• Margaery-Tyrell11 May 2017
    Haunting and Chilling.
    To begin, I believe that most people visiting these pages are intelligent enough to tell the difference between those that are reviewing this series with honesty versus the ones who for reasons other than the viewing experience, wish to tear it down. As someone has already mentioned, the negative reviews are fraught with fear and the worst kind of delusion that exists: self delusion (the delusion a person hides behind and convinces themselves of in order not to see the truth).

The Handmaid's Tale is a series that presents what could happen were women's rights reverted or taken away. There is nothing in my previous sentence that is not true. Let me type it again. The Handmaid's Tale is a series that presents what could happen were women's rights reverted or taken away. Is it an extreme depiction? Let's study that for a moment. In a Puritanical society, the Bible was the sole authority. Puritans believed it applied to every area and level of life. The Salem Witch Trials are one such example of Puritanical beliefs in action. Were it not for historical documentation, you would have people negating those as well. So, as to the question of whether it could or couldn't happen, the people most decrying it and stating that it could not happen, are the ones that most believe it can. Don't let them fool you.

The Handmaid's Tale takes you into this dystopian future, and it has never felt more real. I had to pause it on a couple of occasions to catch my breath. No, it doesn't hit you over the head every so often with good scenes; the beauty of it is that it is equally haunting, strong and breathtaking in its entirety.

To grab from another review: "The echoes of resemblance to the United States' current political administration create another layer of exceptionalism. Make no mistake, this is a political work. But it makes its case in a way that, like George Orwell's 1984 reflect our world back at us in a mirror that is both familiar and perverse", and because of it, it is extraordinary.

Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★★ Excellent
  • MoreWalkLessTalk29 April 2017
    It has been said already, but I must agree: A MUST WATCH
    I've never written a review in my life. After seeing this and then looking for more information about it, I came across IMDb and instead of finding intelligent reviews from intelligent people, I find a few that scream of ignorance.

It is pretty easy to understand why.

As the 20th century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more enlightened, civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down of society began to occur. How did this happen? Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest and in which the weakest or not-so-intelligent were culled, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Evolution began not to reward intelligence, but to coddle and save the weakest. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left "Intelligent Man and Woman" to become an endangered species. One need not look far within these comments to see that in effect. It's not that hate which is shown in some of these reviews that is killing the world. I think that up to a certain point all of us possess some level of hate. It is not having the mental acuity or aptitude to recognize it within ourselves, and to not let ourselves be led by it. Some of these so-called reviews are downright scary when you stop to think that is the actual mentality of the person who wrote them. One guy decrying interracial couples and gays to the point of not watching a television program that has them. A woman who says this could not happen and in the next paragraph goes on to detail how it could happen, only not as Christianity. Who cares what it is called, if you admit it could happen?

As for this series itself, it is relevant. For now. In this time. More than ever.

Beyond that, it is beautifully filmed and acted.

Do not fall for the negative reviews of those fanatics and zealots who are purposefully trying to bring down the ratings and who are so lost they cannot even practice the very laws of a god they are trying to defend.

This series is a masterpiece.
  • gottawalkit15 June 2017
    You think you have seen horror films?
    If I may start 'off-topic' for a moment. I am male, mid sixties, and have watched, like many others, all the great (and not-so-great) horror films. After watching the ten episodes of 'The Handmaid's Tale' I can safely say that THIS is a real horror story. It makes the entire horror genre seem like cotton candy. After each episode I find myself shaking, often with tears in my eyes. I'm not going to talk about the story. I am going to tell you that the acting is beyond reproach. In almost every movie, every TV series, there are at least one or two characters that don't fit or are poorly portrayed. Not so here. I simply cannot find fault with the performances of the entire cast. Stellar! The sets, the direction, the camera work, the intensity all fit together seamlessly. This is a story of a good world...gone very wrong. This is a story about faith, twisted by evil intent, then thrust upon the common people. For me it is truly horrifying. I'm sorry I can't find better words to describe how this show affects me. I will say this: My daughter is currently attending university in the U.S. and I can tell you I fear for her safety every hour of every day. Not because this story is happening now...but because it is so close.
  • KMChafin15 May 2017
    This has historical roots and not just a dystopian future
    For those of us 4 million mothers who lost our children to forced adoption during the Baby Scoop Era this Tale has multiple similarities . While the main difference is that we were not forced into pregnancy, that's where the differences stop. I was taken to a strange state, not even allowed to purchase my own clothes, I cooked, cleaned and babysat for an authoritarian family. I was drugged at birth, tied hand and foot to the labor bed, then not allowed to see or hold my son. A priest took my son to be adopted by his friends who had better pedigree than I, even though I came from a good background. Even now states refuse to open records so mothers and adoptees can be re united.

