User Reviews (730)

• Slartibarti1 April 2017
    God-awful movie that makes Prometheus look like a brilliant sci-fi movie
    This has to be the worst sci-fi movie I have ever seen (and trust me I have seen a lot). It is an insult to anyone with just half a brain. But let me give you a little taste of this gem:

It starts off with a capsule with a soil probe from Mars on its way to Earth that is out of control due to a crash with little meteorites. The ISS, where the probe should be processed, has to catch it manually, which they do by means of an extendable arm. Okay. I wont go into the physics off this, but if you have ever seen how much energy is set free when a car crashes into something with 100km/h relative velocity, you should know that such a catching maneuver is bound to go south (not even talking about the problem of maintaining a space station in geostationary orbit with nothing but little jet nozzles whilst trying to get it into a configuration such that it has low relative velocity with respect to a capsule that is headed straight for Earth with something like 20000km/h). Mind you, at this point we are 5 minutes into the movie and the science was already thrown out of the window.

Fast forward. We are in the CDC approved lab, which is a plexiglass shielded section of the ISS with nothing but a plexiglass door without any further safety precautions. Inside this section is a glove box, where they keep the probe. Turns out the probe contains life which has been idle for about 4 billion years without decaying (obviously entropy doesn't apply to aliens). Well, how about we try to wake it without further investigation? Yeah, let's do that.

Fast forward. It has grown to a hand-sized organism, but has fallen into a slumber again. It's still inside the glove box and attacks the biologist who tried to wake it by electrocuting it. It breaks his tool and his hand, which causes him to faint, and leads to its escape from the box by means of using the broken tool to cut open the glove of the glove box. (yeah, it only took earth's organisms like 3 billion years to learn to use tools, this thing does it in less than 12 hours). But fear not, whilst the life form is busy eating a rat, a colleague hops in the lab and pulls the biologist out. Surprise, surprise, the organism latches on him, so that the other guys have to seal him into the lab. He tries to burn the organism with an oxygen torch and with a flame thrower (which they obviously have ready to use on a space station, ofc). Welp, it doesn't help, this carbon-water-based organism is immune to fire (hey, because chemistry doesn't apply to aliens, didn't you know?). Subsequently, the organism kills him and eats him from the inside. The fire has caused the air vents to open, which somehow can only be closed one by one, and gives the organism time to flee.

Jup, we are not even 20 minutes into this masterpiece but the stupidity is mind-boggling. I could keep on writing about a lot more of this utterly dumb movie (like the organism being able to survive in space for prolonged times, the space station being out of fuel just at a time where it is convenient for the "plot", the organism drinking toxic liquid coolant, the space station going on a descent right after it has been pushed outward on an ascending course (because screw logic), etc.), but let me finish by saying that in the end of the movie this organism has figured out how to read instruments in an escape pod, how to steer said escape pod and how to safely reenter it into earth's atmosphere, all whilst fighting the astronaut in the escape pod. (Which was tried to be masked as plot twist. but you could see that one from a mile away). And although it has killed every astronaut basically on sight, it decided to leave this last one in the escape pod alive with itself latched to him. Wanna know why? Because it has anticipated that, despite it successfully completing the landing of a space ship, it won't be able to open the door of the escape pod and someone on the outside has to do it for it. Which some fisher men actually do, despite the fact that they can clearly see that inside the pod there is a bloody, heavily injured astronaut with a man-sized alien octopus attached to it.

I urge you to not go to watch this movie. Waste of time and money. I have suffered through it. No need for you to suffer too.
  • Hive Mind23 March 2017
    Good looking movie with unbelievable plot and mediocre characters
    The Good:

Believable, big budget special effects. Some decent jump scares and squirm-in-your-seat horror.

The Bad:

The characters were generic and boring. The acting was often spotty and not consistent with the situation (more poor direction than bad acting I think). The Martian creature came from the soil on Mars where it had to hibernate to survive, yet it could survive freezing cold, burning heat, no oxygen, space vacuum and everything else the crew could throw at it. And it pretty much ate everything (including cooling fluid). Lazy science to aid lazy plot sequences.

The Ugly:

Unrealistic behavior from professional astronauts and scientists. Every scene seemed to be a result of a poor decision putting the crew at risk. Everything seemed predictable and there was little-to-no tension.

Unlike the brilliant Alien - where you felt the protagonist (Ripley) and crew did everything right, yet fell victim to a horrifyingly believable alien (except for Ripley and the cat of course) - the crew in Life pretty much seemed to randomly do things, forget things, then remember things, and generally make the worst of the situation, while terrorized by the "super-alien-jellyfish" thing. I spent most of the movie thinking "wait... what? why?". Mediocre film from a mediocre Director.
  • majoreasy24 March 2017
    So much potential...so little logic...
    Great start and I was riveted for the first 20 or so minutes...then the plot fell over from a lack of logic and slid further and further away from reality.

If the whole story was crap from the start, just from the filming and acting, I might have given this a 3 or even 5...but for something so promising to turn bad from just before the half way mark was extremely disappointing and frustrating.

As said...the beginning was nice and though there were some misplaced work ethics and contradictions, it was acceptable and we can put them down to human character flaws...

Some examples of what killed it for me...spoiler ahead...

The commander decided to not come back in to the station and instead leave the creature outside...why didn't she just push herself away...she should know that in space...a light push will keep her going forever...instead, she allowed the creature a chance to cling back onto the space station...heroic maybe, but not smart (a non-scientific-minded commander of a space station?).

