• In 1923, the Korean teenager Kim Shun-Pei (Takeshi Kitano) moves from Cheju Island, in South Korea, to Osaka, in Japan. Along the years, he becomes a cruel, greedy and violent man and builds a factory of kamaboko, processed seafood products, in his poor Korean-Japanese community exploring his employees. He makes fortune, abuses and destroys the lives of his wife and family, having many mistresses and children and showing no respect to anybody. Later he closes the factory, lending the money with high interests and becoming a loan shark. His hatred behavior remains until his last breath, alone in North Korea.

"Chi to Hone" is an extremely realistic, sad and cruel movie about the life of one of the most hideous characters I have ever see. The impressive story has a fantastic direction, awesome interpretations and Takeshi Kitano is simply stunning. The scenes of rape, fight and brutality are amazingly well choreographed and real. The cinematography and art direction present a reconstitution along decades of Osaka, supported by one of the most beautiful soundtracks of the cinema. I regret only my lack of knowledge of Japanese and Korean histories for a full understanding of some historical moments showed along the years. This masterpiece is absolutely underrated in IMDb. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Consumido Pelo Ódio" ("Consumed by Hate")