So if you think this is a warning tale for the future, it has already occurred. Google Baby Scoop Era. The best kept secret on the wholesale use of women as breeders.
  • lewilewis199728 April 2017
    Fantastic Adaption Of A 'Must Read' Sci-Fi Classic, Good For Guys & Gals Alike
    If you haven't seen it yet or haven't read the book let's try to set the scene without spoilers;

Mankind is failing, most women are sterile because of industrial pollution (or Mother Nature just having enough of us parasites). Birth rates are plummeting. An ultra religious cult see it as their God given mission to 'save mankind'. They seize power by staging a fake terrorist attack against the US government, impose marshal law and set about rebuilding American society.('War On Terror' anyone?) They use The Old Testament as their blue print, but with some totally wack interpretations and distortions. Fertile women become the property of the state. Brain washed and farmed out to the new ruling elite as baby makers, slavery and subjugation is all they can hope for.

Margaret Atwood, Canadian hero, social commentator, environmentalist, activist, feminist, tech inventor, business woman and visionary always maintained that this isn't sci-fi, but 'speculative fiction', things that have a chance of happening in the near future. Written in the '80's it's probably more profound now; the Neo Con Christian's have become a powerful force in US politics. Could there be a Tea Party without the ultra religious Republicans? Probably not. Maybe it takes a next door neighbour from Canada to really see what's happening with the totally dysfunctional family next door? It has always been a source of debate about how a country so entrenched in the ideas of freedom and liberal philosophy can also be the home of such obvious bigotry and divide? Surely teaching Creationism instead of proved science in some State's schools is a warning sign? Maggie may well ridicule this dogmatic un-thinking, however it's far from funny when she points out the possible end game and consequences for society and women in particular.

The book, although heavy going at first, is one of those you can pick up every few years and just dive right in (thanks to Una for making me read it back in '87). I was worried that this TV adaption wouldn't do it justice. How wrong I was. It's slightly different, and relies on a lot of flashbacks like the original narration; however this narration helps to smooth over the cracks nicely. So it still sticks faithfully to the principles and main events of the story, albeit in a roundabout 'more up to date' way. The subtle creep up and takeover of government and power has been well handled so far. I am enthralled, totally impressed and on tenterhooks with Bruce Miller's adaption. The direction is also smart, (the hanging scene seen from the back of a van was powerful stuff). Every image is a perfect composition, nothing is wasted, it's real art in the hands of skilled camera operators.

The feminism is subtle, not the clumsy and overt 'all men are bad, all women are good little victims' like of some of the more hardcore feminist literature. Maggie recognises that some women can be bad too, and some men will die to do the right thing, as you will see. Her book made a point that this could only happen if most women were willing parties too, and that a 2,000 year old book of moral tales can hold a massive amount of power when deliberately abused in the wrong hands.

It's also highly commendable that the cast are just 'normal folk', no super skinnies, models, hunks or pretty boys are in sight. This makes it all the more believable, it could happen to you and me. The lead, 'Offred' (Elizabeth Moss) absolutely nails it. No spoilers, but she will impress you with her canny nouse and determination to survive despite many obstacles and traps. I haven't seen one bad actor in here so far, they've obviously got bags of talent and emotional range. The design and resurrection of 'The Shaker Movement', as in the book, harks back to an American and European age of persecution and religious fervor.

