Review

• The year is 1999 and Phillip J Fry is delivering pizza to a crank call. After discovering this he leans back and celebrates the Millennium with a small party of his own and when the clock strikes down he falls back into a cryogenic freezing tube and emerges into a changed world 1000 years later. A world inhabited by one eyed aliens and alcoholic robots with a passion for sleaze, and thus begins his adventures in the year 3000. The series has it all, it is far more cleverly written than later seasons of The Simpsons and has far more likable characters to boot. I'm sure like most people my favourite character is Bender, he is just so sleazy and crass and has the best lines in the series. But I'm not knocking any of the other characters, they are all funny in their own way. Zoidberg, Amy, Leela, Fry, Hermes and Prof Farnsworth are all delightful along with the many other characters that inhabited this crazy world. There really were some genius moments throughout the series and to pick on one wouldn't do the other episodes any justice. Searcing through the quotes section throws up so many classic moments and brilliant one-liners such as "Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man". What makes this better than The Simpsons is it ended on a high and when the time was right and it ended just the right way. Four series was enough and had anymore been commissioned it would have been in danger of going the way of The Simpsons and becoming stale and a parody of itself.

But thankfully it was fresh and funny from start to finish and was always a joy to watch even if it was short-lived.