Miranda and David found out that they can track the creature's movement. At that same time, Sho is still hiding in the sleep pod and to them, he is still missing and without comms...wouldn't the immediate normal human (team)reaction is to find and bring back the third last surviving member of the group? They trapped the creature in one area. Shouldn't, wouldn't they try to 'kill' it when it is trapped? No...doing something would be more taxing than just chatting with each other.

The part where Sho opened the door to the 'rescue' shuttle and air started rushing out...all three of them looked like they were hanging on for dear life not to be 'sucked' away...yet once they decide that Sho is dead and lost, the two of them can scramble away like normal zero gravity...huh?? Were they just acting out the struggle with rushing air? In the same scene...many people have died and their anger and repulsion for the creature is well known...yet, when the creature crawled from Sho to Miranda, she kept on holding him to allow it to crawl onto her...try that with a rat or a spider and we all know that it is not normal for a person repulsed by something to keep holding on like that... Instead, Sho must act the hero to rip the creature back onto himself to save her...if he had wanted to save her, he should have let go when he realised he couldn't shake the creature...

The creature was floating around outside the space station for quite a long time...but they decide at the end that it needed oxygen to survive (like humans? can we float around outside a space station for more than 2 minutes- even assuming we can handle the decompression like the creature can???) and in fact would hug an oxygen producer is laughable...please...before filming start...decide if the creature needs oxygen!!! (or love oxygen in fact)

David put the escape pod into manual mode so that he can fly himself and the creature out to deep space...and while I understand the creature is very smart and learns quickly...but so quickly that it can fly the escape pod back for a re-entry? Wow...a half degree off would either skip the pod back out to space or dive too steeply and incinerate the pod...but it did the improbable...perfect re-entry control without lessons or prior practise....frigging brilliant...

There were many more like these but I lost interest not much later after the commander died and the rest preferred to cry instead of dealing a serious problem...so didn't register much of the less glaring...

A possible Alien level movie failed by poor scripting and story...could have been a real classic...but sadly no...Hollywood's thinking that we must like space movies because the CGI is impressive needs to change...they should have a re-look at Alien, Sunshine, Moon and The Martian and understand that space can be a great movies backdrop but logic MUST still be strictly earth-bound if it involves humans...

Not yet offensive to the intellect but just sad and unrealistic.
  • crazylegscain25 March 2017
    Oh dear! More stupid, dumb, gullible "professionals" in space!
    First let me get something out of the way, I apologise for the cretins who compare this film with such masterpieces as Alien, Aliens or any of the first 4 Alien films which are vastly superior to this piece of tripe. This film should be compared to the equally disturbing and lame "Prometheus", but those bunch of retards, sorry "astronauts" in that film obviously went to the same space academy as this sorry bunch of losers. My jaw just hit the floor from the very start of this pathetic effort. Catching containers from Mars like you were fishing for Sticklebacks in a pond? Are you ****in kidding me? Then scientist guy starts playing with an ALIEN life form like he's just picked a bogey out of his nose! While wearing kitchen gloves! I don't know about you but that thing was doing some freaky sheet and these are just a few things that would of concerned me: Does it bite, stab, explode, give off gases, radiate any sort of energy, could it control your brain? Before that thing started turning into a mini transformer and going for a mooch I would of been long gone and phoning home for a ticket back. When little alien called "Calvin" ...... (No I'm not making this up!) Decides to grab scientists arm and act all hostile (Due to Calvin having a nap, to be rudely woken up by being ELECTROCUTED) another of the brain dead astronauts wants to go in and rescue him! Later on Calvin is crawling all over Jap guy and two fellow crew are trying to pull him towards them into their part of the station? WHY? Just so much of this awful logic defying stuff is going on that I just couldn't take anymore. I was just wishing for Calvin to finish off these goons as soon as possible and I had a chuckle to myself every time one bit the dust. I vote 2 because the ending was so satisfying. If these bunch of sad goons represent the pinnacle of human achievement, the whole species can die. I would call this film "Prometheus 2 - squid takes out pathetic humans again"
  • Hao24 March 2017
    Unbearable to watch if you still has any common sense
    It is rare for me to do a complete password reset to write a short movie review. I do hope that my little effort and many others' effort can alert the Hollywood that this world, the audience, still need a well written script that make sense.

This movie is a total loss and is unbearable to watch. It lacks the very basic (minimal) scientific reasoning about almost every single scene. I will list them as follows:

1. NASA and other space agency across the global are completely out of their mind in selecting astronauts. Every single people in the international space station (ISS) seem to be extremely emotional, unprofessional, and lack the very basic science knowledge. It is awful to hear that many of them have the "Dr." title. It is such a decry to the scientific professionals. These characters do not represent the people with a Phd, and the diligent people working on sending people to Mars, for real.

2. The ridiculous lab setting is a failure even for researching known disease on earth soil. There is a character who is from CDC in the movie. However, I wonder any CDC expert would ever consider attending a mission that is so cutting edge and full of unknown, with the knowledge that the lab is not as good as the ones they used to treat ZIKA in Africa. Those ZIKA labs(tents actually) has better breach protocols and protection than the 200 Billion ISS described in the movie.

3. The life form is too ridiculous. If the producer wants to make a "Alien" like creature, then please do not make a movie that uses the real life as story background. The life form consume water and is carbon based. Yet, it does not boil or explode in the bare space? I do not know if such creature exists, but it is definitely not carbon based. So, please get a scientific consultant before even considering make this movie.

I like watching super hero movies, since they just don't try to hint you to attempt making sense of the movie. It is OK to make a movie that is nonsense, as long as you do not try to deliver it as if it make sense.

