• In Phoenix, the young cowboy Caleb Colton (Adrian Pasdar) meets the beautiful Mae (Jenny Wright) late night in town and she asks for a ride to her trailer. It is near dawn and Caleb brings Mae that is in a hurry; he asks for a kiss and she bites him on the neck. Caleb's truck does not start and he walks home. However, when the sunlight hits him close to his farm, he starts to burn. His father Loy Colton (Tim Thomerson) and his sister Sarah (Marcie Leeds) witness a van that appears out of the blue and kidnaps Caleb. He is introduced to Mae's family: the leader Jesse Hooker (Lance Henriksen), his mate Diamondback (Jenette Goldstein), the cruel Severen (Bill Paxton) and the boy Homer (Joshua Miller). In common, all of them are predator creatures of night that need blood to survive. However, Caleb refuses to kill and Mae gives her own blood to him to keep him alive. Meanwhile Loy and Sarah are looking for Caleb; when they meet each other in a motel, Caleb has to choose between his beloved family and his love for Mae.

"Near Dark" is an earlier work of the Oscar winner Kathryn Bigelow, an original and gore road-movie and one of my favorite cult-movies. Mae and her family are never called "vampires" and they are very brutal and sadistic with their countless victims. Caleb is a family young man that is in love with Mae and is forced to live with these evil creatures. The plot blends romance, crime, violence, thriller and horror and the result is a great film. There is also dark humor in the lines and my favorite is when Severen says that he hates when his victims are not shaved. The soundtrack with the music by Tangerine Dream is another plus. I do not precisely know how many times I have watched this film but the previous time was on 30 December 2002. Unfortunately it has been only released on VHS in Brazil by Video Plus distributor and the image does not have good quality. Indeed, distribution was maybe the greatest problem of this independent movie. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "Near Dark - Quando Chega a Escuridão" ("Near Dark - When the Darkness Comes")

Note: Today (16 Oct 2010) I have seen "Near Dark" again, now on Blu-Ray that I have just bought. In the Extras, there is a 2002 documentary with the director, producer, lead cast and crew. Unfortunately Jenny Wright has not been located to participate in this nostalgic footage mandatory for any fan.

Note: On 16 October 2010, I saw this film again.

Note: On 05 October 2013, I saw this movie again.

Note: On 17 October 2020, I saw this film again.