Adhering to Maggie's descriptions of the colour coded dress, the production designer's subtle placement of now highly valuable Shaker furniture here and there helps; the muted drab colours, even in the opulent wealthy homes, take us sub consciously back to the times of Salem, witch trials, mass hysteria and life devoid of 'modern vices' like free speech, self determination, free love and modern relationships.

I can't wait to see how this progress', although I know how it ends (can't tell you, but get ready for some shocks!). It's been made fresh for me. I hope you will all love it too.
  • Peter Carlsson7 August 2017
    Boring and over rated
    I really tried to like this series. Turned out it's really over rated and borderline boring. It takes 10 episodes to tell a story that could easily been told in 3. Everything has to be shown again, and again, and again. We know already that's everybody's suffering. We know that it's dreary, and dark, and that every woman that wears red is slaves. We don't need 10 hours to understand that. I have nothing against slow but when it's done just to be artsy and to fill out the programming time, it gets silly. How about some hope? How about some good plot twists, or at least some interesting things happening? Yes, I know you want to tell a story about religion, refugees, and what happens in a totalitarian state. But... doesn't everybody know that already. Don't you think the people who don't know would get it after... hmmm.... let's say Three hours? Do you really need to rub it in and press it down our throats? I don't get why this has got such a good Reviews. Is it just because it's PC?
  • annmarin12321 July 2017
    Made it to Episode 3 - Pure PC Drivel, as expected
    I remember reading Margaret Atwood's book many years ago, and at the time I felt it was original, great at world-building, and the dystopian view was truly chilling.

Now, with all the PC anti-Christian, anti-American, anti-White, anti- male fodder padding the story, it really is So Boring. So Clumsy. So Cumbersome. SO UNORIGINAL. So not worth your time. Did I mention its slow as hell? It's slow as hell. Nothing Happens.

This is the state of Entertainment/Media in 2017, so of course I expected the preaching, the interracial relationships (to make it oh-so- modern, yawn) and the ham-fisted man-hating... but at the end of ep. 2 when "Don't You Forget About Me" comes blaring on the soundtrack, for absolutely NO reason whatsoever, it crossed the line into: This Is Just Bad .... I Have To Say Buh-Bye Now. I just could not justify wasting another second of my precious lifetime on this merde.

Everyone's raving about the acting, but honestly, even though I liked E. Moss in Mad Men, here I just want to punch her in the nose! Hard! There is just something about that "glare" she's constantly putting out. She's "askin' for it"... I mean, the Lady of the House tells her point blank: "Don't look at me. Ever." and what does Offred do? Stare at her from corners, from doorways, from windows, from cracks in doorways....

I know I get it, I'm supposed to be rooting for Offred! She's lost her adorable African-American husband to the baddies! They took her equally adorable interracial daughter away! Her African American bestie (the excellent Samira Wiley, completely wasted in this.. SHE should have been cast as Offred!!) is dead! Its like the writers HAD to throw in those characters to show how white-as-the-driven-snow Offred is worth her weight in gold because she's NOT A RACIST.

Ugh I am SO DONE with this stuff. Its not subtle, its not realistic, and its soooooooo boooorrrinnngggg!! Enough already!

I have resorted to looking at the "Hated It" reviews FIRST, and if I see evidence that the show in question is infected with the "PC virus", I'm out. So few things worth watching. I just pray a renaissance comes, and soon.

Just a word about the "Amazing" 9.0 reviews, wringing their collective hands that this is "coming to America", I am in full agreement with another wise reviewer who said: It's ALREADY here" AND around the world, people! Hey morons, there ARE communities out there RIGHT NOW forcing women to cover up head-to-toe, denying them education, voting and driving rights, no birth control,no health care, genital mutilation, executing gays, using children as sexual objects, slavery, abuse, teaching hate in schools, yes all of it. ALL OF IT. Open your eyes.
  • spacechick-5462016 July 2017
    Missing empathy
    I've read the original novel of Margaret Atwood, which I have very much enjoyed, because it had a very important message namely a women's worth and goal in life should not be to procreate only. One message I remember particularly is the line of Offred (Jane)to her mother: "I am not your justification for existence." This line has stuck with me ever since.

