As a regular movie goer I was naturally looking forward to seeing what all the hype was about in regards to "Dunkirk". Well I was sorely disappointed, and came away frustrated at what the director could have done with such a large budget, instead of the tedious film he gave us.

Within the first 10 minutes we find ourselves on the beach, together with lines and lines of soldiers facing the water, waiting for the boats to collect them. Never mind the fact, that the boats had not even left England yet!

Needless to say, the soldiers were completely unprotected in the open, and made for great target practice for the German planes above them.

I found the lack of character building to be an enormous let down. Whilst there were three mini plots, the soldiers being evacuated, the trio of Spitfires, and the one small boat with the man and his son, there was little or no interaction between the actors in these mini plots.

I call them actors as we were never able to get to know them by name as such, and hence there were no characters in this movie per se. Kenneth Branagh spent the entire moving walking up and down the wharf trying to get the soldiers into whatever boats appeared.

The supposed armada that was dispatched from the other side of the channel, never looked more than a bunch of mates out for an afternoon cruise.

There were many scenes with little or no dialogue, which depicted what it was really like for mainly those on the beach, or in an unused trawler a group of them came across.

Whilst these may have been realistic, we had no idea who the characters involved were, as we had no opportunity to engage with them throughout the film.

There were many times when we switched from a night time scene to daytime one, and then back to night time, when supposedly all the action was taking place at the the same time.

In my humble opinion, Dunkirk could have, and should have been an epic movie, but I'm afraid to say that I found it boring, tedious, and without character.

I am well aware that I am in the minority with this opinion, but it really could have been so much better.

Cheers,