• Though beautifully photographed and evocative of the 1930s and 1940s, I had a tough time making it through "Mank," the story of Herman J. Mankiewicz during his time writing the screenplay for Citizen Kane. That is a whole other movie and a huge controversy, so I won't go into it.

Boring, self-conscious, inaccurate, there are a few acting kudos - Gary Oldman as Mankiewicz is remarkable. I love Lily Collins, and she doesn't disappoint here as Mank's secretary. Tom Burke makes a marvelous Welles.

There is other good acting to be had in Mank, but there is also very self-conscious, let's pretend we're in the 1930s and '40s dialogue and acting. It all seemed very put on. That was mostly from minor characters.

I loved the character of Marion Davies - her character is sympathetic - but I could have done without Amanda Seyfried's bad acting. Charles Dance was a fabulous Hearst.

All in all, a big bore. However, if it inspires you to read more about Mankiewicz, the fight over the Citizen Kane screenplay, and old Hollywood, I recommend it. The governor's race between Merriman and Upton Sinclair is interesting, too - though it was just thrown into this story, possibly becaused the political discussions seemed timely.