I have watched the first 4 episodes of the series so far, and I don't enjoy it as much as the novel. The cinematography is beautiful, the acting is also superb, the only problem I have with is the lack of empathy from one women to another. Especially in Serena Joys case, who's behavior in the movie resembles rather that of a psychopath than an elegant, young, well educated and loving women. In the Novel Serena Joy was portrayed as an old, sad and bitter women, walking with sticks and showed signs of mental madness, and while she did not show any physical aggression towards Offred, the other Serena Joy in the movie does.

Now this makes me wonder, as she and Offred are almost about the same age, one would except to show some kind of understanding and empathy of the whole situation, or if not, just don't let her character use physical aggression towards her maid, because it makes the whole story rather ridiculous and overacting.
  • MajorMAlice1 May 2017
    Waiting for something GREAT to come on Television? Your wait is Over. THIS is IT.
    Strong is the word for this series, and little, weak people detest strong so be prepared for the fake reviews and thumbs down across the actual reviews for it. Fear is a powerful thing.

The Handmaid's Tale is perhaps one of the the best Television accomplishments of not only the year (hands down), but of the decade. It is a profound glimpse into a future that could very well happen were it not for people like most of you and me.

In three unforgettable episodes, so far, women such as Offred ("Of FRED", since she belongs to Fred), played by the inimitable Elisabeth Moss, are coerced through bodily harm to be both concubine and scape/punching goat for well to do families. These women are subjected to physical, emotional and mental abuse in the name of God, or if not so much in the name of God, under the twisted word of god, by man. This is not to say that it is a Christian-bashing show, but it depicts what could happen under a theocratic society.

What is most outstanding is that the acting is so amazing, that its quietest moments may be its most powerful. In fact, at times, the series can be emotionally overwhelming and draining — but isn't that a characteristic of a superb and masterful viewing experience?

Don't turn away from it.
  • Randomizer260010 August 2017
    Doesn't really make sense and does drag on.
    Much of the buzz about "The Handmaid's Tale" is that this is what could happen if America turned into a Christian theocracy. I'm not a religious person, but I don't see how anything in the show matches up with any Christian doctrine. Religious people I know don't have practices that match anything in "The Handmaid's Tale". Especially the part about keeping a mopey girl around the house so you can bang her to have kids. Yeah, I know, the women are infertile, but wouldn't a clinical method of getting the mope pregnant be more likely? This dystopian future is highly structured, with plenty of cultural taboos and enforcement infrastructure. How did this all get implemented? All the characters have a recent history, so this societal reboot happened in a span of five years? I can't imagine it in America. Gays have been a political force for 40 years and they just recently got the right to marry.

As others have mentioned, not much really happens. None of the characters have any charisma or are likable. The viewer is supposed to be sympathetic to the handmaids. They have no freedom and are essentially property. As the show drags on, I start noticing other people. I feel sorry for the guards who have to stand on the sidewalk holding a machine gun all day. That's it, just stand there. At least the handmaids can chat with each other and are in a comfortable house.

If you love this show, its because you make yourself love it. Or you are politically insecure and like to be frightened. There are many other shows you can watch that are much more engaging.
  • missyjoy2527 April 2017
    Yikes!!!
    This story is terrifying (especially if you are a female). Imagine what happens when the world goes completely crazy and some new completely sadistic world order emerges who claims their acts of incredible cruelty, murder, control , oppression and slavery are all in the name of some mystical God that no one has seen, spoken to or has any proof exists and yet uses the name of God to justify the most horrific and barbaric atrocities.

Without spoiling this is the story about this new world where women who are still able to bear children after the most of society is rendered infertile are made to be handmaidens/slaves to wealthy women who want to have babies but can't. Despite their unique baby making abilities they are still treated like the lowest life form on earth and the only reason they even get to live is because of this ability.

