• "Everybody Wants Some!!" (2016 release; 116 min.) brings the story of a group of baseball players on a Texas college team. As the movie opens, The Knack's "My Sherona" is blasting away in a guy's car. That turns out to be Jake, an incoming Freshman and pitcher. The big screen reminds us that it is "August 28, 1980, Classes start in 3 days". Jake is getting to know the rest of the Baseball House that he is sharing with seven other guys. When they decide to take a drive and try to pick up girls, one mystery girl informs them she likes the quiet guy in the back (pointing to Jake). At this point we're not even 15 min. into the movie but to tell you more would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: first, this is the latest movie from Texas writer-director Richard Linklater, who most recently brought us the brilliant "Boyhood", and much earlier "Dazed and Confused" (set in high school in 1976). It is an easy case to make that "Everybody Wants Some!!" is a spiritual sequel to that movie. The movie's trailer gave the impression that this is an all-out funny, possibly rowdy college-age coming-of-age, and there certainly is plenty of that. But there is so much more to this movie. I love how Linklater lets the scenes develop with uninterrupted shots that at times go on for minutes. Pay careful attention to what life was like in 1980 (no smart phones, no craft beer, etc.). Linklater was 20 at that time (as was I), and he captures it perfectly. As was the case in "Dazed and Confused", this movie features an ensemble cast that surely contains future stars. I'm pretty sure those will include Brian Jenner (playing the Jake character, and previously best known for his recurring role on the TV show Glee) as well as Zoey Deutsch, in the role of Beverly, the mystery girl I referred to. Deutsch is the daughter of Lea Thompson and the physical resemblance is uncanny (and very easy on the eyes). Last but certainly not least, the film features dozens and dozens of killer tunes from that era, from "My Sherona" in the beginning to the Cars' "Let the Good Times Roll" over the end credits. The scenes in the Sound Machine disco tent are among the many highlights of the movie. Bottom line: I felt like this movie was literally made FOR ME, as I was those guys (setting aside the baseball aspects).

The movie opened this weekend on a couple of screens in Greater Cincinnati, and having seen the trailer, I couldn't wait to see it. The Friday early evening screening where I saw this at turned out t be a private screening, as in: I literally was the only person in the theater. Say what?? I couldn't believe it. I will go see any movie by Richard Linklater simply on the strength of his name and the blind faith in his talent. If you are in the mood for a nostalgic yet very realistic look back at what life was like in late August of 1980, you cannot go wrong with this movie. "Everybody Wants Some!!" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!