My strongest impression is that too much was crammed together in the last 15 minutes, give or take. The result was that things seemed abrupt and worse, they didn't make sense. I've often complained in movies of this genre that there is a tendency for a character to do a 180 too quickly on feelings, attitudes, or personality. Well in this movie Miriam did a 180 worse than any I can remember. There was an explanation for it, but it didn't account for how quickly and completely the 180 took place. Then on top of that, Isaac does it too and that explanation may have been romantic, but it was also weak. Well at least the climax of the movie wasn't entirely predictable.

Another reviewer commented that they expected a specific character to make a life change and that wouldn't have worked. I was thinking the exact same thing as I thought it was about to happen.

Jack didn't seem real. Evelyn was over the top. I can't decide what I thought of chemistry between Galadriel Stineman and Kevin Joy, probably because the worlds they were trying to bring together were too far apart.

When I looked deeply into the underlying messages in the movie, I came away thinking that it was a devastating condemnation of Amish culture and religion. Jesus said the second greatest commandment was "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." He told his disciples that they must forgive others in order to be forgiven. And he combines the idea of extraordinary forgiveness with seeking after the lost in the story known as the Parable of the Prodigal Son. This movie shows the Amish as the exact opposite of all these things. And then in one of the climactic speeches of the movie, Miriam likens Kathy and Isaac to the loving neighbors and evangelists to the lost as a contrast to, and urging a rejection of the Amish ways. I won't address how accurate the movie is in representing negative aspects of the Amish. I'm not an expert, but I doubt things are as one sided as things looked from Kathy's perspective as shown in the movie.