Elizabeth Moss and Alexis Bledel are amazing in their performances along with the rest of the cast. They broadcast the first 3 episodes on Hulu last night and of course I had to binge watch. It made me cry and made me incredibly sad to see how cruel a species humans can be.
  • Xophianic29 April 2017
    Preposterous
    People aren't really falling for the negative reviews, right? As a dude who has watched it with his girlfriend, I need to agree that the negative reviews are ridiculous. I can imagine the same person thumbing down the real reviews. Lol. Pathetic.

Mine is the only review you will need. j/k

Watch it. That's it. Don't let some repressed and self-deluded person make your choices for you - they love that. Watch the first episode and decide for yourself. Do I believe it can happen? Maybe. Anything can happen. But the thing is, why are nutjobs taking it so serious if they don't think it could happen? If it's just a show with no basis in reality, why get all up in arms about it?

I thought it was well done. It is entertaining and compelling. 8 out of 10 stars but my GF made me give it a 9. Heh. Joking aside, I'd recommend it.
  • okulo2 July 2017
    Two dimensional and long-winded
    I watched the film version of The Handmaid's Tale several years ago so the storyline was pretty familiar and the film I might give six or seven stars. However, in this adaptation, I had expected a little more than mere filler to justify the extended length. I don't think there was a major plot point which was not in the film. Both film and television versions seemed very two-dimensional, it has to be said, the dystopian world in which it was set seemed to operate without any explanation of what those in this world who do not occupy one of the roles we see actually do. It was a bit like looking at the cardboard set of a cheap sci-fi movie with banks of unconvincing fake spinning tape reels and purposeless flashing lights. The dystopia may have only existed in the lives of the households of the commanders and the lives of the handmaids for all the viewer knew; everything else was hidden from view. In the film, perhaps this was acceptable but in ten hours we learned more about the characters' lives in our near present than we did about the world into which they were forced.

I don't really know why I watched it. Perhaps I hoped that the dimension missing from the film was going to be furnished but it wasn't.
  • sumdanc23 July 2017
    Obvious Hollywood Left Agenda
    I got to episode 3 and just had to Bing it online to see if anyone else felt the same way as I did. Seeing all the bad reviews online, I can see I am not alone. If they want to get an agenda or viewpoint across, a little subtlety would help. The obvious manipulation is laughable. So laughable that I am not even offended. Just mad I wasted 3 hours. I should have given up after episode 1. It does not get better!! LOL and very BORING, tedious and drawn out.
  • Selena-Kyle28 April 2017
    A Very Timely Series That Is a Must See
    Like others on here, I too could regale you with moving words that would depict my experience and thoughts while watching this. I thought it best however to simply suggest that those who believe such a thing could not happen, or that we are nowhere near what is depicted in this show, scroll down and read the review by gene0915 from United States (unfortunately it has been deleted or removed now).

See for yourself how that level of rage, bitterness, hate, misogyny, impotence and homophobia is alive and well.

Enough said.

This is a powerful series with a tremendous message and a must-see for every person alive.
  • danbutler-4532223 June 2017
    Lazy
    After hearing great things about this show, I gave it a try. I watched the first three episodes to make sure I was giving it a fair chance. The production quality is decent, and the acting isn't awful. I find myself actually liking some of the characters. But that's about all this show has going for it.

As a viewer who knew very little about the show before I started watching, the writers waste no time alienating certain groups and (dare I say) religions within the first 20 minutes. (Christians). I have no doubt that folks with a certain worldview will find this as some sort of cautionary tale. But if you have any perspective on the world at all, you'll probably find this premise lazy and worn out. What modern television show doesn't feature the main villain as some version of an evil white Christian male figure? This show is very politically charged and not subtle about it. If you're a Christian, you will probably find this a bit insulting. Unless you're a Christian who enjoys watching self proclaimed "Christians" raping a woman while "Onward, Christian Soldiers" plays in the background... And that's only the first episode...

