Review

Commenting on a single episode is nigh on impossible because there were a huge number of fantastic ones spanning all 7 seasons. There are of course one's that stand out more than others for either being moving or brilliantly written and directed. The most moving episodes in my opinion are the season 5 episodes "The Body" and "The Gift". In "The Body" we see the death of Buffy and Dawn's mother Joyce after a battle against brain cancer. To actually have a character die of natural causes rather than by monster or spell is a dramatic twist because it shows that even Buffy can't save everyone. Interestingly there is no music in the episode which increases how utterly sad the situation is. When Buffy tells dawn what has happened all we hear is Dawn's anguished crying rather than Buffy actually telling her what has happened. "The Body" is a superb episode which is written and Directed by Joss Whedon. Whedon also wrote and directed "The Gift", the final episode of season 5. In this, the entire 5th season plot involving Dawn comes to a head and the final scene between Dawn and Buffy nearly had me in tears especially with the music composed by Christophe Beck. The way in which we only hear what Buffy actually says to Dawn after she has leaped into the vortex is a wonderful bit of writing.

Other episodes also stick in my mind such as "Hush" (season 4) where a vast majority of the episode involves none of the characters being able to talk. Again this is written and directed by Joss Whedon. The final 4 episodes of season 6 (Seeing Red, Villains, Two to Go & Grave) focus on the aftermath of Tara's death and Willow's revenge against the people responsible. Seeing Willow cope with the death of Tara by turning to dark magic and being consumed by rage was very emotional.

Some episodes that deserve an honourable mention because they are some of the most best written or most moving are "Once More With Feeling" , "Passion", "The Wish", "Tabula Rasa", "Conversations with Dead People" and of course the final episode "Chosen"

It would take forever to go through all my favourite episodes so I will end it here by just saying that Buffy The Vampire Slayer was a fantastic series which I doubt very much will be equalled by anything else.