I like watching science fictions, since they will at least follow some basic rules. Martians and Interstellar are pretty stretch on scientific mind. However, there is a way for you to at least explain the story. It is very boundary case, but it can make sense. I think this is the very basic principal for a science fiction movie that try to use real world as context.

The final word is that "how did this movie end up getting the ridiculous rating?" When I check the rating, even the rotten tomato puts it to 61%. This is too beyond my sense.
  • demenydavid26 March 2017
    Life is full of illogical events.
    This could have been a really great and interesting movie, but it is ruined by a string of illogical events.

Spoiler alert ! !

Some of these: - Kevin (the alien) seems to be totally fire resistant. At the beginning, one of the scientist chased it in the isolation room and hit it with a blowtorch multiple times. The alien did not even slow down a bit, but directly attacked back without seemingly having any wound. Knowing that only very few materials can resist heat above a couple of hundred degrees, that seems to be very unreasonable.

• The communication system broke down right at the beginning. No secondary system available in the whole ISS! ! A "radio" cannot cost that much in the age of telecommunication so designers of ISS would not build one or more backups of this essential tool into ISS. And that notion that the communication system would need special coolant ... Does not make sense at all.

• Scientist are mourning a lost crew member for seemingly a long time while having an all resistant and all powerful alien roaming in their tiny space station putting them in immediate mortal danger.

• The "genius" biologist let himself to be sucked dry and endangered the entire crew and the entire Earth, by smuggling the alien on his leg. Just because he thought the alien is not evil and just trying to survive.

• Whatever the crew did worked in favour of the alien. Like if an unseen hand (lame script) wanted to raise tension by always helping the alien. Trying to burn the alien in the tubes, the Soyuz capsule which was meant to push the ISS away from Earth, all pushed the station closer to Earth! Nothing happened benefiting the crew.

• The female scientist sacrificed herself for nothing. It was evident that the alien can jump with quite an accuracy, so it just jumped back from her dead body to the space station as could be easily anticipated even by me.

• The fuel just run out at the wrong time. It seemed that if the fuel would last a bit longer, the alien would suffocate. Surprisingly the entire space station lost all the fuel just before the alien died, so it could enter the space station again.

• Around the end all system failures worked against the humans and for the alien. The 2 escape pods went just the wrong direction. Of course they hit the debris around the space station causing both to take the opposite course the pilots wanted. Kevin (the alien) seemingly learnt on the fly how to navigate a human space capsule safely back to Earth while subduing the scientist in it. He learnt how the control works, what would be the correct entry path, how human system work on the fly. HOW? Moreover the astronaut in the capsule did not anticipate that if the autopilot is let run, than the alien would end up back on Earth. He clicked buttons, took the controls but these were not enough the diver the capsule away from the correct entry course. Could not even go on a burn up or skim off course at least....

There were lot more of these in the movie. Basically the movie had rarely anything logical in it. Even in movie Alien people were not these "unlucky" or movie script so lame. They fought back, they had their moments, the universe (script) did not conspire to destroy them no matter what.
  • Firstname Lastname31 May 2017
    Too bad to even be funny.
    Life is the kind of horror that relies on the viewer buying into the idea that supposedly brilliant people will all suddenly choose to to incredibly stupid things.

The movie fails so spectacularly after trying so hard to be realistic in it's portrayal of space travel that it fails to be anything more than a comedy with a few gratuitous jump scares.

At the core of this movie's failings is it's constant need to get it's alien antagonist to places it shouldn't be.

To make the point about brilliant people doing stupid things, barely half an hour in, a supposedly highly trained astronaut decides it would be a great idea to enter the lab containing an escaped and clearly dangerous alien to try and rescue a trapped colleague. This, of course, required opening the single door separating the dangerous alien which just severely injured on crew member from the other 5 crew members.

Really? I'm supposed to accept this as a reasonable decision?

Worse, this isn't even how the alien escapes. This mind numbing stupidity from a supposedly reasonable character is just the setup for even more ridiculous antics.

The decision to enter the room with a dangerous alien was merely the excuse to get the station's engineer into the lab, where he would proceed to use a flamethrower (really?) in a failed attempt to kill the alien. The flamethrower then sets off some space sprinklers (which wouldn't work due to the lack of gravity), allowing the alien to escape into the space station's fire suppression plumbing (which the actual ISS does not have, since, you know, it would't work).

In scene after scene, the movie continues to obliterate any remnants of it's plausibility, from the ISS's fuel being expended in 3 short burns (The Zarya and Zvezda modules carry over 6000kg of fuel combined, which the movie expends in about 30s), or the stations thrusters being inexplicably connected to the station interior to allow the alien inside (despite the fuel for the thrusters being extremely toxic to humans on top of being explosively reactive - i.e., why it's used as rocket fuel), to the crew not being informed of a final fail-safe measure, resulting in a crew member accidentally interrupting it (We're going to push you into deep space if containment fails is hardly some kind of shocking revelation when just getting to the ISS risks fiery death).

The constant and brazen violations of realism (which, let's be honest, could have been caught with 5 minutes on Google, or about 10 seconds of applying some common sense), in a movie that tries so hard to be serious in it's tone and presentation completely destroys any semblance of being either horror or science fiction.

I can not, in good conscience, recommend this movie to anyone who is not inebriated to the point of passing out.
  • saittham7127 March 2017
    Gravity meets Alien with a very poor script
    If you want to experience what the world's most stupid space crew would do when they encounter alien life, then this is the movie for you. You will be spoiled with one idiotic decision after the other, making you wonder if the alien life-form also has telepathic powers, using it to dumb down it's prey.

