• Kevin Spacey reminded me a little of Michael Caine from "Educating Rita" (1983) by the way he toughly encourages his student in an off the wall, personable, fashion as Whit Burnett. Nicholas Hoult is strong and convincing as the aspiring J.D. Salinger and the pairing delver us an engaging, at times poignant, at times painfully slow interpretation of the establishing years of the "Catcher in the Rye" author. As biopics go, it is well directed, well (enough) written and the attention to the detail from the costume and props departments gives it a certain sheen. Danny Strong manages to create a characterisation of this reclusive individual - his torrid experiences during WWII, his rather dysfunctional relationships both on a personal and social basis, and of his search for some sort of satisfaction in the face of his, ultimately, unwanted fame well. I can't swear as to the authenticity of Kenneth Slawenski's book, but this dramatisation offers a plausible seeming assessment of Salinger's formative years.