As far as sequels go, Ring Two is your standard re-hasher. Same characters, literally, different day. Perhaps its my age, but the relationship between Aidan and Rachel is unsettling. He's the parent, she's the needy, irresponsible child.

And Samarra? I have never heard a really compelling explanation as to why, or even how, she's evil. Here we've got a kid who was brutally murdered by her unstable, adoptive mother. I think it's safe to assume that, unless she went through a bout of intensive therapy in the afterlife and STILL chose to kill people with her tape, her emotional development remained consistent with that of a 9-year-old girl's. She was the scape goat on the island, her nutso mother and father rejected her (and her birth-mother wasn't any great shakes either...) So, really, her vengeance on the innocent who watch the tape is entirely understandable. I mean, come on... she was innocent, too.

Samarra's 'evil' before she died was anecdotal at best, and the witnesses to it (Jane Alexander from the first film, her nutty dad, etc.) are unreliable. They're inbred Island townies, for cripes sake. Her 'evil' after her death is understandable. So in the sequel, she's just a creepy little ghost girl looking for a Mommy. I actually found it rather touching, in a way.

To paraphrase SNL's Harvey Fierstien, "I just wanna be loved... is that so wrong?" In the end of Ring Two, I was rooting for poor Samarra, and cringing at the quasi-incestuous relationship between Mother and son. Still, save your money and go bowling. Shine your shoes, watch a documentary on snow tires, ANYTHING but waste the precious hour and a half this film spans...

Heck, shooting rats at the town dump is better...