• Forrest Gump, from a humble afflicted childhood, and with a low IQ, goes on to play a major part in the history of the second part of the 20th century.

Forrest Gump is one of those movies that comes along every once in a while to light a fuse under the movie worlds bottom! The sort of film that has evident flaws yet packs in so much charm, wit, intelligence and sentiment to make it really difficult to dislike with any sort of conviction. Even those with an aversion to the talent of Tom Hanks would surely be kidding themselves if they honestly fail to see that Hanks, as Gump, gives anything less than an extraordinary performance.

What made Forrest Gump such a well loved picture? Garnering 5 golden baldies at the Academy Awards {three of them the main ones} and earning a staggering $677,387,716 worldwide after being made for the now relatively paltry sum of $55 million? Personally I think it has a little of everything that a film watcher wants in a picture, it sure does have things many dislike {the romantic arc, the overdose of sugary sentiment}, but as Forrest lurches from each apparently none-plussed situation to another, the air of the underdog coming thru triumphant sticks in the craw, but, in a most appetising way. We are in the company of a perfectly honest, simple and innocent man, he may not know it, but Forrest Gump has become a champion of the people, both in the film and to us the movie loving public.

If by some miracle you still haven't seen Forrest Gump, then I urge you to do so, it may not resonate with you as much as it did/does the majority {argue with the box office I say}, but for towering performances by Tom Hanks and Gary Sinise, and for being a clever movie with its finger on the pulse of Hollywood, Forrest Gump has few peers. 9/10