Review

• You know those really stupid ideas you get sometimes when you wake up in the middle of the night? Well, you can imagine the scene: the man who would later have the idea for Destiny Turns on the Radio is asleep in his bed. He wakes up in a cold sweat one night; "A magic swimming pool!", he exclaims, "..and a cool guy can come out, and this guy be the illusive one, who holds it all together", he's really sweating now, "and we'll get Quentin Tarantino to play him!". After seeing the movie, it's safe to say that it was an extremely stupid idea.

As mentioned, Quentin Tarantino plays a man that comes out a swimming pool. Yes, you heard me right; in an absolutely ridiculous sequence, Tarantino actually rises from an electricity-ridden swimming pool. The only thing more ridiculous than that sequence in this movie is Quentin Tarantino's actual performance. Tarantino has proved, time and time again, that acting isn't his forte, but he puts it beyond a shadow of a doubt here. He tries to look cool with his swagger and slow moving voice, but he actually just looks pathetic. One good thing is that he doesn't get a lot of screen time; but the mere fact that he's in it loses the movie some of it's credibility, and this is a movie that doesn't exactly have credibility to burn. It's a shame that this movie is so terrible really, as it does have quite a good cast. Dylan McDermott, one of stars of my guiltiest pleasure, 1999's rom-com; Three to Tango takes the lead role, with Nancy Travis (So I Married an Axe Murderer) as his girlfriend, James LeGros as his friend and David Cross, who I actually like a lot, is in the movie as an agent of some sort.

The stupid plot isn't helped at all by a lacklustre script. Modern crime movies have become known for snappy dialogue and offbeat characters, and this movie has both; albeit both badly done. The dialogue has some truly ridiculous lines and most of the time they are delivered badly, too. This is most probably due to the fact that most of the cast were probably cursing their agents while making this film, and have probably spent the last ten years trying to forget that Destiny ever turned on the radio. As you, the viewer, will no doubt do; but it certainly won't take ten years. My advice? Watch something else.