I'm not religious and I found myself very offended by some of the implications here. Especially when there are religious societies RIGHT NOW that operate in ways very similar to the society in this show... And they aren't Christian societies. A better title for this show might be: "Saudi Arabia"

So, if you enjoy television that bases an entire story line on the idea that white Christian men eventually take over the world and do what they've always really wanted to do deep down, which is control every aspect of a woman's life, then this is the show for you.
  • Hamilton23 June 2017
    Taking cheap shots
    I've no religion myself but it still strikes me how the cowardly sentiments of this show take cheap pot shots at Christianity. It is not this religion that subjugated women nor would attempt to overthrow a democratically elected government. The writer(s) of this dystopian portrayal are clearly too cowardly to point the finger at religions that do in fact have these avowed intentions. Other than that it is a very slow moving, rather boring semi sci-fi tale set in a dystopian near future. No attempt is made to create a wider perspective of this world or display any outrage from other countries. I gather this is based on a popular book of which I had never heard so I hope the book was much better.
  • Jeremy Dent30 June 2017
    Ponderous and tiresome
    The idea is creative and the theme relevant to our times but the execution and acting are slow-moving and most of the plot is either signaled or obvious. The story-teller, Offred, doesn't make it easy to empathize. There is a heaviness about the direction and production design that is key to the subject but it is not an easy watch.
  • larosat-3282117 July 2017
    Hahaha!!!!! Is this is a joke???
    Awful and boring beyond human comprehension. The pretentious eggplants fawning and salivating over this stultifying, boring dreck must be lonely beyond belief because they can't possibly have a spark of interesting conversation. I watched the tenth episode after the first to realize what I knew was going to happen. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!! The season climaxes with Moss dropping a rock in slo mo defiance. WHOOOO!!!! Everybody is virtually the same after 10 episodes with a minor blip. Speaking of Moss; I'm going to boycott anything she's in because it tends to suck. Mad Men. Top of the Lake and now this. She is duller than dull. No likable characters ( they barely register a pulse ). Making Yvonne plain looking. Men are barely more than robotic animals ( you can't climax just pumping in and out unless you're an animal. ). Lifeless direction and stagnant scenes. Scenes that start nowhere and end nowhere. Another meaningless interracial family. These are some of the horrors inflicted upon us. The only thing they get right is that all religion is evil ( especially Christianity, which is the worst ). People championing this; please seek help.
  • leftover3 June 2017
    Read the book
    I was mesmerized by the novel when I first read it. And again when I read it prior to seeing the movie. (A stinker.) And yet again when I heard it was being serialized for the small screen. It is an important work by a master wordsmith. Unfortunately, Atwood's considerable talents couldn't save the movie, and it appears they will be unable to save the serial. She should never have allowed Bruce Miller and MGMTV to extend the project past ten episodes. The impact is lost. The vision becomes obscured. An important piece of literature is exploited for the sake of Twitter memes and political talking points.

There is some value in this, I suppose, in that such exploitation might encourage some substantive dialogue on the topics of feminism, theism and authoritarianism. All of which will probably be more entertaining, and have greater impact, than the entirety of seasons 1 and 2 combined.

Four stars for effort from a talented and committed cast.

Read the book. Please.
  • SockEmperor11 May 2017
    Powerful
    In a nutshell, the story is real.

It is rooted in historical fact. It includes nothing that has not already happened to women across the world.

The acting is brilliant, and beyond that, the cast seems determined and devoted to tell this very powerful story for not only women, but men. When people's rights are trod on, it affects everyone.

Let's hope that if it ever comes to something like this, more people will be strong, rather than weak. Unfortunately, based on just today's society and who holds the office of POTUS, that may not be the case.
  • prosper114 June 2017
    a mess
    great production values; costumes, sets and action sequences, but terrible writing and the direction was abysmal -----has there been a show on TV that is this slow? Did the broadcaster want 10 episodes and they only had scripts for five and the production team said no problem and them made every scene 3 times longer than necessary?