At the start of the movie the crew is besides themselves with joy when they manage to reanimate a single alien cell that has been dead for billions of years. Even when it starts to replicate and grow very fast, none of them feels any sense of possible danger.

After the alien life-form attacks the scientist, there still seems to be no hurry to just shoot the lab into space. After all, it's just mankind's future that is at stake. No, the most important thing is to save the scientist. This crew would have benefited from a sociopath in their midst or a protocol obsessed captain. That would have saved them many times.

To make matters worse, a huge chunk of the dialogue is redundant. You see that the creature has grown, then somebody says "Wow, it has grown". You see the alien make a fast escape, somebody says "Wow, it is fast". You see the alien being smart, you hear someone say "How smart is this thing?". You see the alien look for air holes, you hear someone say "It is looking for air holes" …you get the picture. Who on earth would write a script like that and not notice the stupendous redundancy?

The movie does have some great tense and gory moments that work well. There just is not enough of them to make it work as a good horror movie. The alien itself starts out very realistic, but looks increasingly CGI during the movie and the many close-ups don't help. It looks too surreal to be threatening.

All in all, it was a huge disappointment to me. With a star cast like that, you would expect more than just a very bland space thriller.
  • Charles Huegli24 March 2017
    Unbearable "mistakes" by movie characters
    I was highly annoyed by the unprofessional and error-prone behaviour of the movie characters. Throughout the movie, you will ask yourself: How can he be so stupid? Why is she not doing the obvious? Why are the astronauts emphasising proper procedures, then five seconds later breaking their own rules? How come a former soldier is breaking the chain of command? There is nothing realistic about the behaviour of these characters. In the end, I just hated them. I do not believe that there is a demographic that likes movies like this. Either the script was written by an incompetent author, or the directors are ignorant of what makes a good movie.
  • Stuart Davies1 April 2017
    Utter tripe where all the crew are morons and lifeform defies physics
    The plot has so many holes it may as well be made of Swiss cheese. The whole story is just littered with so many gaping chasms of logic that it got boring spotting them...

A speeding multi-ton satellite can be caught with a flimsy armature as momentum doesn't exist in the universe the story is based in?

A mission where the architects thought to put in a multi-level quarantine regime, but didn't think to put in mechanisms for destroying any threat within it?

Quarantine that can be broken simply by the crew mechanic opening the door when he got a bit excited?

Crew stop and take the time to have a good cry when members get killed or have heart to heart chats in the middle of an emergency?

A planet residing, carbon based lifeform that can exist in the vacuum and low temperature of space for extended periods?

An initially single cellular lifeform, that has been trained in and given schematics on how to sabotage radio communications.

A crew who aren't fully aware of the concept and practicality of quarantine and so only find out about it in the middle of an emergency?

A space station costing billions that doesn't have backups for essential systems such as communications or computers?

After switching sides and hoping to see the lifeform dissolve a few of the crew, I got frustrated with the awful script and left. Basically a low-brow sci-fi that happens to have a few good actors I was surprised to see in such a poorly scripted, turd of a movie.
  • Denise Baxter24 March 2017
    Storyline as thin as the air in space.
    *Spoiler alert* So it all starts pretty OK on a space station that is about to receive some earth samples from Mars. We get to meet the crew and some of them are top cast as Ryan Renolds and Jake Gyllenhal. And off course it strikes me that at least one of these are the main character. But that thought passed as soon as Ryan Renolds dies after only 10 minutes in the most stupid way. So the movie starts, I'm awfully confused of who the main characters are, what kind of team they are. Who should I like? Why is Jake Gyllenhal so quiet? Why is the biologist so naive and the questions go on forever. The story line is as thin as the air in space and as simple as a one cell organism. Basically you are watching a indestructible starfish kill one by one in a gory way until everybody is dead. The end is so unoriginal that a 5 year old could make something better.
  • Charlie Oscar24 March 2017
    Great idea poorly executed
    Alien-esk, but that is not what pisses me off.

Great cinematography. Wonderful concept. Believable sets. Good actors. Horrible execution and completely contrived plot line and plot drivers. I will get to the point..... The creature escapes the lab by escaping into a fire suppression vent!! Assuming it could fit into the 1/2-1/4 inch steel tubing (capable of containing several thousand psi) it would have dead-ended into a steel or carbon fiber cylinder (again capable of containing several thousand psi). The alien would have effectively trapped itself inside a completely sealed system and unable to escape. Movie over, destroy life form at earliest convenient opportunity.

It would have been much more believable and sustained the plot line if the alien could have just escaped out the door when Rory went in to rescue Huge (who causes ALL the problems with his maternal instinct - he calls it "my child" wha WHAT?! - and love for the creature completely at the expense of the lives of his crew mates). Don't even start me on when he hides in his pants - not a party in there either.

I'm done.... there are just too many holes in the construction of the plot for me to even believe that such a creature could exist or enjoy the sinister nature of the creature. Any critic who likes this must have no basic eye for detail such as the solid state of matter and how complex machines such as space craft would be constructed to keep the vacuum of space out side the craft. This space ship is obviously a sieve. this terrible movie disgusts me and I want my money back.

Yuck
  • MissThing26 March 2017
    Life sucks and then you die
    On behalf of all movie goers with semblance of common sense I would like to caution everyone who passed 10 Grade Science against seeing this movie. You'd spend 2 hours screaming at the screen and if you have a background in a field of science your head will explode. Don't say I didn't warn you...

