• So after watching this movie, I wanted to review it straight away but I couldn't really find out exactly how I felt about it. In one way, it's one of the best horrors I've seen in ages and in another way, it's just the same as the other horrors released. The story is okay and had the Halloween feel to it, which I liked but then it started to go a little out of hand. The acting is average, most of the performances given were quite bad but there were one or two actors who were okay…ish. The direction is done well and the cinematography is great as well. The special effects and the scenes were executed very well but I must warn that this isn't for the faint-hearted as this probably has more gore in the first ten minutes than Saw does.

I liked how the movie reverted back to the eighties horror-slasher movie style just like the eighties version of Halloween and mixed it with the latest horror style by adding the gore. I don't usually like gore in movies that's used only to scare the audience with no jumpy bits or nothing. The movie has one or two scenes which were a little creepy but there were a couple of scenes that were executed poorly and made the movie more of a cliché such as doors slamming off hinges and getting the Ouija board to contact Mary from beyond the grave. The story was pretty much average and started promising but as the movie went on, it started to get more and more ridiculous, however this doesn't surprisingly spoil the movie much as you kind of expected it to get a little silly in a way. The introduction part about Mary Hatchet was brilliantly done in my opinion and after the introduction finished, that was when the story started to go downhill. The teenagers planning a party on 'Blood Night' was all-good but it was when the killings started, that was when the story started to plummet very fast. The acting was below average and some were convincing as their characters but there weren't really anyone that stood out in the movie. The characters weren't so bad but they're your stereotypical teenage characters who think of nothing but sex, parties and booze and it doesn't go any deeper than that. There wasn't really any depth to their characters and you didn't exactly care who lived or died as most of the characters were pretty much the same. The cinematography was great and the gory kill scenes were done very well but other than that, there isn't really much I can say.

This is quite an odd movie because, although I've not really been praising the movie, it has something likable about it, which you can't really put your finger on. Whether it be your typical eighties cheesy horror flick modernised or the gore or the 'scary' scenes, there is something there that would make a horror fan love this movie. I think if you're a fan of the Halloween series or a fan of classic eighties horrors then you will like this.

Read more reviews on: www.dudedazzmoviereviews.wordpress.com