• I had heard a lot of this Japanese flick and finally I watched it after it's official release. Immediately it became clear that this isn't a flick for everybody. This is a pure art flick and not a real horror like it has been mentioned before.

If you are looking for a real Japanese splatter then this is a wrong choice although it has it's ghost house. It do has a severed head and fingers being cut of and stuff like that but it is low on the horror side. Still, I liked it because it is full of special effects and for 1977 it was a real masterpiece. In most of all scene's there is some kind of cinematic manipulation, from the shifting color filters, to deranged collage and weird intercuts via editing of things taking place, some animations did remind me of Monthy Pyton, mattes and a lot of blue key, props flying around and cats that do weird things. There's so many to see and I was even surprised of the nudity added in Hausu. The Japanese flicks are know that when private parts are shown that they blur the picture but here we have a naked woman swinging in a bloody pool and there's no blurring added.

The severed head isn't scary, it even does funny things. you really need to watch closely to see all things. And just listen to the score. Sometimes it's cheesy then it's weird. You got the picture. Hausu stands on it's own. I haven't seen anything like this before, no go enter The House...

Gore 1/5 Nudity 1/5 Effects 5/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 1/5