A carbon based life form on Mars survived in hibernation the billions of years since the planet lost its atmosphere. OK, why not, I can bend that far. So far I am with you.

The crew of the International Space Station gets incredibly lucky in an intergalactic game of catch with the pod carrying soil samples. This is starting to be problematic but stranger things have happened.

But the next scene broke the suspension bridge to my disbelief. The paraplegic biologist with severely misplaced paternal instincts, wearing no protective suit what so ever opens the samples in a box separated from the lab by a pair of kitchen gloves. There is no protocol in place for decontamination or isolation. There is no quarantine, open the door of the lab and you are in the company of the crew waiting to be slaughtered. As things start to go wrong we find out that air is supplied to the lab through vents that can only be shut down one at the time, they lead directly into the life support system of the station and the pressure inside of it is produced by magic. To top it all off a member of the crew who is from the CDC so presumably studied pathogens in Earth-bound labs had no problem with this set up what so ever.

They figure out that this single cell organism needs 20 degrees Celsius and a very specific oxygen and CO2 mix to come back to a live state. Good news to the audience is that when the temp is accidentally lowered the creature goes back to napping. Although we are moving along the story line of Alien which means there will only be one survivor we are made to think that maybe the amateurs who built the lab will not have caused the demise of the crew and the creature is at least in for a good fight. But no such luck. The creature eats a rat and Ryan Reynolds which in turn makes it able to survive the minus 270 degrees Celsius temperature and zero pressure of open space. If it's all that it takes we should consider this before we start colonizing space.

I gave it a total of 3 stars, one for the scenes of zero gravity conditions and one for the acting then deducted one for the ending on behalf of NASA. I don't care how adaptable the Mars alien is it can't go from a single cell to piloting for a successful re-entry in Earth's atmosphere in 24 hours.
  • mrx-7722211 August 2017
    It's LIFE Jim, but not as we know it...
    I enjoyed this movie. It has some great jumpy moments at the beginning to pull you into this movie's orbital trajectory.

But to enjoy this movie you do have to suspend your essential disbelief that America and a consortium of other product placement regions, sorry I mean Russia, China and Japan, could spend "well over $200bn" putting a science station in orbit and then man it (or should that be "woman it") with half of a dozen of their most stupid scientists (convincingly played by Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Reynolds and Rebecca Ferguson). ;-)

If you can do that, you'll love it and even find some of it funny.

And if you've never seen Alien (1979) or Gravity (2013) before you might even find the plot line highly original too. ;-)
  • Mukul Hastak12 June 2017
    Ignore the hate and give it a go!
    I've seen a loooot of bad reviews for this movie, the primary reason for the hate being that the plot was 'unrealistic' or 'implausible'........ uhm.........what the f**k, haters? If you want to watch a sci-fi alien monster movie that's 'realistic', go watch some NASA documentaries, don't come to the cinemas.

Another reason for all the bad reviews seems to be that it 'tries to imitate Alien but fails'. Well, f**k, then no one else should ever try to make another space monster movie ever! Lets just keep watching the 1979 'Alien' again and again........seriously.....

So, why do i think this movie is so much better than all the negative press it is getting ? Well for a change it's set on the ISS, not a fictional planet or space-ship floating around 100s of light-years away.....(implausible they say). It has people who seem to be astronauts, dealing with a growing life form, rather than space heroes shooting space guns at space monsters (unrealistic, they say). The horror, suspense and intrigue (which critics say stems for unrealistic situations) is in my opinion a near-perfect example of Murphy's law in action. Then, the acting (another prickly point for the critics) is actually very well done given the situations the characters find themselves in. Reynolds, Gylenhaal & Ferguson all deliver solid performances in an era where all the 'acting' talent is reserved for sentimental Oscar-bait movies. As for the plot? strong, fast-paced yet coherent enough for us uninitiated every-day astronauts. And a SOLID twist at the very end.

So, all-in-all, ignore the hate and give this movie a try \m/
  • Paynebyname24 March 2017
    Good quality sci fi horror
    Just got back from seeing this and I have to say that I thought it was a really good film.

I see that RT only has it at 65% and it's being made out to be a cheap Alien clone but I think that is doing it a dis-service. I felt it was intelligently made, set characters and situations well and created a palpable sense of tension. Criticism that it's a blatant re-run of Alien are unjustified. Granted, it's about an alien life form in space but that to me is where the similarity ends.

Alien isn't the only scary film set in space that is allowed to be made and if Prometheus is anything to go by, Ridley has no right to be the only person allowed to make sci-fi horror films. It captured well the excitement of discovery, the wonder of space and the precariousness of facing any problems up there.

The effects were good, you could see what was going on, there was unease and dread and it kept me thoroughly absorbed and entertained. I don't want to elaborate anymore for fear of giving away spoilers but if you like a bit of tension with your sci-fi, it's worth checking out. Try to avoid the critic reviews if you can as I think going in a little blind will help your enjoyment.
  • Andrew Gold31 March 2017
    A predictable homage to "Alien," lacking the key ingredients that made "Alien" so terrifying.
    "Life" being an "Alien" ripoff should not come as a surprise to anybody; it's been marketed that way since day one. Compared to the majority of what the genre has been spewing out lately, though, a derivative sci-fi thriller can be seen as a breath of fresh air. And in many ways, "Life" succeeds as one. It's fluidly directed, well-acted, sporadically suspenseful, and thoroughly entertaining. The space setting lends itself to impressive visuals and claustrophobic scenarios, of which "Life" has no shortage. The problems with the film lie underneath the surface.

