User Reviews (3)

• As with many domestic dramas of the time, the mores and actions of the characters are very dated today. I found it incredulous that Lila Lee considered divorcing Conrad Nagel on a very minor point. He gets a cablegram that his son at a school in Switzerland is deathly ill, but if he goes there he might save him. He decides to go, which starts the trouble. She's hurt, not because she is expecting a child any day now, but because they didn't come to that decision together. She explains that if he had talked it over with her, she would have urged him to go. It's hard to conceive that with his son's life possibly in the balance, she would even think twice about his decision to go, especially since he explained that women have babies now with little risk, and she agreed with him. (Times being what they were, he had to go by ship and would be away a month or so.) So the movie had two strikes against it for me on this point alone.

The acting wasn't too bad. Romantic star Conrad Nagel gave his usual reserved performance. Lovely Lila Lee was believable as the second wife afraid that Nagel's memory of his first wife might hurt their marriage. Hugh Huntley had the best lines and gave the best performance as the heavy, more or less, trying to split the couple up. And I enjoyed Mary Carr as the long-time housekeeper who is not afraid to speak her mind. But the film is a two-set movie and very stage-bound - there's not one exterior shot. Note also that for a woman about to give birth, Lila Lee was as thin as a rail.
  • Joker198113 March 2021
    A man who is a widower wants to remarry a woman who is jealous of his deceased wife.

A classic case of tensions arising when a step parent is introduced, and doesn't warm up to the child. Had a strong opinion about Florence who plays a woman who wants the husband all to herself, but tries to play innocent like she's not trying to put distance between her and the kid. What really made me mad was the father's reaction. Even after Florence showed her true colors, he still wanted to be with her. She was unreasonable and cold hearted towards a sick kid, and the man still longed for her. I started side eyeing him, when he had to think about visiting his sick son. However the ending was sweet and I did feel the urge to cry. It was obvious that her mind was poisoned by someone else, but still doesn't excuse her behavior.
  • First, I agree with the review by Art-22 in all respects. In addition, this is exactly what I prefer in an early Talkie, that is lots of talking. This film, and so many of its contemporaries, is essentially a stage play enacted for the cameras. As such it is a valuable record of Broadway at that time. Absent a time machine, this is our only way to experience something very wonderful, that is the American stage in the 1920s and 1930s. And let us give credit to Miss Lee and Mr. Nagel, both of whom were medium sized stars of the Silent Cinema. Here they are making the transition to a whole new world with bravery and sheer talent. This is not one of those films where the camera was nailed to the floor. Some actual camera movement and notice that some of the shots show a simulated ceiling above the set. Radio Pictures put some money into this production, especially the Art Moderne second apartment. Well worth watching if you like that era, otherwise deathly boring and silly!