• Discovered the original "Happy Death Day" accidentally in theaters during its initial run when looking for something to see and half-heartedly choosing it, only to be wowed and thoroughly entertained. My best friend and I both agreed it was one of those under-the-radar gems you are lucky to find only once in a great while. While the entire cast's game performances added up to an entertaining whole, lead actress Jessica Rothe's all-in performance was the revelation. The script had her juggling horror, comedy (not to mention slapstick physical comedy), drama, and rom-com genres, sometimes switching between them in a moment's time, and she made it seem effortless. This was a character you came to truly care about and root for. When we saw the trailer for this sequel we were hopeful, but, frankly, the trailer was so frenetic we thought they might've gone too far, risking losing the balance of the original. Happily, that's not the case. While "Happy Death Day 2U" does go for broke in continuing to juggle so many genres you think it can't possibly hold together till the end, it does, and the character Rothe created only grows even more sympathetic and appealing. We found ourselves rooting for her even more, and, once again, came away dazzled and thoroughly entertained--and hoping for another sequel to come!