Part of what made "Alien" such a terrifying experience was its bleak atmosphere. The exploration of a cold, desolate, seemingly uninhabitable planet; traversing through the long, white corridors of the ship; the lingering sense of unease, not knowing where the alien was at any given moment. "Life" is more streamlined, its action taking place entirely on board an indistinctive space shuttle. Some scenes serve as clear homages to "Alien," such as David (Jake Gyllenhaal) floating through uncertain corridors mirroring Dallas' maneuvering of the airlocks, and one of the crew members being in isolated danger, forcing the others to decide whether or not to assist them and risk endangering the rest of the crew. These scenes work well enough to generate a modicum of suspense, but their impact is severely reduced because of the fact that we've seen it before. It's difficult to be truly scared when you know exactly what's going to happen to who and when.

Perhaps the biggest issue with "Life" is its characters. None of them have distinct personalities; we're hardly given a chance to get to know them. Some of the most effective scenes in "Alien" were simply watching the crew sitting around and chatting - we saw how they interacted with each other under normal circumstances, we noticed their quirks firsthand, we understood what their priorities were early on; so when crap started hitting the fan, those subtle characterizations made the tension all the more visceral and relatable. In "Life," we're introduced to caricatures who spout bland dialogue and do consistently stupid things. All we really know about them is their jobs, so you don't feel an impact when any particular character bites it.

Still, "Life" is too well-made to be completely dismissed. Sci-fi horror fans will likely find enjoyment from a one-time watch, if only for the constant callbacks to "Alien." It fails to break any new ground, but it's a perfectly serviceable and moderately thrilling addition to the genre.
  • stefani26 March 2017
    Terrible script but magnificent directing
    The movie started off visually stunning, every object moved smoothly as if in zero-gravity, it had great compositions, relaxing atmosphere, camera moved slow enough to not cause dizziness, and around enough to give us the feel of being in space. Our characters were introduced to us with great pace, showing little details of their background. Then it went downhill.

The rest of the movie insults the intelligence of all astronauts, all of us viewers, and all space programs. It was breach after breach of protocol, blunders, and plot-holes. Basically, stupidity moved the plot forward.

-- spoiler alert --

After the alien life-form showed aggression, broke a guy's hand, which resulted in him losing consciousness, what do you expect our team of highly intelligent, strictly disciplined, best of the best of humanity, would do?

breaking protocol #1, instead of incinerating the box and containing the aggressive alien, they did nothing. They watched as the aggressive creature took its time to escape the box.

breaking protocol #2, instead of incinerating the lab module, they opened the door, got another person stuck inside, and watched him die too, still not incinerating the lab. Why? for the sake of convenient plot device.

blunder #3 air vents suddenly opened! And it could not be closed! oh no! with a dead guy in the lab, what do 4 of our most intelligent people did? send one person to close the air vent one by one. why are they still not incinerating the lab? help me.

IS all the talk about firewall 1 (incinerate box) and firewall 2 (incinerate lab) just talk? sure, spend 10 minutes discussing firewall 1 and firewall 2 then conveniently forget to do either when needed to move the plot along.

plot-hole #4 dangerous murderous alien who went to hibernation after a minor turbulence at the ISS , is suddenly able to freely waltz outside the ISS in vacuum.

breaking protocol #5 In the event of murderous creature on the loose outside of ISS, our group of intelligent astronauts decided to send one person to die by walking around outside ISS.

Killer alien then attaches to said astronaut walking outside. BIG surprise, like seriously, what did you expect would happen?

breaking protocol #6 At that point, our intelligent astronaut was still trying to save herself, trying to get back into ISS, thinking perhaps the rest of the crew can get it off of her. Only in the last dramatic minute when she is supposed to open the door did she decide, oh, actually, it is better that I keep this dangerous alien outside of ISS, because most likely it will just kill everyone inside if it re- enters. Now we have a cheap thrilling/emotional moment where she sacrificed herself.

plot-hole #7 after killing the astronaut, alien decided to discard the life source it just got: the cooler liquid in the spacesuit and the glucose inside the astronaut's body. Instead of latching on to food, it decided to get back in the ISS. This could still be explained by saying it has developed enough intelligence to know deep space is dangerous, but I doubt after 6 consecutive, stupid plot devices, that the scriptwriter put more thought to it than just "it would be thrilling if it tried to get back into the spaceship now."

plot-hole #8 alien knows exactly how to get back into ISS. Viewers were just explained that there are 6 thrusters where it can get back in.

blunder #9 stupidly burn what little of remaining fuel to temporarily stop alien coming in, and at the same time, get ISS into entry orbit. Just what we should expect from our intelligent astronauts, throw away what little resources they have to temporarily keep a dangerous creature out while moving orbit into earth (sarcasm).

#10 after this much danger and breach of protocol, our remaining female lead astronaut decide it is still not time to announce that they should contain the alien in ISS, and prepare to sacrifice themselves. This leaves our Japanese astronaut to expect rescue.

This expectation to be rescued allowed our Japanese astronaut to accidentally set alien free, kill himself, and kill one random new astronaut.

#11 alien never split itself up to kill multiple targets even though it is a cellular organism.

#12 escape pod conveniently malfunctioned and propelled the other astronaut into deep space. Then conveniently work as intended in pod with alien inside.

#13 alien did not kill astronaut for the whole 15 minutes of him in escape pod. A gruesome body would have deterred the fisherman from opening the pod.