I felt and then confirmed the directors were more cameramen than story tellers; i.e. in love with this long long shot that is pretty but doesn't move the tale along

overly flashbacked, filled with narration; all back enough but the worst was slamming on the brakes to take us into "Lucas on the run story." that's when i realized there were too too many producers on the project and none had the character or personality or strength to rein this in.

As it looked very expensive---and that cast isn't cheap either yet they've ended up with a dog's breakfast of a series instead of a quality project.

I also want to mention how I, and so many others that make up the "audience" are so fed up with that "natural" light movement from Denmark that started 10-15 years ago. Natural light does not mean you can't see anything; there is a lot of room between a sitcom and a drama in terms of lighting. Only north America is still hooked on this "convention," and it screams follower and hack, rather than cutting edge.
  • Redoy khan1 October 2017
    Too much focus on giving a political message and less on story
    I don't give a damn about how politically relevant this show is, how nicely it portrays the future stupid,pious Christians are leading us to, the social commentary it has. One thing every writer must understand, you are writing a story, I don't mind if you push your ideology here and there, but it must have a story worth watching.

And all I got was a story I could barely keep my eyes open to finish, a dystopian world whose history doesn't make any sense, neither did it's present. It felt like writer first decided the messages she wants to send, like about religion, gay-rights, personal freedom etc, you know, the whole liberal package. And then hastily built a world to fit the narrative.

I know I must be a stupid, product of "evolution gone wrong" to not like this show, as intelligent writers here before me has pointed out. Anyway, in the midst of overwhelming positive reviews, there had to be a review for all those stupid folks out there.
  • j7lr19 June 2017
    Good acting. Boring story. Very similar to others we have seen before
    Well. The acting is great. The director did a great job. We see technical elements at their best...

Unfortunately, the script is boring. Very similar to others we have seen before. There's nothing interesting about it. I wasted one hour when I could have been watching something more intriguing, original or at least with a few twists, something out of the ordinary, but no, just pure, lame events any young boy could come up with.

Sorry for the ones who think this is "the best TV show ever". I'm not a hater. Just giving my humble opinion. If you don't agree, that's fine by me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Plain and simple, this show's ugly.

I don't understand why they give this show a 8.7 points to make me watch. I saw this rating and said to myself "I'm going to watch something great". What a disappointment. Worst show I have seen lately.
  • SansaSnark31 May 2017
    Some, as in this series, would want to make up your mind for you ...
    To begin, the book it is based on was written in the 80's, before the IVF - however, the reason they use coitus is because of the puritanical system of beliefs they have established in the land and which they base EVERYTHING on. As in the bible which they quote Genesis 16:1 "Now Sarai, Abram's wife had borne him no children, and she had an Egyptian maid whose name was Hagar. Sarai said to Abram, "Now behold, the LORD has prevented me from bearing children. Please go in to my maid; perhaps I will obtain children through her." Seriously, for people speaking of "IQ's", this shouldn't be hard to grasp.

Secondly, the more you watch, you see how things transpired to get them to the point they are in Gilead. It is presented through a series of flashbacks, and yes, there are books, and cell phones, and the Internet, and cars and trains and automobiles - imagine that! It even shows who they are trading with, and what they are trading. If people had watched even a bit of it as they said they did before leaving reviews simply to give it a low rating, they would know this.

Beyond all this, the book and series are rooted in HISTORICAL FACT and in point of fact, things that happen in our world today. 'BUT NO! That can't be!' some say. Yes, hate to burst your bubble, but it is all true.

Even with all this obvious discrediting and outright attempts at audience manipulation by certain reviewers, I am happy to see that The Handmaid's Tale holds a high rating, as well it should.

It is an astounding work of television, with a distinct visual bite. Gilead's world is harsh yet the most intelligent and bravest of us cannot look away, nor do we lie to ourselves or others in the hopes that they will look away.

Simply, in my estimation, it is one of the best shows ever made.

Watch for yourself and see if you agree.