Review

• If this was the potential of DCEU, why on earth movies like Justice League, BvS and Suicide Squad even exist? The more I watch films like this, the more I think Snyder was the biggest mistake of DCEU.

Good : Zachary Levi is awesome as the adult version of Billy Batson. He can perfectly play an adult who is actually a teenager. His performance is incredible. He has an amazing chemistry with all the other characters which made the experience really good. The movie is an ultimate fun ride from the top to bottom. There's not a single part which felt boring or uninteresting. The arc given to Billy was quite good and we start to like the characters. The comedic parts deliver at its finest. Director Sandberg has shown versatility in a very good way. I have always thought of him as a very good director. His horror films like Lights Out and Annabelle Creation are directed quite well, the major flaws are in the script, if any. Here, there are no such problems with the script, and he understands very well how a certain part of the story is to be directed. Some parts do have a nice horror movie vibe to it, but it is not tonally inconsistent. It knows what it tries to be, and doesn't take itself too seriously. Even at the times it does, it is for a comedic purpose. It never tries to be an epic film knowing that it's not, unlike BvS. It is sure to put a smile on your face throughout and make you laugh a lot. The final moments are crowd pleasing moments done right.

Mixed : It's not a big problem, but I expected more comedy out of this. What I got was great, but I wanted a lot more of funny stuff. The kid playing teen Billy Batson isn't a bad actor. But some of the times, it felt like him and Levi were a little different with each other. It could've been a little better.

Bad : The villain was a clichéd villain. He wasn't interesting as a character like Thanos, Ledger's Joker or Bane. Mark Strong does a good job, but this is a poorly written villain.

Conclusion : An entertaining superhero film which knows what it is, and is quite campy in a good way. It is not wildly original concept of a film. It has some popular tropes of the genre and has a familiar template for an origin story. But it will definitely keep you entertained till the end, and you will end up liking most of the characters. The best thing is, even if you have never seen a DCEU movie, it won't make a difference. It has little to no reference to the previous DCEU films and is its own thing for the most part. Recommended even to those who are not the fan of the genre.

Rating.