---

Such lazy script! What a waste of great shots! I left feeling drained, dumb, and stressed. Save yourselves and skip this movie.
  • cognitivelapse23 March 2017
    CONTAINS SPOILERS: I want my money back
    This movie was absolutely awful. The story line unfolds as an ever ending cycle of worst case scenarios. Literally. If at any given point in the movie ONE THING would have went right, the movie would have ended. Instead its just non stop b.s. even leading onto the next one.

I would highly suggest not watching this if you are easily triggered by absolutely non realistic decision making processes, mistakes in continuity, or just completely mind blowing stupidity.

1/10, would not watch EVER again.
  • angiao7 April 2017
    Spoiler alert and No! Don;t watch this movie!
    OK, so this is my first time writing review since I saw there are so many irrational positive reviews out here. If you want to watch horror movie with crazy octopus-like alien, then it is fun.If you have brain and you would like to think, then this movie is so illogical and absurd. Spoiler warning: The movie starts pretty slow, and the scenes are very beautiful I have to say. Then a biologist finds this Carbon-based new life.It is important to keep in mind that this is carbon-based! This monster grows surprisingly fast, as a scientist, I would like to poke it with kitchen gloves and electricity to make it like me haha. They even named this monster "Calvin". So Calvin breaks his "father's" hands and eats another astronomer even it's under flame??? (Yeah, even I'm carbon-based I'm totally fine with fire) . Fancy spaceship of course doesn't have button to shut down air vents at once obviously, and the poor lady who decides to fix the connection between earth gets caught from Calvin. She decides to sacrifice herself just before she can get back, and Calvin can stay alive without Oxygen and move swiftly in the space. Then Calvin's back! He's back from no where??? His father biologist sees him but say nothing until every one is sealed in one small room and sees Calvin's eating his father's leg???? I might understand you think "Calvin" is your son, this is the way he can survive, but do you remember you Japanese astronomer friend just got a real new-born back on earth....?? Every one escapes and that Japanese guy dies.. Finally, only two people left. They start to take and cry.. wait... there are two escape pod...??? Interesting. And one guy tries to sacrifice himself and bring Calvin to deep space and let the lady go back to earth. Of course, of course, even though you figure out light attracts Calvin, you still want to bring him with you but not leave him here and use there two escape pods to go home. Even at this point, I'm still fine with this scripts. Until the director tries to make people think the lady got on earth and the guy brings Calvin into deep space and dies. In the end, somehow their escape pods go oppositely as they wish, and Calvin surprisingly knows how to drive escape pod??? He leaves his food alive and control the astronomer's hands then safely lands on earth?????? Of course, this high technology escape pod can be opened outside by some random fishers, even though they see there's a gigantic alien inside from window. The end. What can I say?
  • Michal Tichý9 April 2017
    Horribly Beautiful or beautifully horrible ?
    Im huge fan of scifi so couldn't missed it.. nothing is perfect including this film, but come on, don't be like those guys who criticize every scene in logical,physical,scientific point of view..it has great freshness in it, very welcomed ending, great build up and working start of the second act. film has numerous scenes where you get goosebumps, especially girls will be shocked no doubt. Only thing is that Reynolds is predictably the "funny guy" of this crew and it seems bit annoying. he maybe wanted this role and be similar like in dead-pool or so.. he is funny guy and i like this person in real life but he should try to play very reasonable, pragmatic, calm guys.. maybe he should play Gylenhaal's role.. Characters are only weak point. you must like em from another movies to wish them luck here. you don't know em much. you see who's got family, who's got spooky sense for living in space, but is it enough ? Yes movie has ALien (1979) DNA in it, yes its modern-like horror, but first of all it has power to scare you or spook you (at least), because the monster is pretty awesome, scary and it has all horror ingrediences in that monster design. I think its very very working film, and i would recommned to everyone, firstly to all who are not scifi fans because at least you would see what you are missing..
  • hdavis-295 April 2017
    Unoriginal and Unimaginably Stupid
    If this film were a high school essay it would receive a failing grade for two major reasons. One is its sheer stupidity (more on that in a moment). The other is its lack of originality or – as it's known in school – plagiarism. Is there a rule that says we've got to remake Alien for every new generation? If you love the old "confined in a small space with a bloodthirsty alien" routine, go see Alien. Indeed, go see any of its sequels before you waste your time on this not-very-bright remake. If you're a real film historian, then go see It – The Terror From Beyond Space. Despite its silly title, this low-budget 1958 original shows you where the whole Alien franchise got its shtick from.

But by far, the bigger sin here is stupidity. Even the most original film concept couldn't survive a script like this. Suspension of disbelief is one thing. But this goes way beyond that. Consider: these guys are doing the Star Trek thing. They're looking for new life and new civilizations. They're geared to finding new life forms, and we find them eagerly going through what look like soil samples from Mars. So you'd think they'd have some protocols in place just in case they get lucky. Even more, you'd think the people on the mission would show a little sophistication about dealing with possible alien forms of life. And you'd think their vehicle would be designed with the dangers of such possibilities in mind.

So what do we get? The highest priority seems to be naming the alien. Then some clown on the crew actually poking his finger at this not-so-benign looking life form! Ask yourself - if a 10 year old kid finds an orphaned raccoon in the woods and brings it home, what does he do? He names it and tries to pet it. So why can't we expect a little more from this highly trained space crew than that 10-year old kid? And when this alien goes quiet for a while, guess what that space explorer does. He sticks an electric prod into the alien to try to rouse it! It's hard to tell for the rest of the movie whether the creature's behavior towards the crew reflects inherent evil (which the writers conveniently assume) or because it's just plain p*ssed off. Lord knows, I am, and all I did was buy a ticket.

