When you take this show on its own, without background knowledge of both the book and the movie, then it's an alright show. However, if you're a lover of the original text, you might want to skip this version.

Unlike the original text, this version sets the story in San Francisco. Basically they have Americanized the story. That is not necessarily a problem. But when little inaccuracies pile up, things get annoying. I had to shout a few times, so annoyed at what I was seeing. Marcus singing 'What makes you Beautiful' I mean come on, it what universe would that happen. They have missed the mark with the original story. None of the characters formed enough to make an impression. Will lost any substance he had, Marcus was nothing like the lovable character seen in the book and movie. Fiona's treatment was probably the worst, reduced to a hippie dippy stereotype. The characters lost all what interesting about them, what people loved about them.

I have to admit I have only watched the first episode. What a saw was not stellar. It moved so quick, racing through plot points without any development. The relationship between Will and Marcus had little growth, suddenly they were best buds. Fiona 'breaksdown' her serious case of depression passed over in a few sentences. What this episode needed was time, it seemed to be in a rush. Hopefully some developments occur but this episode seemed to be rushing to the end, and not in a good way.

All in all, this show is just another run-of-the-mill sitcoms, nothing special. It does not hold true to the fantastic book and movie in which it shares a name. I cannot recommend this show, but do checkout the original texts.