"Freakstars 3000" is a German comedy film from 2004, so this one will soon have its 15th anniversary and here we have another work by writer and director Christoph Schlingensief. To see him so full of energy and life in here makes me pretty sad knowing that he died about 5 years later. But he left us a lot and this pretty short film we have here (75 minutes) is one of my favorite projects from Schlingensief. Another sad aspect is that one actor in here died not much later and it's the one whose health struggles also play a role in the film itself. This one we got here is basically a mockumentary as you see already from the title. But it parodies a lot more than just the wave of casting shows. I really liked the way they handled the subject here. Every candidate gets praise and it is all in harmony and kind spirit. And even the ones who don't qualify for the next round get to hear some praise and are not escorted out through a guy slamming a red buzzer. Merkel as chancellor of Germany was still very new back in 2004 and she is also parodied, just like Peter Struck who is also dead already now.

The one thing that is special about these 75 minutes is that it is all about disabled people. And it teaches an important lesson. It's not okay if you ignore them and say to yourself hey at least I did not insult them. They are worth spending time with and if you do, then the outcome can be a genuinely entertaining little movie like this one here. It has fun, it has heart and it also has relevance, even now that much later as yeah casting shows are still there and Merkel just got elected a 4th time. The disabled are really the heart and soul of it all and you can see how much fun they were having during the shooting. I remember seeing this one back then when it came out and I like it as much today as I did back then. Schlingensief oozes creativity and wit in here. I certainly recommend checking it out.