The three stars in my review are for (1) hearing Norman Greenbaum under the closing credits - what an unexpected payday for him! and (2) the CG effects. At least, I'm assuming they're CGIs. If not, I'm even more impressed with the acting job done by somebody's pet octopus. Next to the lab rat, who didn't have much to do before being absorbed, the creature deserves star billing. And FWIW, neither of us could figure out what happened at the end. It was plain the producers were going to pull a Night of the Living Dead "nothing turns out OK" ending. But I couldn't even guess the "logic" behind how this one went so horribly wrong. Maybe the whole movie is simply meant to be a political satire revealing that ultimately our species is doomed by its own stupidity.
  • FilmReviewer83526 March 2017
    Bonechilling, frightening and unexpecting with...empty characters?
    I'm starting to notice a trend in movies throughout the beginning of the year. Ever since January, we've been getting quite a few different horror/thriller films this year. The results have been mixed to generally positive; Split and Get Out have received positive attention for instance. And now we have Life.

Life is about a group of six astronauts who discover a single cell on Mars. They all research it for a while, the cell grows into a life form, and they discover that the life form is very deadly, and the astronauts must work together to keep it from reaching earth.

I'm going to start with what I didn't like about the movie. My main issue with it has to be the characters. For the most part, they feel very dry and empty. So much so that I couldn't remember a thing about them. There were only two characters who felt like they had any sense of character. The two I'm talking about are Ariyon Bakare's character since he is a scientist and holds a lot of focus in the beginning as the main researcher. Then there's Hiroyuki Sanada's role. His reasoning for wanting to go back to earth makes him the only character I wanted to root for. Aside from that, it's hard for me to care about the movie's characters.

If I were to talk about the things I liked about it, I would like to start with the overall feeling of the movie. After the first act, everything begins to feel tense. There are many tense scenes that have left me feeling horrified, and that's what I believe is the main strength of the movie. If you're going into a thriller movie, you'll expect many intense moments. That's what you get throughout the movie. Something I find very impressive throughout it is that almost the entirety of the film takes place in a space vessel. It's amazing how well it plays into the movie and how well the director, actors and cameraworkers perform their duties and how the movie works so well in such a small, boxed in area. I had my doubts walking in, but what works works really well. Another thing I liked about it was how it ended. I'm not gonna go in-depth with it because that would lead into spoiler territory.

Overall, I thought this movie was very frightening and unexpecting. It had many twists and turns that kept me on the edge of my seat. However, the movie's weakness would have to be the characters. But I can forgive that with its gripping and thrilling plot.
  • mpcoe200324 March 2017
    Life gets sucked out of Life by bad direction.
    Life is a simple story that has been told many times before, most notably by Ridley Scott in the 1979 film Alien. A group of diverse astronauts discover an alien life form, which eventually becomes a threat to their lives.

Life starts out as an intriguing enough plot, a crew is assigned to intercept a damaged satellite that contains soil samples from Mars. Once these samples are retrieved, the on board scientist begins to discover what becomes the films protagonist, an intelligent life form with a brutal determination to survive.

Unfortunately Life fails to make use of a great cast and a fairly fresh take on the classic alien versus man concept. To make a long story short, the Direction is poor. You never really connect with any of the characters, therefore the order in which they are inevitably dispatched not only makes little sense, but doesn't affect the viewer on any emotional level. The suspense is forced, the twists although not particularly predictable are underwhelming and the ending lacks closure.

Wait till On Demand to view this one :)
  • pesic-122 May 2017
    Atrocious
    Let's start with the ending: what a big f-you to the audience. It doesn't even work as a twist ending, because the only twist is that they are telling you that what you saw is not what you saw. And that alone makes me angry, not to mention the fact that the ending shatters what little investment we had in these characters, letting us know that although we might have cared about them, the filmmakers did not. The ending is not there for our benefit, but for the benefit of the filmmakers who are clearly out of touch with film as an art form, and even as entertainment.

But let's go back to the beginning: a capsule is flying through space, returning from Mars, and there is a lot of fuss on the space station, since the capsule is off course and needs to be captured through a difficult maneuver. The whole scene has absolutely no bearing on the rest of the film, and is there simply to give the audience an exciting opening. Already then I felt cheated and my expectations for the rest of the film sank.

Then we find out that there was life in the samples from Mars, and life that they reanimate in minutes. Of course, there are no safety precautions, and the governments of the countries involved seem happy to let them play with alien life without any clear agenda or security concerns. The only thing they care about is naming the thing.

Then, through some incredibly lazy writing, they lose contact with earth, and never regain it. Brilliant.

Then, the thing (it's called 'Calvin') grows into a squid that can fly through air without actually propelling itself. You remember the film 'Alien'? One of the potential directors for that film said he'd just buy a liver at the supermarket and that would be the alien. He didn't get the job, but a similar fool got this job. I mean, it's a stupid squid. It's not scary or original.

From then on, in a series of incredibly confusing scenes where the audience spends most of the time trying to figure out what the hell is going on, the characters are killed off one by one. The characters remain cardboard cutouts, nothing but fresh meat for the alien. One of them barely manages to escape, but is then killed off five minutes later, making his escape totally pointless. There is absolutely nothing in terms of payoff in this film. Nothing is set up, and no investment in a character is ever rewarded.

Finally, for some reason, the station falls apart and we get the stupid, confusing ending, which also ends up being a confusing TWIST ending. Genius.

On a positive note, the film has some entertainment value, but not enough to redeem it. It's a failure in terms of screen writing, directing, and editing. And the monster is as stupid as its name.