled into a slowish paced drama political show.

All the spark has gone from this show, although the acting is superb, I did not vote for the President, just to watch another political drama.

Unless the season hots up, then hopefully this gets shut off.
  • joe-8255 October 2017
    I kind of enjoyed the first series...
    What the hell is happening in series 2? I was really looking forward to the development of the murder/suicide in the cemetery. Why did the high flying politico's wife shoot him and then commit suicide....? Nope, almost like it never happened.... Who is plotting against the President from within the White House...? Nope. Why was the capitol attacked and by whom...? Nope... Those plans of the Capitol detailing it's structural weaknesses, who pulled those together?.... Nope. Who were they passed on to?... Maybe? Virginia Madsen's character is nowhere ....? NOPE.

This is the typification of a show which starts strongly and then the writers run out of ideas but the show is a success. NOW WHAT? Let's try to make everybody forget everything that happened before, keep the main characters and hope nobody notices. I would have given this show a 7.5 before, it's ridiculous, sure. But enough plot twists and shady characters to keep it interesting.... Not so much now.
  • samcallan29 May 2017
    Cannot figure out the show
    This show cannot figure out what it wants to be. Political thriller? West Wing-lite? Conspiracy theory show?

Then some of the basics are really frustrating like the gun bill vote needing 51 "ayes". First the fellow calling roll switches between calling senators "Senator So and So" and "Mr or Mrs So and So".

Then I guess no one writing for the show has heard of a filibuster and what it takes to break one. Of course maybe the new senators decided to scrap the filibuster and go with simple majority on all votes.

For an "independent" the president seems pretty liberal.

Finally it seems far fetched that a conspiracy of this magnitude could be pulled off. But hey it is TV and Kiefer Sutherland's previous show also had some far fetched plots and huge holes to go with them.
  • hans-0727029 April 2017
    Very exciting idea of a new promising series but badly executed
    In The Netherlands it is already on air on Netflix btw. The idea of this series is very good. Could be a worthy successor to "The West Wing" although that series is of a quality not easy to match. But......... After 6 episodes it turned out to be quite a disappointment because it is nothing else than "24" in a different coat. The last 2 seasons of "24" were also annoying, not logical plots and situations created leading to a totally unrealistic sequence of events. And this new series is going down the same road and after 4 episodes it got already highly irritating but I gave it another chance and after the 6th episode it was enough for me. It could have been a great series but unfortunately badly executed.