• Val Kilmer stars as Tom, a trumpet player, or is that Danny, a low life tweaker? I don't know, you decide. This film is a tense crime drama or was that a journey through the human mind with comedic overtones like Fight Club, or could it have been a drug analogy like Trainspotting? I don't know, you decide. The theme of the film involves one mans quest for vengence or was it one mans quest to renew himself, maybe it was one mans quest to find his identity? I don't know, you decide. Get the picture yet? Val Kilmer is one man with two identites. As Tom he is out to hunt down the men who killed his wife. As Danny he is helping a pair of cops make their drug busts to keep him out of jail. Both men are walking down the same path but they come to a fork in the road. Path one, forget everything and take the easy way out. Path two, the long hard road to success filled with corruption, greed, scandal and drugs galore. At the end of either path, Poo Bear, a fat, psychotic, rec-neck drug dealer with no nose. The story is very complex and director D.J, Caruso does a fabulous job od weaving together the life of Tom and the life od Danny and brings them together very nicely in the end. I also like how he portrays Danny as a guy who isn't really in tune with reality. Curaso's camera movement make it seem like the world is going on around him, but Danny doesn't seem to be living in it. Val Kilmer is finally given a role that he can shine in and Vincent D'Onofrio is either an idiot or a genious for taking one the role of Poo-Bear, one of the most original villians I have seen in years. The film is brilliant in how complex in which the story is told but that is also the films biggest downfall. It has so many genres rolled into one that it is often tedious until about half way through when the film finally finds itself and steadies out. It's original, it's complex, it's compelling, it suspenseful, it's funny and it's honest, it's everything you could ask for but is it worth checking out? I don't know, I haven't decided yet, but I like it's odds.